Copenhagen tonight!

Pretty self-explanatory
VonOfterdingen

Copenhagen tonight!

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Well right now it's raining and quite cold. And now that it's an outdoor concert in an amusementpark it might be another kind of concert than the previous two I've seen on this tour.
The setlists seem ace though so I'm quite sure it will be a great night for me...

and for Copenhagen Fan, King Hoarse and EC and the imp :D
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

See ya there!

(I'll be in the front row sporting a great navy blue Solomon Burke shirt.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Right, I'm at a very sleazy Copenhagen hostel writing this, and I'm soaking wet. Still, a GREAT GIG! I can't wait for tomorrow night in Vejle. Just thought I'd post the setlist for tonight before I go to (stained and crumby) bed:

Accidents Will Happen
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Radio Radio
County Darkness
Needle Time (first verse fast, the rest groovy...very nice)
Less Than Zero
Everyday I Write The Book (Mersey-style)
Either Side Of The Same Town (first highlight)
Chelsea
Clubland (with I Feel Pretty coda...fun fun fun)
Good Year For The Roses
New Amsterdam/Hide Your Love Away (Beatles #1)
Complicated Shadows (second highlight)
When I Was Cruel 2 (third highlight)
Watching The Detectives
The Delivery Man/The Butcher Boy
(fun banter, eg. "Evolution is now a proven fact, considering last week in Istanbul" or something like that)
Monkey To Man
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down (first verse a capella soul)
High Fidelity
You Really Got A Hold On Me (Beatles #2)
Peace, Love And Unserstanding
Oliver's Army
Pump It Up (w/band introduction)/RAIN!!! (Beatles #3, for which especially Davey seemed totally unprepared...very fitting song, as it was pouring down at this point)

(more on Sunday)

PS. 20 minutes before the show, standing mid/front, I really thought I needed to go to the toilet, but felt that I had to catch at least one or two songs from this great spot, and the minutes crept slooowly towards showtime, then FLASH the gig was over, two hours later, and I suddenly re-realized that I needed to go. During the show the thought never hit me; they were that good.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

King Hoarse wrote:PS. 20 minutes before the show, standing mid/front, I really thought I needed to go to the toilet, but felt that I had to catch at least one or two songs from this great spot, and the minutes crept slooowly towards showtime, then FLASH the gig was over, two hours later, and I suddenly re-realized that I needed to go. During the show the thought never hit me; they were that good.
LOL. :D

You know it's good when you don't think about having to whizz. Love it.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I agree with King H. A great gig, they played better than in jan. and feb. and EC's added a lot more guitar to the songs. For starters Uncomplicated had a great and quite long solo part.

Elvis seemed in an extremely good mood and considering the venue and that it was an almost free concert, he got the crowd going.

It wasn't as long concert (i think they have to shut down at midnight) but I'm so envy at King Hoarse going to Vejle tonight. I'll bet they will play and 30+ setlist. (I'm having a party so can't really leave for a concert :))

But they rocked!!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

VEJLE WAS THE BEST COSTELLO GIG I'VE SEEN!!!

Song by song:

1. Welcome To The Working Week (great opener of course, the first chord had the old couple next to me covering their ears, which is always a good sign)
2. Uncomplicated (very good EC solo)
3. Clown Strike (always a pleasure, Davey plays really well on this)
4. 45 (introduction: "Next, we will summarize 50 years of political history, popular culture and my place in it in three and a half minutes" or something like that. And it rocked too.)
5. Country Darkness (very atmospheric, but sorta ruined for me by drunk fat talkative Dane behind me, and the old one next to me started looking at his watch and the exit repeatedly)
6. Bedlam (easily best version of this I've heard, the whole band excelled...is it official that Pete's the best drummer in the world yet? With Davey, that's the grooviest rhythm section this side of Bootsy. Elvis played some of his best guitar, and it's obviously the perfect theramin song)
7. Needle Time (again, first verse rocking, then groovy, with a great cat-screaming coda)
8. Rocking Horse Road!!! (backing off from the mic singing, then going into a song that may have been called Cheatin')
9. Human Hands!!! (with the money/drugs/household barands chorus)
10. Either Side Of The Same Town (brought a tear to my eye, 2nd night in a row)
11. Chelsea (most ferocious version ever...by now everyone in the house knew this was gonna be a great night)
12. Sulky Girl!!! (fantastic version, and I rememeber laughing when EC sang "prrrrretty flower")
13. Good Year For The Roses (best version I've heard of this too, it actually looked like Elvis needed to collect his wits for awhile after the song finished, the only longer silence between songs during the show)
14. Our Little Angel!!! (again, amazing version...Davey's great backing vocals contributed to my second tear shed last night. I didn't know I was this sensitive. Oh yeah, Elvis did the hilarious routine about the lonely hearts club origins of the song too.)
15. Suit Of Lights!!! (the classical-ish uptempo coda was probably my favorite Steve part of the show)
16. Toledo!!! (another highlight with off-mic coda, one of the best received songs)
17. Almost Blue (or Almost Deep Dead Blue, as I will remember it, because of the great Bill Frisell-sounding intro played by Elvis alone)
18. Kinder Murder (very powerful, with some great organ from Steve)
19. In The Darkest Place!!! (I've been longing to hear this with the band, and I wasn't let down. I can't beeliev how versatile they are...and it featured another great off-mic coda. The theatre had great acoustics, so easily the best live sound I've heard.)
20. When I Was Cruel #2 version 2 (one of the highlights, as usual I guess, with very animated Elvis...great lyric addition: "The captains of industry just lie there - LET ME KICK 'EM!")
21. Watching The Detectives (no matter how many times you've heard this, the Thomas Farragher groove machine still fascinates, obviously a big crowd pleaser)
22/23. The Delivery Man/The Butcher Boy (What is that weird four-string guitar he uses? It sounds great when he plays it, but TDM is still the weakest song of the evening, lots of people scurrying to the bathroom halfway through, which is a great pity 'cause they might have missed an electrifying Butcher Boy, with some of the most intensely emotive singing of the night. Weird that that lyric sounded like the most personal the way he sang it. Gave me the chills.)
24. Monkey To Man (great fun, especially Steve's playing, but with the weakest singing I've ever heard in an audience participation part...I could have sworn that the frist call and rsponse was just me and one guy on the other side of the stage. Again, the evolutionary intro was cheered wildly with the mention of Istanbul and that he'd recently seen a limo in New York with "Doggy Diva" written on it, withe one of the tinted windows rolled down a little and a paw with a diamond bracelet and cigarette holder sticking out. "Right folks, the dogs are taking over. There'll be no stopping them now")
25. Shipbuilding (the piano solo almost had me reaching for the hankie again, and this was probably the most powerful of the numerous off-mic codas, but unfortunatley it didn't really sound like Elvis' heart was in the verses)
26. Hurry Down Doomsday!!!! (YEEEEAAAHHHH!!!! Davey & Pete's rolling thunder, the best theramin I've ever heard, and a frantic Elvis beating the life out of his guitar and screaming his lungs out, this totally blew me away)
27. Peace, Love & Understanding (finally, a standing, jumping, dancing, clapping crowd...but not a singing one. Like the night before, Pete managed to hit right through his snare drum, but kept playing as it was replaced!)
28. Oliver's Army (still standing, and some even started to sing, very enjoyable)
29. Pump It Up (I spotted some eight-year olds jumping from seat to seat as all the forty-to sixtysomethings jumped on the floor, even the old couple next to me were standing and clapping at this point)
30. The Scarlet Tide (very beautiful and anthemic, again with fine backups from Davey, the perfect ending of a perfect night)
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

catch it here
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Graham Parker's show from last night is also being torrented as well. Thanks to all these tapers for making these shows available to us all.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Wow, King. I think that may be one of the most detailed accounts of an EC show ever. What a setlist! Glad you enjoyed it so much. I do envy you seeing him two nights in a row. :twisted:
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Dime A Dozen is max'ed out on user accounts. :(

Are there any alternative Torrent sites?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Man, that was fast! Can't wait to be there agaiin!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Well well well..........I too was at the Tivoli show and had a little bit different experience! It's always great to hear EC and the energy was there, the guitar playing was better than I've seen it, but the sound was not great and the singing was a bit weak, sorry to say!!!!! Overall it was a good concert that built itself up over time and grew on you. Maybe it was that joint I smoked halfway through that made it better for me!? No idea. I too was in the front row right in front of the stage and actually waited there for 3 hours to ensure my place.

Clubland was one great highlight as all band members jammed and EC did a cool solo, as was WHen I was Cruel and of course Either Side Of the Same Town. The boys are tired of the same old set I can tell, and have been kicking new riffs in and changing things up. Very positive. But EC's voice was off! BASTA.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

DrSpooky wrote:Dime A Dozen is max'ed out on user accounts. :(

Are there any alternative Torrent sites?
Doc, just keep trying at DaD. They clear out around 200 'old' accounts a day. Or you could try purelivegigs, they get the occasional EC torrent.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Yeah, his voice was really off at times, especially first verse of Good Year For The Roses was so bad the hairs on my arms stood up on end. In the rain.

But the sound was alright, I thought. Remember that when you stand up front in the middle at a place like the Tivoli open stage, you will only hear 50% of the monitor sound or so, and pretyy much zero of what the rest of the crowd hears, the speakers being a couple of metres away and directed away from you too. My pals in the middle and back said you could hear every nuance, which I can't say myself. I had to struggle to catch any of Steve's stuff when Elvis was playing electric. But I didn't mind. The party atmosphere of the guys around me more than made up for it.

And in Vejle the sound was the best possible, which you can't tell by listening to that torrent, where the bass is virtually nonexistent. But very enjoyable anyway!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I was standing 15-20 meters from the stage in Tivoli and the quality of the sound surprised me. Maybe because I suspected a really bad sound but for an outdoor concert I think it was fine.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Someone tell us what this blog is about!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://henrikcph2.blogspot.com/2005/06/ ... tello.html

Sushi & Elvis Costello

Tja ...Her skulle jeg så have skrevet om en rigtig god koncert oplevelse med Elvis Costello...men det blev jo voldsomt regnvejr fredag aften...så det blev kun til Sushi!

Anne og jeg havde midt på ugen ellers aftalt, at vi skulle ligge ud ved syv tiden med Sushi og et glas kølig hvidvin, inden vi ved ni tiden ville tage i Tivoli for at se Elvis Costello på plænen.

Men efter at have fortærret sushien, kiggede vi på DMI og måtte erkende at radar billederne så ganske skræmmende ud, hvilket jo senere vidste sig at holde stik..... det stod jo i bogstavligste forstand ned i stænger.

Så vi blev hjemme hos mig og ordnede istedet verdenssituationen... så på trods af regn blev det en vildt hyggelig aften :o)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The guy and his girlfriend were planning on having a sushi & wine dinner and then catching the Tivoli show, but the rain scared them away from going, so after the sushi they had a very pleasant evening at home instead.

If my Danish doesn't fail me.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

KING Hoarse.....exactly right with regards to the sound. Farther back it's of course much better, because one gets drown out by the amps and the PA speakers extend over one's head. It's still a rush to be so close to the Man and feel the energy. I actually met a Swede at the show, a guy who was pissed out of his skull and seeking shelter under my girlfriend's unbrella! Hope it wasn't you, as then I told you to fuck off ha ha.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

It wasn't me.

But I think I saw you there, if you're about my size (1,75-ish, which I'm guessing you're taller than) thinking we'd talk after the gig, but then the sky cracked open & I had no spare clothes or umbrella so thought I'd head for a warm bar to get some more wetness in me and less on me. In Tom's words, I was colder than a welldigger's ass. In Loudon's words, I was colder than a witch's tit, and also colder than a polar bear's nose.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

HOARSE....that was me then...I'm about 174. I was dressed in black with a hat on. Did you get a load of the two hot redheads next to me? :lol:
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

No, I only had eyes for you. :wink:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Hoarse did you find me cute? :lol:
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

With wet glasses, yeah...Great Dane indeed.

Here's a pretty good review of the Vejle gig in Danish, which I thought you or VonO could translate if you have too much time on your hands. (The guy knocks a star off because no songs off Get Happy!! or Trust were played!? That'll teach Elvis...not)

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelser/view.php/mreview_id=29489

Elvis Costello
Musikteatret, Vejle
Live

Dato: 04/6-2005
Endnu en triumferende hitparade fra Costello og band

Declan P. McManus – arkitekten bag en imponerende stribe genretrodsende albums gennem snart 30 år, og mesteren inden for kunsten at aflevere en sang snerrende og graciøst på samme tid – er efterhånden blevet en flittig gæst her i landet. Med en H.C. Andersen-opera/sangcyklus – The Secret Arias – med planlagt opførelse i Københavns operahus næste år, samt mindst fem koncerter, afviklede og fremtidige, herhjemme i år, må det næste logiske skridt for Costello vel være et sommerhus i Skagen.

Som resultatet af, må man formode, hårdnakkede forhandlinger fra Vejle Musikteaters side, kunne Costello med sine Imposters denne aften indfinde sig foran et siddende publikum i den jyske provinsby, efter aftenen før at have spillet i Tivoli som led i forlystelsesparkens fredagsrockarrangementer. (Og halvanden uge efter at have skabt en mindre skandale i forbindelse med en koncert i Norwich, England. Costello, der er Liverpool FC-fan, gik på scenen halvanden time for sent, for i stedet at se holdet spille mod AC Milan, til mange publikummers utilfredshed. Liverpool vandt i øvrigt på straffespark.)

Denne aften var der intet i vejen med timingen. Ulasteligt klædt, som til koncerten på Vega i januar komplet med glitrende Las Vegas-sko, samt et bredt udvalg af guitarer, indleder Costello med "Welcome to the Working Week", det første nummer fra det første album. Uden pause glides der videre over i det nervøst pumpende åbningsnummer fra Blood & Chocolate, "Uncomplicated" – ja, Costello har altid været et intenst bekendtskab.

Derudover stod første halvdel af sættet primært i det Americana-påvirkedes tegn, især i kraft af sangene fra det seneste albumudspil The Delivery Man. Sumpet bluesfeeling som i "Needle Time", guitarlir med grødet Neil Young-lyd, og bassisten Davey Faraghers backingvokal, der træder ind som live-erstatning for Emmylou Harris (med et særligt smukt resultat i "Either Side of the Same Town").

Førnævnte guitarlir er dog samtidig lidt af et problem, idet visse numre udstrækkes længere end nødvendigt. Blandt de mere interessante valg i sættet er sange som "Clown Strike" og "Human Hands", men de leveres lidt sjasket og ufokuseret. Samtidig har Costello noget af en rodet tilgang til fænomenet "elektrisk rytmeguitar", der gør, at tingene af og til mudrer mere end nødvendigt. Men pludselig, ti numre inde i sættet, sker der noget: trommeslager Pete Thomas sætter i med sin fandenivoldske og super-anspændte intro til klassikeren "(I Don't Wanna Go To) Chelsea" og alting løftes flere meter op i luften. Denne energiudladning efterfølges af en forrygende version af den næsten episke "Sulky Girl" fra Brutal Youth.

Herefter smider Elvis endelig sin mudrede el-guitar, skifter den ud med en akustisk, og leverer en indtrængende udgave af countryklassikeren "Good Year for the Roses", oprindeligt lanceret af George Jones. Efter en vittig monolog om de tidlige dage som folkemusiker i Liverpools lonely-hearts-clubs serveres to sange fra King of America-albummet, der ligeledes falder yderst heldigt ud. Dog er aftenens virkelige perle den efterfølgende version af "Toledo", skrevet med Burt Bacharach. Costellos stemme er på dette tidspunkt af aftenen blevet på én gang tør som gammelt læder og delikat som frisk jordbærtærte, og sangen leveres med kirurgisk præcision og suspense-fyldt underspillethed.

"When I Was Cruel no. 2" ledsages af udførlig gestik og snerren på de helt rigtige steder, mens the Imposters giver den som lummert rhumba-band på en dekadent natklub. Costellos trofaste tangentspiller Steve Nieve har taget en festlig skjorte med kulørte prikker på og ladet håret gro siden sidst, hvilket tilfører ham en stor del af den new-wave-energi, der manglede tidligere på året på Vega, hvor keyboardvirtuosen nærmere tog sig ud som den aldrende kapelmester for et kammermusik-ensemble. Sættet igennem drejer han rundt om sin egen akse, som om han ikke kan bestemme sig for hvilket klaviatur eller hvilket gadget han skal kaste sig over. En af de medbragte eksotiske artefakter er en theremin, der betjenes i "Bedlam" samt i en tændt og infernalsk "Hurry Down Doomsday".

Til slut er det blevet tid til de obligatoriske afsluttende hits, "Peace, Love and Understanding", "Oliver's Army" samt "Pump It Up", et dynamisk, men også lidt svulstigt, potpourri, der for en stund omdanner Vejle Musikteater til et stadion – på godt og ondt. Lidt rutinepræget, men hvad kan man gøre? Den intime stemning genvindes til gengæld under den afsluttende "The Scarlet Tide", hvor Costello forlader mikrofonen, for i stedet at synge et vers direkte og umedieret fra scenen til publikum.

Hvordan bedømme denne invaderende hitparade fra Costello? Seks stjerner kræver en slags ud-af-kroppen-oplevelse, og det var der trods alt ikke tale om. Fem stjerner kan det heller ikke blive til, bl.a. fordi Costello lige præcis denne aften vælger ikke at spille "High Fidelity" eller noget som helst andet fra Get Happy!! og Trust. Summa summarum: fire stjerner for endnu en kraftpræstation på dansk grund fra en af popformens store nulevende mestre.
Af Martin Nielsen
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran

Another triumphant hitparade from Costello and excommunication Declan P. McManus –

the architect at the back a impressive contest genretrodsende album by nearly år , and the adept in the art of surrender a song snerrende and gracefully at the same time as – is gradually been a industrious visitor in this country. By a H.C. Andersen - operand sangcyklus – Tea Secret Arias – by designed presentation to Copenhagen operand next year , and at least five concerts , liquidate and prospective , at home this year , can that next logically steps by Costello well være a summer to Skagen. That the output from , can decent presume , obstinate negotiations from Guide Musikteaters paper , could Costello by his Imposters that evening call ahead a sitting audience to the jyske whistle stop , after evening ante that orchard played to Tivoli that nasty to forlystelsesparkens fredagsrockarrangementer. ( and one and a half week after orchard built a less scandalous in connection with a concerto to Norwich , England. Costello , there's Liverpool FC - buff , went at the scene one and a half lesson too late , by instead that look team pretend to be against AC Milan , to a lot of the audience disaffection. Liverpool waterproof to other at straffespark. ) That evening were there no to the access by timingen. Ulasteligt dress , that to the concerto at Vega to january utterly by shimmer Las Vegas - wedgies , and a bank assortment from guitarer , initiates Costello by Welcome two tea Working Week ", that first number from that first album. Incessantly slip there forth by there edgy the pump åbningsnummer from Blood Chocolate Uncomplicated – certainly Costello has forever been a intense acquaintance. Additionally stood first half from put primary there Americana - had an effect evidence , for the most part by virtue of the song from that latest albumudspil Tea Delivery Decent. Sumpet bluesfeeling that to Needle Lesson guitarlir by pulpy Neil Young - sound , and bassisten Davey Faraghers backingvokal , there depresses in that cheer up - compensation by Emmylou Harris ( by a specifically nobly output to Either Paper of tea Same Town "). Aforementioned guitarlir is after contemporary awhile from a hangup , because visse tricks stretch longish than necessitated. Amid they better interesting choice to put is the song that Clown Knit " and " human Glove ", however they is supplied awhile sjasket and ufokuseret. Contemporary has Costello some of a mess access to fænomenet " electric rytmeguitar ", there doing , that the things on and off mudrer beyond necessitated. However abrupt , ten tricks in put , occurs there anything : trommeslager Pete Thomas putting to by one fandenivoldske and super - intent intro to klassikeren "( to Don't Wanna Go Two Chelsea " and everything promise several meter up to the air. That energiudladning subsequent from a forrygende version from the nearly episke Sulky Girl " from Brutality Youth. From now on throw Elvis final one mudrede electricity guitar , swapping the forth by a acoustics , and supplying a earnestly version from countryklassikeren " goodwill Year by tea Rose ", originally introduce from George Jones. After a vittig mono about they early days that folkemusiker to Liverpools lonely hearts clubs servers two the song from King of America - the album , there item are falling exceedingly success. After is evening actually pearl the subsequent version from Toledo ", written by Burt Bacharach. Costellos string is at this point from evening been at én walk dry that old leather and delikat that brisk jordbærtærte , and the song is supplied by surgical exactness and suspect - stuffing underspillethed. When TO Was Cruel no. 2" escort from full gestik and snerren at they all real spots , while tea Imposters treats the that lummert rhumba - excommunication at a dekadent natklub. Costellos constant tangentspiller Steve Nieve has taken a celebration shirt by colored dots at and charged the hair grow since the last time , whatever injection him a extensive part from the new wave - energy , there was short of sometime at året at Vega , where keyboardvirtuosen more explicit took themselves forth that the ageing bandmaster by a kammermusik ensemble. Put through turns he round about one the own axis , as though he no can be make up one's mind by whatever keyboard or whatever gadget he shall get one's teeth into. A from they medbragte eksotiske artefakter is a theremin , there serve to Bedlam " and to a switched-on and infernal " hurrah Down Doomsday ". At last is it been age to they obligatory bring to an end hits Peace , Rules hoax Understanding Oliver's Army " and " pump It Up ", a dynamically , however too awhile tumour potpourri , there by awhile converting Guide Musikteater to a phases – at good and evil. Awhile rutinepræget , however what can be decent do? The intime stemning regain on the other hand amid the bring to an end " tea Scarlet The time ", where Costello leaving the mikrophone , by instead that sing a version out-and-out and umedieret from the scene to audience. How mark that invaderende hitparade from Costello? Six asterisks require a kinds forth - from - the trunk - experience , and it was there in spite of everything no way. Five asterisks can be that nor become to , bl.a. because Costello straight exact that evening choose no that pretend to be High Fidelity " or anything that preferably different from Get Happy!! and Combine. Bottom line : four asterisks by another feat of strength at danish utterly from a from popformens heavy living manage.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Ha ha ha, that's funny.

So he came on stage in shimmering Las Vegas-wedgies and played songs from his new album Tea Delivery Decent :lol: as well as old classics such as Human Glove :oops: