to see in London?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
tallulah

to see in London?

Post by tallulah »

I know I am NEW but I wanted yur help - I am going to London for 10 days in October and would love any suggestions of cool things I MUST see. Nothing is too big or too small...

Cheers! :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

A bit obvious, but the Tower of London is brilliant if a little touristy, and the London Eye is worth a trip on a clear day.

Other than that, just keep looking up, the architecture is astounding.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Thanks!

I have actually been to the Tower of London - but have not experienced the London Eye, so I will check it out.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

London is incredibly expensive so the free Tate Modern is a must, and while you're there take a look at the Globe Theatre, a 5/10 minute walk away. The Japanese Kyoto Gardens in Holland Park is a (sorta) well kept secret. It was free when I went a few years ago but I think you may have to pay a small admission fee now. And the National Portrait Gallery is a personal favourite.

Do you like jazz? Not sure if this still goes on, but my ex-boyfriend and I used to go to the free concerts at the Royal Festival Hall then walk along the South Bank on warm evenings. It'll probably be too damp and cold in October to do that. But the free music bit is a must :D . God, we were so cheap!
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Saturday, Oct. 18th, London Brixton Academy, The Super Furry Animals!

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Shabby - you have a one track mind!

Cool recommendations Plaything. Don't know those Kyoto gardens. Gonna go. Agree Tate Modern is a must, and a lovely contrast to the Nat Gall, which is a free must alongside the Nat Port Gall. You could go for the London Eye at night if towns at night float your boat. And Cambridge is only 50 mins on a train. :wink:
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Otis, at the moment, yes. When Elvis comes back around these parts then it may divide.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

PoP, just saw a doco about Rothco paintings, some of which are at the Tate. I'd love to see them up close. If you've had a chance to see them, did they get your attention?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Yeah, I remember seeing one of Rothko's at the TM, Bamboo. Fabulously lit, with one whole wall to itself. Can't recall which one it was because, let's face it, they all look the same. I like him though my brother is the bigger admirer.
girl out of time

thing to see in london when....

Post by girl out of time »

make sure to catch a show at the shepherd´s bush empire or ronnie scott´s.....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Yeah, I remember seeing one of Rothko's at the TM, Bamboo. Fabulously lit, with one whole wall to itself....
i adore Rothko. some time not long after i got married, the Sackler Museum in Cambridge MA exhibited Rothko's murals for the Harvard Faculty Club, which were taken down a number of years ago, because the paint he used wasn't ageing well at all. they had their own room, and it was like religion seeing them. somehow Rothko paints the mysteries of faith, the glory and depth and pain of life, all in those silly color field canvases.
i tried doing my own color field painting for art class, and it was just dull in comparison. amazing stuff, yet one more thing that floats my boat. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's why I'd like to see a RothKo up close, for the full impact. Even on TV they were affecting; just the absense of anything but the purity and composition of powerful colour on that scale. There was a dark one I particularly liked, done just before he died. There's nothing else like them. In the doco they told a someone visiting his studio to look at Rothko's paintings for the first time. They looked around and said, "where are they?". They were leaning close by on just about every wall. He got a kick out of that.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate it. Now counting the days to my trip...
HungupStrungup

The play's the thing

Post by HungupStrungup »

Make sure you go to the theatre at least once. Whether you see a big, splashy musical or a modest one-act play at a local fringe venue, the theatre in London is a joy. Pick up a copy of TimeOut and read all the listings - you're bound to find something unexpected and worthwhile.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

the half price tickets booth, at piccadilly circus i think, was excellent for getting seats. if i'd had a BRAIN i could have seen Alan Rickman on the boards when i was there last. (i am an IDIOT.)

do not, do NOT go see Fame. it stinks. hopefully it will have closed aeons ago. i know, it sounds silly, but The Lion King was excellent. I totally groove on costumes, and the costumes were *outstanding* - and, i think the story actually worked better as musical theater. lovely stuff.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

My Mum and Dad who are ancient works of art!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!