iPods

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

DrJ (maybe it shoud be Dri :D ) said:
but the next time you connected the iPod to the computer, the tracks would be wiped off your iPod too.
That sounds a bit daft to me...is there a machine available where you don't have to do that?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

You mean, is there some kind of program which bypasses iTunes where I can just drag and drop the music I want onto any iPod?

Why yes, there is!

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Pov

Post by Pov »

Before I consider buying one of these, are you saying that if I transfer a music file to my iPod, and then erase the file from my PC, the next time a transfer a file the first one will be erased from the iPod? That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. With my Zen, after I rip a CD and copy it to the player I often delete the ripped file. I don't have enough disk space to keep everything I've ever ripped.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Pov wrote:Before I consider buying one of these, are you saying that if I transfer a music file to my iPod, and then erase the file from my PC, the next time a transfer a file the first one will be erased from the iPod? That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. With my Zen, after I rip a CD and copy it to the player I often delete the ripped file. I don't have enough disk space to keep everything I've ever ripped.
Yes, I need some enlightening on this too.

I hope this doesn't happen.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

It happens if you use iTunes, I see it as a conciliatory gesture by Apple that makes it a little more difficult to steal music/take your friend collection.

But you can use xplay (see above link) instead.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Re: iPods

Post by BlueChair »

laughingcrow wrote:iPods and their ilk....discuss!

Anyone got one? Im thinking of going for it, and getting one...but want other opinions. I heard that the battery on the iPod is crap as well, with a limited shelf life (and an expensive non-warranty replacement). Any views, ideas, comments?
I recently got one and am loving it. The iTrip is particularly handy in that it can broadcast to FM signals in the car.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I'm importing Yankee hotel foxtrot as we speak!!!

I LOVE this thing!

White Stripes "De Stijl" is perfect for tractoring by the way...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Glad you're enjoying it LTZ (and glad you got it working).

Is there anyone out there who hates their iPod..?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Well, apparently no one hates their iPod, but now I'm starting to get mini-obsessed (six months behind the curve, comme d'habitude), and I want to hear more iPod stories/advice/trivia! Not that I'm actually going to buy one anytime soon (that will take another six months), but I want to know...

-re: the not being able to delete any music off your computer problem: I heard this is only if you choose something called "syncing." Which means that you don't have to tell your iPod what to take from the computer, it will do it automatically. )But it will also delete any songs it doesn't see on your computer.)

-This may be a dumb question, but do you have to be hooked up to the Internet to use iTunes? I mean, obviously for the music store you have to be, but just to set up your computer and your iPod, need it be Internetty?

-What if you want the highest level of quality, how many songs will it hold? The original, I mean, not the mini, though that pink case calls to me...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I can't remember posting any of those posts... jeesh, good ole' July.

Well, right now I am excited for my Creative Zen Touch 20gb Mp3 Player. It has double the battery life of the iPod (24 hours), it has better sound quality (up to 97db signal-to-noise ratio), it has larger compatibility and accessibility, it has the convenient touch scroll for navigation, and it is cheaper (199.99$ to 220$ as opposed to the iPod's 299.99$ to 320$).

I am in the process of writing an essay for marketing about the iPod/Touch phenomenon- and how it compares to EA Sports' Madden NFL franchise and the better/cheaper Visual Concepts ESPN 2k franchise. EA cheaply purchased their victory, and have exclusive rights to NFL games for the next five years. :cry:

Anyway, Zen Touch for XMAS! I can't wait.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

WHAR just remember, don't even think of taking your Zen for a walk!

They're sensitive you know.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I do remember reading that post of your's, it sort of scared me. =(
I've read mixed reviews on its durability. Did you have a Zen Jukebox, Zen Xtra, or Zen Touch? The Zen Touch has completely different hardware than the other two... supposedly.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I had a Zen Xtra. Until it broke I was well pleased.

Creative said because it has a hard drive (i.e. moving parts) you should "treat it like a laptop". However, saw no sign of that advice in the manual etc.

I exchanged my broken Zen for products from other manufacturers.

Maybe I was unlucky, I know of a few outdoor users who've not had any grief. Good luck with yours.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Ohhh yes, the Zen Xtra has a HORRIBLE track record. I went into Best Buy and the one they had on display was even broken. They are just bad.

Thanks for the good luck, lets hope they got it right with the Touch.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

wehitandrun wrote:I am in the process of writing an essay for marketing
You're taking a class on marketing? In high school?! That's kind of sick. Wait, are you in college now?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder 10-- it's two and a half years old, cost $200, and has 10 gigs of memory. Soon after I got it, one with 20 gigs appeared for the same price-- that seemed like the ultimate bargain. Anyway, 2.5 years is ancient, technology-wise, but it's still going strong. Yeah, it's a bit heavier and bigger, but it's sturdy and dependable as hell.

Is it me or are the prices of these things going UP?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

miss buenos aires wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:I am in the process of writing an essay for marketing
You're taking a class on marketing? In high school?! That's kind of sick. Wait, are you in college now?
It's a high school class. It's a half-year elective, with one of the best teachers in the school. It's really great.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Is their a machine that lets you put songs on it without having to keep them on your computer for all eternity?
I don't give a shit about the file type as long as it sounds good, I couldn't give a monkey's about 'peer to peer file network love' or whatever it's called, and to be frank I'm not really that bothered about what it looks like hanging around my crotch or sitting in my bag...I just want to know if their is a machine that lets you put songs on it without having to keep them on your computer for all eternity?

If the answer is no, that is a big pile of steaming dog eggs, and I'm upset. I may have to take my peppermint tea and jam tarts early tommorrow in consolation.

If the answer is yes, please point me in the direction of the nearest nice man who will kindly sell me one (then tell me how easily damaged it is when I refuse to buy the 10 year warranty).
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Right....and I don't have to KEEP all my music on my computer for them to remain on the pod?

e.g....

I could burn a copy of Spike onto my computer, and then onto the pod...and then delete the Spike tracks off my coputer, burn The Boy With The Arab Strap on, and reconnect my pod, and the Spike songs would still remain on the pod.

Does anyone think the Zen touch is shite? If so, why?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

You could use the software that comes with the Zen Touch to rip your cd, then also transfer it onto the Zen. It is really convenient, and you do not need to keep it on your computer.

With the iPod- there is iTune nonsense that I choose not to deal with.

You can read the reviews of the Zen Touch on Amazon.com.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

LessThanZero wrote:We just bought an Ipod. I've been putting songs onto itunes, but I cannot FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THE IPOD WORK! It just keeps flashing "do not disconnect", and this little circle in the upper left hand corner of the screen keeps spinning.

Even when it's connected, there's nothing on the itunes page showing that I have an ipod connected...ugh... :cry:

Well, I got an iPod recently and now Im having problems with it! Im having pretty much this same problem ...

But, when I first got the iPod I thought I installed the software for it, and then I downloaded iTunes. But then I spent all this time loading all of my music onto iTunes (I just finished, it took me a solid 2 weeks to do it) ... and when I hooked up the iPod nothing happened, except the flashing "do not disconnect" ... but nothing on the iTunes page to show that an iPod was connected, nothing in the source column ... nothing. So I reinstalled the iPod software ... restarted my computer like it said to and then hooked the iPod up again, and nothing happened. So I started iTunes, since it didnt start on its own like it was supposed to ... and it says that the software isnt installed correctly and that I need to reinstall iTunes to get the iPod software to work.

Now, if I reinstall iTunes am I going to lose all the songs I just spent 2 weeks putting on there? How do I get this thing to work?

I think I might cry.