Elvis plays Honolulu , March/April 2006

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays Honolulu , March/April 2006

Post by johnfoyle »

Is this the longest notice of a Costello show ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... il10a.html

( extracts)

Pops lines up 'Bruddah Iz' tribute, Costello

By Wayne Harada
Advertiser Entertainment Writer

A musical tribute to the late Israel "Bruddah Iz"
Kamakawiwo'ole, who has made inroads into the popular
music landscape thanks to his "Over the Rainbow"
recording, is part of the diversity in the Honolulu
Symphony Pops season, beginning in September. The
slate also will include the Hawai'i debut of
hipster-rocker Elvis Costello.

• March 31 and April 1 — Elvis Costello. Costello,
whose 25-year career has embraced new wave, pop, soul
and the classics, is a Grammy winner for his 1998
collaboration with Burt Bacharach of "I Still Have
That Other Girl." A Best Song Oscar nomination, for
"The Scarlet Tide" (from "Cold Mountain"), followed in
2004. He is the spouse of jazz singer and pianist
Diana Krall.
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I hope it's better than the other Elvis in Hawaii!!!!

"hipster-rocker"!!??
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be another EC and the Imposters show.

This show is part of the Honolulu Symphony Pops season.

And remembering what he wrote about his future plans in the UK tourprogramme:

The Lincoln Center Festival, New York City in the summer of 2004 was a recent highlight. I performed over eighty songs during the three nights. <snip>... a large number of invitations have arrived from orchestral houses all over the world, some requesting a similar sequence of concerts and some wanting to perform "Il Sogno" either in full form or in suite form. Only time will tell how many such events will take place but I feel that live performance may provide the best opportunity for me to best present the full range [of] music that I love.

This may well be a one-off show with an orchestra!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

OK, quick. Who's in on the Hawaii Meet Up of 06?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Hm, it might be worth noting that Diana's playing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops on May 8th. See press release.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

When I look at EC's tourschedule, I notice that he takes a break of two and a half weeks after his May 5th concert.

So he problably will join Diana on her trip to Honolulu, he'll have a chance to see the orchestra and to discuss the programme for his gig in 2006 and ... then take a two week holiday (just guessing...!).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://starbulletin.com/2005/05/23/feat ... cendo.html

( extract)

The 2005-06 Pops season will open with "The Righteous Brothers: A Celebration By Bill Medley," a trip down memory lane with such favorites as, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin," and "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration." Jazz standouts such as vocalist Monica Mancini and trumpeter Chris Botti will thrill with classic renditions and new twists on popular music.

On the local front, "Tribute to IZ" will provide many chicken-skin moments, with songs by Bruddah Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, complemented by never-before-heard recordings of the gentle giant. A local holiday tradition in the making, "Christmas with the Brothers Cazimero," will set a warm mood for the holidays.

But the highlight of the new season will be the Hawaii debut of Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Famer Elvis Costello. One of the most prolific songwriters of our time, Costello will share some of his classics, such as "Allison" and "She," and will treat us to a rare performance of his symphonic orchestrations.

In town recently with his talented wife, Diana Krall, Costello was inspired by a private performance by ukulele prodigy Jake Shimabukuro, and has experimented with the local instrument. Maybe we'll get to see the famous British rocker strumming a uke!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/english/top.html

http://www.bmi.com/musicworld/musicpeop ... bukuro.asp

Jake Shimabukuro performs
Eamonn Singer

Post by Eamonn Singer »

I was chatting to EC's lighting engineer after the Nottingham gig last night. Apparently, EC is touring next year (2006) with Steve and an orchestra and the Honolulu date looks like part of that tour. My information is that EC will undertake an Asian and Australasian tour taking in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, India, Malaysia, the Phillipines, Taiwan and Honolulu. (Yes, India).

The format will be more jazz oriented than has been the case in recent years with the Imposters. On some dates they'll play part of Il sogno as the first half of the concert ! If you're really lucky he'll do highlights from North in the second half !! There appear to be no plans to bring this tour to Europe.

Nick

You read it here first.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/seaso ... t=18801991

Minnesota Orchestra

1111 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Elvis Costello

April 24
Monday 04/24/2006 7:30pm Orchestra Hall $29-$49

*** Tickets go on sale August 20, 2005 ***

Join English singer/songwriter Elvis Costello on his first symphony orchestra tour. His celebrated voice has transcended musical genres from rock to pop and jazz with new forays into classical composition. The first half of the concert features selections from his Il Sogno CD; the second half are Costello classics. Don't miss this one of a kind event!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tickets for Elvis in Honolulu next year go on sale tomorrow , August 1st.'05

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/982062

Fri, 03/31/06

08:00 PM Honolulu Symphony Pops - Elvis Costello
Neal S Blaisdell Concert Hall
Honolulu, HI
on sale:
Mon, 08/01/05 09:00 AM

Sat, 04/01/06

08:00 PM Honolulu Symphony Pops - Elvis Costello
Neal S Blaisdell Concert Hall
Honolulu, HI
on sale:
Mon, 08/01/05 09:00 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now , let me see if I've won the Lotto......
Eamonn Singer

Elvis Costello world tour 2006

Post by Eamonn Singer »

Forgive me for being self-serving here, but details have just emerged of EC's appearance at the Sydney Opera House, next January, playing with Steve Naive and an orchestra. Specifically:

7 to 26 January 2006
Elvis Costello and the Sydney Symphony, at Sydney
Opera House, Sydney. Costello performs compositions he
has arranged for orchestra together with songs
arranged by Burt Bacharach, Bill Frisell, Steve Nieve
and Vince Mendoza for this very special event.

You can confirm this by following this link.

http://www.qantas.com.au/content/dyn/ho ... al?lk=prqh

This confirms what I said in my post (above) last May.

Eamonn
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Eamonn Singer wrote:Forgive me for being self-serving here, but details have just emerged of EC's appearance at the Sydney Opera House, next January, playing with Steve Naive and an orchestra.

This confirms what I said in my post (above) last May.

Eamonn
I was chatting to EC's lighting engineer after the Nottingham gig last night. Apparently, EC is touring next year (2006) with Steve and an orchestra and the Honolulu date looks like part of that tour. My information is that EC will undertake an Asian and Australasian tour taking in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, India, Malaysia, the Phillipines, Taiwan and Honolulu. (Yes, India).

The format will be more jazz oriented than has been the case in recent years with the Imposters. On some dates they'll play part of Il sogno as the first half of the concert ! If you're really lucky he'll do highlights from North in the second half !! There appear to be no plans to bring this tour to Europe.

Nick

You read it here first.
Eamonn-Nick, Credit where credit is due, as a former girlfriend of mine would often say (not as often as "don't go there" however). It's amazing that not more has been heard about the likelihood of such possible concerts since Elv's lighting engineer spilled the beans back in May. Never been to the Sydney Opera House for a gig, it should be a blast.