The new album!

Pretty self-explanatory

How many weeks will "...Ivy" dominate the adult-contemporary charts, holding Nickelback and Avril out of the # 1 spot?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:40 pm

1 week
36%
2 weeks
64%

Total votes: 11

LessThanZero

The new album!

Post by LessThanZero »

The suspense is killing me.

Was anyone here at those shows in Memphis? I heard they were pretty "electric", but when Elvis played some of the songs in Chicago, they were acoustic, and they were AMAZING! I hope the album is more acoustic. Know what songs would be PERFECT on this album? The Judgement, and Scarlet Tide.

I can't believe "The Deliveryman" and "...Ivy" are always in my head...I heard them once, months ago.

I am so painfully wishing this summer right away...

OOH, let's make a poll question!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Is "...Ivy" the name of the album?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think he's referring to the song "Nothing Clings Like Ivy", which will largely be ignored by commercial radio. Sorry LTZ, it's the nature of the business.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh yeah, the album is called "The Delivery Man", finally a title.

http://www.elviscostello.info
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

NOTHING CLEANS LIKE IVORY! This song is so beautiful. I think it will be #1 longer than Hey Jude and Heard it Through the Grapevine COMBINED! I just hope there won't be as many assassinations as there was during that period.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I was thinking about the very point you raised Blue this the other day...Il Sogno probably won't sell very well will it. Im no expert of course, but North wasn't really a commercial success even though 'Elvis Costello' carries a certain weight with respect to sales. Anyway, I was wondering whether they will only make a limited number of these albums....or whether it might be more profitable for him to sell these albums online, thus cutting out any distribution costs. What do you think?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, one of the highlights of my year was to be standing right in front of Elvis at one of those Memphis shows. And while the crowd was certainly into it, I too doubt that those songs will go highly commercial.

The songs I saw him perform from Delivery Man certainly sound like some of EC's best original work in a while, but perhaps I'm a little biased because the songs remind me somewhat of KOA. If Elvis were worried about selling albums based on how he thought they would be received by the general public, he would have stopped making music a long time ago.

Bottom line - Elvis likes his music and knows that he has a fan base who will like it - or at least just purchase it because HE made it. In my heart of hearts though, I do believe these songs are golden. Of course hearing them from the man himself singing right in front of me doesn't hurt my opinion of them any in the least. :wink:

I also find myself wishing the months away until the album is here, but it seemed even longer when in April I learned the release date was September, and yet here is July. . . . .
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis isn't trying to sell millions of records. He's making the music he wants to make, while knowing he has enough fans to support himself and make a healthy profit. He knows he won't get much radio play anymore, nor will he top the charts, so he's not making a concious effort to do so. I respect that.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Well paint my cheeks and call me Sally. When is there a new album being released? I had no idea. I am shocked.

Shocked!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How's the weather under that rock there, SoLikeCandy? :lol:
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

These songs ARE goldan Spooky! This will be his best album EVER! I can't wait!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

LTZ, I love you.

and your signature.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

I was at the Memphis shows, too, and I agree that the new songs are something special. Depending on how things went in the studio, the new album has the potential to be a classic in my opinion. "Country Darkness" was my favorite of the bunch, and I can't get "Deliveryman" and "Needle Time" out of my head.
in a certain light, he looked like...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I like most of the new songs and am looking forward as ever to the new album.

I love Country Darkness, The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love and Needle Time (although I preferred the Snarly Elvis and Steve version I saw at Bournemouth).

I can't say I'm too keen on Button My Lip though.

Is there any speculation about it being a concept album?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

well I must be living under the same rock as Candy cos its news to me as well! So how the hell are you guys hearing these songs if the album is not out yet? Fill this moron in quick!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Gilli.

It's been reported on this site that the album will be called The Deliveryman and it's on JohnE's site at

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0711a.html

As far as already hearing the songs, I've got CDs of the April shows but that's our little secret Gilli :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Okay, I've read the article and I am now satisfied. I've got the news.

I suppose I haven't been as rabid for Costello news as I have been in the past--"North" and his marriage and musical collaborations with the Princess of Pop Jazz have pushed me to other things...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Thank you VG. I await the new album with baited breath......
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

I've also heard that the new album will be "the Deliveryman." I thought an earlier rumor of the album title to be much funnier: I heard it was going to be called "South."