Back to where we left off (conversation killers...)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

crow - oh, you mean the airport limo, or the airport shuttle.

hmmm, the times i've done that i've been in the back too. sitting up front would be too forward. :)

i'm fine w/ chattering on, but i bet you could have guessed that. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I've had some very deep, albeit drunken conversations with cabbies. I have never discussed the weather or business, but art, politics, music, and various methods of back support (okay, that one wasn't so deep, but it was very drunk, on my part, anyway, and quite enlightening).

Also, while I don't have curly hair, I do have very thick, straight hair, and am very prone to pyramid head.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Once, I lost this corset (and no, I wasn't wearing it at the time), and I thought I might have left it in the cab, so I went back to where the cabbies hang out in Jersey City. Luckily, I remembered the number of the cab I'd been in (69), but unluckily, my corset wasn't in it, and I had to buy another one. But the cab driver was super-nice, and insisted that I get in his cab every time he saw me after that.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

That might be a little disconcerting Miss BA...I just see a rough guy with a three-day old beard slinking along the curb in his cab with an arm out the window going 'c'mere....c'mere girl...git in the cab...'

maybe it's just me....
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
miss buenos aires

No, taz, it's more like he'd jump out of his cab, arms waving, souing, "Here! Here!" I guess that sounds a little disconcerting, too, but somehow I wasn't disconcerted.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

'souing'? Is that the sound a pig makes? :lol:

(this is the thread for random comments right?)
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

MBA, your description of the taxi driver made me giggle.

and boy, do i need giggles today.

and not the giggles of imminent insanity. i've GOT those.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Funny MBA still remembers that cab number to this day!

Glaswegians are generally very friendly...not like people from Edinburgh! :lol: well, they're not all bad! Tourists tend to say ED-IN-BORO...like Lou Reed in Modern Dance, brilliant song...but it's actually ED-IN-BRUGH phonetically.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

When I was in Edinburgh I was stuck with a very annoying person who pronounced it Edin-BURG (like Pittsburgh). For some reason I found this more irritating than just about anything else in the world. I was in a bad, bad mood that weekend . . .
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wasn't that the thing that sunk the Titanic? :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hey, Miss BA, I saw a really nice cab driver the other day wearing a corset. :wink:
miss buenos aires

Gra! I knew it!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

You know how when you're just a little bit drunk, how you notice something new and puzzling about something you're very familiar with, and it drives you crazy until you answer the question? Here's mine:

Does anyone know what is the instrument on The Long Honeymoon that makes a sound like 4 quick blasts from an aerosol spray can? It first comes in right after the first line, and then those 4 funny little sounds.

This was weighing on my mind all weekend, can't listen to it without the image of Pete Thomas standing there, waiting to spray his can of Right Guard, exactly on cue.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Sorry Goody not a clue...

true about being drunk and noticing weird things though...the other day I was genuinely shocked to realise I was 22 (and not 21 as I drunkenly thought)....weird.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That happened to me as well recently, Crow-- I was baffled and crestfallen to discover I was 42 and not 16....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:lol:

I was watching a show called Spaced today on DVD, great comedy...anyways, the girl in it is feeling a bit 'on the shelf' and asks a young married couple how old they are...they reply they're younger, and she tells her pal..

'We're older than that married couple'

he replies..

'Yeah, but only physically'

:lol:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

True story: today I got a direct mail appeal for reserving my spot in the local cemetary.

I am now officially old....
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Goody, I think it might be one of those things. You know, one of those thingys with metal balls around the outside, held in one hand and kinda twisted against the other. Looks like a baby's rattle. :lol: Damn I knew that book of 101 obscure instruments and their names would've come in handy....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my 10 y.o. son routinely receives advertisments from The Scooter Store and appeals to join AARP--worry not about the cemetary, SMM.

and due to the fact that I can't add worth shit, I turned 36 a few years ago thinking I was 37, so now I'm only 39 because that's fair, right?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh hell, I turn 40 this August, but we won't talk about that right now. :roll:

What I will talk about is this. I was driving the kids to school this morning and noticed a car in the middle of the road. It was just parked sideways in the intersection and I just thought it was some kind of idiot driver. As I passed by, I saw the driver passed out with his head thrown back. I almost stopped, but saw several other people begin to stop. I didn't want the kids to be late for school, so I dropped off the boys and came back by as I was taking my daughter to high school. In just those 3 or 4 minutes, there must have been a dozen people there, one a nurse, several people trying to talk to the guy, one person on the cell phone giving directions to the police and ambulance. I stopped to ask what had happened since I had just been by and they said it looked like a heart attack. The ambulance then pulled up and I needed to get Jessica on to school.

It was just nice to see that humanity still existed with all those strangers there helping that guy. I would have stayed myself, but I did have children to disperse about town. I don't know that they should have seen the situation anyway. But it still did my heart good to see that human kindness isn't totally out of existence.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wow, you had an exciting morning! it is nice to see people stop to help.

we stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work yesterday, and this very nice looking crazy lady walked up to my oldest daughter and said "are those 14" tires? they look like 14" tires."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Were they 14'' tires?

She might have just enjoyed automotive engineering!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

c'mon, we're dying to know. did you put itty-bitty tires on that mini-van? that would be a better story if the crazy lady would have been having a simultaneous heart attack.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it wasn't my vehicle she was referring to, but a mustang--I suppose they were 14" tires. I don't know. I just wanted to buy milk and candy. the phrase has become an overnight sensation around our humble house. yes, we are easily amused.
miss buenos aires

Is anyone else around here into America's Next Top Model? Somehow--I don't know how--I seem to have become obsessed with it.