Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

so lacklustre wrote:PoP Bunny - Lond Irish play Rugby Union nit Rugby League. I too have been to a few games, but not this season so far. Went a couple of years ago on St Paddyd day and they broke the world record for the number of pints of Guinness sold.
That's what I'm talking about when I say intoxicating! Sorry 'bout the league/union mix-up, my mate is still trying to teach me the rules.
You in Reading full time now Bunny?
Good lord! No!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I went to both the official websites for Southampton and Reading this afternoon. I was really intrigued with aligning myself with an up and coming team - but you need to register to even get the most mundane info on the Reading site - I was put off. I'm leaning toward the Saints - nice colors (I should practice writing colours) and I like the halo over the soccer (I should be saying football) ball on their insignia. So much to learn.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Prediction for this weekend (words to be forced down my throat by PoP on Sunday).

Spurs 2 Liverpool 1

Postiga to end his premiership drought with a fine volley form the edge of the box. Simon Davies to get the other from close range. A dodgy penalty gives Liverpool late consolation. Heskey comes on late and falls over a lot. Kewell gets plenty of diving practice and taricco pulls someone's hair.
:D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Good to see you back JD, but was it just coincidence that your absence coincided with with Totts spell in the bottom three?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Doofster

lol.... :lol: :lol: perhaps it was a sub-conscious thing.

Alas the real reason for my absence was a combination of the following:

1. Need to do some work
2. Need to spend sometime with my family over Christmas
3. My discovery of Pokermillion.com (stay clear!!!)

Anyway. good to be back amongst pals and i am looking forward to yet another premiership/champions league disappointment for the Gooners! :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Should be easy for the Wolves today... :lol: ...at home to ManYoo...probably win 6 or 7 nil......

I need help.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You'll be slightly disappointed with the 1 - 0 then? Where's Otis?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

How chuffed am I?! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Next stop...Champions League places!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ha ha!

Nice results on Saturday. Good to see Wolves prevail. Now watch us blow it on Sunday.

I'm off to the New England-Indy NFL playoff game. Hope I don't freeze to death! :o
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Doofster

hey PoP - Just call me Nostrodamus! :lol:
Jackson Doofster

come on PoP...where are you????

We have fuck all to gloat about all year and then we get the chance and nobdy bites!!! :lol: :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I wish we still had Robbie playing for us....the lad is a genius!

Doof...what happened with him being critiscised by a fan and getting into an argument...I never heard the details of that.
Jackson Doofster

don't know anything about that LC. I do admire the fact that he never celebrates when he scores against his former clubs (and there are lots of em!). The guy is one of the few footie players who ooozes integrity.

Talk of Spurs selling him on. Please God no!!!!!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

DOOF: Are we on the up and up or wot?? Maybe this season we will finish higher than mid table huh? :wink:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Doofster

don't hold your breath Gilli...you know how they love to build our hopes up and then collapse..... :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hello, anyone there? I've had to cut down my posting on here due to work commitments (a good thing I guess, in the jobless Bush economy).

In any case, I caught the Chelsea-Pompey match this afternoon and was happy with the result, though I must say that we tend to make very hard work of it. I think we have really been missing Duff and Crespo. Chelsea has not been pretty to watch this season, but we're only six points off the top of the table and Arsenal has just been sensational, as much as it pains me to say it.

The top three positions now look locked up. Who will grab the final CL spot? Not much suspense really. I don't expect anyone to catch Arsenal, and it will just be us and Man Utd battling for second and third place.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great result for you with Man U unexpectedly losing.

I thought Pompey were a little unlucky. If Yakubu hadn't missed that easy chance in the first half it would have been a different game although that did seem to fire Portsmouth up. Berger looked pretty lively too as did the unpredictable Lua Lua when he came on. Terry was superb though.

I transferred O'Shea into my Telegraph Fantasy Football side last weekend and he's managed to get me -5 points! Anyone want me to manage Arsenal?!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Whoo! 2-1. I was at Anfield last night for the Man C match, which, amazingly, was a decent game. Thank God we're in fourth now.

Anyone know what team Danny Goffey from Supergrass supports? I'm sure it was him sitting in front of us.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Anyone know what team Danny Goffey from Supergrass supports? I'm sure it was him sitting in front of us.
He's a Cockney Red isn't he? :evil:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Don't think the title race is over yet, a five point lead is still very slender and the Arse haven't been on a bad run yet this season. Agree that you are missing Duff and Lampard seems to be tiring as he is not quite the force he was earlier in the season. Crespo too was just starting to look like the real thing when he got injured.

4th place could go to any team that can string two wins together!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

No posts on this thread in a while. Otis, are you still around?

Pretty anticlimactic season, it must be said. Arsenal running away with it (those two one goal leads surrendered to them killed our chances) and no chance of Newcastle or Liverpool catching the top three. Must say I'm happy, though not overjoyed, with what the Blues have done this season. No really sparkling performances, apart from the 4-0 demolition of Lazio in Rome. A lot of ugly 1-0 victories.

And Ken Bates is gone. Good for the image of the club, I suppose, as he is widely detested, but he saved Stamford Bridge from the wrecking ball (and saved the club), so Chelsea fans will always have a soft spot for the old goat. And he is refreshingly outspoken, which I appreciate, even if I don't always agree with him.

Arjen Robben will be a great signing, and it looks like Joe Cole is on his bike (no great loss IMHO, as he is not always the smartest player). Should be a busy summer, with lots of departures and a few new faces.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Though I'm not entirely sure I want to know, can someone explain to me the association between Liverpool and YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE that Otis and others hinted at? How did we go from Carousel to footie??
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's the song that is played at the beginning of every match at Anfield. Hard to say exactly how it became so closely associated with Liverpool, but one rumour is that it was played at Anfield a few times before matches, then one Saturday it wasn't played over the P.A. but the Kop (the stand that is home to the most vocal 'Pool supporters) started singing it anyway. It apparently grew in popularity from there.

A lot of clubs have strange songs and chants associated with them. Chelsea plays the reggae tune "The Liquidator" before each of its home matches, and the supporters have some pretty bizarre chants - "One Man Went to Mow," "Celery."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ahhhh. Thank you for explaining that bit of arcana. It will still just be that-beautiful-song-from Carousel to me, but it is edifying to know these things....
Jackson Doofster

I always assumed that the song became a Liverpool anthem on the basis of the fact that it was merseybeat (Gerry and the Pacemakers) song etc