The Great CD Countoff

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

The Great CD Countoff

Post by BlueChair »

I did this a long time ago and can't remember the results, and results are bound to change.

Which artists have the heaviest representation in your CD collection? Let's go with a Top 10. Burned CD's and bootlegs do not count. Commercial CD releases only. Multiple disc sets count as 1 CD. Don't bother including vinyl or any other medium aside from CD.

1. Elvis Costello - 20 CDs
2. Bob Dylan - 19 CDs
3. The Beatles - 16 CDs
4. The Rolling Stones - 16 CDs
5. David Bowie - 12 CDs
6. The Byrds - 11 CDs
7. The Who - 11 CDs
8. The Kinks - 10 CDs
9. Jimi Hendrix - 10 CDs
10. Paul McCartney - 10 CDs
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Elvis Costello - 29
Dylan - 23
Bob Mould/Husker Du/Sugar - 23
The Fall - 20
Beatles - 18
Jam/Style Council/Weller - 18
Jonathan Richman / Modern Lovers - 14
Kinks - 14
Buzzcocks/Pete Shelley - 14
Joe Ely/Flatlanders - 12
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's a damn good thing they're compact.

space saving, see?

that's #499.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Why cant bootlegs and burned cds (and vinyl) count? It would change my list a bit, and it would send Elvis into the stratosphere of my collection.

1. Elvis Costello - 22
2. Tom Waits - 13
3. Bob Dylan - 12
4. The Beatles - 9
5. Elton John - 7
6, 7, 8. The Byrds, Everclear and Nirvana - 6 each
9, 10. The Clash and Elliott Smith - 5 each
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

do I count multiple versions (Columbia, Ryko, Rhino...) as one? Or three?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Three
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Let me just check...

Bob Dylan - 28
Tom Waits - 18
Elvis Costello - 17
The Beatles - 16
Bruce Springsteen - 15
The Rolling Stones - 14
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Elvis Costello 21
Jam/Weller 16
Bob Dylan 12
Pogues/Shane 11
Tom Waits 11
Beatles 9
Van Morrison 7
Proclaimers 6
Clash/Strummer 6
Billy Bragg 5
signed with love and vicious kisses
Misha

Post by Misha »

It appears that I have 113 EC cds.....this includes commercial releases, domestic and foreign, promotionals, cd singles and collections (all counted as one).

This does not include bootlegs.

Paying off a stalker is a legitimate expense, right? I might make some money here...

113...I think I need to go lie down... :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just finishing my list.

Aerosmith 15
Thin Lizzy 12
INXS 11
U2 11

Re: Tom Waits - 18 cds... it includes the Night On Earth Soundtrack (not very essential) and 'The Early Years Vol 1 & 2' (mostly insightful demos of songs on his first 2 albums, and some of non-released songs). I also recently found this link to some MP3s of some rare Waits in case somebody is interested... like Sea Of Love. And Mr.Henry (which I only have on a vinyl compilation of rare Waits called Bounced Checks): http://tom-waits.spb.ru/english/mp3.php3
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

Elvis Costello (35)
Bruce Springsteen (27)
Van Morrison (20)
Bob Dylan (18)
Beatles (14)
Tom Waits (10)
U2 (10)
Nina Simone (8)
David Bowie (8)
Otis Redding (7)
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
girl out of time

that´s weirrrrrrddddd............i don´t know what happened......
.......anyway........here´s my list again

elvis......35
bruce.....27
van.......20
dylan.....18
beatles...14
tom waits..10
u2.....10
bowie....8
nina simone...8
otis.....7
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
bambooneedle

Re: The Great CD Countoff

Post by bambooneedle »

girl out of time, when you put an '8' followed by a ')', you get a 8). Try putting a full stop in between them. Btw, how did you end up with so many commercial CD releases by Bruce?
BlueChair wrote: Burned CD's and bootlegs do not count. Commercial CD releases only. Multiple disc sets count as 1 CD. Don't bother including vinyl or any other medium aside from CD.
BlueChair, is Bridges To Babylon among your Rolling Stones collection? If so, how do you think it compares to other stones albums? I have not as yet heard it. I have, however, heard the new songs on Forty Licks, and they're very good. Any other people's opinions also appreciated.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I can't really be fair about the Rolling Stones. Even the songs of theirs I like I don't like very much. I don't know what it is. I understand why they're important, and I understand that people really love them. I just can't feel it. Weird.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
girl out of time

bambooneedle, i´m a BIG fan of mr. springsteen......i included all official stuff on that list: 20 albums (studio albums, live albums & compilations) and 7 cd-singles........if bluechair had let us include bootleg stuff, the list would have increased to.......hell i don´t know.....something like a 150 titles....
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

bob dylan-15
elvis costello-12
pavement/stephen malkmus/silver jews (they all have malkmus on them)-10
the beatles-8
the smashing pumpkins-7
tom waits-7
white stripes, wilco, various others-4

most of my collection is on vinyl so i counted that instead of cds
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

There are a couple of surprises in this list. I knew who would be #1 and and was pretty sure who would be #2, but I was surprised at how close the numbers are between them.

1. Elvis Costello 68 *
2. David Bowie 65
3. The Cure 38
4 (tie) The Grateful Dead 36 †
Björk (incl. Sugarcubes) 36
6. Bob Dylan 33
7. Peter Gabriel 31
8. Sheryl Crow 30
9. Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry 29
10. Bruce Springsteen 27

* no cheating here - no bootlegs, soundtracks, various artist compilations and the like. The 2½ Years box counted as one, and each singles boxes counted as one.

† I did include the Jerry Garcia Band, and a couple of Bob Weir and Mickey Hart albums. For sheer volume of unique recordings, the Dead should place higher than a tie for 4th, because of the number of multiple-disc sets that counted once each.

Honorable mentions: the next three on my list are U2, Kate Bush and the Beatles. If I were comfortable including their solo output with the group's, the Beatles would have made the list, probably at #3.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

girl out of time wrote:bambooneedle, i´m a BIG fan of mr. springsteen......i included all official stuff on that list: 20 albums (studio albums, live albums & compilations) and 7 cd-singles.
I forgot about singles. About the only albums I don't have are Tracks, the new The Essential Bruce Springsteen 3CD set (not that essential except for disc 3), and the Unplugged one (got the video though).
noiseradio wrote:I can't really be fair about the Rolling Stones. Even the songs of theirs I like I don't like very much. I don't know what it is. I understand why they're important, and I understand that people really love them. I just can't feel it. Weird.
It took me a long time to like the stones. I wouldn't know which of their songs you'd like best, but wouldn't consider their more popular ones among their more interesting stuff at all. In fact I get as sick as anyone might of hearing Fool To Cry or Miss You or whatever again and again. But they do have a certain chemistry and a strange way of catching me by surprise... of reminding of very simple, basic things. It's hard to explain.