Elvis on Conan

Pretty self-explanatory
taz
Site Admin

Elvis on Conan

Post by taz »

In case nobody saw it...

12:35 p.m. Late Night With Conan O'Brien: ELVIS COSTELLO
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I think it's Wednesday night (Thursday about 1:25 am) EC is on Conan's show, and then Thursday night (Friday about 1:25 am) he's supposed to be on the insufferable Craig Kilborn's show.

For those who may not have seen it/taped it (assuming you don't want to acquire the superlative DVD) check your local listings for the Roy Orbison "A Black and White Night" special. My PBS affiliate is showing it the day before Thanksgiving.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

ooops...sorry about that, it is on Wednesday night...apparently that might be useful... :D
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

bump!
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Now THAT was a good interview! I like when they actually devote time to interviewing the musical guests. It's interesting that Elvis was the first guest, and he'll be back later to perform.

And he's performing... playing the piano himself.. "I'm In The Mood Again"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Wooooo Hooo can't wait to see it in a couple of hours!!!

Love Conan....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

mp3s of this performance and interview are available at
http://www.geocities.com/L_Elvis_Cool_J/
Please be patient since it can only handle 2 people downloading from it at any one time. They will be available for a while.
John

Post by John »

Does anyone know if this show is to be broadcast on any UK channel?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

John wrote:Does anyone know if this show is to be broadcast on any UK channel?
http://www.cnbceurope.com/teletext/late_night.htm
Here's the list for the Conan O'Brien's on this weekend on CNBC, which is available on some UK and Ireland cable systems. EC's show maybe on this slot
-Sat 22 Nov 22:30 CET
to be confirmed
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Also, for those in the states with Comedy Central, they run the previous night's Conan every afternoon at 6:00 Eastern, 5:00 Central.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/l ... nanobrien/

Goody for me, 'cause I missed it last night. :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Conan commented to Elvis that North is quite a departure from WIWC. Elvis replied saying "and the next album is going to be a rocker again, and the album after that is going to be even mellower" or something along those lines. I wonder if that was just an off-the-cuff sort of remark, or if we can truly expect another rock album next?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I missed it too, thought it was on Thursday night. Guess Ill be taping Comedy Central tonight . . .

Is he still going to be on that other show Friday . . . which one was it?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

It's tonight actually, although it is technically Friday. It's Craig Kilborn's show, the post-Letterman program on CBS.

Kilborn has nothing of Conan's charm though, and if there's an interview, I wouldn't be surprised if there are barbed responses.
Sometimes it delays it"
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Blue: I don't know if the quote you mentioned from that interview was an actual listing of the kinds of albums he has planned for the future. He did say right after that, "I just don't like staying in one place too long." I've heard him say that before. I wonder if he just meant that the next few albums will have varying genre?

At least I caught this on Conan earlier and even taped it so DrS can see it later. One of my boy even watched it with me and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not inconceivable that a 12 year-old boy finds Conan hilarious. :wink: Or that he found the female guest attractive. :roll:
bobster

Post by bobster »

That "female guest" is none other than aka Eliza Dushku, aka Faith, the Vampire Slayer, said Bobster in his "Comic Book Store Guy" mode. (Let me now convene my minions in Elvis Costello-meets-Buffy fandom.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

No! I missed that one too. I had it all written down and everything . . . :(
Misha

Post by Misha »

Blue,

Yep, I heard the same thing, and I think it sounded semi-sincere. I think after the classical thing that's in the can we can hope for something rockin!!! I think he does it to keep reviewers on their toes.

I say we hold him to it!

Bobster....*****just shaking my head*****

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

The fact that there's more than one cross Elvis-Buffy fan on this board alone is a wonderous and beautiful thing.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Oh, no....Pip!!!

This is not a good sign.....

:wink:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Did anyone else think the interview on Conan was sub par?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I thought it was excellent in that it didn't ask many of the predictable quesitons. For example, I had never heard the story about when Elvis showed up for a Bob Dylan concert pretending to be Dylan's guitarist.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Good point Blue. Damn, you're a good moderator. :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I played it last night for DrS when he got home from work and we both thought it was a great interview for Elvis. He was witty, polite, and talked quite a bit. Conan, as always, was hilarious. :)
bobster

Post by bobster »

pip_52 wrote:The fact that there's more than one cross Elvis-Buffy fan on this board alone is a wonderous and beautiful thing.
I don't know if I've ever really mentioned this here but, in a weird way, it was Elvis who got me into Buffy.

When he played here with Steve on the "Lonely World" tour, he made a crack about TV censorship and singled out the episodes of "Buffy" that were delayed because of Colombine. (There were actually two, I think.) I kind of got the impression he liked the show. Anyway, it sort of whipped up my civil libertarian instincts and I decided I wanted to see the "banned" episodes just to see whether the shows were really all that violent or something. Tuned in one night and watched -- turned out not to be that episode. Tuned in another night. Damn -- the description sounded right, but this one wasn't it eihter. Tuned in a third night....still wrong, but I was hooked.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

The last season of Buffy was disappointing and annoying. Nearly knocked me out of the fandom, it did.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?