Disappointed about North

Pretty self-explanatory
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Still, anything's better than one of my former girlfriends, who insisted on playing Simply Red albums!!!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Laughing Cow...anything that gives me a blood engorged member works for me........ :lol: :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:shock:

Well.....quite.

:lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

North is the blood engorged masterpiece of the decade then......actually North is even interesting for my girlfriend.....FINALLY, I found an Elvis CD that I can listen to and discuss with a woman.....

I remember the years of hopelesness as I attempted to get my ex. wife to listen to the beauty of Human Hands......in vain.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well it figures that North would go down well in the north...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well it figures that North would go down well in the north...

literally
Misha

Post by Misha »

Ok, I figured it out....North is a lot like reading a book....one chapter flows into another.....sometimes seamlessly, so the song is so much like the song before it....

I like it, but I think I like it when he does a short story collection better, and all of the songs have a different tone and setting....

Maybe that is why I like Impatience the best so far.....very loungy and fun...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I have to say..North is not my favorite album..I prefer the Juliet Letters to this myself..It is a good record though...Just not one that is easy to fall in love with..

I prefer him being rowdy and rocking...like Blood and Chocolate...myself...then Brutal Youth...

It's quite possible that this will grow on me in time though...it's happened before..

But the bonus tracks are smashing...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think we all pretty much agree with you Elfy, preferring 'rowdy rythym EC' slightly more than the still brill 'moody melodic EC'...but if you like JL or PFM, you will learn to love North too.

It's funny how the songs from this album are actually quite memorable once you listen to them a few times...today i had 'let me tell you' in my head all day (but this should go in the angel and devil post).
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

okay, how do i get a copy of Impatience? is it that bonus track i was supposed to be able to download and couldn't?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh man Poppet....it was the bonus track on the Europe disk, and I thought it was on all of them.

I guess you could get someone on the board who has the means to burn it for you...it's quite a cool track. Alternately it might be released as a b-side or on a 'Cruel Smile' type CD.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

okay, i'll be cool and wait for it to show up somewhere accessible, or someone to befriend me. it's not a big deal. i haven't even thrown the dvd in the machine yet.

i guess i'm not always a good elvis fan, but then again, he himself says he doesn't have any, so what do i care? :) (see the german review for his statement 'i have no fans')
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

Poppet

I have it on mp3...

I was lucky that a friend got a copy of the advance of North..so I had the whole CD about a month and a half before it was released...

It still hasn't grown on me... :( But I keep trying...

I like PFM so much better...it's more singable...(and I like to sing a long with my discs) Cos well..it scares the nephews...etc..

Let me know...I can send it to you..if you have email that will handle it..

It's so wrong that the US never ever gets bonus tracks....
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I got North today, and I must say I was a bit dubious, Im a fan of the "rowdy" stuff (although I am also a big fan of the mans voice , and Almost Blue has always been a fave).

I tried to listen to it at work today and with interuptions etc , from what I heard through crappy headphones, it sounded average at best.

I got home, had a beer, put it on the stereo and was absolutely floored. Make no mistake, North is an awesome album. The melodies arent rammed home by repitition , but they are there, and they are amazing.

One of his greatest achievements. A truly beautiful record. One of his best ever.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I was impressed with <i>North</I> when I first put it in my CD player on the car ride home from buying it. It's so honest and yet so simple. The emotion in his voice alone makes the album worthwhile. I think for many Elvis fans it might be a letdown because there isn't the same sort of wittiness in his lyrics, no biting antics or wordplay that he's notorious for to make the listener think. To me <i>North</i> is more about making the listener feel rather than think.

Though maybe I'm just a sap

:lol:
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

RedShoes is Right! Welcome aboard! 8) :D :lol:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Thanks, LTZ! Glad to be here :)
billyboy2674

Post by billyboy2674 »

cbartal wrote:North is a masterpiece. It ranks high among his best albums. It may even be his best. 10, 20, even 50 years from now this will be remembered as his rebirth in the industry as an adult, and I don't mean a VH1 adult.

You want punk, go buy a White Stripes record, or Eminem, both of whom I love. Elvis will be busy writing masterpieces from now on.
-cant agree enough with the above commentary. :shock:
-let me tell you about her-
hush now,I've said too much.......
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's definitely a 'sixth play' CD. It suddenly sinks in how god the songs are and how engaging it all is. I think it's very clever to make a non-immediate but still very engaging record. Compare it with The Thrills, to pluck an exmple at random. They've been getting a fair amount of hype and recognition in the UK, and I'm sure in Ireland, no idea about the US (though the Irish band recording their first LP in California and sounding like direct heirs of The Byrds is a good ploy to make it big there). Their songs are sweet and nice, well crafted, nicely played and sung, well recorded, but it seems to me that you know and appreciate everything you'll want to almost on a first lisstening. Fine for first timers, but how uncool would it be for elvis to be less subtle after 25 years of top notch songwriting?

It also helps massively, I think, to have seen the songs live. It's unfortunate that the recording doesn't convey some of the same warmth. The person (Pip? Poppet? - sorry can't remember) who first heard the songs live (in NY, I think) was very fortunate to have had it that way round.