The Return Of The Imposter: National Ransom No.2

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

The Return Of The Imposter: National Ransom No.2

Post by And No Coffee Table »

One Jimmy Quickly posted a series of cryptic messages on Twitter over the two days.
http://twitter.com/#!/jimmyquickly
The Return Of The Imposter?
1983: "Pills And Soap". 2011: The Return Of The Imposter?
"National Ransom No.2"?
Elvis Costello vs The Return Of The Imposter: "National Ransom No.2"
Elvis Costello vs The Return Of The Imposter = "National Ransom No.2"
"National Ransom No.2"? That's right.
Seoul Power. Elvis Costello In The Return Of The Imposter: "National Ransom No.2"
The last of these has been retweeted by Elvis' own Twitter account.

I believe they are intended to lead us to this:

Jeremy Dylan

Re: The Return Of The Imposter: National Ransom No.2

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

This is the Tom Waits version, is it.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

This is more in the style of the remixes issued with the singles taken from ATUB or WIWC # 2.

IMHO too much of the accompanying video appears to have been shot on a mobile phone, in the back of a taxi in Seoul. However, as an accompaniment to a new "release" it has much to commend it. Elvis (or his management) truly seem to be embracing some of the possibilities of the new social media. Don't expect this arrangement to have a formal "release" any time soon.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:This is the Tom Waits version, is it.
Yes...with a bit of that weird middle section of The Bridge I Burned & some Stalin Malone, as well.

I like the video very much...lots of cool imagery. I feel like he might have actually made it himself--or at least most of it--playing around with I-Movie over his winter break. And I love when Elvis presents us with these mysteries and intrigues. It's a lot of fun. So I guess he really hasn't forsaken NR out of spite or resigned from show business or anything so dire...Just had himself a rest and some family time and now he's back at it. Good.

Now if he would just use some down-time to update the Frets & Struts page of his site...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
jardine

Post by jardine »

with just a lick of stations of the cross near the beginning, almost. On first hear, this "arrangement" seems much more in line with the lyrics--that flash of the n.r. cover wolf in garish color, the old Tokyo storm warning 1950s video images, etc., trace something of the awfulness, confusion and anger, betrayal, etc. of the song's topic better that #1, i think.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Okay, THIS is more like it. A hugely promising baby step towards Elvis figuring out a way to use the internet to release new music. Something of a milestone.

I'd happily pay a dollar for this alternate version, although it's enough of a low-key oddball version (I agree that there is a real Cruel Smile feeling to it) that he's not likely to attract too many paying customers with this alone unless it's bundled with a couple of other tracks as a digital EP or something.

But it IS a start. Elvis may have been making noises that NR is his "last album" but it's cause for hope that he saw fit to put this out there. He surely knows that only the truly devoted would really be interested in such a thing...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

this very much reminds me of when RYAN ADAMS hands us down freebies: cool videos, bits of songs, entire unreleased gems, or live clips! if you are not in the know, RA gave us hundreds upon hundreds of pieces of music from 2006-2009 in just this manner. it is an 'open to anything' format for E to deliver us MORE music!!!! i say bravo for NR #2 and what it can open the gates to in the future. thanks!
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

anyway to get an audio version that we can download here? thanx
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

fred darden wrote:anyway to get an audio version that we can download here? thanx
I'll extract the audio and upload the mp3 to MediaFire tonight.

P.S. I don't love it - agree with the Tom Waits comment, but I'm liking EC's use of "modern" music distribution.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Yup. This is Elvis doing a bad Tom Waits impersonation. Can't take it. Almost as bad as NR No.1, but not quite. Maybe by NR No. 14 it will be palatable.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm not surprised that a track like NR #2 might be off-putting to many-- it's EC in an unpleasant, sonically aggressive mode, striving for a certain kind of mood effect rather than creating a, shall we say, "listenable" song-- but I will never understand the general antipathy towards NR #1. I just don't get it. It's a really terrific opening track that sounds like the smartest track The Traveling Wilburys never wrote. Yet it's probably sparked as much dislike among EC fans as any track I can remember.
docinwestchester

cwr wrote:I'm not surprised that a track like NR #2 might be off-putting to many-- it's EC in an unpleasant, sonically aggressive mode, striving for a certain kind of mood effect rather than creating a, shall we say, "listenable" song-- but I will never understand the general antipathy towards NR #1. I just don't get it. It's a really terrific opening track that sounds like the smartest track The Traveling Wilburys never wrote. Yet it's probably sparked as much dislike among EC fans as any track I can remember.
My main complaint is the overall sound of the track. It's poorly produced, IMO, especially compared to the rest of the album which for the most part has a brilliant rich sound. Of course, the live versions are fantastic, especially Letterman's which is very well mixed. Lots of violin and dobro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWjBxagz3jo
Last edited by docinwestchester on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jardine

Post by jardine »

#2 is very muddy sounding, bu at 4.8 megs, that is to be expected, i think. after three listens, though, i'm really starting to like it...
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'd say that, while this was clearly not the track to make a big splash with online, and though it has only sort of been announced in cryptic twitter clues, it's still somewhat shocking that it's only garnered 150 or so views.

How many Elvis Costello fans are there who still follow new stuff he does? Are the people who buy tickets for shows just in it for the older hits?
jardine

Post by jardine »

this version got played in Tokyo?????????????????????
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

cwr wrote:I'd say that, while this was clearly not the track to make a big splash with online, and though it has only sort of been announced in cryptic twitter clues, it's still somewhat shocking that it's only garnered 150 or so views.

How many Elvis Costello fans are there who still follow new stuff he does? Are the people who buy tickets for shows just in it for the older hits?
Well, it doesn't help that if you search for "Elvis Costello" on YouTube, you won't find this. Someone should let him know it helps to mention the artist's name in the title or description to help point people toward it...

Dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Does anyone think that the "return of the Imposter" is a reference to the production team of that name that produced WIWC and the Cruel Smile remixes???

Dave
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Does anyone think that the "return of the Imposter" is a reference to the production team of that name that produced WIWC and the Cruel Smile remixes???
Interesting thought. The "Seoul power" tweet was retweeted by John Kelly, EC's favorite Irish radio host.

I'd ask whether Elvis had visited Ireland recently, but I don't think he can enter the country without being spotted by the Foyles.
jardine

Post by jardine »

regarding mp3 of a vid on youtube, this works fine:

http://www.vidtomp3.com/

just plug in the youtube video url
docinwestchester

the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

This is really really good.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

NR#2...instrumentally, I really love it. As CWR said--striving for a certain effect. I'd say he achieves it. A fun and interesting tidbit. Hope there will be more like it as he wanders through Asia. Maybe a new take on Tokyo Storm Warning...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

docinwestchester wrote:mp3 file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1bdqwmike8v9z
Many thanks as always, much appreciated.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Between this song and his Paul Simon liners posted on Huffington Post, it's like March 1st was the day Costello learned to use the Internet...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

cwr wrote:Between this song and his Paul Simon liners posted on Huffington Post, it's like March 1st was the day Costello learned to use the Internet...
Indeed. And thanks for the link, Doc!
Last edited by wardo68 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.