What EC vinyls do you own ?

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

What EC vinyls do you own ?

Post by when i was cruel »

Iam just curious what ones people have around the forum if any and if you've got a special story about it or something.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
the_platypus

Re: What EC vinyls do you own ?

Post by the_platypus »

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

All the albums/most singles vinylly (some cassette only on cassette-later vinylled-CDd...) up till/including 1989 Spike/1 or two vinyl 45s since then ...

In 1989, when getting into computers post-digital death of music, I got rid of thousands of vinyls including my faves such as Beatles-Floyd, butfortunately kept a heck of lot including EC and Dylan and Simon-Garfunkel ...

Post 1997 all my foolishly-moved-on vinyl was 'replaced' several times on CD etc ...

Costello mattered/still matters to me, which is why I get sarky at times about his departing these sinking shores of UK for Brave New World ...

If we had no CDs etc, I would have spent even more money on e.g. Linn Sondeks. I would though have preferred it if we were still a vinyl musical world. I accept digital is convenient.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think I've got everything released in the UK on vinyl,and a fair bit of US material including National Ransack which eventually arrived last week ! I've got both the promo versions of Almost Blue and IB and the 2 x 45 rpm promos for Get Happy (rarely played I admit.) I spent the equivalent of the GDP of a small South American republic back in 1988 on aKing Biscuit Flower Hour 2 disc (3 sided) recording of Philadelphia 11 August 1984 but one of my rarest I think is that I've got 2 versions of You Little Fool on single one of which states "produced by Geoff Emerick from an original idea by EC" and the other says A Side produced by ...etc and then another statement Produced by Nick Lowe - trivial or what !! I also have the 2 12 inch versions of Everyday I Write The Book .
Like Charlie Stumpy, I mourn the loss of vinyl despite it's obvious inconvenience and still prefer to use it as a format for listening in my "music room". My pride and joy is a Michell Technodec turntable which is a thing of beauty as well as a superb record player and I recently bought MAIT on the 180g Mobile Fidelity label and relished the wonderful detail exposed by my set-up.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I am pleased that people are still enjoying superior EC via superior vinyl.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I have the Mobile Fidelity vinyl of MAIT, TYM and AF, as well as a few others - Momofuku, RIR, SP&S, NR (and National Ransack). Also still have an old beat up copy of the Columbia Trust. The MoFi reissues sound absolutely magnificent and I would highly recommend these to anyone. Can't wait for Get Happy!! Hope they continue on after that.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wordnat

Post by wordnat »

I have a sealed MAIT with stickers saying NEW FROM COLUMBIA RECORDS and ALBUM OF THE YEAR: ROLLING STONE CRITICS AWARD....and a $5.89 price tag! It's awesome. 8)
krm

Post by krm »

.....too many to be considered as "healthy" :-)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

krm wrote:.....too many to be considered as "healthy" :-)
me too...what DON'T i own is more like it??? let's see....i need:

FOR THE STARS
GET HAPPY!! double promo
and the two 78's.

certainly there is more. but, not much off the top of my head...
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Just counted 102pcs of 12" size records (lp and 12"), probably as many 7".

Favorites are:
MAIT UK Stiff first issue
MAIT/TYM US picture disc
Costello/Lowe/DeVille US Orange vinyl promo 12"
El Mocambo CAN promo lp

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... php?id=459
krm

Post by krm »

watercamp wrote:Just counted 102pcs of 12" size records (lp and 12"), probably as many 7".

Favorites are:
MAIT/TYM US picture disc
El Mocambo CAN promo lp

no Swedish TYM?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I found the Geoff Parkyn Illustrated discography an invaluable aid to collecting vinyl when I started seriously collecting around 1984.
Now available,on ebay for a tenner ! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Costello-Il ... 19bf58b23c
History History

Post by History History »

I have every UK 12" vinyl up to Spike including "Help Us Hype Elvis" Stiff Records promo, every UK 7" vinyl EXCEPT 13 Steps Lead Down - I just can't get hold of a copy. Anyone have a spare? :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

now i gotta make sure i do have one of those myself!! thanks HH!
History History

Post by History History »

I forgot to mention the 10" Baby Plays Around EP! I'd be interested to know if anyone has 13 Steps on vinyl - it seems to be quite scarce. Any luck, Ba?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've got 13 Steps on 7" vinyl with Do You Know What I'm Saying on the B-side - purchased In Notting Hill Music Exchange in 1996 if memory serves me right just before one of the July Shepherd's Bush Empire gigs.
Also got my MOFI TYM today but haven't had the chance to listen yet - should be exciting if it's half as good as the 180g MAIT.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

History History wrote:I forgot to mention the 10" Baby Plays Around EP! I'd be interested to know if anyone has 13 Steps on vinyl - it seems to be quite scarce. Any luck, Ba?
yes, i do. but...only one. sorry HH!!!
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

krm wrote:
watercamp wrote:Just counted 102pcs of 12" size records (lp and 12"), probably as many 7".

Favorites are:
MAIT/TYM US picture disc
El Mocambo CAN promo lp

no Swedish TYM?
No Swedish TYM, no
No 13 Steps 12 or 7
Yes Baby Plays 10"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

As you can see I've tracked down a copy of this , via ebay for €9.00 (+ €10 postage from Copenhagen) - yay!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

See how much better the 12" sleeve of this album looks. Besides the artists being more centred in the image the title lettering has more impact with the extra colour on either side. Playing the album is in this format adds to the listening experience. After the delightful gloom of side one reaches a cresendo in The Letter Home the pause necessitated by the act of turning the disc over allows you to kind of take stock and appreciate all the more the relative levity of Jacksons, Monk And Rowe.
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

This one will always be my favorite, only 500 in the world!
Attachments
My Aim Is True-This Year's Model USA Promo PD 2.jpg
My Aim Is True-This Year's Model USA Promo PD 2.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 22822 times
My Aim Is True-This Year's Model USA Promo PD 1.jpg
My Aim Is True-This Year's Model USA Promo PD 1.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 22822 times
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Another favorite, the non authorized Canadian marble yellow/black vinyl.
Attachments
Armed Forces CAN CV.jpg
Armed Forces CAN CV.jpg (125.29 KiB) Viewed 22777 times
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Crikey chaps just scanning through all your Costello listed vinyl and had to check if I had 13 Steps 7", didn't know it was rare how many pressed ? I do have copy so another less to track down, I must add all the regular releases to my Costello flickr set. Not that I own myself but anyone have the heart shaped M.F.V. or the Black & White Stiff Vinyl release or more to the point BUY DJ 20 Radio Edit, I don't check these days but a couple of years back some great rare EC boots came up on ebay , I have a few but they can out of hand !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletrig ... 934840251/

I like the 7" boots and Japanese releases, I missed a triple 7" German boot that came up on ebay once , enjoy the pix the M.A.I.T. pix with 30 odd versions is not mine, I was just stunned when I saw it, a line has to drawn somewhere......
doesn't it ?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Have the usual suspects, inc N Ransom and Ransack plus a few 12inches and singles.

These include the 45rpm of "45". This record means a lot to me and I played it over a massive PA system in the foyet of the Bluecoat Arts Centre at an event to celebrate John Peel Day. The song's central concept of the importance of music in one's life ("every click every heartbeat") just seemed so apt.

My latest acquisition was the LP of Secret, which was a birthday gift last week.

Probably my only real rarity is "A New Year for the Roses": http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _The_Roses

Colin Top Balcony