Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: Recently viewed films

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis, will definitely give this new film a try-my family loved the "Triplets of Belleville". Thank you for the link to the promo. Have you seen the last Miyazaki film Ponyo? Highly recommend it. My middle daughter adores it and him. She will be returning to Japan this winter and will probably spend a great deal of time at the Gihibli museum if I know her when she can get into Tokyo from Kyoto.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Missed Ponyo. Have tried to get my youngest into Miyazaki and he's only half-interested. These things are so much more exciting on the big screen. Wishing I'd seen Spirited Away there. My in-laws are staying, and it turns out my mother-in-law is keen to see L'Illusioniste. She lived in Edinburgh in 1960, more or less exactly when the film is set, so she is sure to love it, and my father-in-law is a Tati fan. Great excuse for me to go a second time. there are so many details to drink in I know it will be worth it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

'Dinner For Schmucks' - Some very funny parts. I'm not really a fan of Steve's, but he was O.K. in this. The dioramas were excellent. Jermaine's character of the avant-garde and tortured artists was very funny.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm leary of people who have over two hundred friends on Facebook.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Enjoyed watching "Solitary Man" the other night. Very funny with a tender undertone that softened the often barbed satire. Michael Douglas was a revelation playing against type in a subtle manner sending up his screen image of womanizer and ner do well, playing an aging middle aged man who is fighting his aging and becoming 'invisible' to the people and world around him. Ironic some of his dialogue given his recent diagnosis for cancer[which I hope he beats]. This character is reprehensible but yet quite loveable. Good cast led by Susan Sarandon, Danny DeVito, and Jesse Eisenberg. An intelligently fun two hours and I loved the ambiguity of the ending. Douglas makes this movie in a way I have not seen since "Wonder Boys". That is two good films as I also enjoyed "City Island" with Andy Garcia. A film that shares some of the concerns of "Solitary Man".
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

I do not think that I will ever get enough of watching Michael Caine. Last night caught the latest film featuring an excellent performance by him as an aged pensioner brought to violence by the living conditions in the South London housing complex where he is left to live his retirement years. The movie is titled "Harry Morgan" The place is ravaged, ugly and overrun with drug thugs. Caine's character Harry has his best friend in the project brutally assaulted and murdered. The resulting conflagration is cliche but somehow Caine makes the agony and fierce determination of his character come alive on the screen. The man is a one man acting class.
Jack of All Parades

Ice Nine wrote of this previously but got to see it last night myself- "El Secreto De Sus Ojos"- which won the Best Foreign Film Oscar this past year. These type of films do not come into my area often so I rented it. A most impressive film. The title tells a lot about how the film is shot as camera angles focus on the eyes of the protagonists and their individual eyes really do some impressive acting. The way the director shifts the action between past and present and in effect tells the story through each characters eyes made me take notice as if I was in each actors head peering out. Was not prepared for the devastating ending and punishment for the villain. Needless to say it is particularly effective as a metaphor. Truly enjoyed this movie. I was also grateful that the score was an aid to telling the story, not your typical over the top and annoying noise in the background. Effective usage of the score.
Jack of All Parades

Have to give a plug for a small, shaggy dog type of movie I watched last night- "Leaves of Grass". It stars Edward Norton and a cast of others including Susan Sarandan and Richard Dryfess. The story is pedestrian good twin, not so good twin but what Norton does with the dual characters is stunning. He slyly inhabits both and makes you believe one is an Ivy League classics professor and the other a sly, pot growing and dealing sluggard back home in Oklahoma. His dual portrayals held my attention the entire film which is impressive because the story is weak. There is an extremely funny cameo by Dryfess and even the acting debut of Steve Earle. Also enjoyed the soundtrack which made effective usage of John Prine and Townes Van Zandt songs.
Jack of All Parades

Caught a small, independent film the other night with my wife, "Winter's Bone". The story in of itself is cliched, poor backwoods populace in the Ozarks of Missouri but what redeemed the film was the performance of a young new actress, Jennifer Lawrence. She imbued her 17 year old character with a flintiness and maturity well beyond her years. The weight of that small world was etched in her face and eyes. I hope to see more of her in the years to come in other roles.
Jack of All Parades

Had a chance to see the new Danny Boyle film this weekend with my family while in Boston, 127 Hours. Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and in particular the breakout performance by James Franco as the trapped hiker. Not for the faint of heart but you simply cannot keep your eyes off of Franco as he moves from cocky outdoorsman to a desperate trapped man nearing death. The shadings he gives to his character are astounding. I do not think I ever want to hear the sound of breaking bone again- it was chilling along with the aftermath.
Otis Westinghouse

Kind of a bone theme developing here... I missed 'Winter's Bone' but was keen. Boyle one sounds good. I spent an enjoyable evening watching the wonderful Tim Burton 'Sweeney Todd', plenty of blood and bones in that. Wonderfully imagined, like a far darker rendition of the world of Oliver, with loads of great Sondheim songs, and some rather fine singing by Depp.
Jack of All Parades

Otis had not noticed the 'bone' theme until now- really do recommend both but if you have the chance rent "Winter's Bone" -Ms Lawrence is exceptional.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Watched "Winter's Bone" the night before last. Had too high of expectations going in I guess. Yes, the girl did an amazing performance, but she reminded me a little of Renee Zellweger for some reason. Still, the story wasn't as good as I thought it would be and the whole movie left me flat. I was glad when it was over and would never want to watch it again. It had its creepy moments, but only because it had that unpredictable edge to it, and I expect more out of movie than to simply have me guessing who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. If this had been some big money film out of Hollywood it would've been panned, but since its an Independent, its automatically supposed to be better and deserve all this acclaim?? I don't get it.
Jack of All Parades

Two films of note that I have recently enjoyed. The first is "Cairo Time" featuring the incredible Patricia Clarkson. Her characterization of a middle aged woman stuck in Cairo and in a 30 some year old marriage and her awakening to her own feelings through a chance encounter with a younger Egyptian business associate of her husband is incredible. The subtle nuances and the shadings of her emotional change are a wonder to watch. Hope she gets some award recognition for this performance.

The other is a jazz documentary, "Dave Brubeck", by Clint Eastwood that celebrates the career of this still vibrant and energetic 90 year old. The look of sheer joy on his face when he plays is reason enough to watch the film, let alone the great music that fills the soundtrack. Alexv, he is your neighbor, living over in your neck of the woods in Wilton, CT in a beautiful home with tremendous landscaping. Makes your part of the world look wonderful.
Jack of All Parades

Had the pleasure of viewing "Black Swan" yesterday with my family. Still cannot stop thinking about it. As a study in mental illness and the ways it can make a mind spin out of control it is masterful. A viewer truly feels as if he/she is occupying the injured mind of this dancer both by means of inventive camera work and perspective and through the intelligent portrayal of the dancer by Natalie Portman. The conflicting images that barrage the viewer are disturbing as you watch this young woman slip into madness and her 'perfection' at the same time. I have never seen the physical toll that dancing can take on a body depicted in this way: the torn and ravaged feet, the protruding bones and skeletal physique of a prima ballerina. Ms. Portman as the young dancer tapped to perform the lead role in "Swan Lake" has never been better. There is a scene with her in agony, her face twisted in cries of pain, that captures the essence of this young lady's mental pain within its vivid grimaces. She is assisted by an able cast including an excellent supporting role performed by Mila Kunis. I think I just viewed the winning Female actress performance for the Oscar for 2010. Natalie is that good.
Jack of All Parades

I was so pleased to see this piece by A.O.Scott in today's Special Oscar section in the Times on Natalie Portman's performance as the tortured ballet star in "Black Swan". I share it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/movie ... ref=movies

I firmly believe it is the winning performance this year and its intelligent and scary depiction of an artist leaping over the edge is terrifying. It is one of a kind and I feel fortunate to have viewed it recently. It is memorable.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Just saw Black Swan as well and admired it more than enjoyed it, although I echo Christopher's praise for Natalie Portman, who was excellent. I also saw 'The Fighter' which I found to be hugely entertaining. Melissa Leo is just fantastic as are Bale and Wahlberg.
Jack of All Parades

Took the family to see the Coen Brothers' remake of "True Grit" this afternoon[last chance to view it as a family as two daughters are shortly off for the Orient for extended stays]. They are in fine form with this movie and I rank it up there with my favorites from them, "Fargo', "Blood Simple", "Raising Arizona" and "The Big Lebowski". It has an antic quality and is dead on funny. The anti-western theme from the cult novel is carried onto the screen with the varied performers and characters. What catches your attention vividly is the cinematography by Roger Deakins[there is a spectral horse riding scene towards the end that is timeless]. The dialogue is like listening to a Mark Twain script as retold through the voice of Thomas Berger[shades of Little Big Man] It is hilarious and spot on. Jeff Bridges plays Rooster Cogburn dead pan and milks the role for all the laughs. But the real revelation for me was the young actress, Hailee Steinfeld, as the fourteen year old Maddie so wise beyond her years. She steals and holds every scene she has in this movie. I am a great fan of westerns and the Coen Brothers have done this genre proud and have given it their own unique stamp. One final treat was to hear Iris Dement[always a treat] singing you out of the theater to the strains of "Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting Lord] yet another 'quote' to yet another great film.
Otis Westinghouse

The King's Speech in a completely packed cinema. Colin Firth is splendid. I didn't really know much at all about the story of George VI's stammer and the man who helped him overcome it. All very well staged and directed, loads of quality character actors, would be nice to see Firth get an Oscar for his part. Black Swan opening in a couple of weeks. I want to see 127 Hours too. And the Uncle Boonmee Thai film that won at Cannes and sounds great and has some amazing scenes in its trailer. Haven't been at all in recent months and now want to go loads.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The Social Network was very good.
Jack of All Parades

Otis- agree with Pophead regarding "The Social Network" . Caught it the other night with my wife and we were quite taken by it. I have noted Jesse Issenberg before but he is most effective in this movie, catching the nth degree intensity that Marc Zuckerberg has as witnessed previously in a 60 Minutes interview done about a month ago. It is creepy the sheer force of his intellect and the way it obliterates any tangible social skills which is ironic given the network he created. One cannot deny his 'genius' but as a person I would want nothing to do with him. Loved the image at the end of him sitting alone in the conference room just reflexively friend requesting the one woman who saw his tragic weaknesses as a person. Sad movie. One caveat, the soundtrack is exceedingly annoying and tends to intrude on the dialogue throughout the movie making one wish there were subtitles on the screen.
Otis Westinghouse

Totally meant to see it and failed! It was on at the wrong time. It's great that there have been some real crowd-pullers like this and the above on at the venerable Arts Picturehouse, Cambridge's only cinema of any class or individuality. It was heaving the other night. King's Speech sold out, the bar and foyer heaving, etc. This is what it should be like, and Black Swan will keep up the trend. Unfortunately I've missed a new David Byrne live film Ride, Rise and Roar. Trailer looked great. Lots of rehearsal scenes with ballet dancers and Byrne still as skinny and wired as in Stop Making Sense, just with white hair. The music sounded good too.
Jack of All Parades

Just back from viewing "The Fighter" with my wife. Thought I was seeing three movies at times with the fight story, the family story and the relationship story. What held it together was the stellar performances by Christian Bale, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams as they worked in each individual story. I am convinced there is nothing that Christian Bale cannot do as an actor. Amy Adams was exceptional as the girlfriend trying to pull the Mark Wahlberg character Mickey out of the destructive hold Mickey's family has on him. Her performance was eye opening. Scariest moment- anytime that pride of harpy sisters entered a scene. I've seen people like that and it is scary.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

gotta ditto CS remarks about True Grit. The dialogue was so ... chewy? Glad I shelled out to see it in theater as well. The John Wayne original was on last Friday on tv and it was cool to see just how closely it was followed and still be something completely different. That's how you make a remake, I think.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Biutiful, new film by Alejandro González Iñárritu, with Oscar-nominated Javier Bardem in the lead role. I enjoyed Iñárritu's Amores Perros very much, and this has a lot of the same grimy urban life featues to it, this time set in Barcelona. Funnily enough I'd watched Bardem in Allen's vicky Cristina Barcelona only at the weekend, which is a bit of lightweight fluff with lots of pretty Barcelona shots, and Biutiful is the absolute opposite, with lots of tawdry shots of the city and almost none of its tourist landmarks. It's a powerful and sad film about an ill man involved in dodgy dealings but trying to do the best for his kids. It contains some brilliant visuals and lots of powerful moments. Highly recommended and if Colin Firth doesnt' get his Oscar, I can only hope Bardem does (he won best male in Cannes for the role).