The Thompson / Costello Connection?

Pretty self-explanatory
Top balcony

The Thompson / Costello Connection?

Post by Top balcony »

It's probably old age, but I'm struggling to remember the truth of this statement on the Richard Thompson Meltdown site :

" Over his career he has collaborated with ( long list including) ...Elvis Costello....."

I know that they performed on Spectacle 2 and that EC has preformed / recorded a couple of RT's songs.

But "collaborated" implies some working together a la Burt/Macca/Allen etc.

Have I missed something?

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Re: The Thompson / Costello Connection?

Post by bronxapostle »

the day i saw EC join Lucinda Williams at Guiness Fleadh at Randalls Island as i predicted on the way there, Richard also played a set at the other stage and i was half expecting E there too. But, no. However, Richard did one of the most amazing guitar solos i've EVER seen and i've seen them all except for Jimi.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I'm sure I read (possibly in EC's GCW sleeve notes) that Richard Thompson was called into the studio to work on that album, but not used. The inclusion of "Withered And Died" is a kind of acknowledgement to that...If there is anything It´s probably on the cutting room floor. There must be oodles of unheard studio takes of this ilk..Pogues, Specials, and lots of other people besides, who you might not expect.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Collaboration may be too strong a word, but following his appearance on Spectacle (some of which is here:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJKnk09YuQU

I have a strong feeling that EC will appear at RT's Meltdown in June, in which case expect the two to share the stage at some point.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Richard said that Spectacle was the first time he and EC were on the stage together. He said there was a period where they spent time together but noting formal musically - I'll find the link again and post it (it might be on the Spectacle season 2 thread here already)

If they go there, RTs press things usually have wording about "who's music has been covered / performed by ..." and that list includes EC
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man