Lost In Translation

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Lost In Translation

Post by BlueChair »

Has anybody heard about this upcoming movie directed by Sofia Coppola and starring Bill Murray, Giovani Ribisi, and Scarlett Johansen? It's being highlighted at the Toronto International Film Festival and comes out later on in September.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/maindetails

It looks really cool, and here's the Elvis content:

The trailer has "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" playing at one point, and then we see that Bill Murray sings it karaoke in the actual film! Yeah!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

HOLY HECK YEAH! That premise is HI-LARIOUS!

Team up Bill Murray with any karaoke machine, and it's golden.

But singing PL&U in Tokyo!? I'm dying! :lol:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

BEAUTIFUL film Blue.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad you enjoyed it...definitely my favourite film so far of 2003, though I really haven't been impressed by many of the films so far this year.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just caught up with this and "beautiful" is the operative word. One of the most gorgeous films I've seen in a very long time. The cinematographer (don't remember his name) definitely deserves an Oscar nomination, if not the real deal. Tokyo has never looked more like another planet, more beautiful than our own.

Even better, unlike so many movies with spectacular cinemetography, it doesn't depend only on that -- it's just part of the moody, almost dream like story, and I like how it plays out in a not too definitive way. We can all walk out of that movie with our own "sequel" playing in our heads.

Still, I've seen a couple other movies this year I like better -- but then I see way too many movies! (My favorite new movies I've seen recently are "American Splendor" and a more or less unavailable Korean film I reviewed called "Save the Green Planet." In its own modest, formula way, "School of Rock" was also pretty great, but I think I've said that elsewhere.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

You're a lucky man bobster.

Lost in Translation is probably the best film that will pass through Kalamazoo until lord of the rings hits.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I haven't seem American Splendor yet Bobster. I cannot wait!
Have been a reader of American Splendor since the early 80s, finally have it complete!

Way back when I was looking for a hard to get issue I even wrote to Harvey. The reply is the most illegible chicken scratching I have seen, but I teasure it!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Is that the film about th guy who was in a comic about his life? I wanted to see this comic ever since I heard about it, but can't get it here. The fim doesn't seem to have been on here either, even at the GFT where they show foreign/obscure films.

Are you a big fan Blue?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sorry, a big fan of what?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think that question, about American Splendor I think, was directed at me.

I'm a fairly enthusiastic fan. Haven't read the entire run, but I've been a heavy duty respector of Mr. Pekar since seeing the play "American Splendor" performed at the San Diego Comicon during the time Harvey and Joyce Brabner were in the middle of their "cancer year." (The play starred Dan "Homer Simpson" Castellenata and was a LOT better than the play appears to be in the movie, it was also later on in the story since the movie has the play happening before the David Letterman appearances and the play I saw actually included them.)

Richard -- Actually, if you'd been a woman, you might have gotten yourself a date with Mr. Pekar that way, since as the movie documents, that's how he met his wife!

Laughing Crow. Probably the best and easiest way to catch up with the "American Splendor" comic books now is to buy some of the various compilations which should all be available via Amazon. (I believe the publisher is Four Walls, No Windows, if I've got the name right.)

The movie is actually based on the entire run (he's done one a year since he started in the early eighties) as well as the "graphic novel" -- I hate that term, it's just a long comic book! -- "Our Cancer Year" which is great and should also be available.

I actually met Pekar once when I bought a few issues and "Cancer Year" from him at the convention. (It was a year or two later and he was in much better health -- looked about twenty years younger!). He asked me how I wanted him to sign them, did I want them "to Bob."

I was feeling a bit Pekaresque myself that day and said something like, "it doesn't matter...I mean it's not like I'm going to leave her and pretend we're personal friends or anything."

"You spent $35.00 on my comics," he said his voice in it's raspy phase. "You ARE my personal friend!"
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Bobster - although I still treasure my letter from Harvey, your annecdote regarding your meeting with him is pretty unbeatable!

I can only imagine who you must have met at such an event!

Glad to see there is someone else on here who has an interest in the independent comics world.