My Aim Remains

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

My Aim Remains

Post by El Vez »

First I want so say thank you to everyone who has continued to keep in touch with me; especially BlueChair, Miss Buenos Aires and Sp00ky Girlfriend.

Taz.....Why do I not have your email!?!?!
Noiseradio?

I remain humbled by my good fortune in these past few months. Lelia and I had the day off and were going to go to Dollywood (cue snickering) but the weather was not cooperating so we shopped around for our next apartment. We want to get a house, but we both need to be working full time for that to fly. Mostly, we want to get the fuck out of the place we are currently living in. Too many of our neighbors are prone to domestic disputes at ungodly hours.

Some movies, music and books I've been into lately-

Sentimental Hygiene. I think this might be the best Warren Zevon album ever. I think of Bluechair and Bambooneedle when I hear his INSANE Springsteen raveup, The Factory. Boom Boom Mancini and Reconsider Me are also startlingly good.

Timequake. It's not Breakfast of Champions or even Mother Night, but Kurt is still the coolest American writer since Thurber.

Spellbound. Thanks to a certain Bob Dylan song, I am a lifelong Gregory Peck fan. This is a very interesting Hitchcock film with a lovely performance by Ingrid Bergman and a truly inspired dream sequence.

Hedwig & The Angry Inch. I was a latecomer to this film but was blown away by it all the same. Better late than never.

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams. Absolutely hypnotic even if the Martin Scorcese cameo is a bit jarring.

Tender Is The Night. This has to be my favorite Fitzgerald novel.

I apologize for the randomness (in more ways than one!) of this post.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Welcome back good buddy! I knew we would eventually pester you until you came back. :wink:

Where the hell is that avatar?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Welcome back - we have missed your posts ! Glad to hear all is going well for you and that you are happy. Does this mean you are going to become a regular poster again now?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Mr. EL VEZ..I'm a huge Zevon fan myself, and think Sentimental is quite tasty....my favorite moment of the record is Neill Young's guitar solos on the Title Track...now that is hot !!!!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Huzzah! El Vez is back! Nothing could make me happier! Well, maybe if I had all my books read and certain boys would call me more often...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

MISS BA...I'll give you a call...! 8)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Dollywood! whoa, i wanna go to Dollywood!

did you see the episode of Graham Norton, when he went to Dollywood? SCREAMINGLY FUNNY! Dolly even dressed as a boy for her appearance on his show. i taped it, it was so silly.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh My God - was that funny or what? I waited for weeks on that when I saw the previews. That was the biggest scream! You liked it too, Poppet?

You know, it was especially funny as I have always lived in the South. But I thought he was very kind and appreciative and I think he REALLY enjoyed being there. :)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

El Vez, my mother's people are from Maryville/Alcoa TN. still have relatives there.

and i'm serious, i do want to go to Dollywood. Went to Opryland when i was a teenager, and i could NOT appreciate it. i now know better.

youth is so freakin' wasted on the young.

best wishes for the home search! i have fantasies of moving to Chattanooga when i finish school - Lookout Mtn ROCKS.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Poppet-

We live on Alcoa in what could be called the poor side of town. It's driving us crazy because we are so ready to get a bigger place, get a dog and have a kitchen two people can occupy.

Saw Dolly on The Today Show singing a really bad (like, Lee Greenwood bad) patriotic ditty. Dolly Parton is a truly great talent but I cringe whenever she does corny, schmaltzy stuff like that.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

yeah, alcoa is the dump and maryville the nice side. i've never lived there (i might have spent months there when i was very small, but don't remember) but visited often. hey, my stuckup aunts were born in alcoa! i'd tease them, but they're long gone now.

all that country music listening i was forced to do as a kid sunk in. i LOVE bluegrass, and roots country.

oh, dang, i went and looked up house ads for chattanooga. for a girl used to boston prices, they're *disgustingly cheap*. scary, but true.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Welcome back! We missed you! :D
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

In reference to MBA's comment......these guys must be idiots and/or cowards to not call you back post haste. My best guess is they are intimidated because you're smarter than they are.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

El Vez wrote:My best guess is they are intimidated because you're smarter than they are.
It didn't intimidate Cope Fan.... (sorry Cope, couldn't resist it)

Welcome back El Vez. I was in Korea last week - can see why you left.
Where's North from 'ere?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Poppet - I spent my whole life in Chattanooga until I moved to Huntsville seven years ago, and I still go there frequently.

If you need any info, just let me know. :lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

hee hee Stormy.....I love women who are smarter than myself! Then I can just play "brainless meat machine"......but I'm not as dumb as I look.. :lol: