New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Pretty self-explanatory
always dancing

Re: New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by always dancing »

Just saw the Clinton episode. Interesting conversation but why didn't he play the sax. He has done it before and could have held his own on a tune. Maybe he didn't think he would be good enough.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Really enjoyed the Bill Clinton episode. Nice to hear him talk about guys like Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman. I doubt W even knows who they were/are.

James Burton was wonderful and the Metheny/Haden duet at the end was lovely.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

C'mon Sam - Kenny G is one of Clinton's favorite musicians - and Elvis was too elisitst to pursue Clinton's real musical inspirations - it might have been interesting to see them discuss Anne Murray and Kenny G - but the interview was way too lightweight and watch it again - Clinton clearly doesn't know who James Burton is at the outset of the show. If not for the muscial perfomances - a complete waste of time.

Here's one of the songs he references on the show. Try watching this all the way through.

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2008/ ... s-costello

Phil Hogan
The Observer, Sunday 21 December 2008

Elvis Costello has evolved in more ways than one since his gawky New Wave persona when no one could get a smile out of him and he was happy (if that's the right word) to let his garrulous, trenchant songwriting genius do the talking. These days, you can't shut him up once he gets going and he's as likely to be found writing a Danish opera (or anything else in the musical encyclopedia) as singing Pump It Up for the millionth time. But could he front a chat show?

Well, sort of. Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ... the Police didn't get off to the smoothest start, what with the host not knowing whether to read his autocue or sing it. And you had to shake your head at Elvis's clipboard technique. But it got better. Andy Summers talked about his "big" guitar sound and duetted on a Charlie Mingus number. Drummer Stewart Copeland was amusing and clever about Egyptian rhythms. I'm afraid Sting got minus points for playing a giant Elizabethan lute and wearing a silk shirt open to the navel, but he did rescue an experimental version of Alison (Elvis had removed the tune) with a fine, soaring harmony, and Walking on the Moon was pretty good.

On the whole I liked it, and am already looking forward to Tony Bennett, Lou Reed and Rufus Wainwright. Sometimes, music can be as interesting as it sounds.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:C'mon Sam - Kenny G is one of Clinton's favorite musicians - and Elvis was too elisitst to pursue Clinton's real musical inspirations - it might have been interesting to see them discuss Anne Murray and Kenny G - but the interview was way too lightweight and watch it again - Clinton clearly doesn't know who James Burton is at the outset of the show. If not for the muscial perfomances - a complete waste of time.

Here's one of the songs he references on the show. Try watching this all the way through.
I didn't say that I liked Ann Murray or Kenny G, did I? IMO it was an interesting discussion. I'm not Bubba's biggest fan (or his wife's), but it was a decent interview. Musical numbers were the highlight, though. I'd agree with that.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for e.g. links to the Clinton vids-songs - will try to wait until Christmas Eve (morning of) for UK CH4 transmission etc.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

johnfoyle wrote:an experimental version of Alison (Elvis had removed the tune)
Great description! Phil H is a huge Elvis fan and has often made refs to him in the Observer.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The recording I've just seen of the Channel 4 broadcast last night of 'Spectacle...' featuring Rufus Wainwright was the most satisfactory of the episodes I've seen. Elvis is more relaxed and assured and , despite atrocious editing and fragmented presentation , it's possible to gain the impression that a cohesive conversation took place.

Readers who want to see the Jan.'09 Sundance broadcast with fresh eyes should stop reading now!

The show starts with Elvis singing 'If I Only Had A Brain' , accompanied by Bill Frisell on electric guitar. Wearing , as he would for the rest of the show, a luridly red hat and dark suit he carries the vocal very well. He includes a verse that , it seems, doesn't always feature in performances -

'Yeah, it's sad, believe me, Missy,
When you're born to be a sissy
Without the vim and verve.
But I could show my prowess, be a lion not a mou-ess
If I only had the nerve.'

In a nice little twist the word 'my' before 'prowess' is sung 'me' , a verbal trick common in Irish folk songs , the grammatical error serving to give a impression that the singer is beyond such convention etc.

Elvis' introduction of Rufus is straight forward enough, much calmer then the Police intro,. emphasising how the few weeks of taping that had intervened had tightened up his presentation style. Originally Rufus was going to be sharing this episode with Renee Fleming so the intro. refers to him as being the 'first' guest of the night. We now know it was judged that enough material was there for two shows - it must have been too difficult to edit. the reference.

Elvis starts the interview by asking permission to quote himself , saying how he once wrote on a note with a album ' like fucking up my life just so I could write stupid little songs about it'. He then connects that with Rufus having spent most of his first few albums writing about the travails of his early life etc. Elvis is , of course, referring to his note with the 2002 Rhino edition of Blood and Chocolate , except he wrote 'messing' instead of 'fucking'. Checking that up , I'm struck that, ironically, he wrote that as his relationship with Cait O'Riordan ended.

After a break the conversation continues , covering Rufus' career. Talking about the Judy Garland album , Elvis talks about recording standards , making them more contemporary etc.. He mentions meeting Iggy Pop on a 'plane and how the Igster told him he was going to be recording a 'standards' album. Elvis continues that he urged Iggy to continue to wear the see through plastic trousers when he sang them. Thanks Elvis.

Elvis ' n Rufus discuss Rufus' sexuality , how it should type him etc. Rufus makes light of it by saying that , when he started as a recording artist, he 'wasn't able to lie very well and wanted to get laid'. Cole Porter is mentioned , whether he may have been prolific if he could have been 'out' etc.

They move on to Jeff Buckley. Mere hours after Jeff's version of Hallelujah nearly topped the U.K. charts , bettered only by a 'talent' show version of the same song, Rufus talks about how his version for the Shrek soundtrack was done having not heard Buckley's take. Rufus talks about having spent time with Jeff shortly before his death. Elvis talks about Jeff's contribution to Meltdown , memories of the rehearsal in a classical pianist cottage etc. Jeff says how , after finally hearing Jeff's Hallelujah he wrote Memphis Skyline and , after being urged by Elvis , sings some of it, accompanying himself on grand piano.

After a break Elvis intros. and sings a Loudon Wainwright III song, New Paint( from the 1972 album Loudon Wainwright III), accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. When the interview resumes , Elvis tells Rufus of having seen Loudon in concert in Liverpool , at a boxing stadium where the 'blood had barely been cleaned of the ring-side seats' , supporting Soft Machine in 1971 ( Nov.27 1971, the 'net tells me). A shout comes up from the audience and Elvis stops and asks if someone else in the Apollo had been there that night. As all laugh the camera cuts away to a few audience members. One is startlingly familiar looking , female, tall, black hair, steel framed glasses, toothy grin - it couldn't be, could it? Have a look and see for yourself.....

After exploring the father/son relationship , the conversation moved on to music study , orchestrations. Rufus mentions his incomplete classical studies , calling himself the 'Sarah Palin' of orchestration too much laughter. They rabbit on about Richard Strauss ( 'Ricard' says Rufus) and Verdi ( 'did mostly opera', Elvis tells us, index finger pressing his chin as he recalls this crucial fact). Rufus says he has a German boyfriend so he's now into a lot of Wagner. Rufus then , after Elvis' suggestion, sings 'Vibrate'.

After the final break the show finishes with Elvis( acoustic guitar) , Rufus , Bill Frisell ( electric guitar) and Kate McGarrigle ( banjo) singing 'Willie Moore'.

This account only hints at how entertaining this show was. It certainly bodes well for the other of the later batch of recorded shows.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Allan Jones of Uncut mentions in his weekly e-mail -

Monday 22nd December 2008

I know it's meant to be the season of goodwill or something like it, but did anyone else who watched, aghast, the unfolding horror of Elvis Costello's new chat show, Spectacle, and think the best thing that could be said about it is that it surely can't get any worse?

If you missed it, the show launched last Monday on C4, with, of all people, given Costello's ancient hostility towards them, The Police. Time was, of course, that Elvis and Sting in anything you could call close proximity - which, historically, would roughly mean both of them on the same continent at roughly the same time - would have been guaranteed to cause sparks to, as they say, fly.

Here, however, the atmosphere was soapy, a lathered chumminess unfortunately prevailing. This led, gratingly, to a bit of a love-in, with Costello, in lickspittle gratitude to them for gracing Spectacle with their gleaming presence (and, also, you suspect, for swelling the Costello coffers by having him as their support on the last leg of their reunion tour, thankfully now complete).

Among several assorted horrors during an excruciating hour of backslapping mutual congratulation, smarmy banter and music was Costello and Sting's duet on the venerable "Alison", a song at one time you would have been lucky to hear Costello sing. This, however, was a version you could have counted yourself fortunate to have missed in its entirety, its fiddly re-arrangement not something you would have remarked benignly on, even if someone was holding a burning torch to your face.

Tonight, Costello's guest on Spectacle is the chucklesome Lou Reed, and I see from the morning's papers that the show has already been moved from last week's broadcast time - it went out at midnight - and is now somewhat buried in the schedules at 1.30am.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Allan Jones is a twat.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I thought that here in UK previous night's Rufus Wainwright show was great and that the latest Lou Reed-Julian Schnabel one excellent. Nice to see Costello varying his style/wearing green socks/no hat - some very revealing stuff shared with us audience.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I caught the James Taylor episode the other night. I'm not sure if this has been broadcast or not, but it was in the free "on demand" part of the Sundance Channel. I thought the interview was pretty good - lots of George Jones talk, Elvis (and Laura Cantrell) starts off with a George Jones inspired Taylor song - they also did a pretty nice duet on "Crying In The Rain" - though as someone said earlier, Elvis needs to sing a little softer.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Lou Reed/Julian Schnabel Spectacle was unpleasant. Lou did his usual self-important , bullying act and was indulged by Elvis. I like a lot of Lou's work but have long given up on him as a person . Well the personae that comes through - maybe he's a sweet old man with a abrupt personality. What was shocking was too see how frail he is. It's probably about 10 years since I've seen him in concert but I remember a far more robust presence. His tired old routine of instancing a reference( that he thought was disparaging of Jimmy Scott ) in a U.K. concert review in a London 'paper was , of course, met with Elvis sighing and looking to the heavens. Isn't it great that the good old U.S. has Elvis to apologise for the perfidity of Albion? Of course if both of them hadn't got so hot 'n bothered about it we'd never have known about it anyway.

Julian Schnabel was embarresing. On the one hand , the inclusion of the sequence featuring him served a purpose in that it lifted a lack lustre show. It could be said, equally , that episode was a exercise in mocking the afflicted.

The songs were alright. Larry Campbell (guitar) and Jenny Scheinman (violin) really lifted Femme Fatale. Set the Twilight Reeling had some tasty riffing.

Otherwise , not the proudest hour for the main participants.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm a bit late with a comment on the Police episode - I recorded it on sky plus and have just got around to viewing. Overall it was as disappointing as I expected it to be. Elvis can only get better in my eyes.

My main observation was that Stewart Copeland really is a first class twat. I've never been a big Sting fan, but I really felt a twinge of pity for him. Imagine spending so much of your life with such a self-important, loud and obnoxious fuckhead as Copeland. No wonder Sting wanted out of the Police. I would plump for electrodes on the testes and a night on the town with Matt Dawson and Kerry Katona over an hour in a lift with the drummer from hell. :x

Smugly Smugville of Smugglesworth
corruptio optimi pessima
migdd

Post by migdd »

Jackson Monk wrote:My main observation was that Stewart Copeland really is a first class twat. I've never been a big Sting fan, but I really felt a twinge of pity for him. Imagine spending so much of your life with such a self-important, loud and obnoxious fuckhead as Copeland.

I hope Copeland felt duly intimidated by drumming next to the mighty Pete Thomas but somehow I think it went over his swollen head. And I mean swollen!

By the way Jackson, those are two nice photos of two very suave gents. Which one is you? :wink:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:Isn't it great that the good old U.S. has Elvis to apologise for the perfidity of Albion?
I didn't read it that way at all. His annoyance didn't have anything to do with the fact that the publication was English, at least not as far as I could tell.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Always enjoy pretty much all posts , and have enjoyed an episode or two of Spectacle, Seasonal Greetings to all , and a brighter NewYear , though of that I have doubts , Steve littletriggers .
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

johnfoyle wrote: His tired old routine of instancing a reference( that he thought was disparaging of Jimmy Scott ) in a U.K. concert review in a London 'paper was , of course, met with Elvis sighing and looking to the heavens. Isn't it great that the good old U.S. has Elvis to apologise for the perfidity of Albion? Of course if both of them hadn't got so hot 'n bothered about it we'd never have known about it anyway.
Agreed. And if Lou Reed, an American, wants to act like he had to go all the way to the UK to see an American musician disrespected, he's out of his mind.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta very much for links - since we had 5 of the 13 so-far Spectacles broadcast in UK last year I have stopped searching forUSA-broadcast shows BUT:

We were very pleased to see/hear these 5 JT-show clips in which Elvis is 3 times.

I loved 'The hippopotamus song' duet at the end of maybe JT SBJ.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZsa ... aFIzZUE9PQ
Last edited by charliestumpy on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Having just seen the Tony Bennett episode, I must say I was disappointed that Elvis and he did not do a duet.

I was also a little annoyed that at least twice, granted in a joking manner, Tony seemed to insult Elvis as a singer. This right after Elvis did a stunningly beautiful cover of Hank Williams' "Cold, Cold Heart".

I know Elvis might not be the greatest jazz, improvisational singer; but I feel Elvis is a better singer than his wife, Diana Krall; whom Tony praised.

Elvis never gets the respect he deserves. (IMHO)
jmm

Post by jmm »

Having been lucky enough to have had the chance to both attend the taping of the TB episode and talk to EC himself about it after (at Jazzfest in NOLA), I can understand why you might think EC was being dis-ed from episode was edited but 1) I think TB actually praised the opening number more at the taping; 2) it didn't feel that way as the whole night flowed; or 2) when I talked to EC about it after.

As EC said in the intro he wanted NOTHING to do with a live duet - a point he hammered home with the Count Basie tape. The Diana duet, as you could see on the episode (and even more that night), was NOT planned or rehearsed beforehand.

I think that Tony's teasing was just that. If anything, EC relaxed after TB did it and the episode was much better for it. They also edited out some comments TB made about the poor state of songwriting today. When EC and I talked about these specific comments, he said something to the effect of "while I respect his opinion, I don't agree".

IMHO it seems the respect is mutual
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Was watching Elv and Elton do the David Ackles song 'Downriver' last night (I know nothing at all about Ackles), and was struck by how good Elv sounded, much better than Elt who's sounding more and more limited in range these days. they didn't sound great together, but when Elv took over from Elt for verse 2, it sounded perfect.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I saw the Police episode yesterday, and while I am not a Police fan, I thought it was the best of the episodes I've seen in terms of flow, etc. 'Sunshine of Your Love' was a pointless exercise though, with the deep catalogs of everyone concerned.