EC & Brodsky Quartet - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester 27 April

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

EC & Brodsky Quartet - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester 27 April

Post by Man out of Time »

Yet another show with the Brodsky Quartet. Tickets now on sale:

http://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/whats ... nt_id=2112

This now makes six dates:

Basingstoke, London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol.

Will his voice hold out? Will further dates be added? What price Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle or Nottingham?

MOOT
Top balcony

Re: EC & Brodsky Quartet - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester 27 April

Post by Top balcony »

Ladbrooks are giving 150 to 1 Liverpool.

Sadly , having checked the Phiharmonic Hall's published programme there don't seem to be any free dates around this time. He's got a track record of playing in Manchester if he can't play "home" . His Mum gets to ride in the limo and Alan Bleasedale gets to ride on the tour bus.

Call me optimistic if you like, but I'm hoping for a Coward re-union later in the year to tally with the escape of the new LP.

Colin
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going? I am.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I'm going too!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

Top balcony will be in the front stalls.

... hoping for some snippets from the new album

Colin
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

Not sure how much ahead of kick off we'll arrive, but Colin Top Balcony and Janet Top Balcony will be in stalls D 28+29 if anyone is in the vicinity and would like to say hello.

Can't wait for curtain up

Colin
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A rather subdued crowd meant this was , except for a enforced surprise, a rather straightforward show. After the usual opening set we got another solo outing of Down Among The Wines And Spirits after song four of the usual second set , My Three Sons. We should then have got My Mood Swings. The Brodsky's were expecting it so there was a hasty shuffling of music sheets when Elvis introduced Either Side Of The Same Town. 'Swings was , eventully, played after 'Either. A solo One Bell Ringing started the first encore. The ensemble then started into Jacksons Monk And Rowe when it all stopped because Jacqui broke a cello string. Elvis happily played another solo song and we were treated to the U.K. debut of Dr Watson.

This show gets better and better. I look forward to sharing a overview of the songs when the tour is over. It was great to see Misha , Colin, Dave, Len/Les(?) Mike and Mr And Mrs Top Balcony. Right now I'm shattered after a early start and a day walking around Salford.

Next stop Bristol.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This preview piece doesn't have anything really new -

http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/feature ... e_of_elvis

Thu, 17 April, 2008

Variety's the spice of life of Elvis
By Natalie Anglesey

DIVERSITY is the name of the game as far as singer/songwriter Elvis Costello is concerned.

As passionate about his music as when he first started out in the business, our interview could have gone well past our allotted time, if I hadn’t felt guilty about the twins demanding attention from the other room.

The three-year-old twins are from his third marriage to beautiful Canadian vocalist Diana Krall and I wondered how a couple of musicians, with heavy touring schedules, managed to get together?

“We met when Diana had just lost her mother and I tried to be as supportive as possible.

“Usually she interprets other people’s songs but I suggested that she write down her feelings and we worked together putting them to music which eventually became an album, The Girl In The Other Room.

“We bonded musically and emotionally and now, in our home in Canada, we try to ensure our private life as a family doesn’t clash with work.

“We try not to tour at the same time so that one of us can always be with the twins.

“It was easy when they were babies and Diana took them everywhere but now they’re running around, it’s a bit more difficult.

"The easy answer would be to tour together but we’ve shied away from becoming a double act because it wouldn’t be healthy for either of us as artists.”

As we chat I can’t help comparing this intelligent, thoughtful musician with the energetic whirlwind who first signed with Stiff Records in 1977.

“The music press didn’t know which category to put us in and even described us as a punk band while, if anything, I suppose we were New Wave.”

Buddy Holly

Just to put the record straight he isn’t really a huge fan of Elvis or Buddy Holly.

“I just needed specs, that’s all. As for the name, my dad was bandleader Ross McManus and I was born Declan McManus.

“It was the idea of some marketing guy to call me Elvis and Costello is my mum’s maiden name, so it has just stuck ever since.”

In 1971 Elvis went to live with his mother in Birkenhead for a time, playing music at school before working in Bootle as a computer programmer.

“Computers were a whole new world and although I’m quite comfortable with them, when it comes to music I would really rather pick up a guitar.

Runcorn

“I often used to write songs on the train visiting my mother and I remember writing one song between Nuneaton and Runcorn.

“Manchester was always the big city when I played with various bands and we used to play clubs like Rafters just to get the experience. Most of the time we only made enough money for our petrol home.”

In nostalgic mood, Elvis, 55, year old singer/songwriter reflects: “I remember when our first record came out I was told we’d sold a thousand, I presumed that meant in a week, only to be informed it was in one day!’

Elvis’ first hit single, Watching The Detectives, was his last with Stiff before moving to Radar Records.

His next hit was Oliver’s Army and some thought he was a political songwriter.

“I’ve written about Ireland, the Falklands War and Thatcherism but I don’t like labels and that’s why diversity is so important to me.

“I Want You was a six-minute record which was a hit in Europe and my arrangement of She was a global success. All very different.”

Among the hits that followed were This Year’s Model, Get Happy, I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down and A Good Year For The Roses.

And collaborations with some of the biggest names in the business brought success in varying degrees.

“When I’m collaborating I try to incorporate their style into the piece.

“When I was writing with Paul McCartney in 1989 I was trying to get his Mersey cadences into the music but he wanted to try something different.

“It ended up with him writing like me and me writing like him. We recorded about a dozen songs some of which haven’t even been released yet.

Bacharach

“When I collaborated with Burt Bacharach we had a great time with the Painted From Memory album and I recorded songs I’d written for other artists.

“We jokingly appeared in one of the Austin Powers’ movies but I don’t think that was our finest hour. I just constantly like to surprise audiences.”

Elvis certainly did that when he recently hosted a television series called Spectacle in which he not only performed, but he also interviewed celebrities like Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, Smokey Robinson, and Lou Reed.

“Everyone thought Lou was going to be difficult but he was great and so was Sir Elton John.

Executive producer

“Elton was actually executive producer but it’s a pity it was on so late here – you were one of the few people who saw it.

“It’s being screened in America in a much better time slot so we’ll wait and see how the viewers react."

Elvis has already surprised his fans when he began composing classical pieces.

“I’m really looking forward to working again with the Brodsky Quartet.

"They’re a bunch of extremely talented musicians whom I worked with in 1993 on the Juliet Letters, derived from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

“Perhaps the most bizarre venue we played in was the Folies-Bergere in Paris - that was quite an experience.

“Some time later we performed Mood Swings at the Sydney Opera House and hopefully audiences will be equally surprise by this new tour.

“I’ve dabbled quite a bit in classical music with symphonic pieces written for companies in Italy, Copenhagen and Miami and it’s now time to get back to my roots – although not exactly in the traditional way."

Elvis also has an Oscar Nomination for The Scarlet Tide, co-written with T Bone Burnett and sung by Alison Krauss in the film Cold Mountain, and been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with The Attractions.

However, his most recent award has given him the biggest kick.

“Last year I played a concert in Liverpool and that was a great evening for me particularly because I was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Liverpool University that same week. Being on stage in the Philharmonic Hall where my mum used to be an usher was quite something."

Over the last few years there’s been albums and tours in a variety of styles for the prolific musician.

“As an entertainer I need constant stimulus and variety and I think the audience does too.

“Although I’ll be performing some of my most popular songs, they will be arranged and played in a different style at the Bridgewater Hall.

“After this UK tour with the Brodsky Quartet, hopefully I’ll get some family time before I set off touring Europe and Asia with The Imposters using material from my new album, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane and then who knows what next.”

We can be sure of one thing. Variety really is the spice of life for Elvis Costello.

Elvis Costello appears at the Bridgewater Hall on Monday, April 27. £22 - £32. Call 0161 907 9000.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I had a great time at the Bridgewater Hall last night and it was good to meet John F, Dave P, and Mr & Mrs Top Balcony.

Although in row B, I had the worst view possible, as EC was hidden by the music stand of the newest Brodsky. Fortunately, I was able to change seats for the 2nd half.

I have lived through the long sideburns of the Spike years, the long hair of the Beard years, and the close crop of the Painted from Memory years, but sorry Elvis, the moustache HAS to go.

And he has shed a few pounds hasn't he? He looked pretty slim as he walked on!

I liked the show, and the highlights were the EC solo bits, especially the off mic song Down among the Wines and Spirits, and Raglan Road.

When Jacqueline Thomas broke a string, EC did a new song. I have a bootleg when another bass player called Thomas breaks a string and EC sang Hoover Factory (1978/79??) No doubt one of the people I met last night will be able to tell me.

Mr Balcony mentioned that EC may be playing Manchester again in the summer?? Let's hope so.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

Great to meet John, Dave and Mike last night, shame Janet and I had to dash for the last train so promptly after the show.

The weary journey back to Liverpool allowed a period of studied reflection on the quality of the Manchester show. We both had a fab time. Highlights were indeed the solo numbers. Bedlam also sounded fantastic as he let rip. I liked Strict Time too wheras others don't seem to have. Although still great, the JL excerpts got less points from the Balcony Jury, probably 'cos it's our least favourite album. Only major disappointment was Three Sons. This was stellar at the Liverpool Philharmonic show last year, this time I couldn't hear him over the BQ, so my eyes remained dry.

Whilst the new album is hugely awaited in the TB household, don't think that it's going to make much of a dent in the wallets of the record downloading public.So unless I'm much mistaken the Sugarcanes aren't going to show in the UK anytime soon. The answer is surely a solo tour. He's shown each night he can carry a hall simply playing guitar and singing. Could increase his bottom line by sticking to one instrument and house PA...

As for the rumour about re-visiting Manchester mid July to play solo, I live in hope. It is his Mum's birthday, but my source was two fans from Liverpool. They told me after the show that his appearance at the Manchester Festival had been listed on Elvis' website, but had now been withdrawn. I think this was wishful thinking / a cysberspace mirage. My breath isn't being held.

Personally I don't care whether he exhibits facial hair or not, it' his choice ( or Dianna's)

Best wishes

Colin
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

oops - from the above account please delete "Strict Time" and insert "New Lace Leaves" Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/rock_po ... s_costello

Elvis Costello

By Rob Allen

Tue, 28 April, 2009

THERE are times when you just have to accept and respect another person’s authority regardless of how they make you feel, such as when you’re under the surgeon’s knife or when a set of blue flashing lights start to flicker on the car behind.

You can only submit, knowing you‘re at their mercy. Similarly, it could be argued, that when a magisterial pop heavyweight like Elvis Costello puts you in musical head-lock for three hours you have to tread carefully as not to seem disrespectful, he is the one and only Elvis Costello after all.

Accompanied by the Brodsky Quartet, all former students at the Royal Northern College of Music, the man who so cleverly laced his perfect pop tunes with biting social commentary clashes with leading lights of the international chamber scene.

Having recorded together to create the successful Juliet Letters album 16 years ago, it’s not new ground for Costello or the four classical musicians.

The very sight of Costello is enough to feel a little awed but when the music starts with Accidents Will Happen, the familiarity with his strained, nasal vocal, relaxing into a comfortable vibrato, is genuinely exciting.

The good times roll with Rocking Horse Road, which fleetingly morphs into Wild Thing, and I Almost Had A Weakness with it’s bleak, comic lyrics and beautiful violin breaks.

Flawless acoustics

A consistent theme is Costello’s disrespect for the microphone, instead using of the venue’s flawless acoustics to let his voice carry into the audience naturally.

The whole group appear to be touring in a taxi as the stage set up is minimal, resulting in even a gentle stamp of Costello’s foot to thump over the subtle strings.

The second half opens with the classic Pills and Soap, a much needed classic which shows Costello at his uncompromising best, delivered with the same menace for which it is remembered.

Down Among The Wines and Spirits is a new number performed alone and unamplified, a highlight which Costello struggled to better for the remainder of the evening.

From the unfortunate, virtuoso displays with scratchy guitars to the snails pace rendition of the otherwise beautiful Shipbuilding it becomes too great an effort to pretend it remained enjoyable.

Polite applause was mistaken as a request for a second encore, which was deserved for reputation and a fantastic sense of humour, but not for entertainment value.
Butts

Post by Butts »

Hello, lifelong EC fan here ever since the first Stiff tour in '78 at Leeds University which I was lucky enough to witness. Aside from recalling an extremely worse for wear Wreckless Eric I remember thinking how driven Elvis appeared to be during his short burst of songs. I've seen him about a dozen times since.

This most recent occasion in Manchester was, I suppose, the polar opposite of that first gig but even so I was struck by how very "punk rock" he can still be and how he can still spit out words with such delicious venom, even when accompanied by a string quartet in a classical concert hall.

He still has that attitude which age and experience doesn't seem to erode and he's expertly bolted it on to fascinating colloborations such as this which means the versions of his songs we now hear are given added power and complexity.

I thought his rendition of "My Three Sons" was beautifully heartfelt and that the elongated coda to "Shipbuilding" takes the song into an ethereal new direction. The impact of the opening line to "Accidents...." sent the first of many powerful frissons hurtling up and down the spine.

I agree, though, that it was when he picked up a guitar and just sang that his energy infected the room. The audience realised it was suddenly in the realms of improvisation and he seemed more in his element in charge of an instrument. When Jacqueline snapped a string during the intro to "Jackson..." you could hear the buzz when he reached again for his guitar, remarking that 'it's a good job I know another one' - and what another one it was in the intriguing "Dr.Watson".

I thought the audience was OK - but only one 'Brutal Youth' t-shirt in evidence :D. I lost my "If It Ain't Stiff...." t-shirt at a Clash concert in 1979, otherwise I would definitely have worn it.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi Butts

I was that t-shirt - nice to meet you!

Colin Top Balcony
Butts

Post by Butts »

Hi Colin - this "gig" re-lit the EC fire so I'll be making sure I'm at the next one - make sure you wear the same t-shirt!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

by the way Butts, Wreckless Eric has seriously gotten his act together since then - the last several albums are excellent and he's always touring with his wife Amy Rigby. Check him out if you get the chance -

http://www.wrecklesseric.com/live.htm
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

There's a good audience recording of this show on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=251293 The music sounds good and you definitely hear all of the Brodskys and Elvis.

The main drawback is that sometimes it's hard to hear EC talk in between songs and if you turn on the volume then the loud clapping can be annoying but you do get great Brodsky interpretations of Bedlam, Accidents Will Happen, songs from North, and a performance of Dr. Watson, I presume.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks for the compliment, that was my recording. It's almost impossible to record Elvis with anything less than full soundboard equipment these days because of the incredible range of volume that he and whoever else is playing with him uses - and I'm not competent enough (or brave enough) to try and make manual level adjustments during the recording process for fear of losing the recording entirely. If anyone has any tips about recording at different levels, please share. How I wish I could have been recording a Sugarcanes show over here instead !!