Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2 & 3, 2008

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2 & 3, 2008

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/1 ... e-keltner/

Just got word from the folks at Great American Music Hall that a special guest will be joining in the fun tonight at the benefit show featuring Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe and Jim Keltner … Elvis Costello. Makes sense considering Lowe produced Costello’s early records and Keltner has drummed for Elvis on several occasions. (Have Cooder and Costello ever collaborated? Anyone?) Costello, of course, is in town for a set at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this weekend in Golden Gate Park.

Costello’s just the cherry on top of what was already a mighty tasty musical sundae, and for a good cause, too — the Richard de Lone Special Housing Fund, which assists people with Prader-Willi Syndrome. Last year’s benefit show — which reunited Costello with his original studio backing band, Clover — was one of the events of the season. This year’s event is shaping up to be just as cool or cooler. Anyway, as I type this $100 tickets for tonight’s show at 8 or tomorrow’s show at 9 are still available at gamhtickets.com. No official word on whether Costello will show up tomorrow too, but if he has fun tonight, you never know …

http://www.gamh.com/artist_pages/ry_cooder_100208.htm

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/200 ... americ.php

A little birdie just told me that Elvis Costello will join Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and Jim Keltner on stage tonight at the Great American's benefit for the Richard deLone Special Housing Fund. Costello is, of course, in town to perform on Sunday at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass , the sort of all-star festival that almost guarantees last-minute cameos when these heavies hit town. My source tells me tonight Costello will do a couple songs on stage with the group, so if you're hitting Great American you get an extra treat on stage.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
MOJO

Re: Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2, 2008?

Post by MOJO »

I hope he shows up tomorrow night, too because I have tickets for Friday's show.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

MOJO wrote:I hope he shows up tomorrow night, too because I have tickets for Friday's show.
I'll be there as well.
I was pretty bummed when they announced an opening act.
I thought there was a pretty good chance it would be EC & the boys warming up for Hardly Strictly.
Oh well...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Confirmation -

http://unrepeatable.livejournal.com/375768.html

Posted on Oct. 2nd, 2008 at 11:42 pm by unrepeatable

Tonight we went to a fancy pants chairty concert with the rock and roll legends ry cooder and nick lowe and some other guy who was playng the drums in sunglasses. Oh. And elvis costello. Yeah. I know the economy is in the crapper and our society is crumbling around us in huge chunks, but I saw elvis costello tonight. And sarah palin can't take that away from me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2, 2008

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artolog/2909418504/

Uploaded on October 3, 2008
by artolog

Dr. Luther

Re: Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2, 2008

Post by Dr. Luther »

3 song Costello/Austin DeLone set on Friday, October 3rd:

1. Life's Companion *
2. "Doc Watson" ?
(New song -- "first time played")
3. From Sulphur to Sugarcane

Costello on acoustic
DeLone on accordion

* DeLone's daughter on harmony

Costello joined Cooder/Keltner/Lowe for:

My Baby's Gone
(vocals w/ Nick Lowe)

edit:
I forgot to mention:

I talked to one of the people that works in merchandising for the DeLone Fund, and she said that they are indeed going to try to make a DVD of last year's show available for purchase.
It didn't sound like it would be real soon, though.
Last edited by Dr. Luther on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Richard deLone benefit, October 2 & 3, 2008

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... ertainment

Elvis Costello performed briefly at the fundraiser. (Lea Suzuki, / The Chronicle)

Music review: Rare Ry Cooder gig

Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic

Saturday, October 4, 2008

When Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris are sitting in the nightclub balcony, you can bet there's a heavy-duty act onstage. Guitarist Ry Cooder making his first appearance in around 20 years Thursday at the Great American Music Hall qualifies as a major event to a small but select circle, who snapped up $100 tickets to the two-night fundraiser.

In a series of albums he recorded during the '70s and '80s, Cooder fused folkloric musical ideas with rock sensibilities in a unique blend that may not have burned up the charts but attracted a feverishly devoted following. Cooder later moved onto film soundtracks and world-music record production, where he scored an unlikely million seller with a swinging set of Cuban octogenarians who came to be called the Buena Vista Social Club. He doesn't get out much.

"You live in a lucky city," said his daughter-in-law Juliette Commagere, who opened the evening with an extraordinary 10-piece band that included Cooder's son, Joaquin, on drums. "Ry said he would never play in L.A."

Typically, it was another musician who coaxed the cranky recluse out of hiding. Audie de Lone is a Mill Valley keyboard player whose son suffers from the rare genetic disorder, Prater-Willi syndrome, which leaves its sufferers perpetually starving. Last year, de Lone got his longtime musical associate Elvis Costello to play two special shows at the Music Hall that launched the Richard de Lone Special Housing Project, and Costello appeared again Thursday, singing a couple of acoustic numbers on his own and climbing aboard the Cooder trio for the encore.

Billed as "Guitar-Bass-Drums," Cooder was joined by bassist Nick Lowe, another longtime de Lone musical associate, and drummer Jim Keltner. The three musicians (along with songwriter-guitarist John Hiatt) recorded and toured together briefly in the early '90s as Little Village, and backed Hiatt on his classic album "Bring the Family."

When Cooder performed in the '70s and '80s, he always brought with him big ensembles. He wrapped his own vocals in gospel background singers. His last band featured outstanding instrumentalists such as keyboardist Van Dyke Parks, saxophonist Steve Douglas and Tejano accordion king Flaco Jimenez. He has never before done this kind of casual nightclub performance with just a two-piece rhythm section.

In horn-rimmed glasses and sweatshirt, Cooder looked more like a college professor dressed for the weekend than a rock star. He used only a couple of small vintage amplifiers and a couple of guitars, tuned differently. His style is based on open chord tunings that allow for surprising harmonies. Even on his own records, he is a consummate accompanist and not a flashy guitar showman, so it was not surprising to see him slip most comfortably into that role behind Lowe, feeling his way around as Lowe opened with Little Village's "A Fool Who Knows."

"There's going to be train wrecks," Lowe said happily. "There will be car crashes. But that can be entertainment gold."

While the program stayed close to slow and midtempo pieces, the rhythms left room for Cooder to scoot around and rumble away underneath the booming bass lines, while Keltner casually decorated the beat with subtle, cunning, equally slow tattoos. If it was somewhat tentative, it was also masterful, and when Cooder slipped on the bottleneck and took the mike to sing "Fool for a Cigarette," the roomful of partisans got what they came to see. The show grew in confidence with every song.

Cooder ad-libbed a verse to "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" about Sarah Palin and brought the house down every time he reached the chorus. Lowe, who switched between electric bass and acoustic guitar, brought considerable warmth to his hosting, sang like a bird and occasionally pushed the tempos up to a chugging, Johnny Cash drive, dipping into fine songs from his criminally overlooked recent solo albums such as "The Man in Love," "The Beast in Me," and "Soulful Wind." Cooder punched out glistening, economical solos, offbeat accents and offhand flourishes.

The trio returned for an encore of Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" and the old Arthur Alexander R&B song "You Better Move On"; (he had sung another Alexander song, "Lonely Just Like Me," minutes before). Costello joined them for some Louvin Brothers and it was over, Cooder waving to the cheering crowd with a sheepish grin, clearly happy, but perhaps a little unsure of what to make of the enthusiasm. Cooder is a brilliant guitarist, a craftsman and an authentic artist in a world of imitators, but he is not Mr. Show Business.

"The syndrome is rare," said Richard de Lone's mother, Lesley, earlier, referring to the reason for the benefit, "but not as rare as a performance by Ry Cooder." Lucky us.

E-mail Joel Selvin at jselvin@sfchronicle.com.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/1 ... afterward/

San Jose Mercury News, Oct.4 '08

Plant/Krauss at Hardly Strictly (and Cooder & friends afterward)

Posted by Shay Quillen on October 4th, 2008

(extract)

As on Thursday, Costello made an unannounced appearance, singing a few as-yet-unreleased acoustic numbers with host Austin de Lone (and de Lone’s teenage daughter, Caroline).

Costello returned at the very end to sing a duet of the Louvin Brothers’ “My Baby’s Gone” with Lowe, but despite the enthusiastic efforts of the crowd, one more encore was not forthcoming. Seventy minutes was all we got. Bummer.

Elvis Costello (with Austin and Caroline de Lone): Life’s Companion / Dr. Watson, I Presume (?? new one, co-written with T Bone Burnett) / From Sulfur to Sugar Cane

See Caroline de Lone singing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i480xLqQ6G0
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Thank you for the My Baby's Gone clip - I thoroughly enjoyed it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jammy git!

http://pulmyears.wordpress.com/2008/10/ ... d-emmylou/

(extract)

Thanks to Colin Nairne, who working with Elvis and Ry, I was sitting in a VIP balcony with Colin’s wife, the excellent singer Wendy Bird. Wendy pointed out Steve Earle standing over to the side of the stage. I was sure he was going to come up and join them, but he never did.

I ended up going backstage after the show, thanks again Colin, and found myself in a conversation with Elvis, Nick and Steve Earle, about Brian Wilson, Van Dyke Parks and other names I probably shouldn’t mention. When I say “in a conversation”, I should point out that I was largely laying out – only chiming in to either ask for elaboration (like Wallace Shawn in My Dinner With Andre) or to meekly add my two cents about Smile or Pet Sounds.
At the risk of exposing my inner nerd even more than usual, I had to laugh to myself at being allowed into the proximic bubble of three great songwriters, all of whom I’ve admired. It was like superimposing my head on Mt. Rushmore. I was happy to be involved but boy did I feel like the odd man out.
Emotional Toothpaste

Sorry to hijack this thread and insert a shameless plug . . . but it is kind've in the ballpark.

My little brother, Frank Arnold, also suffers from Prader-Willi Syndrome just like Richard deLone. I am COMPLETELY blown away and deeply MOVED that several of my longtime musical HEROES . . . Elvis, Nick, Ry, Jim Keltner, Austin . . . have come together to support this very cruel, yet rare, noble cause that hits so close to my home.

My wife is running her first marathon in Chicago on Sunday in support of my youngest brother Frank, of whom I am the legal guardian. She decided to do this all on her own and to raise money for the PWS USA and local chapter which does many great things. Her knee is bothering her, so I hope she can finish.

http://www.firstgiving.com/arnoldrunforpws

Thank you for your support.

Andrew Arnold
a.k.a. Emotional Toothpaste
Emotional Toothpaste

Thank you John Foyle!!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The second show is available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=219031
(with new song: "Doc Watson")
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John H posts to listserv-

Links to mp3 highlights from the audience recording of night two of
the Cooder/Lowe/Keltner "Guitar-Bass-Drums" Richard de Lone benefit
concerts, including the debut of "Dr Watson I Presume?"

EC on "Dr Watson I Presume?"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jqjyfzxjzeo
Anyone feel like transcribing the lyrics for this one so we can add
them to the wiki?

Nick Lowe & EC on "My Baby's Gone"
http://www.mediafire.com/?zrnnwazqkui

Nick Lowe on PL&U:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmnzzwncnmr

(note - look for the "Click here to start download.."
inside the orange-lined box)
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for links.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ed posts to listserv-

I've not seen anyone post about this, but the 2009 concerts for this
charity have been announced. They'll be held at the Great American
Music Hall again this year on Oct 1st and 2nd and will feature Boz
Scaggs and the Blue Velvet Band (featuring James Cotton, Austin de Lone,
Nick Lowe, Buddy Miller, Derek O'Brien, Wes Starr, Jimmie Vaughan and
Jack Walroth). Tickets are on sale now and run $100 for general
admission and $124.95 for a reserved dinner location.

http://www.gamh.com/artist_pages/boz_sc ... 100209.htm
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://brianwise.wordpress.com/2009/10/ ... october-3/

October 4, 2009

Hardly Strictly Day 1 – Friday October 3
By brianwise

(extract)

By the time I got back to the hotel, dropped ff my gear and got to the Great American Music Hall I arrived in time to see that last part of Buddy Miller’s set, two of which featured Robert Plant as guest vocalist. (Later he came back on to sing some more with Boz Scaggs). Also got a seat which was a bonus.

This is the Rockin4Richie concert that raises funds for the son of Austin and Lesley DeLone’s son who is stricken with a rare and debilitating disease. During the break I purchased a t-shirt and a signed Ry Cooder’s book Los Angeles stories. I also met Austin, who I interviewed many years ago when he was in Australia with Elvis Costello & the Confederates.

After a short break, Boz Scaggs came on with Miller, Jimmie Vaughan and Derek O’Brien on guitars, Nick Lowe on bass, Austin DeLone on keys plus Wes Starr and Jack Walroth. Special guest was legendary harmonica player James Cotton. So this was largely a blues set with Boz launching into a couple of Howlin’ Wolf songs and taking it from there.

Robert Plant came back on for four songs and was superbly understated, though he did throw in a couple of Led Zep references. ‘Wo-man!’ he sang at one point. (I’ll let you know the songs when I find my notes). Seeing him here almost makes up for the fact that I missed him playing with Lil’ Band O’ Gold at Tipitina’s a couple of years ago.

Ry Cooder watched from side stage and if you walked up front you could hear him singing along. Surprisingly, he didn’t make it to the stage.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just seen this -

http://wonderpiece.com/2008/11/12/trave ... ncy-again/

November 12, 2008

robert plant, t-bone burnett (w/ his lovely wife), and elvis costello are posing with jay blakesberg’s TRAVELING ON A HIGH FREQUENCY book, back in early October, when they were all here for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. robert plant was freaking out about a moby grape pic that was in the book. (photo above also snapped by jay)