BEST CLOSING SONGS OF ALL TIME - EC #9

Pretty self-explanatory
bayoubaby

BEST CLOSING SONGS OF ALL TIME - EC #9

Post by bayoubaby »

On the list of 10 best songs that close an album, (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, & Understanding was listed as no. 9. Agree?

http://biolog.jamsbio.com/archives/the- ... n-history/
Lester Burnham

Re: BEST CLOSING SONGS OF ALL TIME - EC #9

Post by Lester Burnham »

PLU is more of an afterthought, especially because it was only on the US versions of the album. I consider 'Next Time Round' and 'I Want To Vanish' as more apt closing songs of EC's. And maybe 'Radio Silence' -- the whole "Maintaining radio silence from now on" is pretty apropos.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

interesting list.

The Beatles' 'Tomorrow Never Knows" from Revolver is a glaring omission.

Also, It is hard to ignore some of The Talking Heads' great closing songs (This Must be The Place (Naive Melody), The Overload, Drugs, Road to Nowhere, Cool Water, etc...)

As for Elvis, he always has great closing songs. Nearly every album (Riot Act, Town Cryer, Peace in Our Time, Sleep of the Just, Next Time 'Round, etc...)

What EC albums do not have a good closing song?

I never really cared for Six-fingered Man as a closing song of RIR. The Import was better with The Greatest Love as the last song.

I think Night Rally is a little disappointing as a closing song for TYM. But, if you follow it with Radio Radio like in the American version, it works quite well. Same with Armed Forces and Peace, Love, and Understanding.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Couldn't Call It Unexpected #4 on MLAR
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I can't really think of an EC album that didn't end with an appropriate song. Maybe "Almost Blue", but I haven't listened to that album in ages, and I don't really remember how 'How Much I Lied' goes. The man has a knack for programming his albums, that's for sure!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Lester Burnham wrote:I can't really think of an EC album that didn't end with an appropriate song...The man has a knack for programming his albums, that's for sure!
Absolutely. there are some great closing songs, many of which have been listed in the discussion. but also let's not forget the last words of Mighty Like a Rose's closer

"I can't believe I'll never believe in anything again".
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

couldn=t call it unexpected and next time around get my votes
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

PLU isn't an album closer, full stop! Two Little Hitlers is. Don't these people know anything?

For me there is one album closer that knocks that list into a cocked hat. I refer, of course, to 'Decades' from Closer. Perfect ending to a perfect record. 'Where have they been?' 'Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken'; was also a good closer. And of course 'Anywhere I lay my hat'.

Yes, loads of Elvis ones are great, and love the ref to Radio Silence, which I adore.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:PLU isn't an album closer, full stop! Two Little Hitlers is. Don't these people know anything?

For me there is one album closer that knocks that list into a cocked hat. I refer, of course, to 'Decades' from Closer. Perfect ending to a perfect record. 'Where have they been?' 'Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken'; was also a good closer. And of course 'Anywhere I lay my hat'.

Yes, loads of Elvis ones are great, and love the ref to Radio Silence, which I adore.
Have to concur with Mr. Westinghouse on this one. Respectfully suggest that this list be revisited in light of EC's last full official effort- NR- "A Voice in the Dark" coming when it does on that record, and following the myriad disturbing images and subjects given voice by the preceeding songs on the album, it unfailingly restores my equilibrium having just had my confidence, faith in humanity, and sense of well being so effectively shattered by the preceeding songs. Just a great job and 'closer'!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
migdd

Post by migdd »

I would concur that A Voice in the Dark would be a contender for best album closer as well as being one of EC's finer compositions.

A few years back, I posted on this thread with the opinion that Couldn't Call it Unexpected #4 was my personal favorite album closer. I feel it is a ray of hope at the end of an album full of anger and other "negative" emotions. I'm in the Mood Again closes North in a similar fashion as AVITD does on National Ransom. There are other examples of EC closing emotionally complex albums on a positive, or at least resigned, note. One might make a case that most of his albums end this way.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

krm wrote:couldn=t call it unexpected and next time around get my votes
I agree with this krm.
Perhaps we need a top 10?
I'll think about it............
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine