Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?

Brief mention in local 'paper -

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1012#we
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis/Police , Omaha, NE May 14 '08

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Omaha World-Herald review:
Opening the show was another band from Britain's late-'70s new wave-punk scene, Elvis Costello and the Imposters.

Costello gave a standout solo performance in Omaha last fall when he opened for Bob Dylan, but the edgy and charming singer-guitarist was even better with his three-man Imposters in tow.

Along with keyboard ace Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher, the 53-year-old Costello mixed his set with hard-hitting classics and songs from his new album, "Momofuku."

He delivered a dozen songs in his 50-minute set, including "Radio Radio," "Watching the Detectives," "Pump It Up," "Everyday I Write the Book," and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?"

Though many fans arrived late for Costello's set, most of them were in their seats by the time Sting came out for a duet with Costello on "Alison," which was one of several highlights of a dynamite show.

Oddly, a blog report suggests Elvis did not appear!
last night, was a rockin' great show. i have to admit, i was confused and bummed at first because there was no elvis costello.
Ha'Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha'Penny Millionaire »

Hello, all, longtime-no-post.

A pal and I were at the Qwest Cener, but did not attend the show. He and I have followed Elvis all over the country over the last seven years and decided that we didn't want to pay the mortageg on Sting's next chateau by purchasing tickets. I have a problem attending "filthy lucre" tours/concerts where the artist is not supporting new material. As great as The Police were/are, this qualifies as filthy lucre.

So, we simply hung out by the stage door/loading dock area with Sharpies and our copies of Momofuku (mine vinyl, his CD). Saw lots of familiar faces among Elvis' road crew. Unfortunately, the Qwest Center is not a fan-friendly venue in terms of opportunities for meet-and-greet. We did not get to visit with Elvis (or any of the Imposters) -- It turns out their bus was parked inside the Qwest and drove them directly out of the facility.

The Police's road manager said that, on this tour, fans have a better chance cathcing Elvis upon the band's arrival rather than after the concert. He asked us why we had left the venue before The Police took the stage. I replied that we were there to greet Elvis and, since he was gone, we would be leaving. That remark earned me a funny look!

We were disappointed, but had fun geeking out (we're 44) behind the venue just the same. Attendees I spoke to today reported that the sound mix for Elvis's performance was absolutely awful. Our local newspaper reported that the arena was close to full by the end of Elvis' set. Sting dueted on Alison -- that would have been cool to see.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

This link appears to be for 26 Oct 2007 Elvis solo opening for Dylan. Same venue different date.

There's also Bloomington, IL 20 Oct 2007 from the same tour here

http://www.shorestationproductions.com/?cat=219
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks! My mistake - dashing around too much yet again!