Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D :D

hehe

6-0. I'll take that! Talk about cathartic!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Crap for my Fantasy team, but I've been waiting for Sven to get a kicking, shame it had to be against your lot! Still, allows us to open up more of a gap, for the time being. If Lampard and Drog keep it up, we'll be back to the expected three-team race, with Rafa failing as ever to maintain any consistency.

MU's fourth consecutive 4-goal win for the first time in a century. Brilliant. glad I signed Tevez this morning (though I would have signed Roon if I could). The main thing is that the two new signings, Nani and Tev, are really starting to fit in, and the danger can come from anyone from this 'rotating quartet'. Rooney is playing more to the front, but ther absence of an out-and-out centre forward is not the worry it was expected to be before this foursome had gelled. It's how we won it last year, just with extra resources. I'm loving it. Despite all the injuries at present, we're still able to field a very strong team, the way a team has to at this level.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Freddy Adu scored the match winner for Benfica yesterday. Great to see him doing the business!

http://futebol.videos.sapo.pt/epoca0708

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So Jackson, how do you feel about Ramos taking over?

That Daniel Levy's a smooth operator. Gives the morons at Chelsea a run for their money in the incompetence sweepstakes.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:So Jackson, how do you feel about Ramos taking over?

That Daniel Levy's a smooth operator. Gives the morons at Chelsea a run for their money in the incompetence sweepstakes.
A few months back I'd have said that Levy had done wonders for Spurs. In terms of our bank balance, he's been pretty successful and we'rre promised a decision on the new ground within a few weeks.

More recently he and the other suits have turned us into a laughing stock. Watching them sitting smugly in the stands has left me cringeing on more than one occasion - esp last Thursday night.

As for Ramos, we'll have to wait and see. There is no doubt that the team has completely lost it's way. At the back there is a total lack of confidence and the midfield is full of players who've had too many chances - especially Jenas!

Ramos's record at Sevilla is excellent. There's no getting away from that. They were a middle of the road club until he took over and they very nearly took La Liga last season. That is no mean feat.

The concern has to be that the Prem is a much harder proposition and the groundwork had already been done at Sevilla before he got there. You could argue the same about Spurs, but we seem further away from the big 4 than ever. The fact that he can't speak English has to be a huge worry. I hope that he's given the time and the atonomy to bring in his own central defender, central holding midfielder and a right winger. I doubt that will happen. Comolli holds the chequebook.

I think one or two Spurs players will be thinking about their future, particularly Jenas, Robinson, Malbranque, Lee and Keane. They were Jol's favourites and Ramos may want to make his mark. I'll be interested to see how Berbatov reacts. He's reported to have told Jol "we both need bigger clubs". I can't really argue with that, but Berba is not going to attract many suitors if he carries on playing like an old man, and acting like a child.

Overall, Ramos is a good choice. Let's see if he lives up to the billing.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Watching them sitting smugly in the stands has left me cringeing on more than one occasion - esp last Thursday night.
Yeah, I watched the match on replay last night and they kept cutting away to Levy and Ramos, looking miserable together.
then Jackson Monk wrote:The fact that he can't speak English has to be a huge worry.
That's why they brought in Poyet, I assume - to communicate his ideas to the players. He did get Sevilla playing some exciting attacking football, but aren't Spurs crying out for a more conservative manager who can help solidify the backline? Spurs' problem, in my view, has never been a lack of goal scoring, but rather keeping goals out at the other end. I saw some speculation that Tottenham would go after a bunch of Sevilla players now, including Alves, but the Sevilla president doesn't sound too inclined to do business with Spurs. (And how are Tottenham going to get Alves when Sevilla already turned down a bid of £30+ from Chelsea over the summer?)

Interesting times in the Premier League. It's been a very tumultuous season so far. Is Rafa next?
Otis Westinghouse

Meanwhile, Jol and sidekick are off to Southend? Or they just fancied a bit of non-Prem action on Saturday?

Gotta feel for Jol. Sound bloke, stitched up. the way some clubs treat their managers is shocking.

Meanwhile any doubts about signings such as Nani, Anderson and especially Tevez can go out the window. The Tev is doing so well!

Saturday will either be the best game ever or an anti-climax. We have to get at least 1 point. the commentary from the Anfield game was thrilling to listen to. Didn't see highlights, but Arsenal seem to have so much in reserve this season. Maybe we'll get 4 goals again!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

From a ManU fan site. Fabregas photoshopped. Some of these are just brilliant!

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=175269
Otis Westinghouse

Can't remember when I laughed so much at a website! And what a great website it is...
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

He plays on the left
He plays on the right
That boy Ronaldo made Arsenal look sh*te....

Gutted we couldnt hold onto to our lead but after hours of reflection a draw was a fair result. The two best teams in England could not be parted after 90 minutes. Roll on April 2008!!
...I want him to hurt...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dunno about that "best two teams in England" bit, but it was pretty entertaining, even if there was only one nicely worked goal in it. I watched the match at McCormack's in the city, because Nevada Smith's was just too crowded - a line of about 35 people waiting to get in 10 minutes after kick-off! There was still a great atmosphere at McCormack's and the food was better too. Pompey Tom came along with me and we watched the Wigan-Chelsea and Newcastle-Pompey matches in peace after most of the crowd cleared out. After the results today, we might have to make this our new place. Lots of free pints too, which never hurts.

Look out behind you!
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Haha, the "two best teams in England" was deliberatley contraversial!! but I reckon pretty close right now.
Chelsea seem to have picked up following Mourinhos departure and i do detect a more open free flowing football being played.To be honest Sam whenever Chelsea came to Old trafford they always reminded me of those Italian teams who we used to play in the Seventies who just snuffed you out and pinched a win with a breakaway goal!!
Fantastic performance by Portsmouth!! good to see them and Blackburn pushing the top four this season,gotta be better than a one/two horse race!!
...I want him to hurt...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I agree. It's very exciting this year. I'm still not convinced by Arsenal. Portsmouth were on fire for the first half hour of that match. Some great goals too. Big Sam didn't look too happy!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Ay, chihuahua.

I am not at all sure how I feel about that.

Yallop quit yesterday.

Let the games begin.
Last edited by mood swung on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Ay, chihuahua.

I am not at all sure how I feel about that.
I don't see what he's done this year to merit another year. Some plain awful trades, no answers in defense, a permanently injured over-the-hill midfielder and error-prone goalkeeper signed last summer. And zero passion. I won't miss him too much.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Go, Poles, go !!!

A win against Belgium tonight, and Poland will qualify for European Championship FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Can't believe that the ref gave that peno against Ireland . McShane shouldn't have been the wrong side of the striker anyway but the foul was outside the box.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

YES ! YES ! YES !
We won 2 : 0 !!
One of the happiest days of my life as a football fan !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:YES ! YES ! YES !
We won 2 : 0 !!
One of the happiest days of my life as a football fan !!
Congratulations pole!

And I see England were done a massive favor by Israel and Macedonia today. A draw against the Croats and Wembley and they are through.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

OMFG major celebrations and jubilations in our house - England have been given a lifeline! I have vowed to kiss every Israeli person I meet from now on!! :lol:

Now all we have to do is get our bloody finger out on wednesday and show the world that we invented the game and are the home of football! :wink:

* Singing* "It's coming home it's coming home it's coming , footballs coming home.............(I hope! )" :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:I have vowed to kiss every Israeli person I meet from now on!! :lol:
Pucker up!

Should we start taking bets on when England will crash out on penalties?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

England will probably fuck it up against Croatia. I think I should be cheering Croatia anyway as they have more Arsenal players :)

Not pleased for Poland (sorry IP), never forgiven them '73 and their 'clown' keeper. I am surprised they have never qualified before though as they seem to have been at quite a few World Cup finals not just '74).

Shame about the sweaties eh :twisted:
signed with love and vicious kisses
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Gillibeanz wrote:I have vowed to kiss every Israeli person I meet from now on!! :lol:
Pucker up!

No problem i'd even kiss an Arsenal player if he was an Israeli !! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Pucker up!

Does anyone recall the Aquaphibians in Stingray??
corruptio optimi pessima