Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

ChrisdeB wrote:I spun the song book and got "Everyday I write the book"!!!
You am da man! I'll have to listen to this show again now!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
southendsteve

Post by southendsteve »

Mikeh wrote:At the Royalty in London, he played a different show each night, one with The Attrations, one with the Spinning Songbook, solo etc, but did not publicise what show was happening. I went on a solo night when he showed his "holiday snaps" on a projector! Some guy asked for his money back as he was disappointed The Attractions weren't playing. EC got a roadie to come on and give the guy £20!

I was at this show as well. I remember being disappointed to get the solo show. Epecailly as Elvis seemed to play a lot of solo LOndon shows at the time.It was quite funny when the fella asked for his money back.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

I was there for two of the Royalty gigs also , a Thursday possibly for the Confederates or was he solo, but my mate who's Sister worked for George Michael had a friend who worked for Costello who in turn got us both back stage passes . Didn't hang around, there was already a couple helping themselves to glasses of wine , just waited for him to arrive and shook his hand and said great gig and left ! The Saturday , well the drinking started early , left a family party fell asleep on the tube missed my stop by two or three stations arrived late to find some one sat in my seat in the circle so I sat on the stairs watching the Spining Song Book show , thanks for reminding me Nick Lowe was there !
johnfoyle

Re: Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Post by johnfoyle »

Opening my copy of the program from the 1986 Spinning Songbook shows I saw in Dublin in December 1986 I found a few cuttings from the time. I also found my original ticket stubs , something I thought long gone, existing only as a photocopy I sent to Martin in Canada at the the time. I've posted the cuttings on wiki, starting at this link.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -01_Dublin
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Excellent to see this thread revived. Enjoyed those cuttings. Dave Fanning was more enthusiastic than you in your above appraisal after three nights.

One thing I hadn't noticed before from the setlist was on the solo night Crimes of Paris included some of Wild Mountain Thyme (done several times on this tour). As song with quite a pedigree and history, known by three names, recorded by all and sundry. The most recent version I've heard is White Antelope, a Fleet Foxes offshoot for Robin Pecknold:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mountain_Thyme
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more