Dylan, Elvis - Kingston, RI , Sept. 29 '07

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Dylan, Elvis - Kingston, RI , Sept. 29 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going ?
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

I am! Birthday present for my boyfriend. I'm psyched.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Preview -

http://media.www.ramcigar.com/media/sto ... 6190.shtml

- usual stuff ; except -

Tickets are currently on sale at the Ryan Center Box Office and http://www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket prices range from $35-$69.50 and URI students, faculty and staff will receive a $5 discount with a valid URI ID.

Zimmy 'n Elvis can't sell out a venue this close to showtime !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.projo.com/music/content/bobr ... 712d6.html

(extract)

Primarily employing an acoustic guitar that was turned up just loud enough that quiet passages were clear but loud sections were appealingly distorted, Elvis Costello ran through solo acoustic renditions of songs spanning his career.

Costello was far more charged up than in his last Rhode Island appearance, at the 2005 Dunkin’ Donuts Newport Folk Festival. At times, he was playful, as during a segue from “Radio Sweetheartâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://frontparlourblog.blogspot.com/20 ... enter.html

Michael Fortes blogs -

Bob Dylan & Elvis Costello, the Ryan Center, Kingston, RI (9/29/07)

(extract)

Costello was the absolute highlight of the night. It was just the man alone, switching between three different guitars throughout the course of his 11-song set. He walked out dressed in black, smiling and in great spirits. His full, well-toned voice was in perfect shape for most of the night, and he occasionally stepped away from the mic to create an echo effect in "The River In Reverse." Towards the end of this tune, he started singing John Lennon's "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier, Mama, I Don't Wanna Die" and, as is his style, got the audience to sing along (although they didn't all get the cadence and it sounded jumbled). He did this again when he turned "Radio Sweetheart" into a full medley with Van Morrison's classic "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)" - it was a perfect sing-along and it went off without a hitch.

The only real flaws of Costello's set were "Less Than Zero," which didn't really work all that well as a solo piece, and a new song co-written with Roseanne Cash that he debuted. Calling it simply "Song with Rose" since he hadn't titled it yet, the song wasn't all that memorable, didn't have much of a hook to speak of. Maybe it'll be another classic with some fine tuning, but thumbs up for trotting out something new.

The biggest surprise for me was hearing "Veronica." Even though this was his biggest hit (and his only number one single), he rarely plays it these days. What's more, it was played in a completely different key and sounded completely fresh. Probably for both of these reasons it earned him the first of about four standing ovations (he also got them for "The River In Reverse," "Radio Sweetheart," and of course after the last song). Ending with "The Scarlet Tide," he received his guaranteed mid-song applause when he sang the Bush-directed lyric, "admit you lied / and bring the boys back home." It's a genuine folk song, one of the most affecting songs he has written (actually co-written, with fellow "Coward brother" T-Bone Burnett) and has turned up frequently in his sets since its release on 2004's The Delivery Man.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »