johnfoyle

Elvis/Allen play Madrid, July 13 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

You obviously have a TRUST fund John !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bugger me! Elvis playing my old home town on my birthday. I'm in the wrong place! Actually, it's outside the city - Collado Villalba on the north west road a few mies out. Incredible line-up! several legends. 'Jazz' seems pretty inappropriate. Wish I could think of an excuse to go there that day on a work trip...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Yeah,

I'll be there, Looking forward to it. and then the mad rush down to Malaga for the next day's show.
Otis Westinghouse

Lucky imposter!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Look forward to hearing the reports.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/2007/07 ... 72830.html

El Mundo, July 6 '07

Entrevista a Elvis Costello

"Mi instinto me dice que no haré más discos, que me limitaré a actuar"
El artista británico llega a España junto a Allen Toussaint en su gira de homenaje a Nueva Orleáns

ELVIS COSTELLO & ALLEN TOUSSAINT | Viernes 13 en Villalba, Madrid (Viajazz), sábado 14 en Málaga (Festival Terral) y domingo 29 en San Sebastián (Heineken Jazzaldia) | 20-40 euros.

JOSÉ LUIS GARCÃ
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/259774/ ... /VILLALBA/

Elvis Costello saca a bailar al público en Collado Villalba
Reuters 14.07.2007 - 13:49h
COLLADO VILLALBA (Reuters) - Los festivales de jazz suelen reservar si no todo, al menos gran parte de su aforo para disfrutar de los conciertos sentado, lejos de los saltos y sudores que suelen compartirse generosamente en un recital de rock o pop.

Las sillas colocadas a pie de pista en el centro del campo municipal de Villalba estaban ocupadas, aunque cuando los teloneros se retiraron del escenario, varias decenas de jóvenes se agolpaban a pie de la pista estropeando la visión del público que pretendía ver más cómodo el recital de Elvis Costello y Allen Toussaint.

Aunque los miembros de seguridad del concierto trataron de apartar a los saltarines, los primeros acordes de 'Wonder Man' y, definitivamente, la electricidad de 'Chelsea' levantaron de sus asientos a los espectadores, que a partir del segundo tema optaron por disfrutar en movimiento de la mágica combinación de estilos que reservaba el de Liverpool y la banda de Nueva Orleans que le acompañaba.

Algunos le consideran un gran baladista; otros afirman que es uno de los grandes emblemas de la new wave; para muchos es una figura del soul y adoran sus incursiones en el jazz o el Rythm & Blues.

De hecho, entre un público de variada edad, camisetas de grupos tan dispares como Yes, Redd Kross u Otis Redding cubrían el torso de algunos de los asistentes.

Pero en el concierto de la noche del viernes a la madrugada del sábado, Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus, que tomó prestado del 'Rey del Rock' su nombre artístico, no decepcionó a nadie.

Acompañado de su fiel teclista Steve Nieve y del también pianista, productor y arreglista Allen Toussaint con su banda de Nueva Orleans, Costello ofreció un extenso repertorio compuesto por canciones propias arregladas - fundamentalmente añadiendo vientos - por Toussaint y un par de temas compuestos y cantados por el productor.

Toussaint brilló particularmente con el tema propio 'who's gonna help brother' mientras que la voz rasgada y llena de matices del compositor británico regaló los oídos de los asistentes con un repertorio tan amplio como variado.

Aunque abandonó hace años el 'look' a lo Buddy Holly, Costello recuperó en los últimos temas la Fender Jazzmaster para interpretar himnos de su época nuevaolera con clásicos del pop como 'Pump it up', 'Clubland' o la imprescindible 'Allison'.

/Por Carlos Ruano/

Google translation -

The festivales of jazz usually reserve if not everything, at least great part of their gauging to enjoy the concerts seated, far from the jumps and sweats that usually share generously in a recital of pop rock or. The chairs placed on foot of track in center of the municipal field of Villalba were occupied, although when the teloneros retired of the scene, several tens of young people on foot crowded of the track spoiling the vision of the public whom it tried to see more comfortable the recital of Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint.

Although the members of security of the concert tried to separate to the dancers, the first agreed ones of “Wonder Manâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse

[quote="johnfoyle"]Costello in the last recovered subjects the Fender Jazzmaster to interpret hymns of his nuevaolera time with classic of pop like “Pump it upâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.abc.es/hemeroteca/historico- ... 09772.html

A pleno Soul

15-7-2007 02:52:00

MÚSICA POPULAR

Viajazz 2007

Conciertos de YellowJackets y Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint.

Lugar: Campo de Fúbol de Collado Villalba, Madrid. Fecha: 13 de julio

LUIS MARTÃ
alexv

Post by alexv »

In the article above, the writer, referencing EC and Allen, says:

"Ambos aúnan en un mismo hatillo tradiciones salidas de orillas del Mississippi y la sofisticación del pop europeo."

This can be translated as: "Both unite in the same package the musical traiditions from the Mississipi and the sophistication of european pop ."

This is the first time I've ever seen a writer try to link up EC with sophisticated European pop. What the heck can he mean?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis is from Europe . Sophistication is , of course, a matter of opinion . In mine Elvis is sophisticated.

quod erat demonstrandum, as my limited studies in Latin would kind of allow me say.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Oh, John, you sophisticated European you, with all your Latin and such, let me elaborate on my question. I don't think I made myself clear. Please indulge me.

Of course I agee with you that our Hero is sophisticated, musically at least, but the reference in the article was to "sophisticated european pop".

Now, I've never thought of EC as european in the sense that I'm kind of old fashioned in thinking of the British Isles as something different than Europe. But I'm old fashioned and I can understand where now it's all one big Europe and folks see no difference between someone born in England of Irish parentage and say your typical Italian or German.

But leaving that aside, and assuming for the sake of argument that EC is European, I'm still stuck on the notion that this writer thinks him a European who makes sohisticated European pop. Remember, John, and I think we can agree on this, not all Europeans automatically make European pop, sophisticated or not.

When I think of European pop, and I must admit I don't think of it that much, I hear sounds that I associate in no way with EC's music. Now, British pop, with a substantial dose of American-based musical traditions, that I hear.

That's the reason for my question, John. Sorry I didn't make myself clear earlier. Had a long night.
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, we're one big sophisticated tribe here, and you lot are a bunch of primal thugs with no history!

Never seen 'hatillo' before. 'Package', you say, but does it have a literal meaning of another sort?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Oh, John, you sophisticated European you,
Get your coat , love , you've pulled!
alexv

Post by alexv »

Otis, since I'm surrounded by ignorant thugs on this side of the Atlantic, my spanish is not what it used to be, so I looked up the dictionary definition and came with "a small bundle". I used package which I figured was close and carried the point of the sentence.

Did you read the review? I'm always struck by the flowery nature of Spanish newspaper reviews. Sort of over the top, when compared to english reviews. What do you think?

John, "get your coat love, you've pulled"? I lost you on that one.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John, "get your coat love, you've pulled"? I lost you on that one.
Michael Caine , 'Alfie' ( I think) - now there's sophistication!
Why I posted? A , uh, ironic response to being given out to by pretending that I think you really like me or something.

It seemed like a good idea at the time ............I hate explaining jokes.....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A blog account in , I presume , Spanish -

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =288231812
Otis Westinghouse

Yep, Spanish. Clearly a big fan. Google translate, for what it's worth:

"The appointment was to 21:00, but our natural impuntualidad, together with a clogging threat, caused that we arrived half an hour at the stage later from the predicted thing, throwing the higadillos… Pity, because we lost the principle of the concert of the Yellowjackets, interesting group of instrumental jazz that did not know (Bob Mitzer, saxo, made me feel very guilty). We were listening from the launching slips while we gave to good account of jamoncito sandwiches and the mini ones with more ice of all History (if with Elton John the City council of Villalba did not cover expenses, I almost can assure that after the sale of minis they have recovered completely…) Chewing to two cheeks, and quite already anxious waiting for Mr. Costello, I dedicated myself to observe the environs discreetly. Like in all festival of “openâ€
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:
Oh, John, you sophisticated European you,
Get your coat , love , you've pulled!
alexv wrote:John, "get your coat love, you've pulled"? I lost you on that one.
alexv - it's an English joke

John - I was on your wavelength. I'm not sure if this is a good thing for you or not :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Google translate, for what it's worth
Several laughs... "uncle cabezón", etc.