Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

As a convert (to dts and Bowie!), I'm afraid you'll have to do the decent thing and sell or make a gift of your existing one, and get the new release. I can't recall where YA ranked in your Bowie pantheon, but if it's anywhere near your top 10 Bowies, you won't want to be without this release.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

We were following the wonderfully entertaining Skins series on E4, and it closed with Cat's Wild World. I didn't really know it, but my wife adores it, so I ordered this. Seems to have all the songs of his I know. Didn't know First Cut is the Deepest is his (love hearing it by him). And I was very keen to hear Another Saturday Night as I remember walking through the streets of Madrid one Saturday night in 1986 with two English brothers who would sing this song in a perfect two-part harmony, and it was the only time I've ever heard this song. Sadly, Cat's version was nowhere near as moving as theirs, but maybe the being lovelorn and somewhat tanked up in the wet streets of the city added to this.

And this (which, curiously, seems not to appear at all via Google Images - how diid they do that?). So far, so good. Only heard half of it, good mix of styles, and like the voice and words. Watched DVD, good prep for Thursday's gigs. Enjoyed it all, especially seeing the now disused house in Spiddal where they were based in the Irish folkie phase.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Bought the CD/DVD issue of Bowie's Y.A following Otis' orders ;) . Quite cheap on Cd-Wow. I was certain there'd been previous S.E's with surround mixes and stuff like that but I couldn't find any now at first glance.

The disc tray on my surround system malfunctioned today and when examining it closer I noticed the player has SACD support. I've owned it for a year and not noticed :lol: . Then again I had no idea what SACD was when I bought the thing. I looked up the SACD version of Scary Monsters following my incredible discovery but unfortunatley it's just a stereo mix.
Otis Westinghouse

And?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Bought it, haven't received it yet!

Or if you were referring to the Scary Monsters SACD only being in stereo, I feel it's not really worth its steep price. From what I've read it's not a particularly different experience from the normal cd.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh yeah, it has to arrive first! Should be quick, at least.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A rather shabbily compiled bunch of far from definitive live recordings (and recordings with dubbed screams to make them seem live) instead of a uniform concert performance, but good for the price and curiosity value. I'm still resigned to having to get Hot Rocks 2 and The Singles Collection for the next few, yep few, otherwise unavailable and thus far uncollected tunes and alternate versions (though at least the latter of those is comprehensive in terms of Decca singles and b-sides for the period and well presented -- original artwork, good notes etc).
Otis Westinghouse

As ever, if there's a new Bjork CD out, it should be bought. The 'return to fun and pop' of several reviews I saw seems exaggerated. Yes, after the austere and experimental Medulla, it's got beats and elements that hark back to Post etc., but it's still pretty challenging and out there for the most part, which is of course what you hope for. It seems to me a good summary of many of her styles and qualities from over the years, yet as ever, takes things forward again. some things on it are very uncompromising, and yes, there's some great fun too. I don't think it's in the stratospheric league of Homogenic, but it's not too far off. Declare Independence makes Army Of Me sound tame.

Great packaging, as ever. the memorable image above is on a sticker which you have to remove to open up and get the CD out. Lovely red, just like inside the new Wembley. And a mad font too. I see she's playing Glastonbury and a couple of other festivals. How I wish I could be there.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Couldn't resist and shelled out for Elliott Smith's New Moon compliation on the the basis of several sterling reviews and a few tracks I heard while I was in the UK.
Otis Westinghouse

Any good? Reviews have certainly been encouraging.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Haven't received it yet. Will let you know when I've had a chance to give it a listen.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

New Moon is brilliant of course - how the stunning "High Times" ever got left off "either/or" or any other record for that matter is beyond me.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

On a spree about a week and a half ago-

Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead before the Ship Even Sank
Feist - The Reminder
Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Living with the Living

Have to say, none of it is really sticking. A little disappointed with the lot. Maybe Elliott Smith and/or Arctic Monkeys will cheer me up?
Otis Westinghouse

I'd recommend either Bjork or Regina Spektor, myself. Charlotte Gainsbourg sounded like it might be nice to listen to as you drift off to sleep.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Have to say, none of it is really sticking. A little disappointed with the lot. Maybe Elliott Smith and/or Arctic Monkeys will cheer me up?
The Elliott Smith is a great record, but Im not sure I could ever recommend him to "cheer me up" - but get it anway Miss BA !
echos myron like a siren
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Fuse - Joe Henry. Excellent listening experience. Liking 'Like She Was A Hammer'. I'm sure that with each listen it wll get better and better and I'm looking forward to that
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Couldn't resist picking this up on its day of release. For the first time in well over a decade, the two Traveling Wilburys albums (Vol. 1 and Vol. 3) are available, remastered with bonus tracks, in a nice package that also includes a DVD with videos and home movies.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Whooa!

*runs off to 'Ye Olde Recorde Shoppe'.......*
echos myron like a siren
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I reeeeally want that, but it will have to wait. Effing condo assessment fees...
Otis Westinghouse

Nothing would ever possess me to want to listen to the Travelling Wilburys.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I sometimes worry about you Otis!
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

The feeling's mutual. Give me one good reason why I would want to!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Hearing five or six fantastically diverse singers-- all icons, really-- clearly having a blast together?

You're on a curmudgeon roll, Westinghouse! Suits you.