recent DVD purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Speaking of titles on Criterion, I finally watched M last night. I had always thought I was too stupid for that sort of thing, but the man of the house plied me with wine and made me watch with him. Oh my God, is that the scariest movie ever made or what? It starts off with a bang, with the children singing about the murderer, and the sequence with the girl's mother preparing lunch, and then she doesn't get home, and it just gets creepier and scarier. And that song from Peer Gynt! Chilling!
Goody2Shoes... you might be interested to know that Criterion are soon releasing the Fritz Laing film "The Testament of Dr Mabuse" in which Otto Wernicke reprises his role from "M" as Inspector Lohmann. For more details: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=231
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Until a week ago I had never seen Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I never thought I would want to but it came on cable the other night and my daughter got all excited so I watched it with her.

WOW, what a fantastic movie! I went out the next day and bought it.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Last weekend I watched the French animation and Academy Award nominated (Best Song and Best Animation) "Belleville Rendez-vous" (aka Les Triplettes de Belleville) - in a word "superb"!!! I cannot recommend this enough and would rate it second only to Miyazaki's brilliant "Spirited Away".

I also received a copy of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" yesterday and am currently awaiting the arrival of Kitano "beat" Takeshi's version of the film "Zatoichi" (the blind swordsman).

I also obtained copies of a few old Japanese 1960's monster/horror flicks including "King Kong's Revenge" (which features King Kong pitted against a giant robot Mechani Kong), "Mothra" (1961 version), "Atragon" (super submarine versus alien invaders), "Attack of the Mushroom People", and "Goke - Bodysnatcher From Hell".
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently got Volumes 3 & 4 of the THUNDERBIRDS. Great fun. We had some episodes on video, but they're different: edited for length, different character voices, different music. So we're having fun with these full unaltered ones (and these are new eppies to us as well).

One odd thing is that the accents are so incredibly bizarre. They seem to have hired a Chinese guy to do something between a Cockney and Scottish accent for Parker, and then they'll have someone who sounds Texan doing a New York accent, and someone from California doing an Irish one. I think Brains is meant to sound like a New York Jew, but I can't even really tell. Baffling really. And dang that Lady Penelope has some cool threads...
bobster

Post by bobster »

Tim(e) wrote: Goody2Shoes... you might be interested to know that Criterion are soon releasing the Fritz Laing film "The Testament of Dr Mabuse" in which Otto Wernicke reprises his role from "M" as Inspector Lohmann. For more details: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=231
I've been curious about this movie -- and the whole Dr. Mabuse phenomenon -- for most of my life, though I haven't seen it. Recently rented the fascinating DVD of the original silent film "Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler", unfortunately, the second DVD in the set didn't work. (I nevertheless still listened to the commentary on the first DVD -- apparently Dr. Mabuse's name recognition in Germany rivals that of Mickey Mouse!).

And I love the fact that Lang united his two best known German characters for this film. Love this sort of stuff.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Tim(e) wrote:Last weekend I watched the French animation and Academy Award nominated (Best Song and Best Animation) "Belleville Rendez-vous" (aka Les Triplettes de Belleville) - in a word "superb"!!! I cannot recommend this enough and would rate it second only to Miyazaki's brilliant "Spirited Away".

I also received a copy of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" yesterday and am currently awaiting the arrival of Kitano "beat" Takeshi's version of the film "Zatoichi" (the blind swordsman).

I also obtained copies of a few old Japanese 1960's monster/horror flicks including "King Kong's Revenge" (which features King Kong pitted against a giant robot Mechani Kong), "Mothra" (1961 version), "Atragon" (super submarine versus alien invaders), "Attack of the Mushroom People", and "Goke - Bodysnatcher From Hell".
But everyone has such eclectic/thoughtful taste in movies. No wonder I hang out here.

Coupla things....

Lots of really smart people love "Triplets," but I just want to counter slightly that personally didn't care much for "Triplets", despite the fascinating animation. Felt like a joke I wasn't entirely in on -- a feeling I also get with Jacques Tati films, but that's obviously just me. I actually chose not to review this (saw it at the AFI Film Festival) because I really felt as if I didn't get it enough even to register a coherent opinion on it, one way or the other. Glad I saw it, but slightly impatient with it as well. Not saying it's bad, just that it might be a bit too off center even for people with pretty off center tastes. (Lapinsjoli actively hated it, btw.) I like the song alot, though.

--

And Takeshi's "Zatiochi" already available on DVD??? Hasn't been released yet here in the states -- but then lots of Asian movies get released here on DVD before obtaining a sort of token theatrical run. Another truly great Takeshi film to watch out for is "Dolls", which outdoes even "Fireworks" for low-key tearjerking power and contains absolutely no onscreen violence of any kind. Shocking, but true.

--
And a question about something I've never been able to get straight -- is the Japanese King Kong really supposed to be the same ape as the U.S. King Kong -- the one who dragged Fay Wray up the Empire State Phallus...I mean "Building"...? I've heard, that it's actually just a English language name for a Japanese King-Kong-esque character, adopted to get a bit of quick name recognition in the English speaking world....(Which must have created an interesting legal situation)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

My History of Film class got to see Spirited Away when we did animation (we also watched The Iron Giant, a personal favorite of mine). None of them had seen it, and they weren't expecting to like it, but they loved it. On the exam, many of them indicated that that was their favorite film from the course (and we watched a lot of great films--24 in all-- so that's saying something). I highly recommend it. I think it's Miyazaki's best work.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bobster wrote:Lots of really smart people love "Triplets," but I just want to counter slightly that personally didn't care much for "Triplets", despite the fascinating animation...(Lapinsjoli actively hated it, btw.) I like the song alot, though.
I can understand why people might not really be comfortable with "Triplets", and I myself admit to finding some scenes a little oppressive... particularly those involving the cyclists. I do however have trouble understanding how someone could actively hate it... (perhaps Lapinsjoli would like to throw in 2 cents worth at this point?). I also admit that it appealed to my often distorted sense of reality (I loved the interpretation of NYC).
And Takeshi's "Zatiochi" already available on DVD??? Hasn't been released yet here in the states -- but then lots of Asian movies get released here on DVD before obtaining a sort of token theatrical run. Another truly great Takeshi film to watch out for is "Dolls", which outdoes even "Fireworks" for low-key tearjerking power and contains absolutely no onscreen violence of any kind. Shocking, but true.
Takeshi's Zatoichi is indeed available on DVD in Japan. I have quite a few of his films including Boiling Point, Violent Cop, Sonatine, Getting Any, Hana-bi (aka Fireworks), Kikujiro's Summer, and Dolls. He is a true renaissance man, who acts, directs, host TV chat shows and panel shows, writes for numerous publications and paints (he is responsible for all of the artwork in the film Hana-bi). I would rate Hana-bi as one of the best films I have ever seen.

Because my wife is from Japan we tend to buy a lot of Japanese films on DVD whenever we get the chance to visit her family over there. My collection contains many films by the likes of Kurosawa, Itami, Ozu, Iwai, and so on... as well as a lot of more contemporary directors.

At last count I had about 86 Japanese films on DVD, not counting animation or my Criterion Collection releases (so in all, they would number well over 100). I also have a lot of Chinese, Korean and Indian films on DVD... but that is because I am a great fan of Asian cinema in general and that part of the world tends to be responsible for some of the more exciting film-making at the moment.
And a question about something I've never been able to get straight -- is the Japanese King Kong really supposed to be the same ape as the U.S. King Kong -- the one who dragged Fay Wray up the Empire State Phallus...I mean "Building"...? I've heard, that it's actually just a English language name for a Japanese King-Kong-esque character, adopted to get a bit of quick name recognition in the English speaking world....(Which must have created an interesting legal situation)
I am afraid I cannot answer your question, except to say that it is a fairly moth-eaten King Kong who features in the films "Godzilla vs King Kong" and "King Kong's Revenge". He definitely bears more than a passing resemblance to Fay Wray's friend.

And to noiseradio, I have to agree that Spirited Away is one of Miyazaki's best films (right up there with Nausicaa, Laputa - Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke), but I have to say that I am really looking forward to his most recent effort called Howl's Moving Castle (based on the story by Diana Wynne Jones) which is getting it's cinema release around November of this year... so hopefully it might make it onto DVD some time next year. In terms of storyboards, this is apparently bigger than Spirited Away.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The only one I wasn't nuts about was Kiki's Delivery Service. Thanks for the heads up on his next one.

Did you ever get to see The Princess Blade? I finally got my copy of it, and I thought the final product was pretty good. I'm biased, of course, but I really like the opening, and the choreography throughout is really great. (The voiceover work is solid, too. Especially the supporting cast...)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Yesterday I purchased 21 Grams. It is depressing, disturbing at times and powerful. Naomi Watts was fantastic and deserving of an Oscar. Sean Penn was great as usual. It jumps around sort of like Pulp Fiction but all come together in the end. It is a sad movie but very good and I am happy that I bought it.
bobster

Post by bobster »

There's one Miyazaki film Noise -- and maybe even Tim(e) -- may not know about that's tons of fun. It's "Castle Cagliostro" -- one of several films and TV shows based on a character called Lupin III, who is supposed to be the great grandson of French pulp-fiction gentleman thief Arsene (?) Lupin. It's terribly fun, silly stuff in a sort of lighter-than-Bond sort of way, but it's got that trademark Miyazaki sweetness/romanticism.

The funny part is that "Castle C" has been a sort of favorite of mine since my teens, but it was only after seeing the wonderful "Princess Mononoke" that I realized they were both directed by the same genius. It's available on DVD.

Re: 21 Grams. I think I've written elsewhere on this board that I really didn't care for it. Innaritu has real talent, but I didn't like the way the movie skipped over the everything else to get to the pain right away. How can we appreciate what these characters have lost if we never get to see them semi-happy? After a while, the "feel my pain" theatrics irriated the heck out of me. Still, obviously, lots of people loved this film. I would definitely reccommend the far-less-pained "Amores Perros" to all who did.

On the other hand, I've been working part time for a company that captions films on the way to DVD or TV releases and I saw a lovely film that was also very sad by its nature, but truly touching. "My Life Without Me" should be out on DVD fairly soon, I imagine. It stars Sarah Polley as a young mother who finds out she has terminal cancer. What's great is that instead of milking it for the obvious tragedy, it actually takes a sort of seriocomic approach to the whole thing. (She makes a to do list which includes finding a new wife for her husband that her kids will love and having an affair, as her husband is the only man she's been with.)

At times, it's wickedly funny -- which makes it all the more moving. Great cast (also including Mark Ruffalo as the affair-guy, Amanda Plummer and Deborah Harry, doing the best acting I've seen from her).

It's also very, very Canadian. I really groved on Ms. Polley's speech patterns while I was getting all verklempt. It's the subtle things -- not too many "ehs" and absolutely no "abuts", but little things like "You go out and take care of that, as well", where a U.S. resident would likely say, "You go out and take care of that, too." And there's also something Canadian about the way she uses the F-word that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe it's just a more polite F-word up North :?
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Sorry bobster, but I do have a copy of Cagliostro ;) I originally had it on VHS years ago (released on the Manga label) and got it again as soon as it was released on DVD.

We actually have just about the entire Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli catalogue including all of the major titles such as Grave of the Fireflies, Cat's Return/Ghiblis Episode 2, Whisper of the Heart, Ponpoko, Laputa, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke (and a 3 DVD set on the making of PM entitled the Birth of Mononoke), Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away. We also have a few of the lesser known (outside Japan at least) titles such as Dog of Flanders, Marco, Heidi, and the Conan - Future Boy series. Hell, I have even been to the Miyazaki museum in Tokyo :shock: (you might say I like the work that Miyazaki and his friends put out).

noiseradio, I did get hold of a copy of Princess Blade but am yet to get around to watching it. Finding the time to watch the more "violent" films at our place is a little tricky having one 2 year old and one 5 year old... I have a number of films waiting to be watched ahead of Princess Blade including another sword play film called Azumi.

My DVD collection is now sitting somewhere around the 720 film mark and of those a large number remain unwatched (but not necessarily unseen)... I might have to take an early retirement so I can catch up ;)
Last edited by Tim(e) on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Watching more DVDs with my son (a local store had a 25% off sale, can you tell??)-- right now we're watching THE BEATLES: THE FIRST U.S. VISIT. I am happy to report he is riveted... really motionless in his chair with a big smile. I think I'm having more fun watching him, frankly!!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Tim(e) wrote:We actually have just about the entire Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli catalogue including all of the major titles such as Grave of the Fireflies, Cat's Return/Ghiblis Episode 2, Whisper of the Heart, Ponpoko, Laputa, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke (and a 3 DVD set on the making of PM entitled the Birth of Mononoke), Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away. We also have a few of the lesser known (outside Japan at least) titles such as Dog of Flanders, Marco, Heidi, and the Conan - Future Boy series. Hell, I have even been to the Miyazaki museum in Tokyo :shock: (you might say I like the work that Miyazaki and his friends put out).
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Blue said it - Man oh man is Concert for George a great DVD. That first section by Ravi Shankar absolutely blew me away - stunning piece of music - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers do an awesome version of Taxman - Mike Campbell on lead does a fantastic almost note perfect George impersonation. Great sound, great visuals, great band, all for a great guy. Its a fitting tribute to George - and very very moving ( I teared up at least three times....heh).
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I recently bought the Concert for George DVD, but I haven't had the time to sit down and watch it all the way through yet, which is my preference for the first viewing. I did see the film in a theatre though, and I posted at the time that it was wonderful, and quite moving. Speaking of Petty, I also enjoyed his "Handle with Care" rendition with Jeff Lynne, and there were many other musical highlights.

For me, the most startling and moving thing about the film was watching Dhani play. He's quite reminiscent of his dad, especially at the age when he (George) and his mates were first imprinted on my impressionable adolescent psyche. Seeing him (Dhani) playing second fiddle (so to speak) to Clapton, Petty, Lynne et al was one thing, but when he shared the stage in his low-key way with Paul and with Ringo, I teared up my own self.

The concert was not maudlin in the least, and as at the RnRHoF induction, George was remembered in the most fitting way of all, with stirring, loving renditions of some of his fine music.

All things must pass away, indeed.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Amen, Amen. The Concert for George is one of the only concert films I can watch over and over. There's also an excellent 'Behind the scenes' segment of rehearsals.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad to hear others are into the Concert for George... definitely among my most prized music DVDs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up the new 2DVD deluxe edition of The Commitments. Cool film, great music, and tons of bonus features.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BLUE: I saw Clockwork Orange first time round then read the book - boy was it hard reading!!

My partner bought 'Gothica' a few weeks ago and I watched it last night - it was pants!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
bobster

Post by bobster »

I saw "The Concert for George" on PBS and taped it. Though parts of it were pretty remarkable, it didn't have quite the same impact on me. Wonder if anything was missing on this version as opposed to the DVD....
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I think the PBS version was basically the theatrical film, or possibly a shortened version, with some backstage segments interspersed. The DVD has many more backstage and rehearsal segments, and the concert itself on DVD is full-length, longer than both the theatrical and PBS versions.

Can anyone confirm?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Just received the Director's Series - The Works of Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham, and Michel Gondry from Amazon. This is three DVDs containing a lot of music clips and other sundry work such as video installations, advertisements etc etc.

So far I have only had a chance to give them a quick sqizz, but the video quality is excellent, and despite being in Dolby Digital 2.0 only, the audio is surprisingly good. I just love those Spike Jonze clips such as Weapon of Choice (Fatboy Slim), Buddy Holly (Weezer), and It's Oh So Quiet (Bjork). This set also includes a lot of audio commentaries by many of the artists involved.

The other DVD I am getting rather excited about (and which is in transit as I type), is the Japanese Limited Edition release of Kill Bill Vol.1
This is the completely uncut version and has the scenes of the fight in the House of Blue Leaves in full colour (not B&W as was released to western cinemas). Oh, and it also comes packaged with an Okinawa t-shirt the same as that worn by The Bride.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Reservoir Dogs - Under $10. Couldn't pass it up
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bobster

Post by bobster »

[quote="Tim(e)"]So far I have only had a chance to give them a quick sqizz, but the video quality is excellent, and despite being in Dolby Digital 2.0 only, the audio is surprisingly good. I just love those Spike Jonze clips such as Weapon of Choice (Fatboy Slim), Buddy Holly (Weezer), and It's Oh So Quiet (Bjork). This set also includes a lot of audio commentaries by many of the artists involved.[quote]

I rented the Spike Jonze one and watched most of it. Quite agree that the guy's a freaking genius and those three are stand outs -- I actually like the Bjork one the best, though due props to the genius of C. Walken, who needs to dance more before he gets really old. The other great one was the "Praise You" video -- not exactly great filmmaking in the traditional sense, but hilarious and brilliant.