Alex Rodriguez Redux

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Alex Rodriguez Redux

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It has been difficult for me in the past to warm up to Alex Rodriguez as a player and person-something always seemed to be off putting about him [even with the garish stats and accolades he has acquired over his career]-trying too hard to be liked, always seeming to be in love with himself, awkward in the spotlight, insecurity[even with the monstrous talent he possesses]-with all this in mind this season has been a revelation for me-an early injury which shortened his season has still resulted in stats that would be marveled at were they attributed to a mere player-the seeming ease with which he has transformed himself into a great third baseman-the way he has seemingly been able to find peace between the chalk lines and just perform, particularly in this post-season[where his hits have either provided a significant run or runs or at least allowed the game to continue]-I know he will not win the AL MVP[should go to Joe Mauer] but I almost feel that this year of his is truly deserving of that award-he can play on my baseball team[ah if he had only been a Redsox those years back].

I feel fortunate to be able to watch him perform along with his peer Albert Pujols- when I throw in the pitching prowess of Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddox and Mariano Rivera and add the impecable play of Ichiro- I feel I have been allowed to experience and view a real golden age in Baseball.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
alexv

Re: Alex Rodriguez Redux

Post by alexv »

A Rod has been amazing this post-season. Here's hoping he keeps it up. As a Yankees fan, a pet peeve of mine has been the whole Jeter/Arod comparisons. Both players are clear hall of famers. ARod's admission of steroid use is not an issue for me. Ever since he came up as an 18 year old he was a star, putting up awesome numbers. His past off-season failures have to take into account the fact that you have better pitching and that a player like him, so dangerous with one swing, gets pitched to differently than lesser hitters. In any case, as he's proving this year, baseball is about the long term and you can't make valid points about performance based on so few at bats.

But back to Jeter/Arod. Jeter, as girardi admitted last night, was never the key to any of the Yankee World Series winners. Bernie Williams, Tino, Paul O'Neill, those were the key guys. jeter was crucial in terms of getting on base, but the big boys, the ones who did the damage were the aforementioned guys. Jeter is Pete Rose; Arod is, by comparison, Aaron or Reggie or Mays. Hall of Famers all, but the guys with the homers accumulate the most bases (Jeter never walks by the way) and bases, as Bill james points out, is what the game is all about, hitting wise.

Jeter is clutch, clearly and smart and should be treasured for what he is. ARod is a whole different animal. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Here's an interesting question, for me. What current day hitters, great hitters, manage to hit great pitching. I would not put Arod on that list, by the way. My candidates (current-day expanded to cover the last 30 years or so): Manny, George Brett (best hitter I ever saw), Rose, Gwynn
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

my computer exploded when it got to willie mays and arod in the same sentence. for the record though, jeter's obp was over 400 this year and lifetime is 388, so he walks.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

AlexV- have been simply astounded by AROD's play this post season-he has done it all for me. The best example for me was his baserunning last night- intelligent, daring and productive-proving you do not have to hit a home run to score a run-if I had a son or a daughter interested in baseball I would want them to view the tape of AROD on the basepath as an example of how to do it correctly- I was particularly impressed with the way he signaled from third base to the runner on second what his intentions would be depending on how and where the ball was hit- it was a prime tutorial on how to play this aspect of the game-as to the Jeter/Rodriguez argument do not give it much mind- Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer, like AROD, but they are totally different quality players and after this year I would have to vote for AROD as perhaps the greatest pure talent in the game with the possible exception of Pujols-I give little credence to the steroid argument in relation to AROD-this is a player who has been producing on a prodigious level since he was 18- stupid to take them for the period he did but he did come clean and has in my mind redeemed himself.

As an aside, I cannot tolerate any longer Manny's antics- I am so sick of Manny being Manny- to leave the bench and be in the shower in the 9th inning the other night- I am so glad he is no longer a Redsox player.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I hate A-Rod.

Or Slappy McBluelips as I like to call him.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
alexv

Post by alexv »

oily, Jeter's obp is high because he has a high batting average. Obp is a combination of walks and hits. It's not that he never walks, but great obp hitters combine a 300 range batting average with 100 walks. Arod has done this consitently. Jeter's a great player, unquestionably, and a hall of famer. Not in the same league as Arod and...willie mays.

BAP, he does have blue lips. And he's a jerk. A friend of mine works for Topps and they've done promotions over the years involving ARod and Jeter and lots of others. According to her, ARod is a complete prima donna and a rude jerk; jeter is always gracious. My preference for Arod over J is purely based on beisbol.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

obp is a combo of walks and hits. now i get it. does it include catcher's interference? arod's steroid infused years sport significantly different stats. he will perhaps get a hall of fame greeting different from mark mcquire only because society will have adjusted by then. you are arguing to be arguing about the stats, you can't just say it and it be true. arod has walked 100 times once in 15 years. and that year, exactly 100. plate demeanor is similar. they have to pitch to jeter, they try to get around arod. witness the ALCS. in fact, take out intentional walks and they probably draw the same. i hate both of em.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.