Euro 2008 FFL

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Euro 2008 FFL

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nope, didn't work. I was much happier to see Italy go through. The French were awful and deserved nothing (in the first two games, didn't see it tonight). Always been keen on Holland since 1974 when I was allowed to stay at home and watch the final, aged almost 10, even though my Great Aunt was visiting and they'd all gone out for a cream tea! I was totally distraught that my hero Cruyff and co lost.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I know nothing about football or the Euro Cup. All I know is that we've had a lot of people draped in all sorts of flags, parading through our neighbourhood and disrupting traffic. Yesterday it took me an extra 15 minutes to get home because of the incessant honking of car horns and shouting of crazed Italian soccer fans (my area is heavily populated by Italians and Portuguese). There were cops out to do crowd control and everything. When I stepped outside to take out the garbage at around 8:30 PM, people were still honking their horns like crazy.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just think of it as a mini-World Cup with European countries only. They have an equivalent in South America called the Copa America and we even have our own version here in North America, the Gold Cup. Given the quality of the countries involved, the European Cup is understandably very prestigious. Greece pulled a major upset by winning it four years ago, but it looks likely to revert to a traditional power this time around.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Greece pulled a major upset by winning it four years ago, but it looks likely to revert to a traditional power this time around.
ie not England. :roll:

Mrs VG is out tonight so the crisps and the beer are all set up. All I need is for Baby VG to stay asleep...

So France are out. Deservedly so from having watched their matches. Thierry Henry looked out of sorts throughout the tournament didn't he?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:So France are out. Deservedly so from having watched their matches. Thierry Henry looked out of sorts throughout the tournament didn't he?
Yep. Very unimpressed by France. Domenech is really not a good manager. They should be creating more opportunities with the talent they have.
Otis Westinghouse

He's a knob. Cross between Martin Scorsese and Joe 90. Henry is a washed up waste of space. Good to see they didn't do much. Spain to beat Italy in next round. Spain v Holland final would be heaven.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:He's a knob. Cross between Martin Scorsese and Joe 90. Henry is a washed up waste of space. Good to see they didn't do much. Spain to beat Italy in next round. Spain v Holland final would be heaven.
He left certain players out because of their astrological signs, from what I read. He's a bit of a nutcase.
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed. Spain v Holland can only be semi. Predict Portugal v Croatia and Spain v Holl for semis, Portugal v Holl final. Could be a cracker.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Looking forward to Holland - Russia quarterfinal. Russia seem to be playing better with every game, and with Arshawin back from suspension they could demolish any defence.
Will be keeping my fingers crossed for Holland, though, and the final Portugal - Holland.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Germany predictably beat Portugal with Ronaldo a flop. I fear that Italy will beat Spain.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

OK, then, Holland v Germany, perfect as a revisit of that sad '74 World Cup final, but this time with the right team winning! It was a really frustrating game this evening - some great skill and movement from the Portuguese, but a lack of penetrating the defence, way too much desperate whacking from miles out, and some weak defending and goal-keeping. I expected more. Germany using their height advantage, as expected. At least we don't have to suffer Oliver Kahn, but they have their fair share of revolting players, especially Schweinsteiger (doesn't that translate as 'pigmounter'?), and of course Ballack. Anyone hear the interviewer where he said 'We are Germans. We can rise to the big occasion' or words to that effect. Simao and Deco were both impressive, Ronaldo only very occasionally, Quaresma should have played, and maybe bring on Postiga sooner.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:OK, then, Holland v Germany, perfect as a revisit of that sad '74 World Cup final, but this time with the right team winning! It was a really frustrating game this evening - some great skill and movement from the Portuguese, but a lack of penetrating the defence, way too much desperate whacking from miles out, and some weak defending and goal-keeping. I expected more. Germany using their height advantage, as expected. At least we don't have to suffer Oliver Kahn, but they have their fair share of revolting players, especially Schweinsteiger (doesn't that translate as 'pigmounter'?), and of course Ballack. Anyone hear the interviewer where he said 'We are Germans. We can rise to the big occasion' or words to that effect. Simao and Deco were both impressive, Ronaldo only very occasionally, Quaresma should have played, and maybe bring on Postiga sooner.
Simao was impressive!? What game were you watching? I agree about Deco. He had a fine tournament. Portugal got burned by Germany's superior height, some poor defending from Ferreira and comedy goalkeeping by Ricardo. Ballack had another strong game. You may hate the guy, but he is a born leader and has been in tremendous form since he came back from injury.
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah sure, but Big Phil is gonna leave him on the bench from now on!!!

Deco much more significant than Simao, who was quieter, but he showed some class moves, and was involved in the goal build up. Carvalho was also significantly at fault - they showed afterwards how with the Klose goal he was correctly positioned to stop the goal but moved across away from his man when it was played in.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I thought Bosingwa looked fairly useful going forward.
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Yep, Bosingwa could be a very good buy for Chelsea. (not cheap, though)
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Unbelievable! Turkey have mastered the art of coming back to the game at the very last minute and scoring in extra time. Actually in this case it was extra time of the extra time, which made it even more difficult to swallow for Croatians.
With three Turkish players suspended, however, Germany seem like a sure finalist now.
Otis Westinghouse

Agreed - Boswingwa looks handy, fast and a good crosser.

Am almost relieved I was out and didn't watch the Turkey game live, but the timing of that goal was astonishing. I feel for Bilic, he's done well. Apparently Croatia had prepared for penalties and Turkey not!
verbal gymnastics

I'm so pleased Italy are out.

And justice was served for the cynical playacting of De Natale.

I was actually sitting in my front room willing him to miss his penalty.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

VG, all three sentences are spot on. :D

De Natale rolling back on the pitch to stop the game was just pathetic.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A lot of disappointed Italy fans in my area yesterday afternoon. Though they were good sports as Spanish fans drove or marched by, waving their flags.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Absolutely re willing De Natale (or 'Natalie' as they were calling him!) to miss, served the tosser right. Way too much cynical fouling/trying to get free kicks from the Italians, worst offenders in the tournament for that. It was a long slog, but so glad they got there. An Austrian work contact today told me he could get me a ticket for Thursday if I wanted it. Hideous temptation! Can't afford the time away, can't be splashing the cash with a family hol to save for... If he hadn't been in Cambridge last week, I could have got away with the pretext of needing a meeting. Trying not to think about it.

Spain to win!
verbal gymnastics

I'm sure it wasn't just us willing De Natale to miss. Seems like we all did a good job though.

Otis - what a difficult decision to have to make. I hope your wife forgives you when you come back. Not that I'm trying to sway you or anything!

And anyway, there'll be other years for holidays :lol:

Since baby VG has started sleeping through the night Mrs VG is doing her utmost to catch up with the nights she missed going out :roll: On the plus side it has meant that I am getting to watch loads of football. She wants to go out Thursday and Sunday nights. And do you know what - I'm not going to argue!!!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

invisible Pole wrote: With three Turkish players suspended, however, Germany seem like a sure finalist now.
Oh, right; that was easy!!!
Lucky Germany (though they did have a certain penalty turned down - the ref was awful)

PS Otis - have you given up on the Euro fantasy league??
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

What a great game.

I hope the other semi is as good.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fishfinger king wrote:
invisible Pole wrote: With three Turkish players suspended, however, Germany seem like a sure finalist now.
Oh, right; that was easy!!!
Lucky Germany (though they did have a certain penalty turned down - the ref was awful)

PS Otis - have you given up on the Euro fantasy league??
Other than the penalty I thought the ref was quite good. Of course, the last 20 minutes or so were a mess with the satellite signal going out. Lahm was very fortunate to score the inning goal, because he was otherwise awful - burned over and over again by the Turks.'

I've given up on the Euro League - too hard to make changes, log in, etc.