The Cosmos request line is now open

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Pop: crowded house, marshall crenshaw, chris isaak, fountains of wayne, freedy johnston, smithereens, prefab sprout, rufus wainwright (he will need a proper introduction)
Americana: Los Lobos, the Blasters, Steve Earle
Blues: howling wolff, charles brown (swave blues)
country: merle haggard, hank senior, iris dement, kim richey
world: juan luis guerra (poetic lyrics with an old fashioned latin beat), Luis Miguel (Romances), Benny Moret
jazz: benny carter, al cohn, joshua redman, joe lovano
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Has Juan Luis Guerra ever topped the divine Ojala Que Llueva Cafe, which was a big hit when I was in Spain 13-14 years ago?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

How about Elvis Costello - Radio Radio as your first song(?)
alexv

Post by alexv »

A chance to chat about Juan Luis!! Thanks, OW and sorry in advance if I give you too much info.

Right after "Ojala..." he made an album called "Bachata Rosa" which was his breakthrough hit (it topped Latin charts in the US and was a big hit in Spain,and all over Latin and South America). It is a classic: here's where he got the poetic lyricism and killer dance rhythms perfectly right. He followed up with another classic: "Areito" which was more political and turned some people off in the Dominican Republic (his country) because Juan Luis comes from a priviliged background (well-to-do family; he studied in the US (Berkley School of Music)) and they thought his stance to be hyppocritical. Anyway, who cares. The record is fabulous. The records since have been mixed but I also recommend "Ni is los Mismo Ni es Igual" which has him doing his thing, plus some pretty singer/songwriter stuff. IMHO the guy's a genius.

Saw him live in Radio City, sorrounded by a packed house of screaming Dominicans who feted him at the end of a spectacular set by carrying a huge Dominican flag up to the stage and presenting him with it. It was a love fest between the immigrant community and their hero. Although I am Cuban and don't share the patriotic passion, it was still a sight to behold. Final note: I walked past him and his band walking in the City, and only noticed him after I had passed, and I was too damned cool to run back. On my walkman at the time I had Van's San Francisco concert on one side and his Areito on the other. I think he would have gotten a kick out of that. Dumb move. The end.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks for that, sounds like a memorable gig, and a memorable street moment. And what a great tape you had at the time!

I have the first three LPs on tape, but Bachata Rosa and Areito didn't excite me musically as Ojala, which I thought had several really great songs (title track, with the totally arresting sound of a kids chorus willing it to rain coffee on the countryside, Woman de Callao, Visa Para un Sueño) tha the other two never quite reached, though I agree they are all very good.

You couldn't escape him in Spain when I was there, round about 90-91. My most regretted missed EC concert was at the Plaza de Toros in Madrid on the Mighty Like A Rose tour, July 1991. A friend was getting married back home so I had to leave town, and I think JLG was playing only a day or two before or after, so I really did miss out. Nice to see the EC/JLG connection resurrected here!

So, getting back to the topic, Cosmosis should start with Radio, Radio, and fit some JLG in there too!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Congratulations Cosmos - well done!, and I wish you luck and success with this exciting new project! Count me in for a regular listener when it gets on to the net!

No need to ask who the main request will be for from us forum regulars :lol: - but also we will all be requesting some pretty cool music if the 'song tower' thread is anything to go by!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Alan Price - Poor People
The Replacements - Skyway
Jay Bennett & Edward Burch - Venus Stopped The Train
The Flaming Lips - This Here Giraffe
Johnny Dowd - Lost Avenue
Greg Brown - Mose Allison Played Here
Guy Clark - L.A. Freeway
Iris DeMent - No Time To Cry
Robbie Fulks - Real Money
Steve Forbert - It Isn't Gonna Be That Way
Skip James - Hard Times Killing Floor Blues
Bessie Smith - You've Been A Good Ole Wagon
Johnny Paycheck - Like Me (You'll Recover In Time)
Lou Reed - This Magic Moment
Steve Young - Alabama Highway
Paul Burch - Polio
David Baerwald - Love #29
Warren Zevon - Keep Me In Your Heart
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Good stuff, El Vez..... :D
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
El Vez

Post by El Vez »