Your favourites movies. ( Top 5 )

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bob And Charlotte

Your favourites movies. ( Top 5 )

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

01. Fargo
02. Manhattan
03. Nashville
04. Lost in Translation
05. Ranging Bull
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

tough one...

I have a lot of favourite movies, but it seems like these are ones that stay up top for me.

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Annie Hall
3. Magnolia
4. Vertigo
5. Being John Malkovich
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

>5. A Beautiful Mind

Sentimental nonsense with some good acting. I was so fidgety when this hollywood shitty movie beat the Fellowship of the Ring at the Oscars...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:>5. A Beautiful Mind

Sentimental nonsense with some good acting. I was so fidgety when this hollywood shitty movie beat the Fellowship of the Ring at the Oscars...
Hey, I wasn't a big fan either, but it's their 5th favourite... so deal with it :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Royal Tennenbaums
Lost in Translation
Say Anything (there was a period of about three years where I watched this once a month)

I could think of many for #'s 4 and 5 and I think I am missing some crucial ones - but one in my head is Willy Wonka, mostly for nostalgic reasons. I also love the Princess Bride, and tons of old movies like Arsenic and Old Lace, Notorious, It's A Wonderful Life, etc. I am rather scattered in things like this. Oh, and I really loved Eternal Sunshine - although it seems incomprehensible that Jim Carrey could be in one of my favorite movies...
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nailing down my favorite movies is almost as bad as trying to nail down my favorite Elvis songs. :?

But I do love Say Anything. I must have seen it a million times. I still watch it occasionally.

DrS and I watched Sixteen Candles AGAIN a few nights ago. It's just so damn funny.

Bull Durham is always a good movie. Lots of good quotable lines.

And for those corny moments, the very first Vacation movie. My kids think it is a scream.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

1) Bull Durham
2) When Harry Met Sally
3) The Outlaw Jose Wales
4) 16 Candles
5) Mulholland Drive
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

In no particular order....

Forest Gump

As Good As It gets

Gone With the Wind

Titanic

Mary Poppins
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

-the third man
-raging bull
-the legend of 1900
-faraway so close
-one night on earth
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Impossible !!

5 (6 really) that popped into my head right off -

Godfather (I or II or both)
Treasure of The Sierra Madre
American Graffiti
The Maltese Falcon
Chinatown
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Bob And Charlotte

Gillibeanz wrote:In no particular order....

Forest Gump

As Good As It gets

Gone With the Wind

Titanic

Mary Poppins

this is probably the wrost list i´ve ever seen. though Forrest Gump is a good movie.

ps: dont miss the opportunity to mess with my list Gillibeanz. i think i really deserve it :D
Boy With A Problem

I like your list B&C - but I think you should have stayed with the theme -

Fargo
Manhattan
Nashville
Atlantic City
Paris, Texas
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

CURRENT top five, not of all time.

The Rules Of Attraction
Evil Dead
Clerks
Day Of The Dead
Shaun Of The Dead
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Wehit: Do you have a thing with death? Three of those movies have the word dead in them. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm anti-list right now, but I must say I was blown away by watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time last night, and if I was on Desert Island DVDiscs right now, I would choose that, and then I could learn some Mandarin too. It's stunningly original, mouth-watering to watch, beuatifully acted and directed, fits the old adage about cinema being like dreaming with your eyes open to a t, and is tremendously moving.

I haven't even heard of Say Anything. What is it?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BOB & CHARLOTTE: I dont watch an awful lot of films as im not a big film buff, but I know what I like and im not going to apologise to anyone either for my taste in films or music. Neither do I make up a ficticious list to impress anyone with 'high brow' choices! *copious raspberry blowing in your general direction BIGTIME!!!* :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

What?! Never heard of Say Anything? John Cusack at his most adorably puppyish? Maybe they called it something different over there...

In no order:

Band of Outsiders
The Warriors
West Side Story
Heathers
Dogville

And I am surprised by the number of movies on others' lists that I hated, namely Clerks, When Harry Met Sally and Titanic. Nothing personal, you understand.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm anti-list right now, but I must say I was blown away by watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time last night, and if I was on Desert Island DVDiscs right now, I would choose that, and then I could learn some Mandarin too. It's stunningly original, mouth-watering to watch, beuatifully acted and directed, fits the old adage about cinema being like dreaming with your eyes open to a t, and is tremendously moving.

I haven't even heard of Say Anything. What is it?
It is only the BEST MOVIE EVER.

Starring an incredibly cute John Cusack and written by Cameron Crowe. I think I can say it would be right up your alley with lines like "I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen", etc. Now, go watch it - immediately.

Thank you. :wink:
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

1. The Roaring 20's
2. In Which We Serve
3. Fargo
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Usual Suspects

shit....4got Shrek....and Rear Window and Rope and Its a wonderful Life and The Third Man and bollox...I can't play this. Make it top 20 next time :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

For Russell Crowe movies before he got all bloated - LA Confidential is great too. Also good b/c it's before Kevin Spacey lost his mind to fame.

And I can't believe I forgot Usual Suspects. I LOVE the entire cast of that movie - Kevin Pollack and Stephen Baldwin are both really underated and great.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I too have to beg off the list aspect, but I'll mention a few faves of different sorts:

- BRAZIL. The ultimate showcase for Terry Gilliam's talents, and the ultimate dystopia. There are great touches in everything he's done but only BRAZIL is truly great. And that's plenty, cause boy is it ever. Terrifying and fucking hilarious.

- ROYAL TENNENBAUMS. Such an amazing film visually, if nothing else. The fact that the characters wear the same clothes from their childhoods is a brilliant device, cause it's how we all walk around feeling, like grownups stuck in the identities somehow foisted on us in youth. There's not a bad line or piece of acting in it, I don't think. Funny and hugely sad both.

- MAGNOLIA. A moral circus, with so much heart it's almost painful. Again, beautifully written and the ensemble cast is mind-blowing, a who's-who of great contemporary actors (save Tom Cruise, who makes me wretch in everything but this film, where he is perfect).

- MOULIN ROUGE. Over-the-top late 20th century musical. Music is used so manipulatively (is that a word) in films and TV, to say nothing of advertisements, including those for the music itself, aka MTV videos, and my theory is that if this film rubs you the wrong way it's cause you don't want to admit/embrace how saturated in such manipulation we are already. I think it's a huge indulgence, it takes all the schlock and really makes something real of it. Like all good camp, it goes beyond the silliness and really says some new things. The tango version of ROXANNE is a million times more moving than Sting's ever could be, and yet, it makes me glad he wrote the song. That's kind of how this stuff works. I would say the same of VELVET GOLDMINE which I also love.

and from the ridiculous to the sublime...

LA STRADA. I cry from beginning to end. So beautiful and sad.

Some movies I love that you might not have seen, if, like me, you see about 3 films a year:

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD. No one seems to like this long Wim Wenders film but me. It's really like two films in one; the combination is like one of those epic dreams that leaves you in a mental haze all day. WINGS OF DESIRE and PARIS, TEXAS are better films, but UTEOTW is very worthwhile.

I WENT DOWN. Sort of an Irish take on the LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS-type caper.

THE ANNIVERSARY PARTY. One of my fave 'little' films. A great set piece. Impossible not to laugh and cringe, and again, a cast to die for.

AMORES PERROS. I just saw this the other day. You could compare this to PULP FICTION but without the sick humor. Moving and beautifully acted. Particularly gruesome if you have trouble with what Tallulah calls 'animal death,' so be warned...
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

[/quote]this is probably the wrost list i´ve ever seen. though Forrest Gump is a good movie

How can you grade someone else's list when it is based on opinions of favorites. The question was NOT what are the 5 BEST movies of all time. It was What are your 5 FAVORITES. There can me no bad lists in a forum like this.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

And this forum has the most confusing quote set up I have ever seen. I frequent 3 others and never have such problems.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Dunno about ranking, but these are films Ive seen countless times and could watch ad infinitum

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory
Silence of the lambs
Reservoir Dogs
Trains, Planes and Automobiles
The Long Good Friday
Boy With A Problem

Jackson Monk wrote:
The Roaring 20's
With Cagney and Bogart. Nice choice! - you gotta love the down and out Cagney at the end of this rags to riches to rags story. Cagney at his best. I saw this again about a month ago on TCM - great film.