Country singer Carlene Carter jailed

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Country singer Carlene Carter jailed

Post by DrSpooky »

Carlene Carter was taken into custody in Nashville. Here is the link to CNN's version of the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

That story mentions that WTVF (Channel 5) reported that it was because she failed a drug test which would make this a parole violation. Here is the Channel 5 link:

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/new ... p?q=carter

Of course, the EC connection is that she was married to Nick Lowe.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A terrible waste of a great talent. I'm sure everyone wishes her well, still it's up to her to sort herself out.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Yes, it's truly sad. She's had a very rough year, losing her boyfriend (or ex-, I'm not sure which), another ex-, mom and stepdad Johnny too. Getting busted and sued didn't help any.

I met Carlene once, during the Nick days, probably between Musical Shapes and Blue Nun. She was not only talented and lovely, but she seemed like a sweet person too. This downward spiral is truly tragic.

Of course, one can't let an event like this one pass without mentioning that if it were alcohol, a more (or at least equally, depending on your recreational drug of choice) addictive and definitely more lethal drug, she could get blasted to her heart's content, as long as her behaviour was otherwise unobjectionable. And even if one's had a history of alcoholism, DUI or drunk and disorderly offenses, the drinking itself, or alcohol possession, is never considered a crime.

Are we ever gonna grow up and show some consistency?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

HS-- I agree entirely. I don't know the full details of her case but how awful and sad that what she was getting illegally in this case was Zoloft-- an entirely ordinary anti-depressant that has no recreational use (as far as I know).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not surprised.

She already pretty much killed off her ex-boyfriend Howie Epstein (former bassist from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers).

Nick Lowe was lucky to get out when he did.

I want to feel sympathy, but I'm afraid I can't, much beyond the loss of her mother and stepfather, but she had lots of problems even before that.

I mean she and Epstein were arrested a few years ago for having heroin and a loaded gun in their car, or something along those lines. I can't feel sympathy over that.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.