What´s the best british record from the 90´s?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I agree about Flamin Pie....great record.

Other greats of the 80s:

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
squeeze - Play
Graham Parker - Struck by Lightning
Trash Can Sinatras - Cake
Jeff Buckley - Grace
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well then I'd better get a copy of Different Class right away, somehow I never got around to it. Common People is tops. They have amazingly clever song videos, all directed by Jarvis Cocker. I should go look for everything else by Pulp i haven't got... and it's amazing how long they've been around... since around '82, I found out.

Miss BA, your quoting is never ungainly though. And I'm glad you posted -- your opinion is well valued.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jackson Monk wrote:I agree about Flamin Pie....great record.

Other greats of the 80s:

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jeff Buckley is from Orange County, California! That is certainly not British :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

...and it's a 90's thread. Alcohol fueled again?
godgivemestrength

Post by godgivemestrength »

aaarggghhh....going crazy!!

Sorry...never read the thread properly..

Having said that BC....is from Orange County?????

do you know something we don't about Jeff 'Lazarus' Buckley???
"some say that all you need to money to be free from what is poor, well that's the lie of looking up from somewhere down"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jackson,

You really need to quit it with these multiple usernames... having Jackson Monk and Jackson Doofster is one thing, but this Charlie Sedaka, and godgivemestrength business has to stop...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I don't know...the effect that power has on some people... :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bambooneedle wrote:Miss BA, your quoting is never ungainly though. And I'm glad you posted -- your opinion is well valued.
Why, thank you. I also teach lessons in all things Pulp--not to hijack this thread or anything, but in order, here are the CDs one needs:

Different Class
Separations
His 'n' Hers
We Love Life
This Is Hardcore

Even their bad stuff (Freaks, It, Masters of the Universe) is compelling.
gethappier

Beaten to the pulp

Post by gethappier »

miss buenos aires wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:Miss BA, your quoting is never ungainly though. And I'm glad you posted -- your opinion is well valued.
Why, thank you. I also teach lessons in all things Pulp--not to hijack this thread or anything, but in order, here are the CDs one needs:

Different Class
Separations
His 'n' Hers
We Love Life
This Is Hardcore

Even their bad stuff (Freaks, It, Masters of the Universe) is compelling.
My favorite british band of the 90s has got to be Supergrass!.. Just was listening to their second album, 'we're in it for the money'.. totally holds up, such great music!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm a big fan of all the Supergrass stuff. Trivia challenge: What's the EC/Supergrass connection?
gethappier

connection..

Post by gethappier »

pophead2k wrote:I'm a big fan of all the Supergrass stuff. Trivia challenge: What's the EC/Supergrass connection?
The supergrass drummer played on 'the bridge i burned'..
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

We have a winner!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Interesting fact! Danny Goffey, I think, or is that the bassman?

Pulp announced their split recently. Real shame - I failed to see them here at the Cambridge corn Exchange last year. I really should have gone. And they played nearby Thetford Forest on their forests tour! Great band.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair wrote:
noiseradio wrote:Can we name Canadian bands? Queen Elizabeth's on your money... :wink:
Rest assured, a Canadian is not responsible for the best album of the 90's :D
Sloan's Between The Bridges is an incredible album by any standard. Maybe not the album of the 90's , still a timeless classic in my book.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm surprised to hear Sloan mentioned on here. I didn't know they had an audience outside of Canada. They're a decent group, though I always preferred One Chord To Another over their other efforts.

I suppose Neil Young's Harvest Moon and Ragged Glory would be a good 90s albums.[/i]
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

A couple of albums from The Mekons that really deserve mention are I Love Mekons and Retreat From Memphis.

On the Canadian front, I think that Joni Mitchell's Turbulent Indigo is as good as it gets. I also love Fred Eaglesmith's Lipstick, Lies & Gasoline but, considering the anti-country bent that exists on the board, I am probably the lone gunman on that one.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I forgot about Sloan! One Chord to Another is an excellent album. If you like rockin' power pop, Seattle's Young Fresh Fellows album Electric Bird Digest or Low Beat Time are both great. Obviously, they're not British (in keeping with the original thread).
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Teenage Fanclub should be in the running for this. While Bandwagonesque and Grand Prix have been mentioned, I have a particular fondness for Songs from Northern Britain.

No one has mentioned Peter Gabriel in this thread, but I think Us is a 90s masterpiece.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

some that weren't mentioned -

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Brutal Youth
Eugenius - Mary Queen of Scots
Nick Lowe - The Impossible Bird
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Rock Art & The X-Ray Style
Hitsville House Band - 12 O'Clock Stereo
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Here's a question that is, I think, a propos:

How do you feel about English singers who emphasize their accent? I'm a big fan of this (as done by Jarvis Cocker, Morrissey, Damon Albarn), but I have a friend who gets annoyed by it, says it's too precious.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

As a proud fan of one Raymond Douglas Davies, how can I not love the accent?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Welcome back, BWAP. New dateline?? 8)
And congrats and welcome back to El V.

Re MBA's question, do people really exaggerate their accents? I'd say it's more a question of whether they let their speaking accent drive their singing voice, or whether they default to a sort of neutral sung phrasing that determines the length of vowels, etc. I am sorta talking out my ass here cause I have no idea how this works, technically, but it's what I've always assumed, as you can hear accents in some and not in others. When I try to think about American singers its the same way. What do others think??
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Good to see Boy With A Problem back on the board, now implanted in the UK! Lucky bugger!!! :D
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Thanks -

Finally got a broadband connection at the new digs.

Had a few pints with So Lacklustre tonight - great guy.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Miss BA, Thanks for the tips on Pulp. Glad to see that there are a few better than We Love Life and This Is Hardcore... very looking forward to those now. I also have Pulp - Goes To The Disco.

Wasn't aware of the break up, or whether they were active at all or not, but have just checked out their discography and there were a lot of odd compilations towards the end, so it makes some sense. Also just read that Cocker had been involved in different side projects, one called Relaxed Muscle. I videotaped Pulp on a morning music show here in '98, and put it on last night. JC was very tired but still managed to be professional and quite low-key about it all, and humourous. The young hosts were hip about them, so that helped. The Dandy Warhols were also on, but they were so 'cool' that they hardly spoke at all... they looked ridiculous being interviewed. JC seemed light years beyond that.