WHAT?! No WC thread?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

WHAT?! No WC thread?

Post by mood swung »

or is it, let's don't and say we did? 8)

Been very enjoyable to watch, but my bracket's busted already. Spain, Spain, Spain. WTF, dudes?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jack of All Parades

Re: WHAT?! No WC thread?

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Go Orange[Holland]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spain killers 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Go England - we can do it.

What? We're out?

The only consolation is that Spain are already out and either Italy or Uruguay will be joining us.

By the way, the best commentator is @usasoccerguy on Twitter.

Take a swim in Lake Awesome and follow him.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I will do that! Also enjoying The Shinguadian. And Costa Rica!! Team dancing is my fave.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

So far could be the best World Cup tournament ever.
Some brilliant games like Germany-Ghana or yesterday's USA vs Portugal (have no idea why the ref added 5 minutes).
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

I can't believe USA let me down in the Portugal game. I've no idea why the ref added 5 minutes either. Perhaps a USA win wouldn't have helped Sepp Blatter.

There was a monumental bit of skill from Ronaldo which will be shown ad nauseum. It doesn't alter the fact that he is a self-serving self-centred it's probably best that I stop there :lol: :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think the word you're looking for is 'tool', but I'm not sure it translates into Englishter. :D

I had a bad feeling about the game, because EVERYBODY on TV was talking about it. Trust me, this doesn't happen often with soccer in America. I have seen two different tv shows do contests to see who could 'goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool' the longest. So imagine how delighted I was to see Mostest knock that 2nd one in. And how crushed I was when that tool sent that beautiful ball over to that other tool-who-is-just-a-tool-by-association. And then I read on the interwebs today that CR7 says they aren't very good and they won't win the world cup.

well, no shit, sherlock.

USA have done acres better than I thought they would. And I'll wave some flags for them, even if they left our best player at home. (that ought to draw out who shot sam?!) But I'm saying Argentina takes it all.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

have no idea how to handle tomorrow's game. I can pay attention on the interwebs and know the result without seeing the game....

OR, I can put my head down and pay no attention and watch the recorded game when I get home. that is what I hope happens.

I know I won't be that strong. :shock:
Jack of All Parades

Fully upon the 'orange'bandwagon- the house of my brother in law up the street is festooned with banners of that gaudy color and we are still celebrating after yesterday even if that was one oscar caliber 'flop' :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

England got knocked out too quickly for one to get started. :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

One important point - doesn't the Belgian keeper, Thibaut Courtois, look like a young Nick Lowe?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I didn't see enough of him to say, sadly, FKing. Do you mind if I call you Fking? 8) nice to see you.

what a long strange trip it's been. I thought US would be handed their asses 1st game, so it was a lovely shock to see them get out of group. Totally dominated by above mentioned team until extra time, when I thought things were falling our way and if we'd had 5 more minutes... I'm still holding out for Argentina. This be Messi's year.
Jack of All Parades

Okay my Dutch family down the street are celebrating but mutely as even they agree it was a 'cheap' way to advance but advance they have and now on to the final four. It will be sweet to see them eliminate Spain, Argentina and ultimately Germany- vanquishing the exact three who knocked them out of the the championship in past World Cups- sweet indeed. 8) My block will be awash in 'Orange'.
Jack of All Parades

The 'Orange' banners are not flying as high today following yesterday's results-I note that we made it into the semi-final match by way of 'penalty' kicks and we exited the semi-final match on the other side of said 'penalty' kicks- what is that cliche 'he who lives by the sword, dies by.........' :(
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

why can't it last for 2 months??
verbal gymnastics

Mrs VG said it felt like it lasted forever :lol:

I'm glad Germany beat Argentina. They were deserving winners.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for Lionel Messi though. Not only for the embarrassment of winning the player of the tournament :shock: but having just lost the biggest football game on the planet he then had to go and collect the trophy. Sepp Blatter probably made the decision Messi was going to win it before the tournament so he could have arranged a more suitable time.

Apologies if this appears to imply that FIFA has an element of corruption from the very top.

FIFA has helped the game

(Who said "make Blatter and his friends very very rich"?)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

He certainly did look uncomfortable accepting the award - and big ups to Mascherano too. I was pulling for Argentina. I just can't get behind Germany, even if they have the cutest midfield ever. :lol: I was slightly relieved that they won, because #1 son was en route to Brazil and supposedly there would be riots if Argentina pulled it off. However, since my son was not in the company of my grandson, I figured he could tough it out if he had to. :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Macherano is one of only a few men on the planet that makes me look physically attractive :lol:
WalterGiffen

Post by WalterGiffen »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Mrs VG said it felt like it lasted forever :lol:

I'm glad Germany beat Argentina. They were deserving winners.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for Lionel Messi though. Not only for the embarrassment of winning the player of the tournament :shock: but having just lost the biggest football game on the planet he then had to go and collect the trophy. Sepp Blatter probably made the decision Messi was going to win it before the tournament so he could have arranged a more suitable time.

Apologies if this appears to imply that FIFA has an element of corruption from the very top.

FIFA has helped the game

(Who said "make Blatter and his friends very very rich"?)

Fifa has a lot of issue of corruption. we can make many examples. but after all of these the Fifa is the body who has guided the world football into this stage today. we love football not fifa, we enjoy football not fifa. and regarding the capacity and skill of Messi, we should not make any offence.