hyPOTcrisy

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
A rope leash

hyPOTcrisy

Post by A rope leash »

Right now a good friend of mine sits down at the county jail. She’s a mother of three, a hard worker who kept long hours at two jobs. I say “keptâ€
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

.....I dunno, it's a lot different when you have to deal with your mother being high as a kite on a regular basis. It's embarrassing. Mind you, I'm also anti-alcohol for many of the same reasons. But free will, whatever. If you want to smoke it, smoke it. It should be legal if alcohol is legal. I guess my personal experience has just turned me off of the whole idea. Not trying to argue, but I've seen people who aren't too responsible about it and it's touched my life in an unpleasant way. When you have kids and such, it selfish to me. Didn't mean to write a novel here (or even post), but issues of drugs and alcohol are a touchy subject with me. Um, in conclusion, I agree with you that it should be legal but personally, I have (not really moral, just there) convictions against it, as I do with all drugs (including alcohol and cigarettes). Mind you, this is all purely opinion and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or be argumentative, I just felt a compulsion to post (vent?). A lot of people I know get really defensive, so just know that I'm not trying to preach or be an arsehole. All of my thoughts on the matter are based purely on the experiences with people I've had, the majority of which are what I deem irresposible with their habits. I'll assume that everyone is familiar with the EC song Pony St., and now you all know why it's a part of my sig that I refuse to change, and why it's a song that really touches me. That being said, I hope everything goes well with your girlfriend.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
A rope leash

weekend witch trials

Post by A rope leash »

Strict, your mother is high all the time because she is addicted. She stays addicted because a decent supply of the product is nearly always available. It's not an awful addiction, but you should consider this before worrying about your own "embarassment". What if she was in the same situation my gal is? Would you be angry with her, or with the system?

I spend nearly forty bucks a month on coffee. Sure, I like it, but the real reason I keep buying the good stuff is that I am addicted to caffiene. Maxwell House just doesn't cut it anymore...I got to have Starbucks or such. I would drop the habit, but it's a sure headache. Dropping the pot habit means grumpiness and bad dreams, so perhaps your mother is doing you a favor in a way. You should thank your lucky stars she's not an alcoholic.

I don't expect a youngster like yourself to understand addiction. Marijuana addicition is pretty lightweight. As for my gal's kids and children in general, we don't smoke in front of them, and they probably would have never known we got high if she had not been caught up in this bust. I don't recommend drugs to anyone, and we have told the kids we know to never even start. But, the thing is, as long as it is illegal it will be available to kids, because the same person that sells it bigtime probably sells other substances as well, and doesn't care who gets the product. If it were legal and regulated, it would be easier to keep it from kids, much the same as alchohol and cigarettes. Stiff penalties could be doled out for those that provide to minors as a deterrent. As it is now, the market, however black, is wide open, because the police are virtually powerless to stop the flow of product.

They say that if you get involved with drugs for very long, you will eventually get busted. I've been busted for possession, and it was quite expensive. All they really wanted was to drain my bank account. They don't care if I smoke it, really...they hope I do because it keeps them in jelly donuts and support hose. When it happens to your mom, I hope you are supportive and not judgmental. This issue is a matter of fairness. Other addictions that are proven to be more harmful than pot are legal and advertised. Where's the justice?

Chosing the clean life is commendable, but it isn't for everybody. Most of the straight people I know are closed-minded assholes, and that's putting it gently. They are full of hate, many of them...some of these are the same beer-drinking folks that would have beaten my brother if they had known he was gay, and who think that bombing brown people is what America should be all about. They think that everyone in jail deserves to be there, and that the police are always right. In other words, they are brainwashed idiots, unable to even visualize the outside of the box. They are much more dangerous than myself or your mother will ever be.

Many great people have smoked pot...Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Abraham Lincoln. The demand for it is gargantuan, because people need an escape from reality, some more than others. It's why people drink booze, it's why they ask their doctor about Paxil. I can't expect the young to understand this, but I do ask you to consider this before you condemn your mother for "embarassing" you. She could quit if she really wanted to or had to, much easier than if it were cigarettes or alcohol or cocaine, so count yourself lucky.

"The hopes and dreams of men are powered by addiction, and who am I to say that this is an affliction?" - Graham Parker (herion addict) Success

Okay...one or two more things...the youth of today are completely impotent...lame even. They are totally controlled and guided by the corporate machine that has made them. They march off to war blindly, and stare placidly as those that speak out are tasered. They are completely incapable of outrage or shock, because they have grown up on a steady diet of sex, violence, and decadence. Nearly all of the real opposition to the corporate forever wars is coming from people even older than me. All these younger ones don't know any better...they think the government is always correct and that it is the exact same entity as their "country". I dont' blame them directly, because they are the product of an intense system of indoctrination and mind control, but this is essentially why our country is in the mess it is in now. Back in the Sixties, we stopped the Vietnam war by getting out there and shutting down the system. Today, the youth are the system, and to me, that's pretty scary, because this system has no future. Think about that. We are being led down the road to ruin, and the vast majority of youth are more interested in X-Box. They don't care or even know that their once great land is now an international pariah, or that the corporation's that raised them are now leaving them for more profitable shores, and sticking them with a bill they will never be able to pay off and a future that is weak at best. It's fine with them, so long as mom doesn't embarass them by being stoned.

Pathetic. I didn't post this essay for no reason. Like many of my posts, it's bait.

Don't fuck with the dog.

http://www.norml.org
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I don't know why exactly I'm feeling compelled to continue this, but...
Would you be angry with her, or with the system?
Neither. My mother knowingly broke the law, as dumb as it may be, and she'll pay the consequences. I understand your anger, but we're two different creatures with two different views, and therefore, two different reactions. And yes, I know 'How do you know if it's never happened?' Well, I don't. This is pure conjecture.
Dropping the pot habit means grumpiness and bad dreams, so perhaps your mother is doing you a favor in a way. You should thank your lucky stars she's not an alcoholic
You assumed that my mother isn't an alcoholic. Turns out, she is.
She's pissy and grumpy and moany anyway. I mean, it can't get too much worse.
But, the thing is, as long as it is illegal it will be available to kids, because the same person that sells it bigtime probably sells other substances as well, and doesn't care who gets the product. If it were legal and regulated, it would be easier to keep it from kids, much the same as alchohol and cigarettes.
You do realize that I agreed with you that it should be legal? For this exact reason, too.
Other addictions that are proven to be more harmful than pot are legal and advertised. Where's the justice?
Like alcohol. I agree with you here, never indicated I didn't.
Most of the straight people I know are closed-minded assholes, and that's putting it gently. They are full of hate, many of them...some of these are the same beer-drinking folks that would have beaten my brother if they had known he was gay, and who think that bombing brown people is what America should be all about. They think that everyone in jail deserves to be there, and that the police are always right. In other words, they are brainwashed idiots, unable to even visualize the outside of the box. They are much more dangerous than myself or your mother will ever be.
I'm sure they are. Straight people can be self-righteous assholes, I know. Just so happens I don't hate gay people, or people of any color. I don't think that everyone in jail deserves to be there. Kevorkian shouldn't have been imprisoned, if you ask me (even though he's out now), but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
She could quit if she really wanted to or had to, much easier than if it were cigarettes or alcohol or cocaine, so count yourself lucky.
Again, my mother is a smoker and alcoholic. Thank god she's not a cocaine user.
Okay...one or two more things...the youth of today are completely impotent...lame even. They are totally controlled and guided by the corporate machine that has made them. They march off to war blindly, and stare placidly as those that speak out are tasered.
There's nothing I could say to you that would disabuse you of the notion that I am not one of these. I don't see what it has to do with pot, though. I mean, it's pretty mainstream. Those who smoke it aren't swimming against the stream anymore. Hell, we had a security guard who sold it to the kids. Smart businessman, until he got caught.
We are being led down the road to ruin, and the vast majority of youth are more interested in X-Box. They don't care or even know that their once great land is now an international pariah, or that the corporation's that raised them are now leaving them for more profitable shores, and sticking them with a bill they will never be able to pay off and a future that is weak at best. It's fine with them, so long as mom doesn't embarass them by being stoned.
It's possible to care about all of these things. My embarrassment about my family is just the issue here, not everything else that is fucked up with the world. Like I said above, there is no way that I can prove to you that I'm not an X-box zombie that passes for human nowadays.

And yes, I understand that many of your posts are bait, I've read through quite a bit of them and I'm usually pretty impressed by your arguments. This bait just got me because it's something that I grew up around. That said, I did not mean to 'fuck' with you or anything of the sort. If I came off that way, I apologize. I just meant to express a personal view. I probably won't answer again, because I feel as though you'll tear me to shreds, seeing as you're much older than me, with more life experience, and probably a bigger intellect. All of that being said, I hope that your girlfriend works everything out ok. It's not really that serious of an offense. I don't find it to be a mortal sin to toke up now and then. I just have had bad personal experience. I'm sure if I'd have had good experience, I'd feel differently. Also, the issue is very tied up with alcoholism in my mind, and I'll admit that I find it a little difficult to separate the two. I mean, I blame alcohol, marijuana, and cigarettes for my parents' inability to buy me things I need. I've needed jeans and socks for a couple of months now, but there's 'never any money.' Somehow, though, there's always pot and whiskey money. They also forbid me from getting a job, so there goes that avenue. Again, I didn't mean any disrespect, and you'll probably call me a wimp or whatever word you care to use, but I really didn't come here to argue. Concluded, I'll concede that my post was probably more about alcohol than pot; however, they are tied together in my mind. I will also not entertain you any further, because like I said, you'll most likely tear me apart, and you can't change someone's beliefs. Two people with strongly held convictions might as well save themselves the effort because they'll never change each other's minds.
With all respect,
~Cat
A rope leash

I grieve alone.

Post by A rope leash »

Yeah, I snapped. You shouldn't take it personally. I'm sure you can smell the shit.

It doesn't matter what you think. I was going to pick apart anyone that said anything, even kind things. I'm in a pretty low spot and sort of angry, and on top of that I am mightily worried.

I know what it is to have an indifferent parents. Your mother's actions with the pot and the booze are not simply self-medication. To deny you clothing over their substance needs is very indictative of a strong addiction. I must apologize, I did not understand that you were quite so young.

Yes, young, but quite impressive...and smart. My ex has a teenager that has lived with her mother's alcoholism for all of her life, for much longer than I ever could have. Users become co-dependent, it's a fact of life. A horrible thing it is for their kids, but by example they do seem to learn. Hopefully, they take the correct lesson.

The crux of the issue is availabilty. No one would be high if they couldn't get any. Some say farming started when beer was invented. They needed hops. When there is a serious market for anything, the law cannot really stop it...it takes force and intervention on a grand scale, which is not happening on the interdiction side of drug law enforcement. It's on the street and somebody's buying it..it's too late the drug war is lost crazy bastards you can't pen us all.

Sorry I caused such a reaction in you, Strict. It was a completely unnecessary hurt for you, even though I must say it was a rather good cleansing for me. I'm a lonely, disgusting old hermit that's lucky to even have a girlfriend to worry about being in jail. I come to websites like this one to pick on people and bitch about things I have no power over. It's just what I do, I guess...cathartic for me, upsetting for others. I apologize that you got your butt bit. I didn't really mean it.

Steal money from them when they are passed out. You need clothes. Morality in this case is relative.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Thanks. Sometimes I just get a little riled up, and I needed to vent anyway. This isn't something I usually share with people in real life. I said I wasn't going to reply, but I thought that you were going to tear me a new one again. Funny thing is, both my parents drink way too much and both are under the delusion that's it's the other one with a problem. As for stealing money, well, there isn't any to steal. If there was, though, I'd have done it twenty times over. Whenever there is money I feel like they owe me, and have no qualms about asking for it. For now I've got my sewing machine, and hand-me downs from friends. (And I'm not usually on quite so much, but last post was actually in the midst of Biology homework). So I'm glad that I'm not on bad terms with you, you seem an intelligent guy, and those are few and far between anymore, and I hope that everything works out well with your gal, I'm sure that it will. These things most usually do.
A rope leash

Dogs chase rabbits...but not all will eat them...

Post by A rope leash »

It sounds like your folks are in denial about their addiction. They are having too much "fun" to stop, or to see it as a problem. The sad truth in these cases is that it often takes a crises to get them to understand, and even then they may not see any reason to get clean.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It only gets worse, and the only "cure" is to stop the flow, which is nearly impossible in this country. My ex was down at the 7-11 at 6am every morning. Withdrawal from alchohol is a serious medical issue, and one must understand this when dealing with a drunk that keeps going back to the bottle. They are in pain, and it isn't just the mind.

Dealing with addicts by throwing them in jail is a primitive and immoral curse on a society. Addiction is a public health problem, not a crime. Addicts need treatment, not punishment.

I wouldn't trade places with you for all the bud in Bogata. You realize that you can force this issue by simply telling the right person about your situation...most communities do not allow children to stay with drunkards, and while I understand that you do not want to break up your family, you might want to shake it up some. As it is with me, what seems like an awful action is actually done out of love and concern. This way may turn out better than the DUI or accident that might well already be in their future. In any case, you have to be angry at the addiction and the system that allows it, and not the person caught up in it.

Luck to you.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

My parents are still totally functioning and everything. I'm just having a little trouble adjusting because it's only a couple of months ago that I either realised this, or perhaps that was when it actually crossed over into alcoholism. But they're still early stage, as it is. I figure that they won't cross off into non-functioning land until my youngest brother is out of the house. If not, well then I'll take it from there. Because I hate to be a drama queen, let it be said: 1. My parents function. 2. It could be much much worse. 3. They love us kids very much and try to do their best by us.
I just really hate it if people think that wrong things about my family, even though y'all aren't judgemental people, from what I can tell. I'm not some street child or anything, and I over-dramatise a bit when I get into a snit. That being said, it's still a big big issue in my life, but not Lifetime size, if you dig. (I doubt anyone really cares, just wanted to set it all in order for anyone who does.)
A rope leash

Kid Costello

Post by A rope leash »

I must say that I'm quite impressed, Strict. You really seem to have a good head on your shoulders...it's difficult to believe you are so young. Maybe I should take back what I said about your generation...perhaps you guys are not so lame after all...of course, you may be the exception that proves the rule.

Hang in there, but remember...my gal was "functioning" well when she was trapped. There are millions of functioning addicts that wind up in trouble with the law simply for having the bad luck of encountering a cop. There is really zero shame in it, no matter what the media would like us to believe. People have attempted to escape reality since the dawn of time, and nothing will ever stop it completely.

As you said, this will pass, but it is very hard to be strong. My anger and resentment continues to boil, cooking my hope until it's as tepid and flavorless as last night's frozen chicken nugget dinner. You know, we are inspired at times like these to "get out there and do something about it", but frankly, the problems with this society seem to be totally overwhelming.

I can't grin and bear it, I just have to bear it. I just wish...I just wish...I just wish we could all just stop and say ENOUGH! When will war end? When will oppression end? When will the hypocrisy STOP?! It never will, until we join together and demand it...until we throw down our tools and say NO MORE...until we put away our personal desires and begin to quest for the good of ALL.

Maybe tomorrow...

rope rope the misanthrope
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The medicinal benefits of marijuana are, frankly, incredible and multidimensional. Far more than treatment for cachexia and loss of appetite, the herb has potent analgesic properties. I can take two Vicodin Extra Strength tablets (equivalent to three regular vicodin) and work for twelve hours as a professional without anyone knowing or suspecting that I am jack full of hydrocodone. It is a paradoxical stimulant for me, and when I need to drive long distances in the night I can take two Vicodin ES and I am fine.

Problem is, my hip joints, deranged from deep lymph node dissections and in chronic pain, still hurt. Sure,it takes the edge off, but I still hurt. And as the addictive properties? (Remember, I am a recovering alcoholic). I can stop taking the Vicodin ad lib and for extended periods and never miss it.

Here's the rub. If I take marijuana for the hip pain it resolves it. I can relax and enjoy time with my family (who have no idea that I occasionally partake to alleviate pain) and laugh. However, I do not like to drive when I have marijuana in my system. I don't feel safe.

My favorite account of the infrastructure devoted to marijuana abuse was when the drug Czar of the first term bush admin was on Dennis Miller Live. I was in the LA studio audience and the guest that night was Asa Hutchison. The first three rows of seats were all reserved for the DEA Lawyers in Love...mostly guys and some girls in smart business suits, all with briefcases, and all there as part part of this guys entourage. Incredible. About 40 people. And the drug that these guys spend 90% of taxpayer dollars fighting? Pot. Not Crack. Not Cocaine. Not X. Not Heroin. Incredible. Just watch the public service announcements on TV at night and see how much attention is aimed at pot versus the real killers like crystal meth.

Lot's of taxpayer money for a drug with real medicinal benefits and with little association with crime, unlike alcohol and others.

I am not an evangelist for pot. I am deadly against its use by children as I think the developing brain is particularly susceptable to the lethargy and apathy that the drug can produce. But for periodic medical and pain management? The fact that it is criminalized has NOTHING to do with it being hurtful. It has everything to do with its ability to cut ino the huge profits of the pharmaceutical cartel,who educate the doctors, who speak out against the dangers of pot (while they suck it in) so that they do not lose the motherlode of free cash benefits from the drug companies.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll chime in from a different perspective. The fact that the production of hemp in this country is illegal is absolutley ridiculous. People have teased Woody Harrelson for his various stands on this issue in the past, but in my opinion, he's right. Hemp is an easy to grow, renewable resource that could bail out loads of tobacco farmers and others who are suffering under the changes of agricultural economy. Hemp has dozens of uses and is less harsh on the soil than many traditional US crops. The sole reason it is illegal to grow: the challenge it poses to the petrochemical and cotton producers in this country. Hemp could be a new sustainable cash crop in this country, regardless of the marijuana laws.
A rope leash

Burn one

Post by A rope leash »

Mr. Av...do you get your med pot legally? Has your doctor prescribed it?

I've driven literally hundreds of thousands of miles under the influence, with no major incidents. There's a club in Canada that promotes the idea that stoned driving is actually safer than straight driving. I believe it...I'm much too fast without the buzz.

Pop, there's no reason why we can't have hemp clothes and fuel. It is simply a matter of greed among the elite. The idea of using corn as fuel is completely wrong...the price of corn has gone up, and with it the price of tortillas in Mexico, leading to even more hardship among the poor. Some analysts say that we cannot make fuel out of our corn without starving the rest of the world. Think about that...how much pain can our American excess create?

It's limitless, I presume...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I don't dare answer because you have been outted as a government agent lurking among us to bust those promoting this reefer madness.

"Uh, yeah, legal..that's it! I get it LEGALLY, yeah, thats the TICKET!"

The medical marijuana clinics peppering southern california are being raided and closed as fast as I type this. The State has overwhelmingly voted in favor, but the feds disregard the voice of the people in the state (well, it IS California, and there are a lot of fruits and nuts here).

Unfortunately, the medical marijuana clinics have been seriously abusing the priviledge, and prescribing it for everything from an occasional headache to depression to pain. Even sexual performance issues. So, I suppose I can see why the fed is cracking down a little. When the legislators in CA framed the law, they had a different intention, but the allure of cash for the clinics overwhelmed their hazy sensibilities, I suppose, and they started giving it out, with legal protection, like Pez.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
A rope leash

Doc, it hurts when I do this...hit..hit...ow!

Post by A rope leash »

I wonder if I could get some pot for my marijuana addiction...?!