Elvis added to Prince tribute show, NY March 7th '13

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis added to Prince tribute show, NY March 7th '13

Post by docinwestchester »

The imposter wrote:I was wondering if Elvis' obscure choice of track was really the choice of a dedicated fan plundering his huge bootleg collections of Prince or really a back handed compliment relating to Elvis' obvious sadness and disappointment that Prince refused to allow a sample of his lyrics to be used on one of "The Bridge I Burned" mixes.

Choosing a song an artist hasn't even released at a tribute concert plus giving it a title different to the known bootleg, to me appears a little bizarre and also controversial.

It was certainly the most unexpected thing I can remember from him since his Live Aid appearance in 85.

Then again he has been playing a medley featuring "Purple Rain" regularly fairly recently, so maybe it's nothing. Anybody else surprised by that song choice ?
Interesting question. I think this explains it pretty well:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2NjxGLVbr

At least some of those curves had to have come from Questlove, the Roots' drummer and musical director for the show. The Roots provided unwavering support for most of the acts, accompanied on guitar by Wendy Melvoin of the Revolution, the band that backed Prince on Purple Rain. In many cases the performers took chances on well-known songs. Or not-so-well-known, as was the case with Costello, who near the end sang an unreleased Prince song called "Moonbeam Levels" (known to many bootleg collectors as "A Better Place to Die"). Which of these two ultra-music-geeks onstage decided on that one – Costello, the man who once wrote a listener's guide to a 24-hour cycle, or Questlove, with his complete collection of Soul Train episodes? Either way, the song scored big, as did much of the night.

Here's another reference:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... llo-bettye

And noted crate-digger Elvis Costello performed the most obscure song of the night (probably the result of a deep-cut geekout with Questlove), the unreleased mid-'80s song "Moonbeam Levels," which is usually called "A Better Place 2 Die" on bootlegs.

Clearly both EC and Q share a love of music history and obscurities. They were in this together.

Here's someone trying to reconcile what happened in 1997 with 2013:

http://www.rocknycliveandrecorded.com/2 ... tchet.html

Back in the day Prince recorded a (great) song called "Pop Life" and planted it on his Around The World album and it was a hit single swipe at all things pop from back when Prince could do it in his sleep. I am among those who believes Prince us slipping and Costello has slipped, but I also believe in second acts and…

Around 1997, Costello asked Prince to allow him to cover "Pop Life" for his Greatest Hits compilation culled off his Warner brothers years. Debatable true, but who are we to judge. Prince, being the dick he is, refused, and Costello replied with "The Bridge I Burned" using the same chords and the payoff line "You mutter underneath your breath – it echoes round the world".

And then all was silence for year after year, the two egomaniacs miles away from each other never to walk back across that burning bridge until… WHAT HAPPENED?

Yes, we had heard that Costello was recording an album with the Roots and the Roots would be the house band for the Carnegie Hall Prince tribute: all well and good. But the leap from that to Costello covering a Prince song at a tribute is huge, it is mammoth, it rocks the world!!!

So I ask again, how did it happen. Is Costello just being a good guy or have the pair decided to keep the peace. My bet is Costello just decided to drop it out of friendship for ?uestlove.

And now the next question is… WHAT WILL COSTELLO SING???? He wouldn't go there, would he? I can't believe he would do it but man will that make for an interesting side plot pn what feels like too much funk and not enough pop type of evening.One thing for sure, it should give us a glimpse into the psyche of Costello 2013!!
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Eric Leeds, who works with Prince, has this on a fundraising page for a solo project -

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/fde ... ates/25015

This shot was taken at the Carnegie Hall show in March ’13. We had a blast!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

RIP Prince!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xya1e ... 3-13_music

Elvis Costello - Moonbeam Levels (6.3.13 )
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I've always viewed "Georgie and Her Rival" as Costello's take on Prince's "I Could Never Take the Place Of Your Man".

I'm probably entirely mistaken.
Nonetheless -- both are tremendous, under-rated pop songs.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Dr. Luther wrote:I've always viewed "Georgie and Her Rival" as Costello's take on Prince's "I Could Never Take the Place Of Your Man".

I'm probably entirely mistaken.
Nonetheless -- both are tremendous, under-rated pop songs.
Interesting analogy.I know Elvis is fond of that particular Prince song. I agree that Georgie is a great under rated song from Elvis too. They have a similar story and a similar tempo. Good break up songs, just like "That's not the part of him you're leavin"
docinwestchester

krm

Post by krm »

The photos in this clip are fantastic. Thanks
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

krm wrote:The photos in this clip are fantastic. Thanks
That's the work of the very underrated photographer extraordinaire, brotherapostle. You can view them all from that night at the wiki for the date 10/24/1986. We must get more of his incredible photos from many EC shows uploaded. Thanks krm...I'll let him know you love them.
docinwestchester

Finally got my video back on YouTube, thanks to FAVEHOUR:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... j=76202771

Oct 21, 2016

Record label Warner Bros. Records has announced the first releases of new Prince music since his death last spring, including the first music from his vault of unreleased material.

Billboard reports on the plans by Warner, at least some of which were already in the works before Prince's death. First up is a new greatest-hits compliation, "Prince 4Ever," that will feature his well-known hits, as well as "Moonbeam Levels," a 1982 song that's been played live, and was covered by Elvis Costello during a 2013 Prince tribute show, but never officially released.

Next year, Warner will release a long-promised remastered "Purple Rain" album, including a second album of unreleased material.

Advisers to Prince's estate are working to license more of Prince's catalog, including previously unreleased music.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis discusses his performance at this show as part of his chat with Gregory Porter on "The Hang with Gregory Porter" podcast (January 2021). Discussion starts 59 minutes in (or so)

Elvis credits Questlove with choosing that he (Elvis) should sing "Moonbeam Levels". He says - "Questlove, typically, had picked the rarest song in the whole catalogue for me to sing. I had to learn this song, never ever heard it before. Had to sing it at Carnegie Hall".

He also tells the story of going on to Birdland with Diana and Monty Alexander after the Prince Tribute show to see Cedar Walton.

MOOT