Friends of Jesse Winchester, San Francisco, Oct. 5, 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Friends of Jesse Winchester, San Francisco, Oct. 5, 2012

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis appeared at three shows in San Francisco and Mill Valley last night, including a solo set at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and an appearance with Bill Kirchen (and others?) at the Village Music All-Stars concert at Sweetwater.

Here's a thread for the other appearance.

There had been some speculation that EC would be a surprise guest at what was originally supposed to be a Nick Lowe/Jesse Winchester show at the Great American Music Hall. As it turned out, Jesse Winchester canceled due to illness, and the billing was adjusted to "Nick Lowe / super friends of Jesse Winchester."

EC and Buddy Miller were among the "friends." The caption on this pic says they played "Black Dog."

Azmuda

Re: Friends of Jesse Winchester, San Francisco, Oct. 5, 2012

Post by Azmuda »

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Elvis played Black Dog with Buddy Miller! And he claimed not to even know the song or that it was old Led Zep number when he saw Buddy play it with Plant and Krauss a few years back. This I would love to hear...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

unfortunately, it did not air...but for the SPECTACLE Jesse Winchester taping, ELVIS opened the night singing it to us from above in one of the balconies at the Apollo.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

unfortunately, it did not air...but for the SPECTACLE Jesse Winchester taping, ELVIS opened the night singing it to us from above in one of the balconies at the Apollo.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

He played it solo on the radio in Nov. 2009....Leonard Lopate show in NY. Check the Wiki

Dave
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:He played it solo on the radio in Nov. 2009....Leonard Lopate show in NY. Check the Wiki

Dave

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/2009/n ... -costello/

Poison Moon at 9:08
Black Dog at 20:05
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Blimey I never knew, what an unlikely seeming cover.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks for the reminder of the Leonard Lopate show. I'll always associate that appearance with a comment the late Charlie Gillett made about it. I linked the show on Charlie's forum, mentioning that Elvis had spoken about Charlie etc. Elvis is, as you may hear, using one of the more plummy English accents that he occasionally affects. Charlie appreciated the mention but made a joke, saying something like 'When did Elvis start talking like Cliff Richard?'.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

An extract from an article by Robert Sproul, published in No Depression (The Journal of Roots Music) on October 11, 2012:

" Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2012: A First Class Tribute To Fading and Fallen Legends

When my wife and I arrived at the Great American Music Hall Friday night on October 5th, I should have read more into the marquee. It read “Nick Lowe + The Super Friends of Jesse Winchester.” The line waiting to get in for the show was buzzing about Jesse’s illness and the fact he was being replaced by Elvis Costello, Buddy Miller and other legends who were appearing at Hardly Strictly over the weekend. While waiting in line two paramedics vans and a fire engine came racing up with lights flashing and sirens blazing. A guy about my age was laying on the sidewalk while paramedics tried to get his heart jump started again. Turns out that the unfortunate concert attendee was a Gary Tashman, age 69, who to those who knew him was ” a great music fan who had grown up in Baltimore sneaking into African American nightclubs” That could have described my venture into roots music in the Bay Area.

The show at the Great American Music Hall was up to its usual standards. Part of going to Hardly Strictly, much like the Jazz and Heritage Festival, is taking in what’s going on at night around town. Usually there is an benefit for the Richard De Lone Special Housing Project the Friday night before and customarily it involves Elvis Costello in some way. The association dates back to the 70s when Austin De Lone moved from England to Mill Valley and started a band called Clover that wound up backing Elvis Costello on his debut Nick Lowe produced album, “My Aim is True.” This year I could only find the Nick Lowe concert which was not the usual fundraiser so I thought to myself this must be the big all star show and bought my tickets. Earlier in the week I had been contacted by a prominent public relations person to take a tour of a new venue called Preservation Hall West at the Chapel. It turns out that the Chapel was where all the action was this year including the Austin Richard De Lone benefit for those with Prader-Willi Syndrom.

I’ve blogged about Hardly Strictly for the past three years thanks to No Depression. This year rather than just focus on the groups that I’m really interested in or who I’ve covered in the past, I wanted to give No Depression readers a feel for what goes on during Hardly Strictly Bluegrass weekend each year around the City and take in some a few groups who are not on my radar. The super friends of Jesse Winchester turned out to be a stellar lineup. Kieran Kane on guitar and banjo and his son on a single bass drum opened with two outstanding songs followed by Buddy Miller, Elvis Costello and Jerry Douglas. I had no idea that Jesse Winchester had written “A Showman’s Life” and Buddy delivered his version like he was channeling Solomon Burke. Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson played a few songs in between Kieran and the final trio. I’m a huge Guy Clark fan and was surprised to see how much he had aged since last year. Clark mentioned that he was “probably sicker than Jesse” and started to cough. I took in a few Guy and Verlon songs at HSB the next day and watched as Guy ambled towards the stage on a cane. Guy Clark could sing the phone book and it would move most listeners and if anything, like a good whiskey, his voice sounded just right for the songs.

Nick Lowe came out and announced that he was going to sing a set of songs spanning his career. Nick Lowe solo is something to see. I noticed that he uses different settings on his microphone depending on the modulation he wants from his voice. He opened with “Stoplight Roses” which sounded like a great Nick Lowe song…better than I imagined from the CD. Throughout the night he touched on his new CD singing “House for Sale”, “Checkout Time” and “Sensitive Man.” I would guesstimate that the mean age of the audience was in the 50’s but it was a fairly rowdy 50’s yelling out “brilliant”, “remarkable” and “you’re too cool” throughout the evening. Lowe has evolved over the years into a soulful British version of Frank Sinatra, a crooner who sings songs about betrayal, heartbreak and revenge, many of his selections sung with a tongue in cheek delivery. I’ve seen Lowe solo many times and for some reason this time he seemed more animated and enunciated words more sarcastically than originally recorded. He did mesmerizing versions of “What’s Shaking on the Hill” “Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding, and “I Live on a Battlefield.” His first encore was ” When I Write the Book” which he introduced as an old Rockpile song and his second and final encore was “Alison” in a nod to his friend and collaborator Elvis Costello. I don’ t think too many people were complaining at the end of the evening although many were concerned about Winchester’s health."

MOOT