Elvis on Diana's new album "Glad Rag Doll"

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis on Diana's new album "Glad Rag Doll"

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis plays and sings harmony vocals on Diana's new album: http://www.dianakrall.com/news_d.aspx?nid=2455

Diana Announces New Album 'Glad Rag Doll' available September 25th!

Diana Krall's extraordinary new album, 'Glad Rag Doll' (9/25, Verve Records) is an exhilarating and adventurous exploration of new sounds, new instrumentation and new musicians. It stars a singer and piano player, filled with mischief, humour and a renewed sense of tenderness and intimacy.

The record reveals itself at that remarkable vanishing point in time where all music; swinging, rocking and taboo, collide with songs of longing, solace and regret. All are made new again in a vaudeville of Krall's own imagining.

It is at once a major departure and a natural progression for the gifted musician. Diana simply calls the album, "a song and dance record".

"We all just went in there as if the songs were written yesterday. I didn't want to make a period piece or nostalgia record," said Krall.

In fact, these are songs that Krall has spent a lifetime contemplating. Both her childhood home and her current address are stacked with 78rpm records and song folios filled with precious and unpolished gems, songs that have not worn out their lustre from repetition.

If any of these songs could be identified as "20's or 30's music", then they are 20's or 30's songs as imagined for the 21st Century.

The same could be said for a startling rendition of the Pomus classic, "Lonely Avenue", first cut in the 1950s.

The contemplative, contemporary reading of the old Gene Austin recording of "Let It Rain" finds a sympathetic echo in Krall's exquisite rendition of Buddy and Julie Miller's more recent ballad of spiritual longing, "Wide River To Cross".

Working for the first time with renowned producer T Bone Burnett and engineer Mike Piersante, Krall revels in a fresh sonic playground captured in the vivid grain and deep resonant focus of analog tape. Burnett has assembled a distinguished cast of remarkable men to complement Krall's piano contribution at an 1890s Steinway upright.

From the hushed to the howling, Marc Ribot's poised and sympathetic solo guitar accompaniment on the title track contrasts beautifully with a range of surprising sounds and colors.

As ever with a Diana Krall record, her distinctive feel and unique sense of time is crucial. She has established a new and exciting rhythmic rapport with drummer Jay Bellerose and bassist Dennis Crouch that has let loose some of her most joyous piano playing heard on record to date.

Among the new elements brought into the spontaneous arrangement process are the mysterious, sometimes comedic commentaries coming from the keyboards of Keefus Green.

The album will be released worldwide on Verve Records September 25th and is available for pre-order here: http://smarturl.it/GladRagDoll

Marc Ribot (Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, 6 String Bass and Banjo),
T Bone Burnett (Guitars),
Howard Coward (Ukulele, Mandola, Tenor Guitar, Harmony Vocals),
Jay Bellerose (Drums),
Dennis Crouch (Bass),
Bryan Sutton (Guitars),
Colin Linden (Guitars, Dobro)
Keefus Green (Keyboards, Mellotron).

LISTEN to "There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears" here: http://smarturl.it/NewDianaKrall

Track Listing:
1. We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye (Woods)
2. There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears (Fisher)
3. Just Like a Butterfly That's Caught in the Rain (Dixon/Woods)
4. You Know - I Know Ev'rything's Made for Love (Sherman/Tobias/Johnson)
5. Glad Rag Doll (Ager/Dougherty/Yellen)
6. I'm A Little Mixed Up (James/Johnson)
7. Prairie Lullaby (Hill)
8. Here Lies Love (Rainger/Robin)
9. I Used to Love You But It's All Over Now (von Tilzer/Brown)
10. Let it Rain (Kendis/Dyson)
11. Lonely Avenue (Pomus)
12. Wide River to Cross (Miller/Miller)
13. When the Curtain Comes Down (Hoefle/Lewis/Sherman)

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Mikeh

Re: Elvis on Diana's new album "Glad Rag Doll"

Post by Mikeh »

If his wife looks like that, no wonder he spends so long on the road!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

According to Wikipedia,
Glad Rag Doll is a 1928 song composed by Milton Ager with lyrics by Jack Yellen and Dan Dougherty. It was Ager and Yellen’s first movie theme song, written for the motion picture of the same name (released in 1929) starring Dolores Costello.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glad_Rag_Doll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glad_Rag_Doll_(film)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In the absence of a new album we'll just have to make do with this release as a source of material to continue the journey of musical discovery that Elvis has lead us on over the years.While not questioning Ms Krall's proven record of inventiveness in her work it has to be assumed that the use of a producer and musicians that Elvis has worked with has to allow for the assumption that he had a presence in many aspects of this album.

Let's start with track one, We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye (Woods) was recorded by Ruth Etting , whom, I've speculated elsewhere , may have been the subject of the song Church Underground

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... g#p7695618

There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears (Fisher)

was covered by Norma Waterson on the same album to include a version of The Birds Will Still Be Singing

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... a_Waterson

Just Like a Butterfly That's Caught in the Rain (Dixon/Woods) shares a composer with We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye

You Know - I Know Ev'rything's Made for Love (Sherman/Tobias/Johnson) is also known as Everything's Made for Love (You Know -I Know)

Glad Rag Doll (Ager/Dougherty/Yellen) has already been speculated about above by Azmuda

I'm A Little Mixed Up (James/Johnson) is a rockin' tune !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoq5YwF ... re=related

Prairie Lullaby (Hill) was covered by Doc Watson

Here Lies Love (Rainger/Robin) was also covered by Frank Zappa

.................and that's all I have time for now!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

John, I suspect that the Costello family personal 'jukebox' contains a far more eclectic and wide ranging choice of songs then we will ever know. I also suspect that 'jukebox' is loaded with a far greater range of choices made by Mrs. Costello herself, independent of any assistance provided by her husband or his musician friends. Welcome the opportunity to 'rummage' amongst it if only through these dozen or so tracks that are being offered in the fall.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I kind of guessed I Used to Love You But It's All Over Now (von Tilzer/Brown) was not the Bobby Womack and Shirley Womack song ( recorded by the 'Stones , of course) hiding under some kind of pseudonym ; its still interesting to contrast the two lyrics.

I Used To Love You But It's All Over Now
- Song and Lyrics by Lew Brown and Albert Von Tilzer

I used to bless the day I first met you
I planned so many things for just us two
But now its plain to see that you have never cared for me
You can't deny you fooled me from the start
It's best we part, before you break my heart

I never would believe the things I'd hear
Because I always thought you were sincere
But now I find I'm wrong for you've been flirting right along
You will admit I acted on the square
Still you don't care and you've been so unfair

Chorus
I used to love you, but its all over, All over now,
You know it's all over town that you threw me down
But you shouldn't let that kind of story go 'round
For you've had your chance, and now it's all over, I'll get along somehow
Now there are things that you did, I used to forgive
But you'll never change just as long as you live,
I used to love you, but it's all over, all over now.

It's All Over Now

Bobby Womack/Shirley Womack

Baby used to stay out all night long
She made me cry
You know she done me wrong
She held my eyes open and that's no lie
Tables turned and now it's her turn to cry
But then I used to love her but it's all over now
Yes it is
But then I used to love her but it's all over now

Listen
She used to run around with every single man in town
Spent all my money playing her fast game
She put me out, it was a pity how I cried
But the tables turned and now it's her turn to cry
Because I used to love her but it's all over now
Ain't no lie
because I used to love her but it's all over now

Listen
Well I used to wake the morning get my breakfast in bed
When I got worried she'd ease my aching head
But now she's here and there with every single man in town
But the tables turned and now it's her turn to cry
Yes it is

Listen to this one

But then I used to love her but it's all
now wait a minute
But then I used to love her but you know
but you know it's all over now
But then I used to love her but you know it's all over now

' The contemplative, contemporary reading of the old Gene Austin recording of "Let It Rain"...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oydJPmKjM3E

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.ph ... et_it_rain

4/24/1925 (New York, New York) Victor 19677

Gene Austin (vocalist: tenor vocal)
May Singhi Breen (instrumentalist: ukulele)
Nathaniel Shilkret (instrumentalist: piano)

Lonely Avenue (Pomus) - possibly the best known song on the album.

Wide River to Cross (Miller/Miller) - covered by Levon Helm on Dirt Farmer (2007)
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

johnfoyle wrote:

Wide River to Cross (Miller/Miller) - covered by Levon Helm on Dirt Farmer (2007)

This is the one Elvis and Diana performed with the Sugarcanes at Santiago de Compostela, right? (July 27, 2010)

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

gee whiz...you made me check the setlist from this night. why did i never get THIS bootleg? four-five songs together for E & Diana has to be there biggest LIVE collaboration, right? no one recorded the Krall set it seems huh?? would you have the boot Dave??
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle wrote:no one recorded the Krall set it seems huh??
Both sets were recorded and posted on Dime at the time.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

FAVEHOUR wrote:This is the one Elvis and Diana performed with the Sugarcanes at Santiago de Compostela, right? (July 27, 2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54ABjhp6CI
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I like the fact that most of the tunes seem to be in the public domain. Does anyone know if the licensing around these tunes are in the public domain or not? I also like this format (song and dance) because it brings century old music back and allows for an exploration into the past - a real history in music lesson with some of your favorite artists. It's cool. I like it. Makes services like Pandora dig deep into music roots. The only thing I hope is that some lawyer is getting screwed on licensing rights.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

"She's so sure, she's self-possessed
Then again she's half undressed"

it's a small step from glad rag to shabby ...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

"Wide River To Cross": http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120814

EC is easily recognizable on background vocals.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Wide River To Cross": http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120814

EC is easily recognizable on background vocals.
Nice vocals.

Although Krall was certainly familiar with Burnett – her husband, Elvis Costello, had worked with him on a slew of projects ("They're like brothers," she says)

Howard and Henry?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dianakrall.com/news_d.aspx?nid=2459

8/14/2012

'Glad Rag Doll' Cover Revealed

Diana Krall has collaborated with Academy Award winning costume designer, Colleen Atwood and acclaimed photographer, Mark Seliger to create a series of beautiful and striking images for Krall’s new album, “Glad Rag Doll”. They are inspired by Alfred Cheney Johnston’s pictures of the girls of the Ziegfeld Follies taken during the 1920s.

Said Krall, “If there was an era to which I could choose to go back in time, it would be the 1920s, just because of the whole wildness of it all.”

Speaking of her collaborators, Diana said, “I had admired Colleen’s work in “Chicago” and “Edward Scissorhandsand worked with her for both my appearance in the Johnny Depp movie about John Dillinger, “Public Enemies” and on Tony Bennett’s 80th birthday television spectacular. Colleen understood exactly what I was trying to achieve with the choice of costume.”

The cover image of the album, “Glad Rag Doll” – out October 2nd on Verve – was shot by Mark Seliger, who also photographed Diana for her 2004 album “The Girl In The Other Room”.

Said Krall, “Mark is someone I admire and trust completely in creating something that I have had in my
head for years; photographs that echo images of the Ziegfeld Girls, as well as making reference to photographs from the late 1970s.”

Seliger has shot countless remarkable cover images for Vanity Fair, GQ and Rolling Stone. The most recent collection of his work, “Listen” was published in October of 2010.

Although many of the songs on “Glad Rag Doll” were also written and first performed in the 1920s and ‘30s, Krall says, “There was never any thought of simply recreating what was already done in the past.”

Read more about Alfred Cheney Johnston and his work here:

http://alfredcheneyjohnston.com/blog/acj-bio/

http://ruthetting.com/alfred-cheney-johnston/

Learn about Mark Seliger’s “Capture”: Episode 1 –

http://youtu.be/zfmifVKpat8

Trailer - www.youtube.com/ReserveChannel
Jack of All Parades

Marketing 101- sex sells- damn the musical content!!! :shock:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
migdd

Post by migdd »

However, the musical content seems to be pretty thrilling from what has been made available thus far.
Jack of All Parades

Agree regarding the earlier preview of "Ain't No Sweet Man Worth the Salt of My Tears" but this cover of Buddy Miller's song is rather bland for my ears. But it is nice to hear her trying to break the mold she had fallen into as a performer and singer.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120814

Diana Krall Offers Wistful Take on 'Wide River to Cross'
Singer says working with T Bone Burnett was 'life-changing'

By Dan Hyman
August 14, 2012

Diana Krall achieved a career highlight this year when she played piano on and served as the primary musical guide for Paul McCartney's standards album, Kisses on the Bottom. But her latest work, the T Bone Burnett-produced Glad Rag Doll, reinvigorated her like never before, the Grammy-winning jazz pianist tells Rolling Stone.

"It was like I was a completely clean piece of canvas," Krall, 47, says of the sessions that resulted in whimsical, yet equally wistful and weathered takes on timeless tunes including Buddy Miller's "Wide River to Cross"

On the surface, Glad Rag Doll, due October 2nd, seems like a significant shift for Krall, whose most recent release was the 2009 bossa nova-influenced collection Quiet Nights. But as she explains, the album's songs are deeply rooted in her musical history: while other kids were out causing a ruckus, a teenaged Krall was listening to 78-rpm records in her basement, blissing out to American musicians including Gene Austin, Louis Armstrong and Bix Beiderbecke. "This music is probably closer to me than anything because I knew it as a child," she says.

Although Krall was certainly familiar with Burnett – her husband, Elvis Costello, had worked with him on a slew of projects ("They're like brothers," she says) – she had never seen the producer in action before Costello persuaded her to enlist Burnett for Glad Rag Doll. She was hesitant at first, given her husband's friendship with him. "I was thinking inside my head, 'Oh gosh, if this doesn't work this is gonna be difficult,'" she says, laughing.

She needn't have worried: Burnett and Krall were a natural fit, bonding over a shared encyclopedic knowledge of music. The singer says she thrived on Burnett's hands-off approach, comparing him to "a great director who knows exactly what to say. It was a life-changing experience to work with him."

Costello stopped by the studio occasionally to join his wife and close friend, along with a collection of studio pros including guitarist Marc Ribot, bassist Dennis Crouch and keyboardist Keefus. It was a different experience from Krall's collaboration with Costello on her 2004 album The Girl in the Other Room. Where they shared writing duties on that project, his participation this time was looser: The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer contributed instrumental parts on some tunes and shared a bevy of in-studio laughs."Elvis's presence there was just so much fun for me,” Krall says. “We just had such a good time."

All the same, Glad Rag Doll was a daunting task, Krall says. It required taking old-school songs and giving them a modern sheen, without having the entire project feel like a "giant nostalgia piece." But what Krall says made the project work was relinquishing control: She, Burnett and the others worked as a unit, composing largely off-the-cuff. "It was completely surrendering to the moment," she says.

To a younger generation, the songs on the album may largely sound foreign, and Krall says she understands the risks of recording songs that are a bit obscure. But armed with her signature contralto, the singer brings considerable charm to standouts including the ramshackle shimmy of Fred Fisher's "There Ain't No Sweet Man Worth the Salt of My Tears," the steady pacing on Gene Austin's "Let It Rain" and the haunting vindication that echoes in her take on the Doc Pomus classic "Lonely Avenue." Risks or not, it was a project Krall just couldn't pass up.

"I've always been interested in artists that have a lot to say," she says, "and have the courage to explore different ways of saying it."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.facebook.com/dianakrall/app_333145200107266

'You have unlocked the exclusive new Interview with Diana Krall & T-Bone Burnett by Elvis Costello '
And No Coffee Table

Stream the full album:
http://beta.usatoday.com/story/life/mus ... m/1590517/

I don't think it's been mentioned that there's a "deluxe edition" of the album with four bonus tracks:

14. As Long As I Love
15. Glad Rag Doll (Alternate Version)
16. Garden In The Rain
17. There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My Tears (Alternate Version)

The iTunes version includes the tracks above plus an additional bonus track:

18. All I Do Is Dream Of You
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... Ta to previous poster for notifying us of streaming-link ... lovely.

Probably with my UK FOPP £11 voucher I shall buy it/try and obtain bonus-bits album (maybe vinyls).
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Sorry not been keeping up with threads just downloaded new album today and was totally knocked sideways by cover 'art', song titles still remain interesting choices for perhaps another life .
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

EPK (with Elvis asking the questions): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNoMtPplJKw
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.