Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Post by sweetest punch »

Royal Albert Hall tickets for sale: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=6&t=9447
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some more seats (standing and seated) have just been released for the sold out Elvis Costello gig on 26 May

http://www.cornex.co.uk/ccm/cornex/2012 ... ostello.en
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I wish Elvis would look at the football fixtures calendar before deciding his tour dates. I am going to the Nottingham gig and will miss the European Cup Final! This is not the first time one of his hows has coincided with a big football match!!
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Man out of Time wrote:
Natasha wrote:Also, two weeks till I'll see London *.*
Pack warm clothes and an umbrella.

MOOT
Thanks. I'll do it. :) :)
verbal gymnastics wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Yeah I'm at the first night RAH - Stalls L Row 11 seat 123. Shall we arrange a meet up?
But of course! And hopefully the lovely Natasha, among others, will be joining us.
Yay! If everything works out (and it will!) I'll be there! \o/ \o/ \o/
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Man out of Time wrote:
Natasha wrote:Also, two weeks till I'll see London *.*
Pack warm clothes and an umbrella.

MOOT
Yes Natasha.. definitely bring an umbrella and some warm clothes..I nearly froze in Scotland and it was also very wet, and then everywhere indoors is far too hot with too much central heating. Then again London weather might be slightly better, but don't count on it.
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Don't count on it indeed. I'd recommend a souwester and inflatable dinghy over an umbrella at the moment.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Well, Brazil is not so tropical at the moment as well. :p

But is it really that bad? I packed warm clothes, I only hope they are warm enough. I'm also taking some brazilian rum with me and I'm sure it will keep me warm. lol

Last FM
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Natasha wrote:Well, Brazil is not so tropical at the moment as well. :p

But is it really that bad? I packed warm clothes, I only hope they are warm enough. I'm also taking some brazilian rum with me and I'm sure it will keep me warm. lol
Ahh I love my rum ! Incidentally after the Liverpool show I asked Davey Faragher how he was dealing with the current UK climate.. He said "Jeez man ! Yesterday, I had to buy a new coat" :)
krm

Post by krm »

The Glasgow weather was indeed challenging. We would have needed both a new coat and the rum :-).
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Liverpool was starting to get very cold after the gig - worth it though :wink: After a rotten day at work, I decided 'sod it' I was going to Newcastle too and bought a ticket today (and that's definitely the last this tour after Glasgow and Liverpool - so says my bank account)
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The good news weather wise is London is suppose to be very nice Wednesday and Thursday and about time too.

On another subject Elvis has done no publicity at all for this tour or have I missed it?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On another subject Elvis has done no publicity at all for this tour or have I missed it?
Just for the Dublin date, it seems.

Back in April I posted here -
I've just read the new issues of Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector , issues that , surely, should have had some preview comments/interviews/features for the U.K tour. Except they don't - not a word , no ads. even. It's true that most of the U.K. dates have sold well and need little promotion. Clearly Elvis or his people have decided that the relevant media are just not worth the effort. So, it seems, this will just be a tour that will delight the fans , maybe get some post-show reviews and then Elvis will merrily go on to other territories. The fact the it'll mean he'll get little or no new fans in the U.K. seems not to have come to mind. Or maybe it's been determined that word of mouth from the shows might do the trick. We'll see.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

can't help noticing in the centre page spread of the tour programme, the list of possible songs you may hear on this tour among the "rarities" lists "Sparkling Day" and the "Numbers" jackpot features "Unwanted Number", to my knowledge these haven't been performed on this tour as yet...would be nice to hear these live...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

They're going to be the finale encores with Bruce Springsteen and Prince as Basingstoke. It's true because so lacklustre told me and he is not a man to joke about such matters.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just to confirm to anyone's who's interested, I have recorded Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Bristol and both RAH shows, though my recording stops halfway through PIU on the first night. However, my 2 weeks holiday is nearly up, we're trying to tidy the house to sell it and I've had final year exams to mark in between driving around the country so please bear with me - they will make it to dime eventually. Can anyone help me with a complete recording I've received from Manchester which has been sent on DVD in both Windows Media and IMG format - I can't seem to get them to play as my Winamp freezes when I try to load the files Any help would enable the whole Manchester show to be available to everyone !!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

sulky lad wrote:Just to confirm to anyone's who's interested, I have recorded Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham, Bristol and both RAH shows, though my recording stops halfway through PIU on the first night. However, my 2 weeks holiday is nearly up, we're trying to tidy the house to sell it and I've had final year exams to mark in between driving around the country so please bear with me - they will make it to dime eventually. Can anyone help me with a complete recording I've received from Manchester which has been sent on DVD in both Windows Media and IMG format - I can't seem to get them to play as my Winamp freezes when I try to load the files Any help would enable the whole Manchester show to be available to everyone !!
God Bless You Sulky! What happened to the other shows then :wink:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Basingstoke is postponed... and more Spinning Songbook dates are coming!

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/bas ... cement/334

"Basingstoke Postponement Announcement"

"Regretfully, we have to announce that tonight's Spectacular Spinning Songbook concert by Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Anvil Theatre in Basingstoke has been postponed due to short term vocal fatigue and doctors advice.

Elvis Costello sent the following message to ticket holders...

"I would like to apologize to our friends in Basingstoke for not being able to sing this evening but I would not want to end this Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour of the U.K. with what I know could only be a sub-standard performance. I thank you for your understanding and I look forward to our rescheduled show in your fine theatre.

Our recent "Revolver Tour" dates have joyful, comical, humbling, inspiring and restoring occasions after a very difficult personal time. I want to send my sincere thanks to all those who attended, span the Wheel, swung the Hammer of Songs, shook a tailfeather and lifted their voices. It's been good to be back and that goes for the Imposters too.

Thanks must also go to our special guests, Bible Code Sundays, the MacManus Brothers, Chris Difford, Ian Prowse, Russell Crowe, Martin Belmont, Glenn Tilbrook, Mr. Nick Lowe and Albert's Giant Royal Organ."

We are presently seeking a suitable date for a re-scheduled Basingstoke concert.

Watch this space for future announcements about new "Revolver" dates.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters can be seen at the Cornbury Festival on Saturday June 30th."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

First of all, sorry for taking so long to post this message here. As you guys know, I am still travelling (and I still will be for the next two weeks).

I just wanna thank you guys. Thank you thank you thank you for your kindness, hospitality and patience :) . I had a great time in London, I loved every minute, with all its ups and downs (problems of communication, transportation, etc. I guess every big city is a bit hostile in the beggining when you are new and alone but that´s why it is called adventure).

Both shows were great. I have to say that when I saw The Man on stage I almost cried. Ok, I cried. A little. Ok, a lot. :P It was one of those moments I´ll remember forever. Suddenly, many things in my life made sense. I wish he knew how much his music means to me.

I loved both setlists but the Girl Jackpot was simply kick ass! Spooky Girlfriend is one of my favorite songs and I would never imagine he would play it! I also loved (and was really surprised by ) the Temptations cover. I always thought it woukd be great if he played some temptations. He possibily played ALL of my favorites! What to say about Beyond Belief! Simply magic (specially on second night when he called a friend of mine to the stage! - the redhead in green dress in the end of the show - I was so happy for her, like it was me there).

For me his performance was rockin and perfect (although his voice is going). But, well, what do I know, it was the first time I saw him. :) He is a showman, and I don´t mind to hear the same jokes everynight. :P I would never be tired of it.

I waited for him at stage door on both nights (next time I hear the words "Elvis has left the building" I am going to kill someone :P ). We even asked Nick Lowe if Elvis was still there! LOL It´s a shame he did´t come to talk to us . But now I think that maybe he wasn't feeling well? I don't know. I only know that I HAVE to talk to him in Hamburg. (Please please please let this one not be cancelled).

Also, I talked to Pete Thomas and he confirmed that the south american tour was cancelled because it didn´t sell well (Nobody bought the tickets, he said. I bought, I replied :P ). So I am really glad I made the insane thing of coming here to see him because now I am sure he will never play in my country again. :(

Anyway, it was two nights to remember. I had the time of my life, listened to great music, had great conversations and made great new friends.

I uploaded some videos for those who may be interested. http://www.youtube.com/patriciamatos85

Again, thanks guys for everything. :D

Last FM
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Natasha - it was lovely to meet you and I am so pleased that your whole London experience was such a good one.

I hope to see you again.

Enjoy Hamburg - I'm sure his voice will be fine, the show will be great and that you'll get to meet Elvis and the band. And then you can tell us all about it 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to whoever sent me this memorabilia from Elvis' recent shows!No name with it - so delightfully mysterious!