Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/168458/9

Elvis Costello Confirms Dates For The Spectacular Spinning Songbook UK Tour

Monday, 24 October 2011

Written by Jon Stickler

New Wave singer and songwriter Declan MacManus, better known as Elvis Costello, has announced May 2012 dates for the Spectacular Spinning Songbook UK tour.

The tour will begin in Glasgow on Friday 11th May and will include shows in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Brighton, Newcastle, Nottingham, Bournemouth, Bristol, London and Cambridge.

An overture of five uninterrupted rock and roll tunes announces Elvis Costello and the Imposters to the stage, after which members of the audience are invited to spin the gigantic vaudevillian contraption and select the next song.

Fortune may deliver such hits such as 'Oliver’s Army', 'Everyday I Write The Book' and 'Watching The Detectives' or land on a 'Jackpot' selection such as 'Time' and 'Girl', demanding a sequence of songs, each containing these words.

Bolder participants may shake a tailfeather in the Hostage-To-Fortune Go-Go Cage, while the more reserved take a seat in the Society Lounge.

This new tour arrives following an acclaimed run of American dates during the Spring and Summer of 2011. The tour was extended three times, due to popular demand, drawing over 10,000 attendees in New York City alone and received rave notices from coast to coast.

Hitting the spotlight for the first time back in the mid-1970’s, Elvis Costello began playing on London’s pub rock scene before later becoming associated with the New Wave musical genre. Achieving considerable chart success, his albums have ranged freely across genres and earned him the label of one of the most respected composers of the modern era.

Elvis Costello UK Tour Dates are as follows:

May 2012

May 11th - Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow
May 12th - O2 Apollo Manchester
May 13th - Liverpool Empire
May 15th - Symphony Hall, Birmingham
May 16th - Brighton Centre
May 18th - Newcastle City Hall
May 19th - Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham
May 20th - Bournemouth International Centre (BIC)
May 22nd - Colston Hall, Bristol
May 23rd - Royal Albert Hall, London
May 26th - Corn Exchange, Cambridge

Elvis Costello Tickets are onsale from 9am on Friday 28th October 2011.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning , UK tour , May 2012

Post by bronxapostle »

i just so GOT HAPPY!! for my UK pals...don't miss 5-23 ROYAL ALBERT HALL; one year anniversary of the CRAZIEST REVOLVER SHOW here!!! enjoy!!!! :) :) :) :) :)
jardine

Post by jardine »

Also glad for the UK. However, "New Wave singer"?? Really?
krm

Post by krm »

This looks like an excellent possibility of a roadtrip to UK!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Whoo Hooo!!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Cool! You guys deserve it...and more. Perhaps he'll add more dates and second nights "due to popular demand".
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

May is going to be an expensive month...

...AND there are free dates on 24th and 25th May. :shock:

Looks like the kids are going without a summer holiday. And shoes. And possibly food :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Also Dublin on 9th May according to the official site.
johnfoyle

Elvis/Poland, Nov 15 '11 - cancelled?

Post by johnfoyle »

The tour starts in Dublin @ the Grand Canal Theatre on May 9th
verbal gymnastics

And ends in Basingstoke on 27th according to Elvis' website.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The official site also has a show May 29 in Paris (not in the UK!).

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:May is going to be an expensive month...

...AND there are free dates on 24th and 25th May. :shock:

Looks like the kids are going without a summer holiday. And shoes. And possibly food :lol:
they'll get over it! who needs all that stuff? again, so very happy to see so many "wheel" dates rolling your way. & happy for me/us too as it appears what E himself inferred a week back, it looks like the good old USA will have plenty of time to see another leg or two come our way february, march or april.
verbal gymnastics

Looking at the ticket prices it would seem that the US shows have subsidised the price of the UK shows.
verbal gymnastics

...and not forgetting those expensive European solo shows
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

putting out the bunting

Colin Top Balcony
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

verbal gymnastics wrote:And ends in Basingstoke on 27th according to Elvis' website.
Everything eventually ends in Basingstoke.

VG - when tickets go on sale, get in touch with me as I am definitely going to make one or two of these dates - RAH for sure.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

What am I? VGTickets? :lol:

I think there may be a second RAH night. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for that one yet.

I also need to speak to my partner in crime who was excited to hear the news when I messaged him earlier. Hexwas at work with no Internet access. I'm down for about 5 nights so far...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

But you ARE VGTickets! :lol:
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So who else doesn't have internet at work ( that you can legitimately use - God bless the NHS)?? :roll:I
I'm in turmoil as I don't know where I'll be living in May though i will be working in Plymouth ( no where near any shows !!)
A week's holiday in Brum (where I am at present) looks likely and should cover Manchester, Liverpool Birmingham and Nottingham, so that leaves Bristol RAH and Bournemouth - think Newcastle and Glasgow are write-offs. I need to teach VG how to record for Brighton.
Hey BA and Doc, get your passports out, we'll put you up wherever we're living !! Happy news indeed :lol: :P
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The official announcement -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -tour-/242

Here's a real tulip - highlighted are some of the more spurious additions.

Besides not noticing Elvis' tours since '05 - with Allen Toussaint, The Brodsky Quartet and solo- it has the cheek to describe the Dublin show as being the start of a British tour , something Elvis's site is careful not to do.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/elvis-co ... es-uk-tour

live Posted by Robin Murray Mon, 24/10/2011

Elvis Costello has outlined plans to bring his ‘Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ to the UK.

Elvis Costello has a curious relationship with his homeland. London-Irish, the singer's contrary, outspoken nature has seen him both embrace his dual heritage and reject British audiences outright.

After a disastrous performance at Glastonbury in 2005 the singer told The Independent: "I don't care if I ever play England again. That gig made up my mind I wouldn't come back. I don't get along with it. We lost touch. It's 25 years since I lived there. I don't dig it, they don't dig me."

More than five years later, Elvis Costello is ready to tour the country again with some of his most lavish shows to date. The ‘Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ was premièred to enormous success in North America last year, and is set to cross the Atlantic for a lengthy series of British shows.

Opening with an overture of five uninterrupted rock and roll tunes, member of the audience will then be asked to spin an enormous wheel to choose the next track.

Although the options are limited, this will mean that each set will be completely different. Set up to resemble a classic Vaudeville show, Elvis Costello has crafted spaces such as the Hostage-To-Fortune Go-Go Cage or the Society Lounge.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters will play Dublin's Grand Canal Theatre on May 9th, opening the singer's first full British tour in some time. Playing Glasgow on May 11th, the tour hits Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and more.

The band will play the Royal Albert Hall on May 23rd, before the tour winds down with shows in Cambridge and Basingstoke.

Tickets go on sale this Friday (October 28th) at 9am except for Dublin passes which go on sale at 9am on November 3rd.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

if i can't be there, (I CAN'T!), at least i bet i gather some ticket stubs from my cousins abroad! :lol: :lol: :lol: you belly-achers best get to at least 4 shows.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

If I do 4, BA I'll still be about 6 behind you !! Now, do you want stubs, recordings, DVDS ??? I'm not octopus man you know :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

johnfoyle wrote:The official announcement -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -tour-/242

Here's a real tulip - highlighted are some of the more spurious additions.

Besides not noticing Elvis' tours since '05 - with Allen Toussaint, The Brodsky Quartet and solo- it has the cheek to describe the Dublin show as being the start of a British tour , something Elvis's site is careful not to do.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/elvis-co ... es-uk-tour

live Posted by Robin Murray Mon, 24/10/2011

Elvis Costello has outlined plans to bring his ‘Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ to the UK.

Elvis Costello has a curious relationship with his homeland. London-Irish, the singer's contrary, outspoken nature has seen him both embrace his dual heritage and reject British audiences outright.

After a disastrous performance at Glastonbury in 2005 the singer told The Independent: "I don't care if I ever play England again. That gig made up my mind I wouldn't come back. I don't get along with it. We lost touch. It's 25 years since I lived there. I don't dig it, they don't dig me."

More than five years later, Elvis Costello is ready to tour the country again with some of his most lavish shows to date. The ‘Spectacular Spinning Songbook’ was premièred to enormous success in North America last year, and is set to cross the Atlantic for a lengthy series of British shows.

Opening with an overture of five uninterrupted rock and roll tunes, member of the audience will then be asked to spin an enormous wheel to choose the next track.

Although the options are limited, this will mean that each set will be completely different. Set up to resemble a classic Vaudeville show, Elvis Costello has crafted spaces such as the Hostage-To-Fortune Go-Go Cage or the Society Lounge.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters will play Dublin's Grand Canal Theatre on May 9th, opening the singer's first full British tour in some time. Playing Glasgow on May 11th, the tour hits Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and more.

The band will play the Royal Albert Hall on May 23rd, before the tour winds down with shows in Cambridge and Basingstoke.

Tickets go on sale this Friday (October 28th) at 9am except for Dublin passes which go on sale at 9am on November 3rd.
They seem to have missed his 9-date UK tour last year.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Oboy oboy oboy oboy oboy oboy.

Erstwhile board frequenter Jackson Doofster Monk texts me at work to ask which show I'm going to and sends me a link with some of the dates on, so I'm thinking 'nice, will get my ass down to the RAH', but now after midnight and finally able to look at the internet for the first time, bugger me backwards, he's only playing in my home town of Cambridge at the Corn Ex!!!! I do believe it's his first show in this town since a 1979 May Ball or something. I did look once, maybe one or two 80s shows, but certainly not in my 20 years here, other than the Folk Festival once solo, which I was away for.

Ideally I'd go to both, but heck, son at university and all that. And just rolling up on my bike and back after will be so easy.

Will be feverishly sitting down on Fri am to book.

Schön, wunderbar, ausgezeichnet.

And So Lack will be happy too with a local night for him ending the tour.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:If I do 4, BA I'll still be about 6 behind you !! Now, do you want stubs, recordings, DVDS ??? I'm not octopus man you know :lol: :lol: :lol:
man, listen....first of all, i only got to FIVE Revolver shows. what do you think my name is favedave? secondly, if i could man a SONY cassette recorder, check my phone clock for forty five minute tape flips, write the setlist w/ notes, applaud, click a camera, and smoke something here and there (in the olden days!) i'm certain you'll be fine. the scouring the floor comes AFTER the show anyway! and feel free to skip the video; i'd rather HEAR than SEE what i missed! save your money, get to shows and let the tape roll! 8)