APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Post by bronxapostle »

just home after 2 hours away from the computer. glad to hear the good news both jmm & doc. as an OLD Met fan, allow me to say: YA GOTTA BELIEVE!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:The magic of the 1000 post exchange got us 4 but not until 10+ mins after the pre-sale started

Thanks ba - 1000 posts, how many were on the "king of collaborations" thread!!!
ah, one of my greatest hits/misses....how could i have thought this or the "king of covers" thread could ever be fully updated???
see you on 23rd street jack! will you help me camouflage Sony for a second consecutive show five months to the day since Greene Space???
cwr

Post by cwr »

Looks like I struck out all three times. Each opportunity to get tickets, they seem to have been sold out so quickly I didn't have a chance...
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Anyone have a spare? I live 8 blocks away and work 1 block away ... but missed out.
Where's North from 'ere?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stormwarning wrote:Anyone have a spare? I live 8 blocks away and work 1 block away ... but missed out.

if no one comes thru, just go that night...God will provide!
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

anyone know what the story is with the tickets? my understanding is that the "pre-sale" are will-call....were the live nation also will call or are these ticketfast...or hard tickets?

any help appreciated

Cheers
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

after the show, i will mail a copy to anyone who sends me a HARD COPY ticket stub!!!!!!!!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

History Repeats wrote:anyone know what the story is with the tickets? my understanding is that the "pre-sale" are will-call....were the live nation also will call or are these ticketfast...or hard tickets?

any help appreciated

Cheers
My presale tickets from Live Nation were printed at home. Will call was an option though.
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Thanks, Doc!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

noticeable absence of ypsi at this thread....hope she did not miss out!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

from WIKI. tiny...499! i guess they'll squeeze 550 on friday.

Opened in 1937, and located at 127 E. 23rd St, it is part of the historic Gramercy neighborhood.
It was originally known as the Gramercy Park Theatre to avoid confusion with the already existing Gramercy Theatre, which had 521 seats and was situated at 310 First Avenue. After the old Gramercy Theatre succumbed to TV competition in the early 1950s, the newer theatre dropped "Park" from its name.
In the 1950s, the theatre was purchased by Cinema V, an art-film presentation and distribution company. The theatre was considered an "art house" due to eclectic programming, no admittance near the end of a film (unheard of back then), and coffee served in the waiting area.
Cinema V, grew from Rugoff and Becker theaters, a chain started in 1921 by Don Rugoff's father. Rugoff gained control of the company in 1957 and began a quick expansion in the burgeoning world of art-house exhibition. The Gramercy Theatre was part of this expansion.
Some of the programming that the New York Times lists in the 50s for the Gramercy Theatre switched from single bookings to double features, a novel approach for the time. There were a mix of foreign, sub-run mainstream, Disney films, and revivals.
In the early 1970's, the Theatre was a dollar-theater, showing third run movies. In the late 70's it showed second-run films such as "The Spy Who Loved Me," "New York, New York", "3 Women", and "Outrageous!".
In the early 80's, still under Cinema V, the theater showcased first-run movies. Cinema V changed to City Cinemas in the late 80's, and did record breaking business until Cineplex Odeon opened the 9-screen Chelsea Cinemas and large audiences disappeared from Gramercy.
In 1992, City Cinemas closed the theatre after using it briefly as a Hollywood classics revival house.
In 1995, Amit Govil, a real estate investor revived the theatre into the only movie house in the five boroughs to exclusively feature films made in India. Immediately before that, it was the home of an anti-drug agency. It was also used around this time as the location shoot for The Fugees video Killing me Softly.
In 1998, the theatre was renovated into a 499-seat playhouse to present Off Broadway theatrical productions, the largest in the city. In 1999, the Roundabout Theater Company premiered plays by contemporary writers such as Brian Friel, Paula Vogel, Beth Henley and Harold Pinter. Performances included Charles Randolph-Wright's play with music, Blue starring Phylicia Rashad; Conor McPhereson's A Skull in Connemara; Speaking in Tongues with Karen Allen; and Richard Greenberg's The Dazzle.
In 2002, Roundabout presented its final offering,All Over by Edward Albee before closing in September. Soon after, in 2002, the Museum of Modern Art used the theater as a temporary film-house, while its location at the Lincoln Center was remodeled.
From 2002-2004, the theater was simultaneously used as a film-house and an Off-Broadway playhouse. In 2004, the theater was shut down after its last production of "From My Hometown," which ran from April 12, to July 12, 2004. The MoMA stopped using it as a theatre in April of 2004.
In 2006, Live Nation bought the space with the intention of turning it into an intimate concert venue. The first performance under Live Nation was Stellastarr on March 7, 2007. On April 26, 2007, Blender Magazine became an official namesake sponsor and the venue was renamed the Blender Theater at Gramercy (note: 'Theatre' was officially changed to 'Theater' for the sponsorship.) After two years, the name changed back to the Gramercy Theatre without a sponsorship in the name -- 'Theatre' remains to be spelled as the aforementioned instead of 'Theater'.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Lets hope to hear about earlier shows the same evening assuming a 11pm start means something else may be taking place. Joes Pub has booking, Beacon is open?

David
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

supplydavid wrote:Lets hope to hear about earlier shows the same evening assuming a 11pm start means something else may be taking place. Joes Pub has booking, Beacon is open?

David
The tickets have the start time at 10 pm.
jmm

Post by jmm »

bronxapostle wrote:
jmm wrote:The magic of the 1000 post exchange got us 4 but not until 10+ mins after the pre-sale started

Thanks ba - 1000 posts, how many were on the "king of collaborations" thread!!!
ah, one of my greatest hits/misses....how could i have thought this or the "king of covers" thread could ever be fully updated???
see you on 23rd street jack! will you help me camouflage Sony for a second consecutive show five months to the day since Greene Space???
You know I'm happy to help if I can ba - see you there

I guess PBS TV is another place EC and Pete will be appearing on Friday
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The announcement at elviscostello.com ends with the question: "Where else might they turn up??"

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/IT'S+ ... LS+DAY/106
How about Irving Plaza for a couple songs with The Secret Sisters and Amos Lee?

Then City Winery for a duet with Marty Jones on "Sleep Of The Just".
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

EarlManchester wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:The announcement at elviscostello.com ends with the question: "Where else might they turn up??"

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/IT'S+ ... LS+DAY/106
How about Irving Plaza for a couple songs with The Secret Sisters and Amos Lee?

Then City Winery for a duet with Marty Jones on "Sleep Of The Just".
Maybe even Glenn Tilbrook @ City Winery on April 6th...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

JUST GOT A TICKET!!!! Chose the will call option, looks like they've released some more. Obviously, holding back tickets allowed the scalper rates to soar.

So who's up for a meetup?
Where's North from 'ere?
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

http://www.stubhub.com/elvis-costello-t ... 1-1065055/

stub hub before fees are below $50 with instant downloads for those without tickets....
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis' Twitter feed asks: "Where Else Might They Turn Up?"

http://twitter.com/#!/ElvisCostello/sta ... 2904012800
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

5:15 p.m. tix down to $31. i love when scalpers get screwed. i got a good feeling i will be at all three BEACON nights for $20-$25 on the two nights i need tix for!
And No Coffee Table

According to Twitter, Elvis already appeared with the Secret Sisters at Irving Plaza at about 7:55 and will be doing a 15-minute opening set for the Strokes at Madison Square Garden at 8:45.
And No Coffee Table

http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/2011/ ... -joke.html
Elvis Costello made a surprise visit to MSG, with a killer version of "Pump It Up" followed by "Radio Radio" , and "Peace Love and Understanding ".

Teaching headliners, The Strokes, how its done. Its as if the past 30 years never passed. Elvis Costello is back and he is stronger than ever. A hard rocking full throttle mini set of 'Old Time' Costello, right out of nowhere.

Abruptly leaving the stage with "Happy April Fools Day"

Costello claimed to be playing an 11pm gig at Grammercy tonight. Wonder if thats another prank?

Well considering he just came from The Irving with Secret Sister, maybe Costello is making the rounds

Amazing, Unreal and Awesome!
Is this the first time Elvis was trending on Twitter?
Attachments
trending.jpg
trending.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 27619 times
And No Coffee Table

...and Elvis joined the Strokes for "Taken for a Fool."
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Setlist
On 11:15