APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: APRIL 1 - NEW YORK SHOW - GRAMERCY THEATRE

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Wow--rocking good time! Unfortunately I had the guy from the El Mocambo record yelling in my right ear the whole show. Woooooooooo!!!!! Clubland!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooooooo!!!!!

Sigh...
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I Hope You're Happy Nowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz-rx5O7YGs
Here's where us unfortunate Seattle-area fans just hit refresh on youtube for a little while. :?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/04/02/el ... e-its-1979

Elvis Costello, Facing 57, Rocks Like It’s 1979

Roger Friedman
Elvis Costello and two Attractions–Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas–with one Imposter, Davey Faragher–put on the hottest, tightest rock show anyone’s seen in a long time on Friday night. To warm up, Costello jumped into the Secret Sisters show at Irving Plaza, did a song, then went to Madison Square Garden to do three numbers opening for The Strokes as a surprise. Then the piece de resistance, the big show at the Gramercy Theater, a former movie house that is really a shithouse of a rock club. It was like old times. Three performances on April Fool’s Day, just like in 1979.

The quartet kicked in right at 11pm, with a floor full of adults standing like sardines as if it were the Ritz circa 1979, and a bunch of less intrepid folk in seats angled upward in what used to be the movie theatre’s balcony. It is a strange place, where dried food is stuck to the seats. It was perfect. Costello and cohorts just whipped into “I Hope You’re Happy Now” and “Uncomplicated” from 1985 like they were slicing down trees with electric saws. “Possession”– 1979-80– with the great verses:

“Now you’re sending me your best wishes/Signed with love and vicious kisses/You lack lust, you’re so lacklustre/Is that all the strength you can muster
Possession”
and
“So I see us lying back to back/My case is closed my case is packed
I’ll get out before the violence/Or the tears or the silence
Possession”

There were almost no breaks during the two hour set, not even for applause. Three songs from “Trust” (1982) made cut for this one off show before Costello and band start a tour that brings them back to New York in late May: “Clubland,” “Luxembourg,” and “New Lace Sleeves” (“good manners and bad breath will get you nowhere”). “Radio Radio”–ever so prescient 30 years ago–was rapturous. “Watching the Detectives,” “So Like Candy,” “Beyond Belief,” “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea,” “Oliver’s Army,” “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding,” “Pump it Up”– were each refreshed and energized by the band’s attack, Steve Nieve’s punctuating keyboards embroidering melodies he knows by heart, and so on. Even the less well known songs–”American Gangster,” “Stella Hurt,” “Monkey to A Man,” “National Ransom” came alive, Special guests were the Secret Sisters, who helped Costello on “Josephine.”

In the audience: Costello’s famous wife, Diana Krall, and Mary Louise Parker, a smattering of friends and family, and some shocked young people raised on Britney, NSync, and Justin Bieber who should heed these words: “Radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools trying to anesthetize the way that we feel.”

A classic night. Send more. We need it.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Gorgeous! He appears to be wearing tighter than usual trousers to fit in with The Strokes!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

elvicos01 wrote:Setlist
On 11:15
I Hope your happy Now
Possession
Uncomplicated
Doll Revolution
Less than Zero
American Gangster Time
Radio Radio
New lace sleeves
Turpentine
Watching the Detectives
Little Triggers
So Like Candy
Chelsea
Oops. Started Wrong song
Beyond Belief
Clubland
Stella Hurt

Encore 12:20
Solo
W/ secret sisters
A Slow Drag with Josephine
Why don't you Love Me
W/imposters
Luxembourg
The Spell That You Cast
Olivers Army

Encore 12:40
National Ransom (alt)
Monkey to Man
Pump it Up
Peace Love Understand
1:00
Holy Fuck. If I get that setlist in Sydney I will die.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

i'm pretty sure the "oops, wrong start" was a Red Shoes false start. could be wrong. we'll have to check audience recordings. ;)

either way, best costello/imposters show i've ever seen! hope the beacon shows live up to the expectations they set for us tonight. i, personally, have no doubts.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

got to share a little sad news...my tape has an unusual "rumble" effect throughout despite an actual very good sound...WTF? hopefully, digital doc's is all fine! nice seeing jmm and crew once again. thanks jack for my hard ticket stub. let me see what i can do to rectify the "rumble" and i'll mail monday regardless. it should still remain listenable/enjoyable. best, ba
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

monkey2man wrote:i'm pretty sure the "oops, wrong start" was a Red Shoes false start. could be wrong. we'll have to check audience recordings. ;)

either way, best costello/imposters show i've ever seen! hope the beacon shows live up to the expectations they set for us tonight. i, personally, have no doubts.
I couldn't tell what song they were starting. I did enjoy the good laugh the Pete and Steve had. Elvis followed that "its been over a year since we played together".

Reminded me of New Years Eve 1981, when he started 'A Good Year for the Roses' when the band 'Psycho'.

Off now to take care of the kids, will be back later with a review, and the mrs. got some good video as well.
Why are we racing to be so old?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

not sure until i get to that point in my tape eco, but i believe it was simply the NEXT song: clubland! i'll try to figure later. as you wiki'ed the setlist, please tack on the kids are alright to end the night! and yes, reminded me also of 12-31-81 country song flip flop...except THAT was E singing the wrong song lyrics to the "other" tune! cheers, b
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Great show last night. Small venue and a very high energy crowd. And a setlist to die for - Luxembourg on the George Jones guitar that he hasn't played since 1978? are you kidding me??

The night was slightly ruined, however, but an EPIC FAIL on my part. My recording sucks - the levels were not properly adjusted by me at the beginning (damn security guys got me off my game). The vocals are distorted to the point where it is unlistenable and unfixable. At this point I'm relying on ba's old fashioned cassette tape to provide everyone with evidence of this unvelievable night.

Those YouTube clips are great.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

wow...another blow to the empire! well, mine WILL be listenable, tho' NOT quite SONY'S best work. we'll just have to cope with the slight rumble unless another taper was in the house. i can't pinpoint why it occurred. i do think it is bass related and i was on davey's side...yet, it remains inexplicable to define. damn doc, yet another reason for me to always go cassette especially when you are at the same show. ANALOG FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:wow...another blow to the empire! well, mine WILL be listenable, tho' NOT quite SONY'S best work. we'll just have to cope with the slight rumble unless another taper was in the house. i can't pinpoint why it occurred. i do think it is bass related and i was on davey's side...yet, it remains inexplicable to define. damn doc, yet another reason for me to always go cassette especially when you are at the same show. ANALOG FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
No, digital rulz ba. It was the user's fault, not the equipment. Anyway, I'm confident a good recording will emerge from that crowd sooner than later.

What a show!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://tasteofcountry.com/secret-sister ... -new-york/

Secret Sisters Joined Onstage by Elvis Costello at New York’s Irving Plaza

As if opening for an attentive crowd at an at-capacity Amos Lee gig isn’t impressive enough, last night (April 1) country newcomers the Secret Sisters got an introduction most musicians could only dream of: “Welcome to the stage … the Secret Sisters!” Elvis Costello — certainly a surprise attendee, nevermind emcee — said at New York City’s Irving Plaza.

Costello, who’d nonchalantly strolled onstage at the Sisters’ set-time start and rolled straight into ‘A Slow Drag With Josephine’ (a track off of his 2010 release, ‘National Ransom’), then warmly welcomed the girls to join him.

The Secret Sisters, real-life Alabama-born sisters Laura and Lydia Rogers, bathed the room in southern charm. Their ’50s-inspired curls, heels and dresses were just finishing school touches to the lovely yet heart-wrenching harmonies that filled the space as they launched into a cover of the Hank Williams classic ‘Why Don’t You Love Me’ alongside Costello. This happened at 8PM, and BrooklynVegan reports via Twitter that by 8:45PM, Costello had hopped on uptown to Madison Square Garden for drop-in No. 2 of the night: a short set at rockers the Strokes’ show.

No matter — the Sisters, who released their T Bone Burnett-produced self-titled debut last year, can hold their own. “I don’t know how we’re gonna top that off, but I guess we’ll give it a shot,” Laura said, and they did, taking on George Jones‘ first charted single, ‘Why Baby Why,’ and making us believe it when they sang the lyric “I got a crow I wanna pick with you.”

“You’re a lively bunch,” Laura said mid-set, commenting on the onlookers’ energy, before laying on the sugar: “We always are so happy to play New York City because of crowds like you. You’re just so sweet and kind to us.”

Other Secret Sisters set highlights included their own original songs, the pretty ‘Tennessee Me’ (recently accompanied by their very first music video) and the not-yet-released ‘River Jordan,’ plus a cover of Patsy Cline’s ‘Leavin on Your Mind’ — which proud older sister Laura let Lydia take lead on — and another Hank Williams tune, ‘Your Cheatin’ Heart.’

They closed the act with a cover of Willie Nelson‘s ‘Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain’ and gospel mainstay ‘In the Sweet By-and-By’ before leaving the show to Amos Lee, whom the good-natured Secret Sisters referred to as “the bomb-dot-com.”
jardine

Post by jardine »

thanks to all concerned for all the vids. i just watched oliver's army and loved it, but there was a creepy feeling involved as well. I'm finding in retrospect that I put more stake into National Ransom than i had even imagined, so seeing this felt a bit like a oldies show, like resignation and defeat--and this is not at all a comment on the quality of the performances or the thrills of being there. It's something more personal than that, i expect.

I know i'm "projecting" here, but it is the same odd feeling of hearing about the spinning wheel coming back. Basically, that i thought something more substantial had "happened" with n.r. that didn't happen like i'd fantasized or projected. very odd and blurry, like I expected a future less passed/past.

might have to do with facing a spring snow storm of 30cm. in the rocky foothills in early april. And in any case, it makes me all the more in love with our boy and these weird and unanticipated ventures. I've been asking myself what the hell is going on now with e.c. since 1977 and don't expect it to and hope it never stops.
History History

Post by History History »

Thanks for all the video clips; it's much appreciated. I share some of Jardine's concerns about Elvis turning into a nostalgia act but I suppose that what gets the best audience reaction. If Elvis does play London, I'd love the show to be weighed in favour of more recent stuff. I always love it when Elvis says: 'Do you want to hear a new song?' I can't believe that there's a collective shiver down the audience spine when EC launches into Pump It Up etc..
docinwestchester

History History wrote:I can't believe that there's a collective shiver down the audience spine when EC launches into Pump It Up etc..
No, but...the man is such a consumate performer it doesn't really matter. And when he sits down with that George Jones guitar that he hasn't played since he got it in 1978, then plays a rockabilly version of Luxembourg, nostalgia becomes a good thing. Plus one of the other highlights for me was the EC & I's version of National Ransom (No. 3 (?)). Fantastic rock and roll version of the much maligned song.
migdd

Post by migdd »

jardine, I understand your concerns about EC "backsliding"; however, starting months-long tours with a solid setlist of familiar material is fairly common for EC and the Imposters. As the tour progresses, I expect that the repertoire will expand over the coming months and the setlists will become more varied and diverse (and the shows much longer).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:got to share a little sad news...my tape has an unusual "rumble" effect throughout despite an actual very good sound...WTF? hopefully, digital doc's is all fine! nice seeing jmm and crew once again. thanks jack for my hard ticket stub. let me see what i can do to rectify the "rumble" and i'll mail monday regardless. it should still remain listenable/enjoyable. best, ba

ANALOG UPDATE! ah, the self correcting technological wondrous repair techiniques of ba continue as, believe or not...the fookin' bass dilemma is barely audible at the computer as i sit transferring from CASSETTE to CD. you WILL LOVE this recording!!! i defy anyone to say digital outdoes this....ELVIS himself would prefer it. TRUE SOUND OF THE ROOM!!! and don't worry about inordinately hearing the singing dorks behind me as they would sound upon a digi rec. 8) 8) 8)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

man...aren't there vids of oddball songs: triggers, ransom, lux, poss, candy....or the three guitar blowouts turp, stella, spell?