In praise of Momofuku

Pretty self-explanatory
the_platypus

Re: In praise of Momofuku

Post by the_platypus »

"Strawberry Jam" is a brilliant album by Animal Collective.
History History

Post by History History »

Raspberry Jam by Carole King is also good.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I prefer Strawberry Fields.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I prefer Strawberry Flats.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I prefer Flats Domino.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

This is my kind of thread.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Poor Deportee wrote:I'll just pipe in here to say that nobody should ever apologlize for offering opinions, even strong opinions. I do tire of the whole idea that we are supposed to preface all our remarks with some self-effacing redundancy, like 'this is only my opinion...' blah blah blah. Anyone who feels personally threatened because someone doesn't share their opinion is simply too sensitive.

Totally agree. I would definitely neither read nor even write on this board if this would be the rule. And if I had searched for an artist easy to like I could have done much more easily than with EC...so that's not what I long for, to make this clear.

[img]
Christopher Sjoholm wrote: The point being that it is disturbing that someone would take my dislike of a particular song or album so personally as if it were a slap or insult against them for liking the same song or album. You and others have taken my feelings about a song and personalized it as if I had taken aim and knocked you for liking for it.

I didn't feel knocked personally because you are less awestruck by Song with Rose than I am, I can very happily live with that. What struck me was that you, completely unnecessary imo, personalized other people's opinion by dismissing it with your classifying line "as if they were so insecure in their own musical choices and likes taking it as a slap against there own likes and dislikes".
That's what I thought of being pretentious and very unnecessary and, one more, way below your usual class.

[img]
Christopher Sjoholm wrote: I respect yours; hopefully you will continue to respect mine.

You bet!
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Couple of points to make on this topic, as I have read through the many posts here

First, I find this board and the many fine posters here to be very informed and quite insightful---I enjoy all the reflections about MLAR, GH...and so...so thatnk you all for your very personal (and in my opinion) well-crafted thoughts. I do not see people on this board making the usual assinine comments that so many boards can accomodate to any individual with a keyboard and internet access.

As for this topic, I think this album is under-appreciated...and has for me gone through various stages of getting to know. Having hear many of the songs in acoustic format prior to the release (based on his tour with Dylan in 08), it was hard to re-frame them for me...oh, and the live fidelity of the audience recordings also hampered my initial hearing of them once on album. Unlike the old days, when likely my first hearing was as the artist intended on an album, placed in a certain spot, there is a matter of re-learning for me here, as I place AGT to the 07 imposters club tour (sound and arrangement), Rose to the acoustic and so on....

I am hoping that Stella, AGT, Turpentine(!) make it onto the spinning songbook----their live versions on Friday were highlights of a very top-shelf show....possibly additional songs form this lp will stand-out as well.

To close in a manner that bookends my opening comment on the level of discourse on this board, let me add that music---and indeed Elvis music---is a personal journey that weaves in-out of our lives and is something that both underlies our experiences and punctuates them. As someone who grew up in NYC in late 70s, there are certian filters by which i experience his material, and certain touchstones that I unconsciously recognize in certain songs, sounds and lyrics---many of which are not intended by the artist---but it is me melding that music into my world. So, I for one, appreciate the comments made; since agree or disagree, i am gaining other insight into songs or albums I had not previously thought about (as an example, I recall someone mentioning Spell That You Cast as the best song on NR----wasn't my opinion on first number of hearings---taking their thoughts to mind, I have approached the song with more pateience and am seeing the points made by the poster...and was frankly blown away with it live Friday---while still not my favorite, it is more satisfying now)

So, I see your comments, as long as they are thoughtful and authentic, to be a gift that makes my experience more the rewarding, and as we each have unique life experiences, valid and respected

Cheers---all!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

History Repeats wrote:Couple of points to make on this topic, as I have read through the many posts here

First, I find this board and the many fine posters here to be very informed and quite insightful---I enjoy all the reflections about MLAR, GH...and so...so thatnk you all for your very personal (and in my opinion) well-crafted thoughts. I do not see people on this board making the usual assinine comments that so many boards can accomodate to any individual with a keyboard and internet access.

As for this topic, I think this album is under-appreciated...and has for me gone through various stages of getting to know. Having hear many of the songs in acoustic format prior to the release (based on his tour with Dylan in 08), it was hard to re-frame them for me...oh, and the live fidelity of the audience recordings also hampered my initial hearing of them once on album. Unlike the old days, when likely my first hearing was as the artist intended on an album, placed in a certain spot, there is a matter of re-learning for me here, as I place AGT to the 07 imposters club tour (sound and arrangement), Rose to the acoustic and so on....

I am hoping that Stella, AGT, Turpentine(!) make it onto the spinning songbook----their live versions on Friday were highlights of a very top-shelf show....possibly additional songs form this lp will stand-out as well.

To close in a manner that bookends my opening comment on the level of discourse on this board, let me add that music---and indeed Elvis music---is a personal journey that weaves in-out of our lives and is something that both underlies our experiences and punctuates them. As someone who grew up in NYC in late 70s, there are certian filters by which i experience his material, and certain touchstones that I unconsciously recognize in certain songs, sounds and lyrics---many of which are not intended by the artist---but it is me melding that music into my world. So, I for one, appreciate the comments made; since agree or disagree, i am gaining other insight into songs or albums I had not previously thought about (as an example, I recall someone mentioning Spell That You Cast as the best song on NR----wasn't my opinion on first number of hearings---taking their thoughts to mind, I have approached the song with more pateience and am seeing the points made by the poster...and was frankly blown away with it live Friday---while still not my favorite, it is more satisfying now)

So, I see your comments, as long as they are thoughtful and authentic, to be a gift that makes my experience more the rewarding, and as we each have unique life experiences, valid and respected

Cheers---all!!
you've hit a GRAND SLAM HR with this post HR!!! well said all around. i fully understand your points regarding learning the song via LIVE shows before STUDIO releases appear! i was not in that fold for these MOMOFUKU songs as i did not get to any of the opening slots on dylan tour shows. however, over the years MANY songs were known by me from LIVE sets/boots before they were officially released. re-appreciating them anew is a must in these instances. but AMEN to more from this LP being played this year. most especially as it DID never indeed get a full tour proper with that summer spent opening for the police. stella and turpentine were indeed two of the best played tracks this past friday. so, how cool would GO AWAY, SONG WITH ROSE, DRUM & BONE, MY THREE SONS, FLUTTER & WOW and do NOT forget NO HIDING PLACE have sounded if played friday???? i say MAY 2011 will bring out all these and many more rarely played gems. cheers, ba
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Thanks, BA. Funny thing is that before the easy availability of bootlegs over the past 20 years, I often would hear a new EC song live but by the time the record came out didnt recall it---such was the case for me going to Palladium 12/31/81 show---he played IB songs...but by the time the album came (summer 82) out I hadnt recalled the versions I heard live...to some extent same with ATUB live (thanks for your "tapes" of those memorable August 95 Beacon shows)...as with the intervening Costello/Nieve shows before the LP release in 96 they were entirely different songs when the LP came out and reflected the full band sound of 12 months earlier...

I had forgotten the Police opening slot...good call there...

All great stuff--- we are truly fortuante to be fans of an artist that gives us much to think about, enjoy and revisit, as I am with Momofuku via the prompting of this thread