The Return Of The Imposter: National Ransom No.2

Pretty self-explanatory
jardine

Re: The Return Of The Imposter: National Ransom No.2

Post by jardine »

i'm still preferring the second version, simply because it is interesting to listen to.

n.r. 1 is, i find, simply ok, but i don't smile in anticipation when it starts or lean in to listen. it just goes by mostly, except for the police siren iamthewalrus ribot notes at the end.

there is something terribly foreboding about that five note repeated line at the beginning of #2. it has something of the quality of stations of the cross and church underground, somehow, something of benghazi references later in all these strangers...hmm.

in other words, it is interesting to think about what you might think of the cd as a whole if version two had started it...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I know this is drifting from the point but if a gopher is reading this for Elvis' benefit, I know a s---hot bass player who'd gladly tour the UK backing Elvis for just a free copy of each live show :lol: :lol:
cwr

Post by cwr »

It would be amazing if he decided to run the whole album through the wringer like this. Oddball solo multi-instrument versions of every song, deconstructing them as he pleases, with little regard for what anyone thinks of 'em.

My affection for NR No. 2 has gone up a little each time I've heard it.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

cwr wrote:It would be amazing if he decided to run the whole album through the wringer like this. Oddball solo multi-instrument versions of every song, deconstructing them as he pleases, with little regard for what anyone thinks of 'em.
This is a fantastic idea!!! Love it! :D
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
jardine

Post by jardine »

yes! there is a terrible darkness under all these songs, or most anyway...bell, king, church, watson, jimmie, second n.r., strangers, even hung hte moon. the beautiful playing is almost holding something terrible at bay that runs through this c.d. that would make for an interesting "remix"--there are so many storms and strangulations, betrayals and underhandedness...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ypsilanti wrote:
cwr wrote:It would be amazing if he decided to run the whole album through the wringer like this. Oddball solo multi-instrument versions of every song, deconstructing them as he pleases, with little regard for what anyone thinks of 'em.
This is a fantastic idea!!! Love it! :D
Kinda like the Bill Frisell album of PFM?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Kinda like the Bill Frisell album of PFM?
Egads. More like what I hoped that album would be like. (Sorry, I just never, never really cared for that project, and it was one I looked forward to for a long time as it was delayed...)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It did absolutely nothing for me. Nor did the 1996 remixes on the 4 singles in July nor did the remixes which were the vogue in the 1980s.

But then I am a pretty one dimensional kind if guy!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?