EC in London (Meltdown Festival), June 20

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: EC in London (Meltdown Festival), June 20

Post by bronxapostle »

okay 2:30 p.m. in NY....should i be looking for a UK setlist already???
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Fab show.
Elvis said he "just finished recording an album" and it's produced by T Bone Burnett.
Richard Thomson joined in for several numbers at the end.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Holy Jesus Christ! That was something else...

Hope someone taped it. I was dead centre, second row, straight in front of Elvis - could've reached out and touched him during 'Slow Drag With Josephine'.

SET LIST (from the actual set list - will indicate any variations)

Either Side of the Same Town
Brilliant Mistake/Veronica (played both)
Down Among The Wine And Spirits
I Hope You're Happy Now (don't think he played this)
Condemned Man
Good Year For The Roses/Indoor Fireworks (played Roses)
She's Pulling Out The Pin (not played)
Everyday I Write The Book
Bedlam/The Stations of the Cross (played both)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain (was played after Josephine)
A Slow Drag With Josephine (unplugged, sitting on the foot of the stage)
Watching the Detectives
Radio Sweetheart (played, with Jackie Wilson Said tag but no speech as the audience did the BVs unprompted)
God's Comic
The River In Reverse (not played - dammit! Wish I'd yelled out for it)
I Hope/In Another Room (played Alison instead, with Wind Cries Mary tag)

Sulphur to Sugarcane
My Three Sons
End of the Rainbow (w/ Richard Thompson on his daughters Strat)
Shipbuilding (w/ Richard Thompson. Unexpected and amazing)

One Bell Ringing (played later)
Oliver's Army (Not played)
PLU (w/Richard Thompson)

All Or Nothing At All (played earlier)
Man Out Of Time/I Hope/I Want You (not played)

What he actually played.

1. 45
2. Either Side of the Same Town
3. Brilliant Mistake
4. Veronica (played both)
5. Down Among The Wine And Spirits
6. Condemned Man
7. Good Year For The Roses
8. Everyday I Write The Book
9. Bedlam
10. The Stations of the Cross
11. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
12. A Slow Drag With Josephine
13. Watching the Detectives
14. Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said
15. God's Comic
16. Alison/Wind Cries Mary

FIRST ENCORE
17. Sulphur to Sugarcane
18. My Three Sons
19. End of the Rainbow (w/ Richard Thompson on his daughters Strat)
20. Shipbuilding (w/ Richard Thompson)

SECOND ENCORE
21. All Or Nothing At All
22. One Bell Ringing
23. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding (w/ Richard Thompson)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice work jeremy. glad you enjoyed. YOU shoulda taped it!!! :) :) :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

EC with Richard
Attachments
2010-06-20 003.jpg
2010-06-20 003.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 23695 times
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

a couple more
Attachments
2010-06-20 001.jpg
2010-06-20 001.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 23683 times
2010-06-20 002.jpg
2010-06-20 002.jpg (75.78 KiB) Viewed 23683 times
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Nice photos terry you had a great view.

Great show, Good For The Roses was top class as good a version as I've heard.

Can't say I'm over impressed by the new songs, but given time perhaps I will. Maybe I should listen to the versions on here but I always like to just get the new album and not know all the songs in advance. But that's only a slight blemish on what was otherwise an excellent show.

Saw Ross MacManus beforehand sadly time looks to be catching up on him but then again he is in his 80's

Roll on Sunday hope the weather is as nice at Hyde Park as it is today in London.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

yes the front row is always a good view!

Agre 100% about Good year/Roses. Not one of my favourite songs at all but EC's performance was sublime.

For those into celeb spotting, Janet Ellis and Tim McInnery (not together) were in the stalls.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Unless the front row is the Barbican where we got stuck behind the Celloist (?) and all we saw all night was her back ha ha.
millaa

Post by millaa »

I don't have the greatest quality mobile phone camera but had to grab this from 3rd row:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Glad everyone enjoyed the show. One man's great show is another's partial disappointment.

Perhaps because it was a Meltdown show I expected something a bit out of the ordinary. Sure we got Richard Thompson but End of the Rainbow and Peace, Love and Understanding were predictable (although there was a neat segue into Shipbuilding). I'd have loved Withered and Died or something else from RT's catalogue.

I hoped we would get a real trawl through Elvis' back catalogue and some possible obscurities but we got a setlist which has been pretty familiary to recent shows and probably similar to what I'll see over the next few days.

There was certainly nothing wrong with Elvis' performance and Good Year for the Roses was excellent but again, not a surprise for London (I was wondering if he'll do Psycho in Glasgow).

I think I built it up too much. Or perhaps being a father has brought out the grumpiness in me!!!

I am off to Birmingham now. Expect a review tomorrow when I'll take it all back!

Great meet up in the pub beforehand by the way.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
blureu

Post by blureu »

Just noticed the "full show available" from "bootmaster2009" on those youtube links. Video bootleg? You got to be kiddding. :evil:
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Judge Holden wrote:Guardian review (Tim Adams):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ju ... o-meltdown

Losing none of his edge ... Elvis Costello at Meltdown 2010.
4 stars

As Father's Day gifts go, it would be hard to imagine a better present than the one offered by Elvis Costello to his dad: the perfect concert at the Festival Hall. Elvis dedicated his second number Veronica (the song about his paternal grandmother that he wrote with Paul McCartney) to his old man, the 83-year old former big band singer, who was in attendance, and then proceeded to demonstrate all that he had learned in the 50-odd years since they first sang together.

In recent years, since his unhappy performance at Glastonbury in 2005, Costello, long exiled in the States, has suggested that he had no real desire to play the UK, except on diversions like his Brodsky Quartet collaboration, but this looked and sounded like a change of heart. For two hours, with only a guitar (and, on a couple of tracks, Meltdown curator Richard Thompson) for accompaniment, he reminded everyone of the range and brilliance of his 35 years of songwriting, and the fully evolved soulfulness and attack of his voice.

Definitive, skeletal versions of Alison and Good Year for the Roses were sung as if his life depended on them. Watching the Detectives required fancy footwork on several guitar loops and carried all its homemade edge. There was a newish take on a song he claimed "to hate" – Every Day I Write the Book, revived here because, he suggested, his friend Ron Sexsmith has finally taught him how to sing it – and a clutch of standout tracks from his forthcoming album including Jimmie Standing in the Rain, about a cowboy singer down on his luck, and Slow Drag with Josephine, "how rock'n'roll used to sound in 1921", a ragtime tune that he sang sitting on the edge of the stage, with a whistle solo, and without an amp.

The whimsical interludes are reminders of Costello's understanding of his roots in music hall and cabaret traditions, but he hasn't lost his edge of righteous anger either. His vitriol is news that stays news. There was a wonderfully pointed version of God's Comic, in which priestly hypocrisies seemed fresh minted, and a raucous Shipbuilding, the Falklands-era complexities of which now foreshadow another defence review and another distant war. Perhaps Costello always sounds better under a Tory government, but on this form he seems capable of anything. The Meltdown invitation has led to a short UK tour this week; grab a ticket if you can and give him a proper prodigal welcome.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis Costello, Royal Festival Hall
Sunday, 20 June 2010
(Written by Bruce Dessau)

Elvis Costello: As sharp and as relevant as ever
In a recent posthumously published article on the Guardian's website, the late rock scribe Steven Wells fulminated about a crop of musicians who, he believed, were way past their sell-by date. Wells was a terrific journalist, positively brimming over with sulphuric wit and he had a point with Bob Dylan. But he was well wide of the mark when he suggested that Elvis Costello should have been given his P45 in 1979. If only Wells had been around for last night's magnificent solo Meltdown gig he might have revised his opinion.In fairness a lot of the peaks were drawn from Costello's first decade, but onstage the artist formerly known as Napoleon Dynamite was an explosive force to be reckoned with, working through pretty much every musical style in his two-hour set, from Nashville to reggae via swing, blues, soul and a sultry Sinatra croon on "All or Nothing at All". The only omission was jazz. I guess he leaves that to his wife, Diana Krall.

Things did look a little iffy initially. He arrived with no introduction and ploughed straight into his set, as if he was about to make the notoriously grumpy Van Morrison seem like sweetness and light. On "Veronica", Costello’s 1989 collaboration with Paul McCartney, his vocals seemed to be dashing about all over the place in search of the right key. But then suddenly he hit his stride and proceeded to deliver the perfect balance of classics and new songs. He looked dapper in his tight dark suit and fedora and his singing was soon equally sharp.

Despite sounding cheerful, despondency seemed to be a motif among his latest compositions. "Down Among the Wines and Spirits" from his 2009 album Secret, Profane and Sugarcane, was about slipping so far down the bill your name is just above the liquor license. A bluesy lament from his just-recorded next album, "Jimmie Standing in the Rain", told the story of a cowboy music singer playing the Lancashire clubs just as cowboy music was going out of fashion.

The philosophical 55-year-old might have been casting judgment on his own sales figures in these download days. As he ruefully observed after mentioning his new album, "I'm surprised you can still say 'record' without being taken away." But if he felt like a man out of time he was not going down without a fight. "Watching The Detectives" was breathtaking, as he contrived to play both the reggae rhythm and the film noir melody simultaneously thanks to a spot of nifty looping. "Radio Sweetheart" segued seamlessly into "Jackie Wilson Said", prompting a rapturous singalong. There was no sign of being on autopilot here.

It would have been nice to have seen Costello in full flow backed by The Attractions or his latest band The Sugarcanes, but it was an indication of the sheer muscularity of his back catalogue that stripped down to one man and his guitar they still retained their impact. “Good Year for the Roses”, from the 1981 album of country covers Almost Blue, was a fresh as a daisy and “Every Day I Write The Book” was Elvis at his literate pop best. It was hard to believe, as he claimed, that he had once fallen out of love with this sublime composition.

As the show reached its climax Costello was joined by Meltdown curator Richard Thompson for Thompson's bleak "End of the Rainbow" and "Shipbuilding", penned about the Falklands but still resonant today. The Costello of 2010 is a mix of raconteur, troubadour and political conscience – he recently cancelled gigs in Israel due to concerns about the Palestinian situation. But with his dad in the audience as a Father's Day treat this was a show that was never going to end on a downbeat note. The old Brinsley Schwarz feelgood stomper "(What's So Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding?" ensured that everyone left smiling. Maybe if the late Steven Wells was looking down on the RFH he might have grinned too.

'It was an indication of the sheer muscularity of his back catalogue that stripped down to one man and his guitar they still retained their impact'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I enjoyed the show, but it was far from blowing me way. Thought Bedlam was excellent.

Nice to meet all again, especially KH after a long break.
signed with love and vicious kisses
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Pix a little slow to appear on flickr , thought I would send link to group of meet up gang, got a little drunk got home a little late as pix will show eventually an enjoyable afternoon and evenings entertainment, sorry back to Spain Honduras.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletriggers/4721957594/
littletriggers
krm

Post by krm »

littletriggers wrote:Pix a little slow to appear on flickr , thought I would send link to group of meet up gang, got a little drunk got home a little late as pix will show eventually an enjoyable afternoon and evenings entertainment, sorry back to Spain Honduras.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/littletriggers/4721957594/
littletriggers
Looks great!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Now uploading my recording on dime : -Torrent #309795 Elvis Costello Royal Festival Hall, London 20 June 2010
A few recording problems, the recording is virtually in mono (though with only one artist on stage it's not a major drawback and levels were variable due to the quiet songs such as Slow Drag To Josephine which we didn't appreciate as much from row RR as we did from row B in Birmingham. Also had the human equivalent of a nodding dog (you know the one's you used to see in the back of people's cars) sitting in front of me twisting his head all evening and muttering to his companion and the occasional crackle of someone stamping on a plastic beer cup. Not as exciting a show as I had anticipated but Elvis more than made up for it in Birmingham - recording (partial sadly) of that to follow !
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Thanks for the posting the picture LittleTriggers - it is missing your smiling face though. It was nice to meet up with my fellow obsesives and getalifers (saddos to the English?) - I wish Sheep could have joined us, but glad we got to meet him briefly after the gig. A really nice surprise to see King Hoarse again, I had thought we were going to have to file him in the "whatever happened to...." folder. Also great seeing Sulky Lad - equipped with taping device and seemingly thousands of bootleg cds for the taking. I thought the young Belgian man in the well pressed suit was going to cry when SL told him he could take what he wanted. Always good to see So Lacklustre - who takes all my monologues in good stride. And I don't think I came close to convincing Verbal Gymnastics to let me name his forthcoming child - but I think he appreciated my efforts. Good to meet Man Out of Time as well!

I thought the show was ok, but I was really kind of far away. I enjoyed Veronica (never heard him do that live before) - Good Year for the Roses, Bedlam, Brilliant Mistake, Radio Sweatheart. Was a little frustrated looking at the set list that Verbal or Sulky had after the show and saw all the great songs he left out.

Looking forward to the next time we can all get together and have drinks without a concert getting in our way!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.