SPECTACLE APOLLO 2 debut!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: SPECTACLE APOLLO 2 debut!

Post by bronxapostle »

BlueChair wrote:I suspect they'd sooner air a 90-minute episode than split it into two airings. They also might be filming extra-long episodes on purpose for the purposes of online only content or DVD extras.
good thinking BC! FUCK...they may as well go for TWO hours! excuse my language, i'm rarely this moved to swear!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm excited too.

Anyone hear anything about other to-be-filmed episodes of Spectacle for the second season? I know Macca's name has come up a few times but I'm not sure his episode has been filmed yet. I'd also really like to see Brian Wilson and Randy Newman this season. We shall see.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i want RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then, PAUL WELLER and NICK CAVE!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

And what about the schedule for add'l tapings? Must be after the upcoming Australia tour--unless he's going to cram another "surprise" taping in this week...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Or tape an episode or two in Australia?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

bronxapostle wrote:i want RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then, PAUL WELLER and NICK CAVE!
Yeah! I'll second the wish for a Ryan Adams Spectacle! Wouldn't you love to hear EC sing 'Oh My Sweet Carolina'?

(and BA, are you up to your eyeballs in a pink vinyl nightmare?? ha, I'm 'littlesavage' on RAA...)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The Deliveryman wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:i want RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then, PAUL WELLER and NICK CAVE!
Yeah! I'll second the wish for a Ryan Adams Spectacle! Wouldn't you love to hear EC sing 'Oh My Sweet Carolina'?

(and BA, are you up to your eyeballs in a pink vinyl nightmare?? ha, I'm 'littlesavage' on RAA...)
i'm trying for y'all...especially a little savage of a delivery man!!! THINK PINK! i'd like a WINDING WHEEL duet and them working out IF I WAS A STRANGER and NOW THAT YOU'RE GONE as well! heck, we should be executive producers that night!
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

bronxapostle wrote:
i'm trying for y'all...especially a little savage of a delivery man!!! THINK PINK! i'd like a WINDING WHEEL duet and them working out IF I WAS A STRANGER and NOW THAT YOU'RE GONE as well! heck, we should be executive producers that night!
I know you're trying -- your efforts are much appreciated!! You've gone way above and beyond!

Wow, I'd never thought of EC and Ryan doing Now That You're Gone. I can't imagine anything much better than that.

(Though the thought of Elvis snarling his way through Wish You Were Here makes me giddy. Can't you just hear that? Um, maybe not, but I can!)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

EC and RA could do the WHOLE ROCK&ROLL lp and i'd be happy...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

BlueChair wrote:Or tape an episode or two in Australia?
Maybe a quick trip to New Zealand to film one with Neil Finn?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's kind of where I was going, pophead :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Only seven episodes??

http://www.ctvmedia.ca/ctv/releases/rel ... &yyyy=2009

Bono, The Edge and The Boss are Centre Stage In Second Season of SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH… on CTV and Bravo!

- Critically-acclaimed series lines up musical heavy weights such as Sheryl Crow, Lyle Lovett and Ron Sexsmith join host Elvis Costello in seven-part season -
- Special episode taped with Bono and The Edge at Canada’s historic Masonic Temple -

"...the appeal of "Spectacle" has much to do with Mr. Costello's intergenerational coolness."
(New York Times)

"Spectacle: Elvis Costello With... is a marvel….It's quiet, low key and utterly fascinating."
(Canwest News Service)

"Spectacle is an engaging showcase for a curious mind."
(TIME)

Toronto, ON (October 13, 2009) – With the ultimate backstage pass, fans of rock n’ roll can rejoice! CTV and Bravo! announced today the impressive list of guests ready to entertain in the second season of the critically-acclaimed music/talk series SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH… (broadcast premieres to be announced at a later date). Bringing together the best elements of talk and music television, the program invites viewers into an intimate conversation between host Costello and his guests, which are both legendary performers and promising new artists. This season’s line-up is full of musical masters, including members of one of the greatest rock bands of all time – Grammy® and JUNO Award winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Bono and The Edge of U2, who recorded their session with Costello in Toronto, Canada, at the celebrated historic musical venue, the Masonic Temple. Produced in part by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, the series features unprecedented pairings, group discussions and impromptu, historical performances.

Among the additional confirmed guests for the seven-part season are Grammy®, Golden Globe® and Oscar® winning New Jersey rocker Bruce Springsteen, multi-Grammy®, multi-platinum artist Sheryl Crow; Grammy winners Lyle Lovett, John Prine, Levon Helm and Allen Toussaint; Neko Case, Jesse Winchester, Ray LaMontagne, Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson, and JUNO Award winning Canadian Ron Sexsmith.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://pitchfork.com/news/36797-springs ... spectacle/

Last year, the Sundance Channel debuted "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With...", a music/interview show featuring Elvis Costello as the host. On the show, guests like Lou Reed, Jenny Lewis, She & Him, and Bill Clinton sat down to talk with the cantankerous new wave legend. In most cases, they also played music with him, though Clinton sadly didn't dust off the saxophone. Later this year, the show will return for its second season, with another impressive slate of guests.

The second season of "Spectacle" will start on December 9 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, and it'll run for seven episodes. This time around, the guests will include Bruce Springsteen, Bono, the Edge, Neko Case, Nick Lowe, Levon Helm, Richard Thompson, and Allen Toussaint, among others. Episodes of the show are taped in front of a live audience at Harlem's Apollo Theater and Toronto's Masonic Temple.

The first season of "Spectacle" is currently out on iTunes, with a DVD/Blu-ray release scheduled for November 10.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm so glad we have Pitchfork around to bring us the latest music news. :roll:

And here I thought they might be able to tell us something we didn't know about Season 2
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

The second season of "Spectacle" will start on December 9 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, and it'll run for seven episodes.
But this is kind of really bad news...at least for anyone who assumed, as I did, that the 2nd season would be a full 13 episodes, like the first.

So far there's been 5 episodes taped. If you include Paul McCartney, that means there's only one more left to go. If the Bruce episode turns into a 2-parter...then that's it.

Anyone (like me) who was hoping for another night of joy at the Apollo (or other venue) can pretty much forget it. It's disappointing--those tapings are so much much fun! In a way, even better than a concert. And while it's great to see on TV, being there live is a whole different thing.

And, of course, on TV...if the shows start at the beginning of December, they will be done before the end of January. What will one do during the soul-crushing months of February & March--until the start of the Baseball season?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ypsilanti wrote:
The second season of "Spectacle" will start on December 9 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, and it'll run for seven episodes.
But this is kind of really bad news...at least for anyone who assumed, as I did, that the 2nd season would be a full 13 episodes, like the first.

So far there's been 5 episodes taped. If you include Paul McCartney, that means there's only one more left to go. If the Bruce episode turns into a 2-parter...then that's it.

Anyone (like me) who was hoping for another night of joy at the Apollo (or other venue) can pretty much forget it. It's disappointing--those tapings are so much much fun! In a way, even better than a concert. And while it's great to see on TV, being there live is a whole different thing.

And, of course, on TV...if the shows start at the beginning of December, they will be done before the end of January. What will one do during the soul-crushing months of February & March--until the start of the Baseball season?

BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!! yes ypsi...METS fan i presume!
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!! yes ypsi...METS fan i presume!
Actually...INDIANS, as I am a transplanted Clevelander. Guaranteed heartbreak every year. However, of the local teams I would always go Mets. I could never follow that Empire of Evil up in your neighborhood, BA. :wink:

But it's going to be a LOOONG time until Pitchers & Catchers report. I was counting on Spectacle to keep me warm during those bleak, frozen months...
Bitchardo's Buddy

Post by Bitchardo's Buddy »

I haven't seen this posted anywhere (including the backstreets.com), but EC made a reference of how much work goes into the shows. He ultimately suggested that "this was it." Meaning, that this is the second and last season. I was 3rd row and he looked exhausted and made several comments about his voice being off all night.

He still played the s*it out of everything!

p.s. I can't believe he is playing "Black Ladder" in concert. I thought he was just kissing Bruce's ass going back to Patti Scalfa's solo albums. She has a great voice, but the albums are brutal.

p.s.s Anyone else that went to the Sprinsteen taping get that impression regarding the last season of Spectacle?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Spoke to EC backstage before the Enmore show last night - he confirmed that there's only 7 episodes in the upcoming season, and said he's had a ball doing it, but doesn't know how they'll be edited - said he doesn't get involved in that process. He said the Levon Helm et al episode was a special night.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Paul McCartney is playing a benefit in New York on October 26.

Could he be taping Spectacle while he's in town?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09295/1007247-388.stm

Forty years into his musical career, Richard Thompson is still vital, still a dark horse
Preview
Thursday, October 22, 2009
By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

(extract)

So, the recent Elvis Costello taping. Sounds like it was quite an affair.

It was quite fun. The particular evening I was on, I was on with Levon Helm and Allen Toussaint and Nick Lowe. We performed individually and at the end collectively. This was kind of a strange band that we assembled. But it was just fantastic to play with Allen, and to play 'The Weight' with Levon three feet behind you was pretty thrilling.

And Elvis Costello, had you played with him before?

I don't think we ever played on stage together. We used to play in the '80s together around Elvis' house. Not much since then. I think he's up there with the best. Extremely prolific, of course.

Did you recognize his talent when he first came around, about '77?

Oh, yeah. I thought his first album was amazing. At that time, everything new was perceived as punk, so the Pretenders were punk and Elvis was punk. And they weren't really. They were just slightly a rawer interpretation of popular music. Obviously he was very talented and he kind of rode in on the wave of punk. But it was always apparent to me that he was probably the most interesting person to come out of that time.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09295/10 ... z0Udp7t1IU
enlightend rogue

Post by enlightend rogue »

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Prine,Lovett,Lamontagne taping.Once the taping actually started I was suprised by how much EC talked over his guest's answers. I've been a huge EC fan for more than 30 years. I see him in concert as much as possible w/ any group of musicans he happens to be playing with.I also buy any product he puts out. I am also a Prine and Lamontagne fan and to a much lesser extent Lyle Lovett fan.
I treked all the way to the Apollo theatre from Long Island and waited for 2 hours outside only to be told that we were probably not be getting in for the taping. As it turned out we did get in and were given a 4 hour show of interviews and music.
Later as I was retrieving my car from the lot behind the Apollo me and my friend saw none other than EC walking to his bus from the Apollo.We kept our distance and thanked EC for a wonderful night of music and stood there dumbfounded as he completely blew us off. Now I realize he was just on the stage for 4 hours and was probably winding down . That being said I have met my share of music people in the same type of circumstance some better some worse. Now I wasnt expecting any thing more than a nod or a wave and maybe i'm being childish but it really put me off. To the point where i'm just now letting EC tunes back on my ipod and pc.He was so gracious to the audience onstage and moments later he came off very poorly. I am bummed that it changes the way I feel when I listen to his music. But that is just the way it is. I'm sure that there are many people who have had the total opposite experience i did.I know I will get over it but I didn't think I would go from big fan to Bonnie Bramlett in a matter of second's .
Anyway thanks for letting me vent and I hope from here on I can offer something more positve to this board than whine.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I treked all the way to the Apollo theatre from Long Island
Hi, Rogue. What town?
enlightend rogue

Post by enlightend rogue »

Lynbrook
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow! I'm in Freeport. We're practically neighbors...