Spectacle Season 2 - Dream Lineup

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Spectacle Season 2 - Dream Lineup

Post by BlueChair »

So I think we've discussed some of our "dream guests" before, should Elvis and the networks renew the series for a second season. But with twelve slots to fill, who would you like to see facing off with Elvis next season?

Here's my dream lineup, comprised of people who Elvis has either expressed an interest in, or simply those who seem like they'd be a good fit for TV and Elvis' show in particular.

1. Brian Wilson
2. Randy Newman
3. T Bone Burnett, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch
4. Joni Mitchell
5. Ron Sexsmith & Nick Lowe
6. Tom Waits
7. Lucinda Williams
8. Al Green
9. Stevie Wonder
10. Solomon Burke & Allen Toussaint
11. Bruce Springsteen
12. Neil Young
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Lester Burnham

Re: Spectacle Season 2 - Dream Lineup

Post by Lester Burnham »

I don't know why, but I'd really like to see Nick Cave on there, maybe do a duet of Cave's version of 'Stagger Lee'. (But not 'Where The Wild Roses Grow'!)
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Needs some fresh blood if they want to bump up the ratings - like an Amy Winehouse or M.I.A. or something - though I personally would rather see the likes of Joni, Leonard, Tom. Michael Tilson Thomas would be great if they do another classical show. Would also love to see a 'world music' episode, for lack of a better term.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Tom Waits would be amazing, and I'm sure he would be a top choice for EC.

Obviously, it would be great if he could get McCartney or Dylan (Bob this time), even though both of those choices have their potential pitfalls. McCartney is more than a little full of himself, and in the past he has tended to give off a kind of bullying big brother vibe when talking about his collaboration with EC. But they're friends, and they sound great singing together, and maybe they'd even play the great, unreleased "Tommy's Coming Home." And it would be fascinating to see what questions Costello would want to ask Bob, and what kind of strange, unexpected turns their conversation could take.

I'd bet he could land Radiohead, or at the very least Thom Yorke on his own, since he's a fan. And maybe if he times it right, he could get Leonard Cohen to do an episode, now that he's in touring mode...
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Ahh, another one I thought of: Richard Thompson.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

cwr - Agree with the L. Cohen interview. I'm still riding high (no, not drugs!) after seeing his performance this week in Oakland.

As for new Spectacle guests: What about Loudon Wainwright? He is cool.. What about Ramblin' Jack Elliott?

I'd take this how show online exclusively.. The long tail is where it's at.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

RYAN ADAMS!!!!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Didn't EC say in a recent interview that there were no plans for a season 2?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

That was LAST week.
scielle

Post by scielle »

MOJO wrote:cwr - Agree with the L. Cohen interview. I'm still riding high (no, not drugs!) after seeing his performance this week in Oakland.
It would be quite a coup if they manage to get him - not an easy interview to book, by the sounds of it. (see http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 10#p125110)
CBC had what they called a 'world exclusive' interview with him on Q yesterday - apparently it's the only one he's doing on this tour. You can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U

By the way - on today's Q Jian spent some time plugging both Spectacle and Secret, Profane and Sugarcane, and played Complicated Shadows.
jmm

Post by jmm »

I like the idea of Richard Thompson

how about Paul Simon
Bonnie Raitt
Beck
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
scielle

Post by scielle »

White Stripes & Loretta Lynn
Suzanne Vega
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Yes, Suzanne Vega.
Also, in no particular order:
Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Bruuuce, Bob, Bowie...
Jarvis Cocker and Oasis - britpop theme
Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde - rock legendesses
Sananda Maitreya aka Trence Trent D'Arby & Prince - on escaping record companies, etc
Billy Idol, Graham Parker - unique 80's survivors. Billy & EC can discuss early rn'r crooners.
Brian May, Axl Rose - not interviewed by EC but by Elton John, better suited to discussing rock stardom, excess & pomp & balladeering.
who else? Kylie Minogue & Robbie Williams?
Steely Dan & The Doobie Brothers (just like Steely Dan just without the urbane hipness factor, & with bluegrass & country influences - John McFee can demonstrate..)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A bit obvious , but Joe Jackson and Graham Parker , together or seperate, would make fascinating viewing.
migdd

Post by migdd »

johnfoyle wrote:A bit obvious , but Joe Jackson and Graham Parker , together or seperate, would make fascinating viewing.
Yes! I suggested this line-up a while back in another thread. Love to see a guitar/piano pull with these guys.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I was in a record/cd store and they had XM Radio on the other day. I heard the dj say that they had renew it.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

let's not forget the MODFATHER & THE MOZFATHER...
PAUL WELLER
MORRISSEY
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

In no order

Mose Allison
Merle Haggard
Little Richard
Dave Alvin
Mark E Smith
Bob Mould
Loretta Lynn
Amy Winehouse
Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby
Aretha Franklin
Eric Burdon
Stephen Stills & Bonnie Bramlett
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Boy With A Problem wrote:In no order

Mose Allison
Honestly, I thought he was dead. I don't know why, but it just seemed to me that he was. This is a huge surprise for me.
Boy With A Problem wrote:Stephen Stills & Bonnie Bramlett
And this was a huge laugh. :lol:
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Peter Tork, Mickey Dolenz, Michael Naismith, Davey Jones
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

how 'bout Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices fame. Both very prolific and knowledgeable fellows.
scielle

Post by scielle »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 9004.story

John already has a wish list for the future.

"There are obvious ones, like Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney," John said. "I would love to get Randy Newman on there as well. I think he's extraordinary, one of the true American heritage writers. Bob Dylan, of course, we would love, but he just doesn't do TV. And Prince, who I think is the most interesting person today as far as live performance goes. And Elvis Costello, we're going to have him on. I'm going to host that one."
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'd love to see EC defy the odds and book either Dylan or Prince for Season Two.

Dylan "just doesn't do TV," but didn't he used to show up on Johnny Cash's show, back in the 70s? Surely by now he must have enough of a sense of what Costello's about to realize that this would be the perfect forum for him to show up, play some music, talk shop with EC and avoid all the things he presumably hates about the TV interview process.

Prince might be trickier, considering that he was evidently still smarting from EC calling him "a bit of an Imposter" on the Tonight Show (back in the 80s) when he refused to allow EC to sing a portion of "Pop Life" in his 1997 Warner Bros. kiss-off song "The Bridge I Burned." But if Sting can show up after all the years of ridicule from Costello, maybe anything's possible....
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

B.W.A.Problem I would be surprised and impressed if Wreckless Eric appeared , Eric always gives the Evonne Fair impression ..... It Should Of Been Me, and seems to have a deep dislike for the man, well that's the impression I got after viewing a couple gigs by him in recent years .
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

1. Rihanna
2. Beyonce
3. Phil Collins
4. Take That
5. James Blunt
6. Britney Spears
7. Shakira
8. Madonna
9. Kid Rock
10. Noel Gallagher

:D Only joking,then again ratings would probably improve :(
BlueChair wrote:So I think we've discussed some of our "dream guests" before, should Elvis and the networks renew the series for a second season. But with twelve slots to fill, who would you like to see facing off with Elvis next season?

Here's my dream lineup, comprised of people who Elvis has either expressed an interest in, or simply those who seem like they'd be a good fit for TV and Elvis' show in particular.

1. Brian Wilson
2. Randy Newman
3. T Bone Burnett, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch
4. Joni Mitchell
5. Ron Sexsmith & Nick Lowe
6. Tom Waits
7. Lucinda Williams
8. Al Green
9. Stevie Wonder
10. Solomon Burke & Allen Toussaint
11. Bruce Springsteen
12. Neil Young
Well I can't argue there.Any of those names would be a real coup. Funny enough, like most of the guests on series 1, most are probably in Elvis' own personal phone book.

Seems like a natural progression for Elvis at this stage of his career, and a perfect vehicle to play whatever he likes to a wide audience. He's personable, articulate and with his vast musical knowledge he warmed to the role with each episode.
I'd like to see a tad more music played , but not so much that it becomes simply a music show. The balance in the Rosanne Cash and showbiz kids eps was about right. He could always get some tips from his friend Mr. Holland, who's been doing it for years. Not that there's much that needs changing. It's quite unique I think and different to Jool's show in that there's usually only 1 or 2 guests and it gets more in depth.

As far as guests are concerned, naturally it's about schedules but more importantly for many of em I imagine, is that they have a new record to promote... (That's the more cynical business end of it) rather than any hesitation in sitting in and having a friendly chat with Elvis.

Who else do I wanna see? Damn it Blue chair you've pretty near nailed my dream list.

McCartney? Bacharach?
Is George Jones still kickin around?
Bowie's awfully quiet these days...
Van Morrison (as long as he has a return flight to Belfast, and he vets all the questions)
Morrissey... always good for a laugh, even though he's up his own arse
Radiohead or the Killers could be interestin'
Billy Bragg,Wilco? Paul Weller?