My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019

Post by sweetest punch »

Volume 3 features I’ll Wear It Proudly, The Crooked Line, Indoor Fireworks and Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone?

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2019

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Top balcony wrote:I remember seeing Lou touring as 'They Call Her Natasha' around the turn of the century. The members of the band (4) heavily outnumbered the audience in the basement bar of Liverpool's Lyceum . But nevertheless she sang her heart out and it was a great gig.
We had a forum night out at Leicester Square Theatre when there were 12 people in the audience and a third of those were from this forum (and still are!).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.deviousplanet.com/client/my ... clementine

My Darling Clementine
To be released via JTM Music, Oct 30, 2020

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
WITH STEVE NIEVE
(The Imposters/The Attractions)

REIMAGINE THE SONGS OF ELVIS COSTELLO ON NEW ALBUM…

‘COUNTRY DARKNESS’
OUT 6 NOVEMBER 2020, VIA FRETSORE RECORDS

PRAISE FOR MY DARLING CLEMENTINE:

“King and Dalgleish have earned their place in the role call of great country duettists” UNCUT

"MDC mix country gloom with excellent musicianship and very fine songs.” The Guardian

"King and Dalgleish have re-invented the country duet - The mingling of these two voices is just heavenly” Mojo

As the nights draw in this winter, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE will present… ‘Country Darkness’.

A new album that throws a spotlight on 12 hidden gems from the Elvis Costello repertoire and vividly reimagines them in the duet’s definitive country-soul styling.

Released on 6th November 2020, the record will see the familiar husband/wife pairing of Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish joined by a very special guest in the form of The Imposters / The Attractions original: Steve Nieve, whose inimitable keys and wisdom radiate throughout the release.

Teasing the release with a new single, “The Crooked Line”, the folksy ‘Secret, Profane & Sugarcane’-era Costello number receives a ramped-up and electrifying rework that sets a tantalising precedent of what lies ahead on the upcoming LP.

As avid admirers of Costello’s rich back catalogue since his “angry young man” earliest days, ‘Country Darkness’ arrives as both a salutation to the man himself and something of a labour of love for My Darling Clementine. Drawing together a collection of three 4-track EPs for the first time (‘Country Darkness’ Vol. 1-3), the upcoming compilation sees the band host some of the lesser-known marvels from Costello's repertoire and explore their potential for something entirely different; and often darker... Reconfiguring the tracks with shades of Gothic Americana, Outlaw Country and heartbreaking Folk, the trademark vocal duet of King’s lugubrious baritone and Dalgleish’s tender siren-song unearth exquisite drama in Costello’s scriptures.

Offering a carefully considered and retrospective selection, ‘Country Darkness’ sees the band take-on a representative range of Elvis’ multiplicitous and ever-changing eras. From his work with the Attractions (“Stranger In The House”, “Too Soon To Know”, “Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone”), to the Imposters (“Either Side of The Same Town”); to cherry-picking some remarkable solo efforts (“The Crooked Line”, “I Lost You”), as well as reappraising a smattering of his inspiring collaborations with Emmylou Harris (“Heart Shaped Bruise”), Grammy-winner Loretta Lynn (“I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came”), Paul McCartney (“That Day Is Done”), legendary Nashville singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale (“Different Finger”), and of course, his long standing right-hand man: Steve Nieve.

Synonymous with the Elvis Costello sound, Steve Nieve has worked with Elvis since 1977, recording with him for the first time on his second album ‘This Years Model’. He was a founding member of The Attractions, and now, for over 20 years, one of The Imposters. A Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, Nieve has become one of the most in-demand session keyboard players in the world with his playing identifiable on countless classic records. Which now includes My Darling Clementine’s ‘Country Darkness’ LP. As the band sought Nieve’s seal of approval for the project, the legendary keyboardist went one better and offered his services to the project instead. Actively involved throughout working with the pair in song selections and arrangements, his unmistakable style is evident throughout.

Further formidable accompaniment on the record comes from Richard Hawley’s esteemed backing-band: Colin Elliott (bass/cello), Shez Sheridan (guitars) and Dean Beresford (drums). Having played on My Darling Clementine’s acclaimed second album: ‘The Reconciliation’, King and Dalgleish reunite with the trio to recapture the same magic here. Additional players on the record also include former Van Morrison and Nick Lowe horn players Matt Holland and Martín Winning.

Pre-produced at Steve Nieve’s home in France, the recordings were then transferred to Yellow Arch Studios in Sheffield where they were produced in collaboration between King and Colin Elliot (who has notably also produced Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker, Duane Eddy and more).

As something of an added bonus track, a completely original and previously unheard My Darling Clementine composition entitled “Powerless” is also included on the upcoming album release. Guest featuring Nieve’s playing and bearing Costello’s lyrical fingerprints, this smouldering country ballad between King and Dalgleish closes a collection of remarkable reinventions with a track that confirms there’s more than a little shared DNA between Costello and Clementine.

Speaking about the ‘Country Darkness’ project, Michael Weston King says: “Making these recordings took me back to my 19-year-old-self, out buying a copy of 'Almost Blue' during my lunch hour. It was Elvis and Steve’s making of that album which set me, and I think many others of my generation, off along a country path to discover more about this form of music previously only viewed with suspicion. For me it became something of a pilgrimage, a vocation, even a “career.” So this feels like the completing of a musical circle of sorts — to record a selection of some of mine and Lou’s favourite EC country songs with the added thrill of performing them with Steve”.

And on working with Steve Nieve on the project, Lou Dalgleish adds: “Reflecting on those early years spent listening to my hero of the keyboard [accompanying my personal king of songwriting, EC) was it any wonder that in the spring of 2019, when he sat down right next to me and began his incredible intro to our first collaboration, that I couldn’t sing for crying? Thanks Steve, for making this sulky girl very happy.”

The full tracklisting for ‘Country Darkness’ is as follows:

‘COUNTRY DARKNESS’: TRACKLISTING:

1. Either Side of The Same Town (from The Delivery Man)
2. I Lost You (from National Ransom)
3. I’ll Wear It Proudly (from King Of America)
4. Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone (from All This Useless Beauty)
5. The Crooked Line (from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane)
6. Heart Shaped Bruise (from The Delivery Man)
7. That Day Is Done (from Paul McCartney’s Flowers In The Dirt and I Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray by The Fairfield Four)
8. Different Finger (from Trust)
9. I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came (from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane)
10. Stranger In The House (from Taking Liberties)
11. Indoor Firework (from King Of America)
12. Too Soon To Know (from Brutal Youth)
13. Powerless (MDC Original)

My Darling Clementine are Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish. Since their debut in 2011 King and Dalgleish have released 4 albums, co- written a stage play/audio book with best-selling crimewriter Mark Billingham, played over 800 shows worldwide, and collaborated with a wide variety of major artists including Graham Parker, Kinky Friedman, The Brodsky Quartet, and Jim Lauderdale. They have picked up various awards for their heart-on-sleeve song-craft and heavenly harmonies. Earlier this year, Dalgleish and King returned to the studio to craft the follow-up to their 2017 country soul album ‘Still Testifying’.

Often known to cover his songs in their transfixing live sets, My Darling Clementine put into action the dream of a lifetime as they began working on the Elvis Costello-inspired ‘Country Darkness’ project in 2019. Initially released as a series of limited edition 12” EPs comprising four-tracks each, their first two volumes have proven sell-out successes; clocking up over 20,000 streams on Spotify and receiving global praise, with The Alternate Root (USA) hailing: “My Darling Clementine and the country songs of Elvis Costello are a match made in heaven.”

Their third and final EP in the series ( ‘Country Darkness: Volume 3’), will receive release on 23rd October as a limited edition vinyl exclusive (available for preorder from 25h September). A very limited and collectible 3 x EP box-set in a specially designed slipcase will also be available.

The ‘Country Darkness’ album (compiling all tracks featured across the EP Volumes 1-3, plus bonus track “Powerless”) will be available on CD and digitally on 6th November 2020, via Fretsore Records.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

They're playing a gig at Thornton Hough on the Wirral on 30th October.
Anyone else from here going to that?
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mydarlingclementinemusic.co.uk/ ... l-volumes/

COUNTRY DARKNESS VOL.3 (VINYL + SLIP CASE FOR ALL VOLUMES)

Country Darkness Vol. 3’ will be released on Oct 23rd 2020 on Fretsore Records via all digital services and on limited edition 12” vinyl.

The 12″ vinyl is now available for pre-order via the official MDC site

This is the 3rd and final instalment of the Country Darkness project, and like it’s predecessors, contains re-interpretations of 4 more Elvis Costello songs in collaboration with Steve Nieve.

Like Vol 1 & 2 , ‘Country Darkness Vol. 3’ was produced by Colin Elliot & MWK, and features Colin Elliot, Shez Sheridan and Dean Beresford.

The vinyl also comes with a free download code, and all copies ordered here will be signed and personalised as requested.

In addition Vol 3 comes with an added free bonus item, a beautifully designed, heavy card slip-case to store ALL THREE VOLUMES

Country Darkness Vol.3 – The Songs…

I’ll Wear It Proudly; The original ideal was to give this song the Boom Chikka Johnny Cash treatment but Steve heard it differently and suggested we try a “Bruce Springsteen – “Streets of Philadelphia” era approach.

The Crooked Line; Co-written by Elvis and T Bone Burnett this originally appears of the Secret Profane and Sugarcane album also produced by T Bone. We had hinted at our love of Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers on “Different Finger” from Vol 2 but we went full Sir Douglas Quintet on this. The EC original has an acoustic country bluegrass feel to it with fiddles and mandolins playing the instrumental passages but we went with Vox continental.

Indoor Fireworks; This song had been in Lou’s solo repertoire for years, performed simply, like this, just piano and voice. It recently returned to the MDC live set as duet, once we started on this project and has become a firm audience favourite so we just had to include it here.

Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone?; Arguably not a country or country soul song, it even becomes quite Brechtian by the end, and maybe not an obvious contender for remaking as a duet but it asks an import question in these current times.

“I can’t think of any act more appropriate to reappraise the extensive Costello songbook.”
Lonesome Highway

“My Darling Clementine and the country songs of Elvis Costello are a match made in heaven.”
The Alternate Root, USA
sweetest punch

Re: My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

DeathWearsABigHat wrote:They're playing a gig at Thornton Hough on the Wirral on 30th October.Anyone else from here going to that?
I would in normal times.....
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Just bobbing in to make a churlish observation: 'Why Can't a Man' is, for me, the most clunky and 'obvious' song on a political/social issue he's ever written. Far too preachy and holier-than-thou. You want an Elvis Costello song about how most men behave really badly to most women? 'Poor Fractured Atlas' is way more clever, observant and lyrically barbed than this.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://thefountain.eu/features/2020/10 ... ess-album/

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE: IT IS ARGUABLY THE MOST UPBEAT TRACK FROM THE COUNTRY DARKNESS ALBUM

My Darling Clementine are releasing a new album that throws a spotlight on 12 hidden gems from the Elvis Costello repertoire and vividly reimagines them in the duet’s definitive country-soul styling. Country Darkness will be released on 6th November 2020; the record will see the familiar husband/wife pairing of Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish joined by a very special guest in the form of The Imposters / The Attractions original: Steve Nieve. With news of that and new single The Crooked Line out already, The Fountain caught up with the duo to discuss the album in more depth.

TF: You have a new single out, what has the reception been like to The Crooked Line?

The reception has been wonderful thanks. It is arguably the most upbeat track from the Country Darkness album and in these somewhat negative times maybe it’s positivity has appealed to people. Old Costello fans love it too as it strongly features Steve Nieve’s amazing organ playing just like on those early Elvis Costello and the Attractions tracks.

TF: How would you sum up the track in one sentence?

The Crooked Line is three and half minute, Farfisa-organ-driven, guitar-twanging testimony to the joy of fidelity. It was co-written by Elvis Costello and T Bone Burnett and originally appears on the Secret Profane and Sugarcane album. We had hinted at our love of Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers on Different Finger from Country Darkness Vol 2 but we went full Sir Douglas Quintet on this. The Costello original has an acoustic country bluegrass feel to it with fiddles and mandolins playing the instrumental passages but we went with Vox continental.

TF: What is your plan for the remainder of the year, after this release, I note an LP?

Yes, the Country Darkness album comes out November 6th. and we are excited to hearing that it has been over a year in the making. Sadly no live shows due to the ongoing restrictions, which is hugely frustrating, but we will be busy promoting the new album the best we can via radio, press and social media. We will be making a new video soon for another song from the album. We are also back in the studio soon to start on the next record.

TF: Where is your favourite venue for playing live, where is the next place you look most forward to gigging?

We play so many shows in so many countries that is a hard call. Some favourite cities that immediately spring to mind are Liverpool, Glasgow, Belfast, Vienna, Utrecht, Bilbao, Madrid, Trondheim, Austin.

The next shows we have in the diary are March 2021 in Europe and then April 2021 in the USA. These are rescheduled American shows from April this year. They include a show at New York City Winery which we have played twice before. Lovely venue and looking forward to returning, We will also be playing our first show ever in West Virginia. A state we have not been to before. The show is in the town of Wheeling, West Virginia. Had never heard of it until we were booked. so really looking forward to that too but in a different way to NYC. Always good to play somewhere new. The thrill of the unknown.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.wiganto ... 8265%3famp

Borough music duo's new album reworks songs of pop genius

My Darling Clementine, from Tyldesley, are bringing out Country Darkness, which re-imagines 12 songs by Elvis Costello in the band’s country-soul style.

Made up of husband-and-wife pairing Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish, My Darling Clementine are huge fans of Costello’s impressive back catalogue of tracks, making this new project a real labour of love.

The duo are joined by special guest Steve Nieve, who has played with Elvis Costello since 1977, and are giving fans a sneak preview of their take on Costello’s music by releasing a single of their version of The Crooked Line.

Michael said: “Making these recordings took me back to my 19-year-old-self, out buying a copy of Almost Blue during my lunch hour.

“It was Elvis and Steve’s making of that album which set me, and I think many others of my generation, off along a country path to discover more about this form of music previously only viewed with suspicion.

“For me it became something of a pilgrimage, a vocation, even a ‘career’.

“So this feels like the completing of a musical circle of sorts, to record a selection of some of mine and Lou’s favourite Elvis Costello country songs with the added thrill of performing them with Steve.”

Lou added: “Reflecting on those early years spent listening to my hero of the keyboard accompanying my personal king of songwriting, Elvis Costello, was it any wonder that in the spring of 2019, when he sat down right next to me and began his incredible intro to our first collaboration, that I couldn’t sing for crying? It made this sulky girl very happy.”

My Darling Clementine have gone on a comprehensive trawl through Elvis Costello’s back catalogue to come up with the songs on Country Darkness, including elements of Gothic Americana, outlaw country and folk music in their versions.

The album covers Costello’s time in The Imposters and The Attractions as well as songs from his solo releases and collaborations with other leading artists.

Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame artist and keyboardist Nieve was initially approached to give his seal of approval to the covers project but he went one step further by offering to play on it.

Michael and Lou have also been joined on the album by Richard Hawley’s esteemed backing-band of Colin Elliott on bass and cello, Shez Sheridan on guitars and Dean Beresford on drums.

Horn players Matt Holland and Martin Winning, who have performed with the likes of Van Morrison, also feature on the project.

As an extra treat for fans the album is capped off with a new song by My Darling Clementine, a smouldering country ballad called Powerless.

The group released its debut album in 2011 and has produced four full-length releases, worked on a stage play and audiobook with crime fiction bestselling author Mark Billingham and played more than 800 shows worldwide.

Earlier this year the duo went into the studio to craft the follow-up to their 2017 country-soul album Still Testifying.

Country Darkness, by My Darling Clementine, will be released on November 6, with pre-orders now being taken.

Find out more at www.mydarlingclementinemusic.co.uk
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.w21music.com/post/my-darlin ... ness-vol-3

My Darling Clementine with Steve Nieve - Country Darkness Vol 3

With Elvis Costello about to release his 31st album next month with "Hey Clockface" what better time for My Darling Clementine to release the third and final installment of their "Country Darkness" series, where with the aid of long time Costello sidekick, ( King of the Keyboard Jungle, Imposter and Attraction and one time Peril of Plastic) ( Steve Nieve, they have not so much covered the songs of EC as given them new leases of life by turning them into duets which in many cases has brought the stories to life with a stunning new clarity.

The song choices have always been excellent, the bigger hits eschewed in favour of songs that would work best in these new scenarios. Occasionally there has had to be a little lyrical tweak to make the narrative work but at all times they have stuck to the spirit of the originals.

"I'll Wear It Proudly" comes from King Of America, an album which Steve played little part in first time round so it is fascinating hearing him playing this particular tune, keeping the familiar organ line but replacing it with a piano. That closing phase incidentally. originally played by Mitchell Froom was later to get reworked into the Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" an album he later produced. In terms of other covers there has only been one, a surprisingly straight live version performed by Radiohead, perhaps the lyrics are a little to personal and direct while at times also a little confusing for it to become any sort of standard, the third verse in particular is a little cryptic and open to interpretation and that talk of "nail my feet up where my head should be" is an uncomfortable image for many.

The transformation into a duet gives it the air of a telephone conversation or a hotel rendezvous, there is definitely a charged atmosphere and a frisson in the air for the opening verse.

"I hate these flaming curtains they're not the color of your hair
I hate these strip lights they're not so undoing as your stare
I hate the buttons on your shirt when all I want to do is tear
I hate this bloody big bed of mine when you're not here"

The second verse introduces elements of doubt into this relationship, with any Costello song there is no way of knowing quite how much time has passed between verses but when Michael sings
"Well you seem to be shivering dear and the room is awfully warm" there is hint that all is not well.
Things seem to have deteriorated more by verse 3 where Lou's opening line
"Were you arms and legs wrapped round more than my memory tonight?" refers to a relationship in the past tense.

The key lines from the chorus , which Michael and Lou sing with some pride as the song requires, have always seemed to be

"If they had a King of Fools then I could wear that crown
And you can all die laughing because I'll wear it proudly"

My Darling Clementine's version musically is quite basic, there are some relatively simple guitar and percussion with the telling parts being Steve's bautiful keyboard lines and the vocal performances that work to create the whole ambience.

"The Crooked Line" from "The Secret, Profane & The Sugarcane" was a heavy fiddle based song with an accordion and mandolin for good measure along with vocals from co writer T Bone Burnett and Emmylou Harris' It is a bit of good time knees up and one of Elvis's less wordier songs so not a lot of source material to reinterpret, more a case of maintaining that atmosphere and that My Darling Clementine certainly do. Steve Nieve is given free reign to work his magic, with one of the strangest upbeat keyboard sounds you'll ever hear. The sound is filled out with percussion designed to make you smile along with some clapping and a quirky guitar solo.

"If you were my life's companion
As it seems you may turn out to be
I'm contemplating
How I hope I'll find you waiting
At the very end of this crooked line"

My Darling Clementine do a great job of playing it straight as they sing along but surely must have broken down into fits of laughter on completion as it is sheer party time music if slightly whacky!.

From the unbridled joy of "The Crooked Line" we move to the emotional jolt that is "Indoor Fireworks" a second cut from "King Of America" with just Lou singing the first verse and chorus along to Steve's piano playing throwing us headlong into a scene of relationship break up.

"We play these parlour games
We play at make-believe
When we get to the part where I say that I'm going to leave
Everybody loves a happy ending but we don't even try"

It has always struck me as a brutally honest song from the first time I heard it. The title an obvious play on words and the chance for firework imagery to be utilised throughout. It is a tune that's been covered a few times Nick Lowe's oddly unsympathetic version very much a victim of the time it was recorded in, Kev Russells strangely overwrought version on a Costello covers album adds little, while Misen offered a synth laden version. even Lou Dalgleish herself has already had a go at it on her "Calmer" album however by changing it to a duet My Darling Clementine have had a fundamental effect on how things are viewed.

That opening beautifully sung and played comes from the viewpoint of someone who clearly acknowledges that this relationship is over whereas when Michael takes over for verse two, it's very much a reminiscence and that same sense of inevitability does not seem present, it clearly has always been a fractious relationship

"though the sparks would fly
I thought our love was fireproof
Sometimes we'd fight in public, darling
With very little cause
But different kinds of sparks would fly
When we got on our own behind closed doors"

The third verse plays out this strange dynamic with Lou taking the lions share of the lines reinforcing that things are at an end and while Michael only contributes one line "Don't think for a moment, dear, that we'll ever be through" it now has a hint of menace about it as well as failing to accept that this separation is permanent. It all adds up to a lot of drama unfolding, perfectly supplemented by Steve Nieve's simple, unfussy, yet elegant playing.

The ace in the pack is probably the most difficult one of the originals to better, "Why Can't A Man Stand Alone" from "All This Useless Beauty" was one of the stand out songs from the tour that accompanied the album. Each night the closing section with Steve pounding the keys and Elvis hitting exceptional notes would draw extended applause long after the song had completed.Originally intended for Sam Moore of Sam & Dave, My Darling Clementines version arguably has a more soulful feel than the original and also is subject to a Burt Bacharach style makeover which works an absolute treat

The three Volumes go to make up one full albums worth of material and as a special bonus we get a My Darling Clementine original in the shape of "Powerless". At first glance it seemed a little cheeky adding one of your own songs to mix in such exalted company, however listening to it soon sends such worries away. If anything it is a perfect embodiment of all the songs and styles that have preceded it complete with a gorgeous brass section.

It is quite simply a classic Country song, it feels almost as if it could have come from any era, and like many of EC's songs we are thrust into the action immediately as Lou quite splendidly opens

"I'm powerless, I cannot lie I must confess the truth, I'm leaving you and I won't be returning"

Michael takes the lead in equally fine fettle for the second verse and there follows an overheard telephone conversation, with who it is not exactly clear, there are a number of possibly suspects but the only snatch of conversation overheard are the words "I always knew that this wouldn't last". When Michael visits the chorus the words have changed

"I'm powerless you left behind such a mess .... no-one can fill the shoes that you walked away in"

The third verse sees a tour de force from Lou and the writing is immaculate as the reason for the decision to break up is explained. With the closing sections becoming a soulful masterpiece this track well and truly earns its place on the album.

Undoubtedly one of the great collaborations of 2020, that should satisfy fans of EC or My Darling Clementine a combination of the due reverence, being fans of the originals, mixed with the confidence and self belief that there was yet more to be extracted from these little gems. All given the perfect seal of approval by having the presence of Steve Nieve as a bridge between the two.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.bluestownmusic.nl/my-darlin ... -darkness/

My Darling Clementine – Country Darkness

As the nights draw in this winter, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE will present… ‘Country Darkness’

A new album that throws a spotlight on 12 hidden gems from the Elvis Costello repertoire and vividly reimagines them in the duet’s definitive country-soul styling.

Released on 6th November 2020, the record will see the familiar husband/wife pairing of Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish joined by a very special guest in the form of The Imposters / The Attractions original: Steve Nieve, whose inimitable keys and wisdom radiate throughout the release.

Teasing the release with a new single, “The Crooked Line”, the folksy ‘Secret, Profane & Sugarcane’-era Costello number receives a ramped-up and electrifying rework that sets a tantalising precedent of what lies ahead on the upcoming LP.

As avid admirers of Costello’s rich back catalogue since his “angry young man” earliest days, ‘Country Darkness’ arrives as both a salutation to the man himself and something of a labour of love for My Darling Clementine. Drawing together a collection of three 4-track EPs for the first time (‘Country Darkness’ Vol. 1-3), the upcoming compilation sees the band host some of the lesser-known marvels from Costello’s repertoire and explore their potential for something entirely different; and often darker… Reconfiguring the tracks with shades of Gothic Americana, Outlaw Country and heart breaking Folk, the trademark vocal duet of King’s lugubrious baritone and Dalgleish’s tender siren-song unearth exquisite drama in Costello’s scriptures.

Offering a carefully considered and retrospective selection, ‘Country Darkness’ sees the band take-on a representative range of Elvis’ multiplicitous and ever-changing eras. From his work with the Attractions (“Stranger In The House”, “Too Soon To Know”, “Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone”), to the Imposters (“Either Side of The Same Town”); to cherry-picking some remarkable solo efforts (“The Crooked Line”, “I Lost You”), as well as reappraising a smattering of his inspiring collaborations with Emmylou Harris (“Heart Shaped Bruise”), Grammy-winner Loretta Lynn (“I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came”), Paul McCartney (“That Day Is Done”), legendary Nashville singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale (“Different Finger”), and of course, his long standing right-hand man: Steve Nieve.

Synonymous with the Elvis Costello sound, Steve Nieve has worked with Elvis since 1977, recording with him for the first time on his second album ‘This Years Model’. He was a founding member of The Attractions, and now, for over 20 years, one of The Imposters. A Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, Nieve has become one of the most in-demand session keyboard players in the world with his playing identifiable on countless classic records. Which now includes My Darling Clementine’s ‘Country Darkness’ LP. As the band sought Nieve’s seal of approval for the project, the legendary keyboardist went one better and offered his services to the project instead. Actively involved throughout working with the pair in song selections and arrangements, his unmistakable style is evident throughout.

Further formidable accompaniment on the record comes from Richard Hawley’s esteemed backing-band: Colin Elliott (bass/cello), Shez Sheridan (guitars) and Dean Beresford (drums). Having played on My Darling Clementine’s acclaimed second album: ‘The Reconciliation’, King and Dalgleish reunite with the trio to recapture the same magic here. Additional players on the record also include former Van Morrison and Nick Lowe horn players Matt Holland and Martín Winning.

Pre-produced at Steve Nieve’s home in France, the recordings were then transferred to Yellow Arch Studios in Sheffield where they were produced in collaboration between King and Colin Elliot (who has notably also produced Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker, Duane Eddy and more).

As something of an added bonus track, a completely original and previously unheard My Darling Clementine composition entitled “Powerless” is also included on the upcoming album release. Guest featuring Nieve’s playing and bearing Costello’s lyrical fingerprints, this smouldering country ballad between King and Dalgleish closes a collection of remarkable reinventions with a track that confirms there’s more than a little shared DNA between Costello and Clementine.

Tracks:
01. Either Side of The Same Town (from The Delivery Man)
02. I Lost You (from National Ransom)
03. I’ll Wear It Proudly (from King Of America)
04. Why Can’t A Man Stand Alone (from All This Useless Beauty)
05. The Crooked Line (from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane)
06. Heart Shaped Bruise (from The Delivery Man)
07. That Day Is Done (from Paul McCartney’s Flowers In The Dirt and I Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray by The Fairfield Four)
08. Different Finger (from Trust)
09. I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came (from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane)
10. Stranger In The House (from Taking Liberties)
11. Indoor Firework (from King Of America)
12. Too Soon To Know (from Brutal Youth)
13. Powerless (MDC Original)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Vol 3 is available on the streaming sites!
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

I've really enjoyed all three volumes of this project. Some really nice and interesting arrangements of the songs--and it's nice to hear Steve's work on them.

Hoping the CD is released here in the States.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

sweetest punch wrote:Vol 3 is available on the streaming sites!
Available on YouTube also.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

[quote="Harry Lime"]I've really enjoyed all three volumes of this project. Some really nice and interesting arrangements of the songs--and it's nice to hear Steve's work on them.

I agree Harry. Sometimes their more plaintive vocals mean you can really pick out the great lyrics EC wrote. I actually prefer their version of I felt the chill.

I still think Lou sounds like Olivia Newton-John
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

Assuming England's lockdown is relaxed My Darling Clementine will be doing a socially distanced and streamed gig on Friday 11 December 2020 from The Met, a cracking little venue near me in Bury.

Streaming tix £9.00

https://themet.org.uk/event/my-darling-clementine-2020/ for details.

From the MDC website it doesn't look like they have any other dates lined up until they go to the US next April.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://louderthanwar.com/my-darling-cl ... um-review/

My Darling Clementine: Country Darkness – album review

Country Darkness sees the duo offer their own take on a selection of songs from Elvis Costello’s plethoric repertoire . Louder Than War’s Craig Chaligne reviews.

First issued as three separate vinyl EP’s, Country Darkness sees Lou Dalgleish and Michael Weston King cover the great Declan MacManus with the help of the man’s very own keys master Steve Nieve. As always with My Darling Clementine, you can feel much thought has gone into the project and the song selection suits the duo’s musical style perfectly. The other perk of this album is that for people who’ve had difficulties appreciating Elvis Costello’s songwriting due to his sometimes “idiosyncratic” vocal style, this is a perfect occasion to discover how great his songs really are. To throw in a bit of a lazy comparison, it is a bit like listening to Glen Campbell put his own spin on a great song and hear him make it even greater.

The album starts with a bang with “Either Side of the Same Town”. Costello’s earthly version sees him channel a rootsy vibe reminiscent of a FAME studios recording when MDC’s is a soaring soul song with much power. “I Lost You”, a co-write with songwriter Jim Lauderdale swaps its mix of violin and pedal steel for subtle arrangements where Nieve’s piano runs intertwine themselves with Shez Sheridan’s guitar lines. Nieve hits another home run on “I’ll Wear it Proudly” where his parts provides the perfect setting for Michael and Lou’s singing while his use of electric piano on “Why Can’t a Man Stand Alone” coupled with the horns of Matt Holland and Martin Winning gives a totally new angle on the song. The plaintive “Crooked Line” from 2009’s “Secret, Profane and Sugarcane” gets transformed in a breezy pop number and “Heart Shaped Bruise” with just a spare piano backing Lou’s great voice proves to be a highlight.

“That Day is Done”, a song co-written by Costello and Paul McCartney for the later’s “Flowers In The Dirt” LP strips away the sea shanty vibe of the original demo and adds a Memphis tearjerker slant to the song with a soulful horns build up in its second part. “Different Finger” gets a calypso treatment that really suits it and while the next two tracks are obvious candidates for the MDC “treatment”, “I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came” and “Stranger In The House” being dyed in the wool country songs, our hosts still manage to put their own spin on them. A spare “Indoor Fireworks” sees Lou start the song solo with just voice and piano before trading verses with Michael, hopefully this one will be part of the setlist when gigs resume as it is a show stopper. “Too Soon to Know” closes off the Costello selection on a gospel note before an MDC original titled “Powerless” which manages to sit comfortably against all these classic songs.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Just adding a link here to the Dangerous Amusements podcast.

In this episode, Lou and Michael discuss the Country Darkness project and working with Steve Nieve. Also they go back to the earlier stage show "They Call Her Natasha".

Apple podcasts

Others in the series are here - Dangerous Amusements.

MOOT
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Based on the topic popping back up on the forum, I listened to this album last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Steve's playing is great throughout, and all the songs make great duets.

Recommended!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Live stream of the concert on Saturday June 26: https://www.ents24.com/bury-events/the- ... ne/6211556