10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

Post by johnfoyle »

Some Burt Bacharach fans are marking this -

http://bacharachonline.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ef19867463

Last time I listened it sounded weak, a combination of too much keyboard effects and Elvis singing, mostly , way too high. As I commented elsewhere , versions of some of the songs from it by Dutch singer Trijntje Oosterhuis ( done with B.B. co-operation) are much better.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... t=Trijntje

I do , though , have great memories of the London show at the Royal Festival Hall. With a full string section, the songs really came to life. I also met up ,for the first time, with a lot of Costello fans that I had corresponded with by mail for years. It's hard to believe it has been 10 years!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1998-10-29
pophead2k

Re: 10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

Post by pophead2k »

While much of the production on PFM is tough to bear, I have remained a fan of several of the songs. 'Toledo', 'In the Darkest Place', and 'Painted from Memory' in particular.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I still love this record. Can't tell you how many times opening lines from PFM songs will pop into my head (In the darkest place, that is ...; these rooms play tricks upon you... now I have nothing... think back to when we were young...) along with their beautiful melodies. Burt and EC. Yeah baby. Happy anniversary.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Keep an eye on a certain board member's blog in about, say 10 days or so...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've listened again and have re-discovered some of the more positive elements of PFM. Great tunes, some gorgeous instrumentation and , as alexv mentions, some cracking lines. The keyboards don't seem as bad ; I must have been in a bit of a mood when I last heard it.

Here's my ticket (both sides) from the London show-

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

No plans to re-issue the album yet? it must be due for it's first re issue now since it's been 10 years. Apart from obvious contenders for an expanded edition, such as "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and "She", it would be interesting to compile some of the Bacharach covers from shows of that time. Personally I'd like to see included "Who are these people" (explicit version) which I haven't actually heard. Here's hoping it turns up here someplace...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The imposter wrote:No plans to re-issue the album yet? it must be due for it's first re issue now since it's been 10 years. Apart from obvious contenders for an expanded edition, such as "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and "She", it would be interesting to compile some of the Bacharach covers from shows of that time. Personally I'd like to see included "Who are these people" (explicit version) which I haven't actually heard. Here's hoping it turns up here someplace...
I agree, this album is due for a reissue. :)
But I hope they would reissue also the video "Sessions at West 54th" on DVD. This video only had a US-release and wasn't available in Europe.
And if I may keep dreaming: I wish they would release a "Painted From Memeory" - Live album. With CD1 containig the highlights from the Royal Festival Hall concert with Burt and Orchestra (29th October 1998). And CD2 containing the highlights from the Berlin concert (5th May 1999) with Steve Nieve. Both concerts were broadcasted on the radio and sound great, especially the Berlin concert (see: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=6&t=4881 )
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The Lonely World Tour with Elvis and Steve, which centered around PFM, was a triumph on every level. The PFM songs really took on their own character in the stripped down setting and, I daresay, held their own with other EC/SN classics.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I love this album and have been playing it this week! Can't believe its 10 years old. Coincidentally, I just had to throw out my chipped and cracked Lonely World Tour mug this week.

I remember a documentary on UK TV where EC and Burt were debating over the length of the gap between "so" and "this" in "So this house is empty now." And EC said that Burt would worry over how a certain syllable should be sung!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Not mentioned here , but Mr Claxton did the photos for the PFM cover-

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP ... ref=slogin

Music Photographer William Claxton Dies at 80

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 12, 2008

Filed at 9:13 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- William Claxton, a celebrated photographer who worked with such entertainers as Bob Dylan and Frank Sinatra and who helped establish the organization that runs the Grammy Awards, has died. He was 80.

Claxton died Saturday at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles of complications stemming from congestive heart failure, his son Christopher said.

He was best known for his soulful portraits of jazz artists such as Chet Baker, and he went on to photograph Dylan and other musicians such as Joni Mitchell and Tom Jones. His images graced the covers of numerous albums.

Claxton, a founding member of The Recording Academy, started his photography career in 1952 while a student at University of California, Los Angeles.

He also worked with Sinatra, Steve McQueen and Rebecca De Mornay, and his photographs regularly appeared in such magazines as Life, Paris Match and Vogue.

In the 1960s, Claxton collaborated with his wife, fashion model Peggy Moffitt, to create a collection of iconic images featuring Rudi Gernreich's fashion designs.

A film he directed from that era, ''Basic Black,'' is considered by many to be the first ''fashion video'' and is now part of the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Claxton also wrote 13 books and held dozens of exhibitions of his work around the world.

In 2003, he won the Lucie award for music photography at the International Photography Awards.

''He was a great photographer and a wonderful man who touched the lives of his friends through his generosity, charm and kindness,'' said his publisher Benedikt Taschen, founder and owner of Taschen Publishing, in a statement. ''Bill was very close to my heart and a pillar of our publishing house.''
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://winkscollectibles.blogspot.com/2 ... oming.html

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fifty Years of Burt Bacharach Coming From Rhino U.K.

Over the last few years, there have been a number of compilations of some of the best work of Burt Bacharach as performed by others. The U.K. gets a new one on October 20 with the 3-CD Magic Moments: The Definitive Burt Bacharach.

While many collections in the past concentrated on the hit versions of songs, this one goes out on a limb a little with some different versions, alternate takes and a few off-beat selections. The Fifth Dimension's version of One Less Bell to Answer is replaced with one by jazz singer Keely Smith. We get an alternate version of Cliff Richard's It's Wonderful to Be Young. There are even eight tracks by the composer himself, including two with Elvis Costello (who also provides the liner notes) and one with Rufus Wainwright.

There will be those who will complain on some of the version choices or of the fact that it is not sequenced chronologically, but the set is still a great addition for the fan or introduction to the composer for the new listener.

# CD 3

* God Give Me Strength - Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costello

* Who Are These People - Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costello

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Moments-D ... 671&sr=8-1
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

This is up on YouTube. Pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_MgQaTtscg
Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Because It's a Lonely World documentary
The story of the recording of the Painted From Memory album, shown on Channel 4 at the time of the album's release.

Is there a better copy somewhere?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester wrote:This is up on YouTube. Pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_MgQaTtscg
Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Because It's a Lonely World documentary
The story of the recording of the Painted From Memory album, shown on Channel 4 at the time of the album's release.

Is there a better copy somewhere?
This documentary was also broadcast on Dutch TV.
I have a VHS copy somewhere that has a better quality.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Since we're coming up on the 15th Anniversary, here's hoping that they'll finally put it out on VINYL!

If Elvis isn't going to make new records, the least he could do is pressure the right people to issue PFM, Kojak Variety and Brutal Youth on vinyl for the first time.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

cwr wrote:Since we're coming up on the 15th Anniversary, here's hoping that they'll finally put it out on VINYL!

If Elvis isn't going to make new records, the least he could do is pressure the right people to issue PFM, Kojak Variety and Brutal Youth on vinyl for the first time.
And I'm hoping for a Deluxe "Painted From Memory" boxset with demo's, live performances and a DVD-release of "Sessions at West 54th" and the "Because It's a Lonely World documentary".
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I agree that the Lonely World Tour was terrific. I saw the Montreal show - a lot of empty seats, not to mention a fair proportion of jackanapses chattering during songs - and it was probably the best Costello performance I've seen.

That said, I always found his vocals just too strained on this album. He was still too often in 'belting-and-hyper-vibrato' mode. Not until North did he figure it out, to my ear. But perhaps I just need more weed.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
cwr

Post by cwr »

I always think that if PFM had the production quality of NORTH it would have been just about perfect.
John

Post by John »

I've just seen this for the first time. Don't know how I missed it at the time. Elvis & Burt on TFI Friday with I Still Have That Other Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=parvQUClaIg

....and from the same show, I guess, a rather fun rendition of Peace, Love and Understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soEPZL96c7c
cwr

Post by cwr »

I've asked for this before, but I recall their performance of "I Still Have That Other Girl" on Late Show with David Letterman being STUNNING.

Is it online anywhere? Could someone upload it?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:I've asked for this before, but I recall their performance of "I Still Have That Other Girl" on Late Show with David Letterman being STUNNING.

Is it online anywhere? Could someone upload it?
I don't have that one, unfortunately.
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1998-09-28

This is audio (FM source) from a month later in London. Spectacular!

Here's the Feb 25, 1997 performance of GGMS which is very nice:

cwr

Post by cwr »

I was AT that London show, and it WAS spectacular!

I went with my mom and we had really great seats, center near the front. Man, that recording is such a vivid reminder!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well it's now past the 17th anniversary and UMDI made me listen to it again for the first time in years. I played it quite a bit at the time of release, and loved certain of the songs, but have always found the recording something of a letdown. The strained high voice we've commented on here and elsewhere, and the overall production is pretty dull (I like the comment above re PFM with North's production, I'd definitely like to hear that version!) but it struck me hearing it again that one thing I really dislike about the album overall are the backing vocals, just way too sugary, bland, showbizzy. They lack any strength of character and just make it feel like people are going through the motions. OK, they're only backing vocals, but I think of songs, e.g. Tears At There Birthday Party and I immediately hear the very annoying 'Close the door, dim the lights...' line and I wish they'd done it better.

I find the details of the collaborations in the book very engrossing, partly just to get a real sense of what it was like for Elvis, and the lack of ego that gives him his undying fandom, but it seems the only thing he criticises are his vocal limitations. The implication is that if you don't get it, it's your own limitation (he writes about Burt's music needing deep concentration, etc.). From it's more 'some great songs, great idea, not ideally realised.'
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I adore this recording, warts and all. It's okay to complain about Elvis' voice, but for me it only adds to the sincerity of the recording.

These are not easy songs to sing. Try it yourself, and see if you can even keep your breath. No person with a "beautiful" voice could do any better, in my opinion, and as always, it's content over performance for me, anyways.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

A rope leash wrote:I adore this recording, warts and all. It's okay to complain about Elvis' voice, but for me it only adds to the sincerity of the recording.

These are not easy songs to sing. Try it yourself, and see if you can even keep your breath. No person with a "beautiful" voice could do any better, in my opinion, and as always, it's content over performance for me, anyways.
I agree with all of this.

If they had, however, dropped down a half step, key-wise, on certain tracks, I think that it would have made for a more impactful album.

Nonetheless, it's a fine work.