Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
buzz

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by buzz »

I've just seen Ode to Joy on Netflix with Martin Freeman. It was a delight when Jackson Monk and Rowe played as part of the soundtrack. What a song!
belfast

Post by belfast »

At last night's (Wed., March 2) Elton John concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY, Elton gave a shout out to "Elvis and Diana," who apparently brought their two children to the concert as well.

It was the last Brooklyn show on Elton's farewell tour, and Elton mentioned that in order to resume the tour, the insurers demanded that the band follow strict COVID-19 protocol. (Other legacy artists of like age booking similar large venues have reported the same exact stipulations from their tour's insurance companies.) This means Elton and every band member has to remain in a social bubble - they do not see each other except when they're on-stage, and they do not socialize before or after shows, more or less remaining in their hotel rooms. As a result, he's not able to see friends that he would normally see in-person at each stop, hence the shout-outs. Elton was especially gracious towards Elvis, Diana and their children, calling them some of his favorite people, and earlier in the show he dedicated "Border Song" to Diana (presumably the same person).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.smoothradio.com/news/entert ... r-video/[b]

Brendan Cole had one of the most emotional moments of Dancing on Ice this year on Sunday's live show (March 13).
[/b]
Former Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer Brendan Cole took to the ice in last night's semi-final alongside partner Vanessa Bauer.

Brendan was tasked with performing a routine alongside a song that meant something special to him, and he selected Elvis Costello's cover of the ballad 'She'.

He dedicated the dance to both his wife Zoe and his late father Eddie.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
belfast

Post by belfast »

Love the Pogues, and I was introduced to them through the album EC produced (still my favorite Pogues LP along with the next one, If I Should Fall from Grace with God, which Steve Lillywhite produced).

One of the highlights of Rum Sodomy & the Lash is "A Pair of Brown Eyes," and now Cat Power has not only covered it, but she's released a video directed by Jim Jarmusch.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Did I dream it, or did someone start a thread about a live version of Imperial Bedroom tracks which he had compiled???? Was the thread removed?
It had a link to a blog but I did not have time to look at it.

Also, EC gets a mention in the BBC drama Everything I know about Love!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mikeh wrote:Did I dream it, or did someone start a thread about a live version of Imperial Bedroom tracks which he had compiled???? Was the thread removed?
It had a link to a blog but I did not have time to look at it
I saw it. Presumably there were legal issues and the poster was contacted by Dr Spooky. Purely conjecture on my part.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Robinbrevard

Post by Robinbrevard »

That was my thread.

For now, let's just say I am politely inquiring about it, and will report something back here ... if I'm allowed to.

By the way, I have NO idea why it was deleted.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That was my thread.

For now, let's just say I am politely inquiring about it, and will report something back here ... if I'm allowed to.

By the way, I have NO idea why it was deleted.
This forum has received warnings from Elvis's management re posting links to recordings of Elvis work that have not been released by Elvis. I interpreted your post as being a collection of recordings of live performances by Elvis so I deleted it. I hadn't played any of the recordings, I just focused on preempting the possibility of incurring another warning.

Perhaps the recordings were of other people performing tribute recordings of Elvis's work. If so,sorry. Please feel free to share them again.

Apologies for not responding more quickly . I have a lot going on at the moment and regret that I can't enage as much as I would like with this forum .
Robinbrevard

Post by Robinbrevard »

Got it. I will keep this in mind and be sure I don't post such stuff publicly in the future.

Cheers,

Rob
Psc

Post by Psc »

Don't know if anyone on here listens to Radcliffe & Maconie on BBC 6music - "Tiny Steps" was played on yesterday's show (Sunday 19th) as part of the Teatime Theme Time. Must be pretty rare to hear that one on the radio!
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

watching the first episode of Pistol on Disney+ Ross MacManus and his second wife are shown at the begining as two hippies
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Psc wrote:Don't know if anyone on here listens to Radcliffe & Maconie on BBC 6music - "Tiny Steps" was played on yesterday's show (Sunday 19th) as part of the Teatime Theme Time. Must be pretty rare to hear that one on the radio!
Yeah I heard that too. Big fan of R&M. They are both huge music fans but both seem to be EC fans. Radcliffe duets on Thea Gilmore's take on "St Stevens Day Murders". Marconie regularly quotes Elvis on the show, plus I remember a ton of years ago being in an Oxfam shop and thumbing thru one of his books. It was essays on music with a chapter on Get Happy !!. I wish I'd bought it.....
Psc

Post by Psc »

I can totally recommend his memoir "Cider With Roadies" in which he talks a lot about his love for Elvis and his music.
So much so, that at one point when they were students him and his mates spent some time following Ross MacManus around on tour and Ross started to recognise them and played a cover of one of his son's songs for them :shock: :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Cheers - will attempt to locate CwR in our library. Not read any of his books but we went to a 'one man show' a few years ago to publicise his 'Long Road to Jarrow' which was extremely good fun.

(Being an Everton fan ) in recent years listening to the R&M show has often been the highlight of my weekend!!!!
verbal gymnastics

Psc wrote:So much so, that at one point when they were students him and his mates spent some time following Ross MacManus around on tour and Ross started to recognise them and played a cover of one of his son's songs for them :shock: :D
Brilliant!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I wasnt sure R&M were Elvis fans, I remember Stuart says something sarky about Elvis doing his best Elvis Costello impression when the carpetbaggers single with Jenny Lewis came out. :D

That comment came back into my mind when listening to latest single Fire with Rita Wilson

Tiny Steps is a great tune
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Beyond Belief" is #47 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 1982.
Elvis Costello had already tried his hand at acerbic punk, pop, and country. But on his 1982 Imperial Bedroom, he went for piano tunes with a vintage lounge-crooner style, though as Elvis put it, the songs “exhibit a malaise of the spirit and a sinking feeling about happy endings.” (Big surprise.) “Beyond Belief” is a concise whirl through a bad night in a sinister cocktail bar, with a would-be rake on the prowl for romance, but coming face to face with his own vanity. As he sings, “So in this almost empty gin palace / Through a two-way looking glass, you see your Alice.” (Or is that “you see you’re Alice”?) It all builds to an incredible crescendo of drunk delirium and self-loathing. “Beyond Belief” is the soundtrack to a night you never want to have again — although the guy in this song will probably have the same night tomorrow.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

John Hodgman mentions Elvis in his book, 'Vacationland'. In the chapter Daddy Pitchfork, John is at a college party he was invited to where he was giving a speech. He is trying to impressed students and faculty with the cool music he listens to. Because he is the guest of honor they are using his iPod to listen. When he hears someone say that they are not a fan of Elvis Costello he puts on Olivers Army
Last edited by ice nine on Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.vogue.fr/wedding/article/we ... sive-vogue

Exclusive: Naomi Biden on her White House wedding
“We're so close to our families, so we always knew we’d get married in someone’s backyard."

On the Tuesday evening before her wedding, under the watchful eye of a Secret Service agent, Naomi Biden, 28, and her soon-to-be husband, Peter Neal, 25, came downstairs from their living quarters on the third floor of the White House residence to practice their first dance. The setting was the marble-floored Cross Hall, and Naomi, wearing pajamas and unsure how to work the White House speakers, played Elvis Costello’s “Still”’ on her iPhone as she and her fiancé improvised a casual waltz.
(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC attended Lucinda Williams' 70th birthday party.
Lucinda Williams 1.jpg
Lucinda Williams 1.jpg (192.65 KiB) Viewed 63870 times
Lucinda Williams 2.jpg
Lucinda Williams 2.jpg (159.53 KiB) Viewed 63870 times
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoP_vr0p1zP/
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Lovely to see EC in an Everton hat :lol:
verbal gymnastics

:lol:
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I have started to research my family tree and a line popped into my head: “among the broken branches of the family tree.”

I could hear the tune and that line but it took me ages to remember the song. What a lovely line, though!
verbal gymnastics

fred darden

Post by fred darden »

i've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. i work at a music venue in chicago, vic theatre, and a couple of weeks ago margo price performed. noticed on the set list while setting up, her encore included pump it up. asked the guitar tech if it was elvis, he said it was. he said that her version was going to be on a soundtrack for an upcoming movie, downtown owl with music compiled by t-bone burnett. asked if there were going to be anymore elvis songs on there, he didn't know, however charley crockett also has a track on it.